navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fork Lift batteries -worth buying?  (Read 18021 times)
timbo

« on: November 18, 2007, 01:00:55 PM »

I have found an ex-fork-lift vattery for sale and would appreciate any advice as to whether it is worth buying:

It is a Hoppecke 36 cells type oPZs 5 450 cell, originally 450Ah.

It was last used a year ago and has since sat, uncharged in a container.

The guy charged it for a few hours at 40A and it had stood 6 hours before I took these readings.

I noticed that the terminals felt quite warm...obviously some self discharge happening..is this serious?

Looking into the top of the cells they all have visible flakes of metal (Pb) lying flat on top of the plates. There seemed to be a risk that these will cause internal shorts?

1 2.097 V  1275sg
2 2.060 1260

4m^2 wet solar panel, wood stoves. 10kW roof mount P.V. grid connected.
6kW Kingspan turbine expected soon.
timbo

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 01:07:33 PM »

oops...clicked "post before finishing....

3 2.073 1260
4 2.020 1200 (bad one)
5 2.089 1275
6 2.084 1260
7 2.058 1250
8 2.051 1240

these are typical of the 36 ( I measured them all).

I pulled a cell out of the box, unfortunately the sides ar opaque green so I can't tell how much is left of the plates but I think he would let me open of of the "dead" ones to see what has happened inside.

He says he knew someone who emptied the cells, steam cleaned all the flakes out and refilled them...I could do this. I wondered what happens to the huge stored energy (even in these partly chaged cells) if you drain the electrolyte out so they are open circuit inside. Is it a dangerous thing to do ?

Any advice welcome.

Tim.

camillitech

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 08:37:25 PM »

hi timbo,

if it were me and they were the right price i'd buy em, that is unless you were needing all of them. if the terminals were getting warm they probably just need cleaning. me i'd set the best 24 up in a 48v bank, give them a MEGA equalization charge, check the sg then see how they preform for a couple of days then re check the sg. dunno about the flakes right enough, the steam cleaner sounds a bit brutal, how about just replacing the electrolyte though it's probably quite expensive and dangerous Shocked could you tip it out and strain it Huh

like i've said before i'm no expert Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
timbo

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 07:59:01 AM »

HI,

Yes, I can tip it out and strain it so long as it won't cause any damage to dry them out...I still can't figure out what happens to all the stored energy if you just open circuit them!

I am going back this morning to see how the cells have held their charge...if they are pretty much as they were on saturday I'll haggle and see what I can get them for.

timbo

camillitech

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 08:40:48 AM »

good luck, dunno what happens to the sored energy either but i have emptied and refilled batteries before with no ill effect.

cheers, paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
timbo

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 12:00:57 PM »

Hi,

I measured the volages this morning and they had all drifted down by just 20mV so I haggled and got the whole set and frame for 150, which is not a huge premium over the scrap value if they turn out bad :-)

I'll put some pictures and a report hereb after I try reconditoning them as there doesn't seem to be much written about it online. (just lots of web sites, that look like scams, selling magic powders to put in each cell!!)

All being well , I should have 48V / 400 Ah after a bit of work, and will feel good about having recycled rather than buying new.

Tim.

camillitech

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 09:33:27 PM »

don't think you can go wrong at that price timbo Grin and you've got a few extra to play with Cool

timbo

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 03:04:15 PM »

So far, so good.....

I set up 24 cells and have run an equalisation charge with a 20A 24V charger on half the set, after 36 hours all the SG's came up to 1260.

The second set are coming up but ONE cell is stuck at 1175 SG, before I swap it, is it worth draining the acid, rinsing out with distilled water then refilling with new 1280 SG acid ? or is this a waste of time as the plates must be sulphated?

Tim.

(I stripped one cell down and there is a small amount of black sludge at the bottom but the 5 lead anode plates are still 8mm thick and should be good for years if I can clean the sulphate off.)

Ivan
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 08:42:23 PM »

I'm pretty sure you could revitalise the battery as you suggest - but first read up on safety issues. Working with lead is hazardous, especially if you are creating dust. Lead can be absorbed through skin, so it's worth being careful. Also, the waste material (whatever you scrape off the plates, and the sludge at the bottom) are hazardous, and shouldn't go in your dustbin or down a drain. You might be able to get it recycled at your local tip, if they collect car batteries (if you have an old battery, maybe you could put this stuff in through the vent holes and then recycle it)
timbo

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 09:51:58 PM »

Hi Ivan, I have considered the hazardous waste problem and was planning on disposing of the lead sludge as you suggested in some old tractor batteries delivered to the scrap yard.

I am going to try a complete re-build on some cells too, cleaning the plates with EDTA to completely remove the sulphate before re-assembly with fresh sulphuric acid, this should make them as good as new.

Tim.

pete-filldir

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 11:50:40 AM »

Tim how did you get on with your batteries?

Pete

Twll tin pob sais
Smooth Hound

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2008, 02:28:37 PM »

i have also just bought some battery banks, i have one bank of 6x2 v batteries which is 250 amp hours, which i am thinking of putting in my caravanette, for power whilst i am away, if i charged them off a charger first before starting to use them, and then wired it up to the alternator , would that be ok , or would it be too much for the alternator. the other bank i have is a 400 ah 12v bank which i will use at home with my rutland 910, does that sound ok?, if anyone has any remarks or advice about this, or either of the ideas i have.
Smooth Hound

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2008, 03:02:07 PM »

here is some pictures of them, i am thinking of replacing the wires screwed to the top of the 400 ah battery terminals, with jubilee clips and heavier wire.? everything about this for me is a question mark, as i am new to this, so anyone with anything to say about this would be welcome Wink

* PICT0204.JPG (91.4 KB, 640x480 - viewed 615 times.)
Smooth Hound

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2008, 03:08:51 PM »

and these pics

* PICT0205.JPG (92.46 KB, 640x480 - viewed 572 times.)
Smooth Hound

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2008, 03:15:15 PM »

and this

* PICT0206.JPG (92.9 KB, 640x480 - viewed 606 times.)

* PICT0205.JPG (92.46 KB, 640x480 - viewed 566 times.)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: