navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Approximate costs for a biomass boiler  (Read 11402 times)
Brandon

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »

As a Biomass installer, I can honestly put my hand up and say that since the incarnation of the MCS i HAVE put my prices up.

WHY?

The paperwork burden has meant that I have had to to stand still.  Am i earning any more? no.  was I busy before all this came about? yes.  am I glad that the MCS and RHI are driving the market? not really. 

We install both the "fiat" and "audi" end of the spectrum.  There have been jobs where I could do the whole install for the price of the spandangled boiler that went in.  Horses for courses.

changing the world, one roof at a time.

Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of
high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and
skilful execution; It represents the wise choice of many
alternatives.
martin W

what do you mean my snoring is too loud!

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 04:15:33 AM »

Brandon,

I fully appreciate that installer costs have to rise quite a bit due to all the paperwork and faffing about, and I don't think there's that many at the installer end milking the RHI.

I do feel, that some boiler manufactures could well be...

I remember that my materials for my 3kW PV install were around 7k in Dec 2012, when the fit was still 39p, fit drops to 21p and hey presto 2 months later same kit around 5K.... someone much further up the supply chain was 'to my mind' making a lot of profit and it certainly wasn't the installer or Navitron.

Sorry to digress away from original OP.

Oh and I just re-read my original post..... it looks like a blooming advert, it wasn't meant to be...sry bout that.  facepalm

Woodstove owner since Feb 2011 Tongue (yes it's finally off the pallet)
Solar Water Heating since 17th March 2009, 2.94kW PV since Dec 2011
Chicken Owner - Self sufficient in chicken c*@p, boy watch those tomatoes grow. Allotment owner since August 2011
Now an Lister wannabie Tongue
brackwell

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 08:41:52 AM »

People need to understand that it takes along time for some things to work through the supply chain.  In some cases this will be a yr+.   Imagine ordering in advance,and maybe paying in advance for a foreign made item with say a 6 month delivery date, 1 month shipping , Held on the shelves for 3 months (turning stock 4X a yr is good going for engineering type items) by the importer/distributor. Held by the trade installer for 2 months before it is fitted.

The fact that by the time the item is fitted the manufacturer has dropped the price by x% is irrelevant and i wonder what people would say if asked for more money because the manufacturers price had increased !

RHI and MCS and product certification and Green Deal and EPC and added insurance and and ..are all adding to costs which at the end of the day are all paid for by  US the customer.  I have no doubt that these costs are now doubling the price.

Ken
peter_964rs

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 08:24:12 AM »

Just for interest, I have had a quote come through for a 50kW ETA boiler & associated buffer tank, hopper with suction etc, heat pipe from my garage, where the boiler will be sited, to my house. Plus replumbing the house with new rads (large house with micro bore pipes).

78k+VAT

Seems excessive to me!

Waiting for comparable quotes.
daserra

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 12:36:05 PM »

Wow that's a lot of heating oil, probably a lifetimes supply.

Rammed earth/ytong PassivFrankenHaus.
In the hills in Southern Portugal.
Borehole, on-grid.
Home made pool solar.
bxman

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 01:19:21 PM »

WOW

would you think of spending 30 k on insulation ?

Snowy

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 01:57:12 PM »

We are in the process of pricing bio-mass boiler for a recently refurbished and newly insulated 4 bedroom farm house. We have had 3 quotes - 1 Guntamatic Biocom 50-Flex fully - a complete system including RHI paperwork done for 42700 + vat. A Grant Spira 9-36Kw pellet with albion ultrasteel 250l unvented cylinder but no RHI help or pellet store for 12,100 + vat, an ETA 50kW for 37,577 + VAT including everything apart from help with the RHI paperwork. I understand this can be outsourced for around 400.  The whole thing is a mindfield. Hope this helps.
I would be interested in knowing peoples thoughts and experiences on the Grant Spira system - good and bad please.
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 09:23:32 AM »

I would be interested in knowing peoples thoughts and experiences on the Grant Spira system - good and bad please.

I have the smaller 6/26 and next door there's a 9/36... after a full year we're both pleased with the build, the running of them and the cost. I'll almost certainly stick to hand-loading 10 kg bags, next door is in the process of building a bulk store. It's early days compared to our much longer experience of oil, but so far (clutching handfulls of wood) they're just as automatic - ie 'no trouble'.

Chas
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: