navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inflation back in the mists of time.  (Read 3655 times)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« on: March 17, 2014, 05:59:15 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26605974

It looks like the standard model of the "big bang theory" has seen one of its predictions receive a fillip.
Inflation was postulated to try and explain why the universe as we see it is so smooth, it does look pretty similar wherever we look. This seems a bit odd when there has been 14bn years for gravity to clumpify it, BICEP2 seems to have found evidence of the ripples in spacetime that would be produced by inflation just after the big bang.

Coool eh?

That's how I understand it anyway, but I could very well be mistook Wink

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 09:47:13 PM »

........and if you ever wondered what gravitational waves were then this girl will help you to visualise with the assistance of her towel and an apple (my mind is racing).
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25254-gravitational-waves-explained-with-a-towel-and-apple.html#.UyoPImtYCSM
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
eastcoastdave

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 11:38:03 AM »

It just goes to show that Douglas Adams was right in the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy;  You should always have your towel with you.  In this case I think to wrap around your head when it starts hurting from too much deep thinking.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:45:35 AM by eastcoastdave » Logged

4 kWp PV System. 16x250w Phono Solar Mono Black Panels. Aurora One 3.6 Invertor
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 04:49:14 PM »

I've relied on total improbability drive for years.  Things just get less and less probable as you get older, but not noticed the expected increase in velocity.

Kidwelly South Wales
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:53:48 PM »

How did the universe expand faster than the speed of light?

Kidwelly South Wales
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 06:06:14 PM »

How did the universe expand faster than the speed of light?

That's the inflation bit at the very start of the expansion, I don't think the scientists really know how it all works under those extreme conditions, same as the singularity of a black hole regular physics falls to bits. That's partly why they are so excited by this, it could just be a hint of how Gravity fits together with the other three forces and also how quantum physics relates to large scale effects. I read loads of books and am very interested in cosmology and all that, but I don't pretend to understand it much.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 06:24:01 PM »

Aye Desp..
I knew all about black holes when I was younger about 8yrs old,a kind of a young Einstein or H..awkins.I was able to run in the door and tell me mam who it was got banged up for fighting at the fair and got slung into the black hole,(chokey)
                                                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 03:01:31 PM »

A very brief Ted talk on inflation.
http://www.ted.com/talks/allan_adams_the_discovery_that_could_rewrite_physics?utm_source=newsletter_weekly_2014-04-05&utm_campaign=newsletter_weekly&utm_medium=email&utm_content=talk_of_the_week_button

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: