navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: panel meters from china  (Read 7446 times)
camillitech

« on: November 21, 2007, 06:13:00 AM »

having 2 battery banks someway from the house and being a bit obsessed with them i got a couple of meters off eblag, having bought similar ones before from RS for 3 or 4 times the price i was well chuffed with the quality and speed  Wink

if i were to get more i'd go for the green as the blue is too  bright, though it's not as bright as it looks in the pic Cool

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-1-2-Green-LED-Digital-Volt-Panel-Meter-DC-200-V_W0QQitemZ270158841937QQihZ017QQcategoryZ73158QQcmdZViewItem

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
timbo

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 07:22:01 PM »

Excellent...I just ordered two.

I am starting to care a lot about my batteries now..the Fork-lift battery is installed and looking good.

Tim

4m^2 wet solar panel, wood stoves. 10kW roof mount P.V. grid connected.
6kW Kingspan turbine expected soon.
Bob

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 08:48:45 AM »

Hope you guys are right.  I just ordered a load of them, well 6, 4 shunts and a psu.  It is worth haggling a bit on the combined postage.  It started off as being more than the meters but came down very rapidly.

Regards

Bob

It's not what you make, it's what you use that counts!
camillitech

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 01:37:41 PM »

Hope you guys are right.  I just ordered a load of them, well 6, 4 shunts and a psu.  It is worth haggling a bit on the combined postage.  It started off as being more than the meters but came down very rapidly.

Regards

Bob

mine still going great bob and i actually prefer the blue now as it casts a nice light at night illuminating our hallway so strangers can find there way to the bathroom at night Cool

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Phil
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 03:41:47 PM »

Paul can you let me know the best way to wire one of these volt meters up please

Phil
Paulh_Boats

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 05:05:41 PM »

Paul can you let me know the best way to wire one of these volt meters up please

Phil

What me??

1) There is no indication the item is reverse power proof - so if you get +/- swapped you might blow it up!

2) If you have the 12 Volt version its easy... connect up the working power after checking +/- carefully.
    If you have a power supply check it carefully with a digital multimeter, verify correct voltage and +/-. Then connect working power.

It should light up blue/green reading 0.00

3) For the voltmeter version connect the "measure inputs" as close to the load as possible. That will be the battery or dump load etc.
    For the ammeter version the shunt goes in series with the positive lead to the battery. Then the "measure inputs" connect to the ends of
    the shunt.

NEVER connect the shunt across the battery. There will be a BIG flash, you might get burnt and you will jump a mile!

-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

LED lighting in every room
NO tumble dryer, +370 kWh per year
Phil
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 06:56:07 PM »

Thanks for that !

Paulh_Boats

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 05:42:08 PM »

Does anybody want to club together to order a load of these panel meters?

I emailed the supplier who offered a 50% shipping discount on additional items, but with a large order we could probably get a better deal. The LCD/LED meters are probably light and easy to post on in the UK or we could meet in a pub for a beer and chat!

Useful ranges to consider are:

Ammeters:
20A  For battery charging, PV currents

Voltmeters:
20V  For single batteries

200V  For multiple batteries and PV panels

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:
http://www.solarmanpv.com/portal/Terminal/TerminalMain.aspx?come=Public&pid=17067

Bob

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 06:57:51 AM »

I think clubbing together would be a great idea but as I live in Ireland it would be a bit far to your local, shame, I could do with a real pint!

I ordered mine from http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/giorgio11185.  He replies very quickly, does discounts, is very helpful but, and this is only a slight "but" after my meters arrived and I unpacked them the fitting instructions informed me that I would need a separate isolated power supply for each meter.  More expense, more waiting.

I would still recommend this man but be aware that you will need the power supplies as well.

Paulh_Boats

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 08:53:13 AM »

Bob,

Yes a bit too far to stagger home.  Wink

I followed the link and its the same vendor that camillitech used. "Asia Engineer" is the ebay shop name.

cheers
Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:

Phil
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »

Does that mean you cant just power ther meter from the battery bank you are monitoring, even if the power input is 9-12volt Huh?
RichardKB

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 09:45:55 AM »

Hi I have had this problem before in that the measuring pins are somehow related to its supply pins, they just do not read properly.

Rich
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 02:32:29 PM by RichardKB » Logged
Bob

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 02:01:33 PM »

I don't know what causes the problem but you do need to purchase an isolated power supply for each meter you intend using.  The supplies are about 5 each.  I asked if it was possible to use one supply for several meters to be told that it isn't.  Just remember when ordering so you don't have to pay more postage.

Paulh_Boats

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 03:13:42 PM »

I don't know what causes the problem but you do need to purchase an isolated power supply for each meter you intend using.  The supplies are about 5 each.  I asked if it was possible to use one supply for several meters to be told that it isn't.  Just remember when ordering so you don't have to pay more postage.

That probably means the inputs are not balanced or floating, like they would be on a multimeter. I expect that one input is connected to ground.

However it makes no sense why each meter needs its own supply unless the current from the supply is only just enough for one meter, in which case it would get overloaded and possibly cut-out if multiple meters were used.

Perhaps he is expecting you to read multiple and isolated voltages - with a common power ground some inputs may exceed the maximum voltage on one pin which could destroy the input stage. As I said before there are no specs on max/min values so its not possible to give a definative answer.

If your system has a common power ground and every meter negative input connected to it, it should be possible to use the same supply .

-Paul

30 tube thermal,
2.3kW PV see:

KenB

Energy Self Enlightenment

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 06:41:59 PM »

List,

I found some very cheap isolated dc/dc converters at Farnell yesterday. Ideal for powering these meters, when you need to keep them isolated from on another,and can't share a common ground on the power supply.

The ones I bought were from Traco Power for 4.90, you put 5V dc in and get 5V dc out - isolated (also available in 12V and 9V inputs and outputs).

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/Electrical/Power+Supplies+&+Converters/TRACOPOWER/TMA+0505S/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1007511

Ken

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: