navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 [52]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 149761 times)
M

« Reply #765 on: July 21, 2020, 07:25:01 AM »

Hiya, been a bit quiet but lots going on and changing. I started to get some days off as Anna began to let some volunteers back. Trying to minimise crossover of people. Then I went down with man-flu, and afetr a week of exhaustion, fevers and taste so strong it was hard to eat anything I got a C19 test, which was negative - Wifey and I were quite shocked at that. So, me and my cleaning buddy (neighbour) have been doing Monday's, morning and afternoon, this way less risk of bumping into people or cross contamination.

So, what news. Well, apart from pregnant cats, or cats with kittens, pretty much every cat has moved on to homes, so things are going great. News on my recent favourite Bruce who has totally charmed his new owners and their children, so won't be a barn cat, and has moved in permanently, even sleeps on the children's beds.

Also got to fuss a lovely cat yesterday who had miscarried two kits a couple of weeks ago, but after a scan it turned out the remaining kits were alive, which is (apparently) incredible. And ..... and .... I also got to meet her two new kittens, only a day old, but beautiful, just like mum. I went to take a photo, then remembered I have a bad track record when it comes to posting pics of small kits, so I won't tempt fate on this occasion.

Where the main building is based is next to an old tool hire site which has planning permission for 30 apartments, and work is now starting. The problem is that two of the four surrounding walls that form the compound we are in, will be demolished, so the plan now is to reduce cat numbers and fall back on the old converted garage (just 100m away). At least that's the plan, but yesterday on returning for the afternoon shift, we found that Anna had been busy, and a pen that was empty in the morning, now had thirteen kittens in it, yep 13! That kept us busy for 30 mins, despite not needing any food or water and the litter trays were still clean - hard to explain where the 30 mins went.  whistlie

Overall, kitten season is coming to an end, homed over 100 kittens, and we may run out of reservations before we run out of kits, but close enough, and kittens are always wanted, so another crazy kitten season comes to a close with success.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #766 on: July 21, 2020, 09:59:01 AM »

Hi Mart,   
        Still need to be carefull.
 There is word of tests  coming back negative but  should have given a positive result. Latest is a 19yr old who isolated and died of Covid19,  after testing negative.
 Just be careful with that Man-Flu.
 We cannot afford to lose you . fingers crossed!
     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #767 on: July 21, 2020, 11:07:37 AM »

Great to hear Bruce has fallen on is paws, lucky boy.

As Biff says take care Mart. Grin

Kidwelly South Wales
Tigger

« Reply #768 on: July 21, 2020, 11:09:47 AM »

Hey Mart, good to hear from you again.  

Great news about the Brucemeister, he has clearly landed on his feet.

Hope all goes well with the building works next door and you manage to make the necessary re-arrangements.

So a box full of kittens and 30 minutes vanished, nope, can't understand that one at all......

Good to know you survived what appeared to be man-flu.  Biff's right, we can't afford to lose you and neither can all those cats and kittens  Grin

Keep up the good work  Smiley

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
M

« Reply #769 on: July 21, 2020, 01:50:20 PM »

Hi Mart,   
        Still need to be carefull.
 There is word of tests  coming back negative but  should have given a positive result. Latest is a 19yr old who isolated and died of Covid19,  after testing negative.
 Just be careful with that Man-Flu.
 We cannot afford to lose you . fingers crossed!
     Biff

Thanks Biff. The fact that under pretty tight lockdown I managed to catch 'just a virus', really brought home to me how hard it is to avoid catching C19. I really don't want to die nor have a rotten illness with long term problems, so trying my best to be good ..... but clearly not good enough since I caught something.

One of the volunteers caught it right at the start in March (not from the cattery), and is still really ill, and suffering badly from 'Covid Brain' with depression, negativity etc..

Bit of black humour funny story, but my neighbour/cleaning buddy fostered a kitten about 3 weeks ago that was found locally in a puddle and looking pretty rough. She was very small, but looked bigger as she's very fluffy, and whilst mostly very dark tortie, she has a ginger tuft between her shoulders, so she looks like a guinea pig.

They have had to bottle feed her as she wouldn't take solids, but is doing better now. However, she has a habit of 'dying', or at least appearing to. The first time was late in the evening, she went unconscious and limp, so my friend just cuddled her and waited for her to pass. Two hours later she's running around like a nutter. It happened twice more over the next two weeks and she went to the vets who couldn't find anything wrong with her at all, certainly not a heart problem, so possibly neurological. But when they first saw her they did say she appears to be going, nothing we can do. An hour later she's running around the vets. She did have a course of antibiotics, and no episode since (nearly two weeks), so we're wondering if it could have been some sort of bacteria in the brain, a parasite etc..

The reason this is sorta funny, is that her husband won't let the cat go now. He's become devoted to her, as has the family dog who she attacks relentlessly. Her husband said if we are going to lose her either way (adoption or dying) then they might as well keep her and enjoy her.

Fingers crossed whatever was wrong has or will get better.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #770 on: July 21, 2020, 08:06:52 PM »

Yo Mart ,
          Just pulled out my complete works of Jung and Freud (2 words,, not available) and not a word about kittens with epilepsy, yet in a short story by Frank O Connor, fainting and passing out was considered a trait of the well bred upper classes.
 Yet I myself know  that many animals who consider their situation  hopeless and indefensible  will go into survival mode and faint and lie like they were dead with a heart beat barely  discernible  or as Tonto himself say.   Him Play Possum.
   It's  paying off in spades  or car food. Clever moggie
       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
M

« Reply #771 on: August 25, 2020, 06:50:05 PM »

Cat news, for anyone interested.

So lots of little stories, mostly nice ones. Such as the mad ginger kitten (about 5 months old) who arrived one Monday afternoon. He wasn't there for our morning shift, but greeted us in the afternoon with constant growls and hisses, but also against the pen door, so we let him out, and he strutted around hissing at everything, and growling at us when we snuck a quick fuss. After a while we realised he was odd, and possibly couldn't speak cat. I played with him by wiggling my fingers and he flipped on his side and swated my hands with enough fearsome noises to scare my cleaning buddy, but his swipes were clawless. very odd.
That week I had to build a stud partition wall at the end of the cattery as the brick wall we went up against is to be demolished as part of a large development next door. Ginge's pen was right next to me, and he'd howl at me non stop for a fuss, so when he was half way up the mesh door I opened it, and scooped him for a fuss, and he purred and cuddled. He did this each day (I only worked an hour or so each day as my back's not great. One day he sort of threw himself sideways at me before I really had my hands under him. Really sad to see him go, but vids of me cuddling him 'sold' him in hours once we realised he was super friendly, just making noise (on day one) for attention.

Then we had Sassy, she was really special. Having decided to have kittens in a garden, she got attacked by the household dog, which also killed a couple of the kits, the rest went for fostering as she needed a lot of vet care. She came into us with almost all her tail removed, and other wounds on the back end, and no fur (shaved for the op) from halfway down. I was read the riot act about touching her, and the need to be careful, but to be honest I was really scared myself - feral + female + recent mother + wounds and in pain + strange place and people ..... she ticked every box for a visit to A&E.
So I started talking to her, and blinking at her, and offering a knuckle through the bars of her crate, and she just hissed at me, a bit pathetically. So then I popped my arm in, and offered the knuckle for a swipe/bite, and whilst she hissed at me all the time, she didn't do anything else. Over a few days I started to tickle her head on the side by her ears and then stroke her head. She got this treatment for about 10 mins before I did some wall building, and ten mins at the end each day.
Then after about 10 days she started leaning her head into my fusses, and shortly after, and luckily the day Wifey popped down to see her and Ginge, she started butting her head up into my hand. Couple of days later while I stroked her gently and risked touching her lower bare back (cats can get defensive when you go near their rears) she popped her bum right up in the air, and even put her tail (all one or two inches of it) straight up.
Sadly, but also great news, she got adopted that day by a woman who'd been shown vids of me touching her, so I was really, really chuffed that she'd shown me such a sweet response that day.
She's doing well with her new owner, who is wonderfully patient with her, and can now, almost pick her up.

What else. Got a new 'Bruce' in yesterday. He's a big chap, probably 14lbs and very scared, but trying his best to be brave. His owner got evicted on Sunday night, and rang Anna late in the evening crying and asking her for help. She said he was a big tough looking man, who was really worried about the cat's welfare. I think he was a bit of a spoiled house cat, so is finding the rescue very intimidating, but he started eating today and even allowed a brief cuddle.

Lots of kittens too, some recovering from cat flu, and some painting their pens brown with liquid, so they can't be adopted yet. The cat flu kits are getting well and don't stop running around their pen and fighting, but when I scoop them up they don't play they just cwtch, one curls up in my arms against my chest, and the other climbs on my shoulder and just head rubs my ear and face whilst purring - they are adorable.

And in a reverse of normal, we had a friendly mum with feral kittens. It's usually the other way round. Basically this mum who is so sweet, she must have been a house cat at some point, had kits away from people, and now the large 12 week old kits are semi-feral and hiss at us, whilst mum wants headbutts and cuddles. The four kits were large enough to be flight risks, and catching large kits is a nightmare, so I spent several days climbing inside their crates or pens, and being locked in whilst I cornered them and fussed them - they hated every second of it, but started to come round, and have now been adopted by folk who don't mind a challenge. Mum is recovering from spaying yesterday, but still super friendly and hopefully will be adopted this week.

I think that's enough for now, and hopefully I've helped everyone fall fast asleep. ;-)

Tigger

« Reply #772 on: August 25, 2020, 07:51:44 PM »

Hi Mart,

So good to hear lots of nice stories from you, indeed I will try to remember them tonight when I go to bed and maybe I'll manage some sweet dreams for a change.

Keep up the good work, you and the team have my greatest admiration.

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
Fintray

« Reply #773 on: August 25, 2020, 07:57:50 PM »

Well done to you and the rest of the team there Mart  Smiley

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #774 on: August 26, 2020, 06:13:27 AM »

Lovely stories M, hat doffed to you and your team mates. Terrific way to start my day with a smile.

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #775 on: August 26, 2020, 12:18:21 PM »

Just a quick update. The lovely 'flu-kits' (who have now recovered) got adopted yesterday, as did a few other cats. We are down to an absolute minimum having closed the main building, for the large development work next door, but we may have a flood of kits coming in following a call from the Council bin team, who found some playing near (and in) some bins - tracked down to another hoarder house and a neighbour who is most helpful and suspects there may be 15+ kits (plus cats) there.

Here's a pic of big Vincent, who is probably more than a stone actually, as I picked him up for a cuddle today (after he purred his way through some belly rubs), so he's improved each day:

And best of all, an hour ago Anna let me know that he's been adopted and now in a new home.

And just for fun, here's our boy Buster trying to sneak a snooze, but failing as Mr Tibbs took full advantage of the opportunity for some cuddles with him:

Tigger

« Reply #776 on: August 26, 2020, 04:00:32 PM »

More great news Mart and love those pics.  I've been working since 1am and getting a bit drained and that's just cheered me up no end, thank you Smiley

M

« Reply #777 on: September 01, 2020, 11:13:10 AM »

Quiet(ish)* day today, some cats, some kits and a feral who seems to like me (or at least not hate me) so will be getting 'the treatment' from me, with daily visits for a small fuss.

But yesterday was fun. We were doing OK, a bit messy and flustered, then Anna arrives with a 'bag of kits', having had a call from a farmer that morning that he'd found them.

So she went and got them, then we cleaned them all up, and tried to dry them as much as possible, before popping them in front of a hot air blower:

An hour later 3 sets of fosters arrived and took 2 each.

How professional is that!

*Demolition work on the site next door has started today, so there was a lot of rumbling noise, and clatter of tracked vehicles, but it is what it is.

Tigger

« Reply #778 on: September 01, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »

Oh my goodness Mart, how seriously cute, a bag full of kitties.  Great news that they've been fostered out so quickly, well done Smiley

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #779 on: September 01, 2020, 01:08:11 PM »

A bag of kittens what fun. Sounds like a certain 'big river' you can track your kittens by clicking here. Your kittens will arrive between.....
Blimey you are getting efficient.
 genuflect

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 [52]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: