navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fork Lift batteries -worth buying?  (Read 17630 times)
odbob

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »

Tim,  This is an interesting thread, I have 25 (at least) years old cells forming a battery in the order of 25 KWhr, untill now, I hadn't even considered the possibility of cleaning them out, mine are clear perspex and I can see debris laying at the base of the cell, I have just one spare cell and may try this, if the plates are cleaned up does anyone know if this will virtually renew the cell, or is it more likely that the plates will be worn away anyway?

Can't upload my pics, my daughter tends to do this sort of thing for me and she's not here, can see them on my web though if anyone wants to look,  www.myhomeenergy.co.uk

Wish you luck with yours, there have been lots of useful comments

Smooth Hound

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 04:00:18 PM »

As far as i can understand so far, if the lead part isnt worn through or knackered then it will be able to be cleaned
camillitech

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 09:28:28 PM »

Firstly mate,

I've got a tea towel same as that Grin and secondly I wired some batteries up just like that a few years ago SH, stainless self tappers, copper wire, lead and battery acid  Shocked it was electrolasis paradise, lots of fur and corrosion very quickly so keep em tight and well vaselined.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Bob

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2008, 07:16:51 AM »

Smoothhound. 

Do replace those wires.  If I am doing something similar then I use old 3/4" copper pipe  and beat it flat, cut it into suitable lengths, drill holes in the ends and screw this to the top face of the lead with tech screws.  Works well as a high current conductor.

Timbo

There is a chemical that normally goes by the name of EDTA (something something tetra acetic acid) that has a fair reputation for being able to clean up tertiary sulfated plates.  I have used it on a couple of occasions with some beneficial effect.  It is a food additive and normally quite cheap.

I would echo Ivan's words on saftey.  A combination of weight, acid, lead and god-knows-what-else has the potential for being dangerous.

It's not what you make, it's what you use that counts!
camillitech

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2008, 07:39:27 AM »

Smoothhound. 

Do replace those wires.  If I am doing something similar then I use old 3/4" copper pipe  and beat it flat, cut it into suitable lengths, drill holes in the ends and screw this to the top face of the lead with tech screws.  Works well as a high current conductor.

I like that idea Bob  Cool

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Bob

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2008, 06:04:05 PM »

Odbob

if anyone wants to look,  www.myhomeenergy.co.uk

Nice Cells!  Do they need cleaning?  I have something similar with a 5cm debris drop zone in the bottom.  It would probably take about 100 years to fill this with muck.  If they are working reasonably I would be loath to risk damaging them by unnecessary cleaning. 

Do yours have gray strips on the bottom under the plates?  If they do that is lead sulphate and would suggest that some of the acid is no longer available. Check the SG and top up with acid if necessary.

It's not what you make, it's what you use that counts!
odbob

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2008, 01:19:45 PM »

Thanks for looking Bob, and the advice very much appreciated Smiley, yes there is a light grey coating right at the bottom of the debris drop zone as you call it, my drop zone is only 3.5 cm deep and there is general debris lying on the bottom, but there are just a few very large items of debris lodged in the upright touching what looks like a grey shield or separator of some sort, maybe to protect the lead plates? would these affect the performance?

Used to check the sg but tester eventually failed, must get a new one when I pass Halfords or somewhere

Thanks again

Smooth Hound

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2008, 04:47:32 PM »

Thanks folks, the only other thing is , is will my transit alternator cope with the 250 ah bank, thats once ive given it its initial charge?
frank2

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2008, 05:03:02 PM »

smoothhound

i think your alternator will be ok, but i have found with mine, that if you let the voltage drop too low, the alternator has to work like mad and the belt starts to squeal

frank
Smooth Hound

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2008, 06:07:29 PM »

great, so ill make sure they have a fair charge in yhem first, thanks for reply
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2008, 06:32:06 PM »

hi

i just bought a 24 volt 1540 Ah  used 4 year old fork lift battery 

as far as i understand charging  you should charge them  with 10-20 %    , does this mean 150 a to 300 a  at 24 volt

my charger is 140 A    using a ac diesel unit.......

if i do build my own dc charger    what is the max Ampere you would recomend to charge this battery

thanks   billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Shay

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2008, 07:02:05 PM »

Billi,

Out of curiosity, how much did the battery cost you? It must be some weight!
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2008, 07:44:38 PM »

shay  they where not cheap and do not know if they are 100% ok  weight is close to 1.5 ton 

i did try a few ebay auctions (too days ago a similar batterry went on ebay for 360 serling)  i was just 5 pounds short   ...

but the one i bought now  is double the size and half the price for what you get new in this range

but i am excited   to find out if its in good shape

as far as i know you are based in ireland as well ?  so i tried a few fork lift companies in cork and suppliers for new ones   but got quotes upto  twice .....for the same battery quoted from the manufacturar in germany

i would have liked to get so called OPzS  2 volt cells  but went for this option for now

iam desperate for a battery , because my existing is not holding more then a 1kwh

paid today  transport arranged have to wait and find out

cheers billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
frank2

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2008, 08:04:10 PM »

billi

some photo,s of your proposed genny setup would be usefull, for advice

frank
Shay

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2008, 08:15:29 PM »

Yes I'm in Westmeath Billi. Your shipping must cost he same as the battery?
I've been searching high and low for reasonably priced batteries. Have you or anyone else tried any of the battery recycling companies that have appeared. I wonder if they recieve any ups batteries from the likes of the financial services centre etc...just a thought...must call them to find out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: