navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 [56]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Navipets!  (Read 160470 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #825 on: February 18, 2021, 07:28:05 AM »

.......also known as Claude Bottom, the one-time lion tamer (with thanks to dear old Ken Dodd).

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
M

« Reply #826 on: March 04, 2021, 07:33:31 AM »

Got some pics to share.

First the shy cat, who we finally named - Ronnie. He turned out to be an absolute sweetheart

Also shows off some of the changes I've made, with the insulation and cladding of the external walls, and the addition of the secondary roof/ceiling, just twin wall polycarb mounted slightly below the 'real' roof. Much warmer and quieter.

Ronnie did get homed, and within hours we had a vid of him cuddling on the lap of the new owner. Sadly, later that day he broke the locked cat flap and popped out. Fingers crossed that he'll hang around and be caught, or return.

Then we have Binx, or 'Binx the barsteward' as he came in named. He was not happy, and was lunging at his rescuers. I was warned, but when I met him the next day I think he was unwell, tired and scared, and he let me tickle his cheek, with the occassional poppy hiss. After a few days of laying on the floor next to his crate (we had to keep him in a small space so he could be boxed up for vet visits, which is tricky for scared cats in large pens) he started to enjoy cheek rubs, so long as I stayed away from his back. I thought he had diesel or something on him, as his fur was bleached and 'glued up' but apparently this is a thing that can happen to cats who are out too much, where they get a massive mat, then it gets ripped off, and they develop a sort of weathered mat.

and after a vet trip, and semi settled in a pen

Yesterday I met a new boy, he's simply massive, a silver Maine Coon with giant mits. But he's scared, underweight, and his tail is in poor shape, so missing the massive fluffy fan at the moment. He's called Taffy, but might become Aslan

We also have five 'feral' large kittens, which were found on a farm, but we think they may have been dumped as they are scared, but not terrified. We can fuss them all, but four are very submissive. However number five screams at us each morning when we arrive to be let out, then follows us around, or cuddles up on our shoulders. We are trying to persuade it to tell its siblings that we aren't that bad.

Here are two trying to hide behind a litter tray

Loads more cats, especially large, scared, street boys, so mornings are long as we have to fuss them all individually. When we are full of house cats, who are neutered with nothing to prove, we can often just open multiple pens, and let them interact and play, which gives them social interaction whilst we clean the pens, but things can go very bad, very fast, when big boys still hopped up on testosterone meet!

Anyways, time to go to work, might see if Taffy wants a cuddle today. Yesterday he enjoyed head rubs, but kept hissing at me whenever he got scared, and his canines were soo big they actually intimidated me ...... do not want those in me.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
AndrewE

« Reply #827 on: March 04, 2021, 08:27:06 AM »

Maybe somebody's pet...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/04/cat-on-a-fast-train-roof-holds-up-london-to-manchester-service?utm_term=a77873108439f58657cef0d2a9f145dd&utm_campaign=GuardianTodayUK&utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&CMP=GTUK_email

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #828 on: March 04, 2021, 09:54:23 AM »

As always Mart a pleasure to read your posts as chief animal behaviorist and hear the latest cat adventures. Grin
It seems the numbers that you have is increasing, 4000 is a great many strays to rehouse.

Kidwelly South Wales
M

« Reply #829 on: March 04, 2021, 12:22:49 PM »

As always Mart a pleasure to read your posts as chief animal behaviorist and hear the latest cat adventures. Grin
It seems the numbers that you have is increasing, 4000 is a great many strays to rehouse.

+1 more this morning, nice story!

So, my neighbour and cleaning partner Di (Diane) and I head down at 8.30 this morning. We currently do 5 mornings, but hopefully back to 2 in a week or so as Covid restrictions ease a bit.
There's a lovely lady waiting for us, to drop of a cat. It's a sweet girl, who her dog likes, but her cat doesn't. She turned up in the garden a year ago, and the lady sneaks it in when her husband isn't there. But it has to go.
So Di starts getting all the info, and I pop the cat in a pen, and as it seems reasonably friendly and relaxed I decide to scan it as it looks like a house cat. I get a hit, and go to tell the lady, just as she's telling DI, that it is chipped and two people from Cats Protection popped round a year ago, scanned it, but the phone number was dead.
Di takes a pic of the scan number and sends it to Anna.

The lovely lady shows me a vid of her dog and the cat playing outside, gives us a donation, and a bar of chocolate and leaves.

Anna arrives 10 mins later, she's checked the number, it's dead, but asked another volunteer to knock the door just in case.

30 mins later we hear that the address is correct, it is there cat, and they do want it (sometimes they don't!!!!!). It's been missing for 2yrs, but much loved.

30 mins later they arrive, they recognise the cat, the cat definitely recognises them, and they start crying. Then head off home with their cat.

How's that for service?

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Tigger

« Reply #830 on: March 05, 2021, 10:54:47 AM »

Oh wow, what a lovely story, reunited after two years.  That's got to make everybody feel good Smiley

SN15 (Wiltshire) 30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 54 55 [56]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: