navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hoppecke Aquagen recombiner caps  (Read 2561 times)
jules27

« on: May 04, 2014, 06:45:38 PM »

Hi All,
 I have come back for more help. I've got an off grid PV & battery setup .My issue is alot of gassing so I was considering getting recombiner caps. My batts are Hoppecke 200ah 2v .The set up is not ideal however I am not going to relocate the batts at the moment, neither are they in the best condition but again they are not going to be replaced any time soon .So my question is does anyone know where I can buy them at a reasonable price (best I've found is at 23) I need  12 of them !!!

ta

10 x 100w Canadian Solar Panels ,1 x C60 Xantrex controller & BTS, 1 x Studer C2600 24v , 4 x 6V Rolls 453ah batteries . 1 x Lorentz surface pump ps150 , 2 x 40w kyocera panels KC40 , cheap charge controller and 60ah battery .
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 09:04:34 PM »

23X 12 = 276  

Is it so much water  u need ? We use approx 50 l per year  but battery is 8 times bigger

how much water , do  u hope to replace ?

Top it up manually  ,  or and think of a  air bubbling  idea  instead , that reduces Gasing and shortens charging time

Billi
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 09:31:11 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
jules27

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:31:39 AM »

Hi there ,
Thanks for the reply. It's just poorly located and easier to get recombiner caps than move them .When you say bubbling idea do you mean like a a pump to bubble air through the batts ?

10 x 100w Canadian Solar Panels ,1 x C60 Xantrex controller & BTS, 1 x Studer C2600 24v , 4 x 6V Rolls 453ah batteries . 1 x Lorentz surface pump ps150 , 2 x 40w kyocera panels KC40 , cheap charge controller and 60ah battery .
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 10:11:38 AM »

Yes , a electrolyte circulation idea can be beneficial

http://www.froetek.de/index.php?id=101&L=1

Are u having OPzS  cells ? or  PzS

There are other caps as well , but not sure they fit your battery ....

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Billy
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »

Expensive they are.  I use the Rolls' Hydrocaps on my bank.  I have only once topped them up and that was more because I thought I should.  They didn't really need any water.  So that means I have saved all the money I would have spent on distilled water.  My other high charged set drinks more than I do and it's not cheap these days.  So that is ten years without water and they are still way above the separator.

Maybe it wouldn't be too long before they paid for themselves, is water about a /l these days?.  Safer too maybe, without all that hydrogen wafting about.  Less faffing about checking levels every week or whatever.  If I remember I do mine every three months when I change the compost loo bin over.
offthegridandy

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 02:18:49 PM »

I buy 20 litre of battery water (deionised for less than a tenner|) from local car parts dealer. So water is not that dear!

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
DaveSnafu

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 02:35:39 PM »

Yeah water is cheap.............regular top ups or regular inspection will mean that you keep on top of them.
Better to reaquaint yourself with your kit once a month than it is to forget about it until summat goes wrong.....mice nests disasters...lightning.....the list goes on.
Having said that.....if I could get a set of combiners cheap then I would go for it on my next set of batteries, not because it is essential...just because I like having nice things..........

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
jules27

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 03:48:46 PM »

Hi  thanks for the replies ,
My batteries are opzs Hoppekke 2v 200ah (seem quite robust after the abuse they've had!!! ). That link looks interesting thanks - any idea what the cost is for a 12 batt system, does appear to be too much info on their site without contacting the supplier?
I'm far away from the batts and can't always check the levels but they've only ever just dipped below the low level.
It seems unlikely that the manufacturers would have universal fittings for there caps ,   but it is poss Does anyone know ?

Perhaps I ll just bite the bullet and buy them - sort of fit and forget and plus I could replace the batteries with more hoppecke after these end their life(quite like the idea of getting rolls though).

Thanks everyone for your input .This is ,and has been, a really useful resource.

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »

I'm far away from the batts and can't always check the levels but they've only ever just dipped below the low level.
It seems unlikely that the manufacturers would have universal fittings for there caps ,   but it is poss Does anyone know ?

Its not my business ....,  but   OPZS  batteries are  usually  built big  with lots of electrolyte   around the lead  , so are pretty much  maintenance free ,    so how much water did you have to refill ??   

And when u are "far away from the batts"  do they need a gassing charge  ?  Or can u not just    keep them in float  charge mode , instead of too much gassing Absorption  and Equalizing charge ...?

They are one of the best batteries on the market  , as far as i know , but  me am surprised that your water consumption  bothers you 

Justme

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »

Our water consumption is running at about 1.5L per cell per year.

Navitron solar thermal system
30 x 58mm panel 259L TS
1200watts solar 120vdc
FX80 Solar controller
Victron 12v 3000w 120a
6kva genny
6 x 2v cells 1550amp/h 5C
24 x 2v cells 700amp/h 5C
Total bank 4350 amp/h 5C
jules27

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 08:30:50 PM »

Hi ,
You are right they are big built and the water loss isn't really the issue, it's not much.The issue is the actual 'gas' and this occurs during the absorbtion  charge , which is set at the manufacturers recommendation .When I say gassing ,I am referring to them fizzing and can see the bubbles. Could this be a sign of sulphated plates? The battery location is in the living space and and that is the issue I guess. I am away for months(live in UK but it's in Spain) at a time so it does not equalize unless it is done manually.

Thanks again .
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:59:07 PM by jules27 » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: