navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recommendations for 1200W-2000W off-grid inverter  (Read 4849 times)
stephendv

« on: May 06, 2014, 10:17:59 AM »

Designing a small off-grid system for a mate and have 3 inverter options to choose from.  They're don't want an inverter/charger, just inverter and must be Pure sine wave.  Loads are:
- 3 x 6W LEDS
- A+++ fridge freezer
- A++ washing machine
- 2 x laptops

Cheapest is 1200W Victron phoenix, IMO the 1200W is maybe a bit tight especially if both the fridge compressor and washing machine happen to come on at the same time.  Advantage is that in 3 years time, if they need more inverter they can get another Victron and have 2400W on tap.

Next up is a Xantrex prosine 1800W for just a bit more dosh than the Victron 1200W.  Don't really know much about these inverters, seem good according to the spec sheet.

Studer AJ1300 is the most pricey, at about 20% more expensive than the victron but it comes with a 5 year warranty.  No option to parallel to in the future, so they'd have to sell it and get something bigger.

Any strong opinions on the choices?

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
clockmanFR

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 10:25:16 AM »

Can you Hint at prices, about etc.?

Like the concept of "option to parallel to in the future".?

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
stephendv

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »

Can you Hint at prices, about etc.?

Like the concept of "option to parallel to in the future".?

Don't want to step on our host's toes, so the only price I can hit at is the Xantrex prosine 1800W which goes for about 550 Euros + VAT.  The Victron parallel operation comes with a caveat in that you can only connect absolutely identical models.  Have heard of problems where, for example, a 2001 model phoenix 2000W cannot be paralleled with a 2005 model phoenix 2000W.  And of course, the cost of 2 units is more than the cost of a single equivalently specced bigger unit.

Iain

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 10:39:56 AM »

Hi
Hasn't Biff got a Symmetra, or some similar spelling!!
I believe they are modular, might be worth a search.

http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13508.msg151416.html#msg151416
Iain
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:42:38 AM by Iain » Logged

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw - G200 Lithium-Ion (LiFePO4)
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
oliver90owner

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 11:59:08 AM »

Not looked up the specs for thoe inverters, but I will ask the obvious questions about power.

Are you sure the washing machine heater power is less than 2kW?

Is the fridge freezer soft start?

The former is the most important, but the total power at a stalled fridge start could be a problem.
stephendv

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 12:08:36 PM »

They've committed to only doing cold washes.  ever.  promise.   whistlie

Don't know how to tell whether the fridge freezer is soft start?  The specs list 160W power, but 10A required??  http://www.balay.es/catalogo-balay/frio/combinados/3KSL5655.html?source=browse

All of the listed inverters offer generous surging abilities.  The 1300W studer for example will surge to 2800VA for 5 seconds.

Iain, I'm very green when it comes to using UPS for off-grid.  Initial look around shows that they can't handle the high battery voltage during EQ and they have high standing losses and self-consumption.  Happy to be educated otherwise Smiley

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 01:09:56 PM »

Hiya

the Steca Solarix PI   1100 is as far as i know a nice little sine-wave inverter  , that could be paired as well   

on its own  perhaps too small but manages  3000 kva  for 5 sec .... should  cost less than  500 Euro ex Vat

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
stephendv

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 01:32:24 PM »

Thanks billi, it's an interesting idea but the size and price is a bit awkward.  A single 1000W solarix is well priced, but I'm worried about it not being able to handle fridge + washing machine.  And then 3 x 500W solarix is FAAAAR too expensive compared to Victron and xantrex.  Same with 2 x 1000W, which is well over 70% more expensive than a 2kW victron.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 01:47:19 PM »

Well the first thing about the Symmetra is that it,s voltage is 120 vdc,
                               That is not a problem but you need 10 x 12volt batteries to get it up and running.You also need good power coming in all the time.The Symmetra needs 200watt for itself,However if you have good power available like we have,3kw of PV and 1500watt of turbine,then the Symmetra is a brilliant buy.
   The only reason I bought the Symmetras was to actually use up surplus watts on the AC side of things in the old days when we had the big low wind speed blades on our wind turbine,Our wind turbine was at times,generating in excess of 3kws and the symmetra ticked all the boxs.
  Nowaday,everything is much more refined and genteel Roll Eyes,Our original Chinese Iron core 2kw inverter never stops,unless I have some little job that required in excess of 3kws of power on a sunny day. (Lecky Chain saw) then I switch to the Symmetra but our Chinese jobby drives the washing machine and everything else.We fill with hot water manually.We have a Vax soft start Vacuum cleaner which is 2kw.Our Chinese concrete 2kw inverter drives this without setting off all the fans,even running for 30mins non stop,Our old 600watt Dyson which seems to be falling apart,but even when it was new,it made heavy work on the Chinese inverter setting off all the fans like mad.That is a bit hard to understand.Obviously,it looks like the Dyson was a lot more than 600watt.
           Years ago I installed a 48volt x 1kw controller/inverter.It had a solar input of 300watt.It never got any care and has ran non stop for over 6 years doing all kinds of nasty tricky jobs from driving drills,mixers,grinders.pillar drills,etc.I have overloaded it more times than I can count but the little man on the screen always smiled again when I switched it off and on to restart it. I regards these as simply bullet proof.It was the only controller/inverter I had available,originally for a 1kw wind turbine with digital amp and volt meters on the front.It has been left on.year after years 24/7 and dumping hot air during the daylight hours even as I type. I have no idea where you could buy this controller new at the moment,I bought mine years ago and the supply has dried up. I still see the odd one for sale on fleabay and the money is not big.I have never blown one of these, I have never blown one of the larger stand alone 2kw x 120vdc controllers either,even though I have cooked them to the point where the digitals clocks all went 8888888888 however when I plugged in a household fan and directed it across the circuit and the dumploads,then loaded the ac in the house,everything returned to normal and the same controller is working perfect to this day. I wish I could say that the Xantrex was as forgiving.
                                                                                                   Biff
  NB,this particular controller/inverter comes in one unit,with an ordinary household plug on the front. It even has 2 big resistors as dump loads but you best bypass those and connect to an immersion or something to keep the heat away from the actual unit,even though I have been used my resistors to warm the shed. The great thing about this controller/inverter is that it takes 3 phase from the wind turbine and solar from the array and of course a battery connection,so it is very much plug and play and very user friendly. The big letters on the front say it all. "MADE IN CHINA". Grin
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 01:57:03 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Eccentric Anomaly

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 02:44:27 PM »

A single 1000W solarix is well priced, but I'm worried about it not being able to handle fridge + washing machine. 

Disconnect the fridge while the washing machine is running? It shouldn't warm that much in an hour or two.

He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense - John McCarthy.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 07:11:57 PM »

.... its a bit of a mystery  with start up  current ...  i probably  easy can sell  one of my 3000 kva  Victrons .... but my 1400 watt   waterpump seems  to like to run , while dishwasher or  washingmashine is on ....

I guess our whole house would   work on a single  3000 kva  Victron Multiplus  ( with a better  pump idea )

Not so sure why i would want to miss the internal charger , cause this is essential for AC coupling... so this could increase total AC     Cheesy

Cu

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:42:13 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
camillitech

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 07:36:15 PM »

Steer clear of Xantrex, their support is pants, the moment they stop making a product they stop supporting it or making spares. Studer are well made, perform better than they say and draw next to nothing at idle. Victron, well, there's enough members on here got them and I've never heard a bad word said. Funnily enough I've got all three makes and I'd be pushed to choose between the Studer and Victron but I wouldn't touch another Trace/Xantrex with a barge pole. I bought mine in 2006 and they stopped supporting it about six months later, it's never missed a beat in eight years of 24/7 operation right enough so it must be well made. However, once it breaks it'll be most likely fit for nothing more than the bin.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Eccentric Anomaly

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 08:12:58 PM »

Paul, didn't you mutter a bit about Victron support a while ago, or am I misremembering?

camillitech

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 08:45:10 PM »

Paul, didn't you mutter a bit about Victron support a while ago, or am I misremembering?

Not me EA, I've never had anything to do with them but Billi has and he says it's good. What I may have said is that SMA and Outback have good support forums whereas Victron don't. Trace themselves used to have a great open one too but Xantrex pulled the plug on it and now it's 'dealers only'. Studer are very helpful if you don't mind phoning Switzerland but as far as I know Outback are the only people that will supply individual components rather than complete boards.

My take on inverters is this, and it could be complete tosh.

If you want to AC couple then go SMA, they're the pioneers and it's what they do well.

If you have a boat then go Victron, supported in every port and designed for Dutch barges with the marine market in mind, Victron are very big in the marine sector and it's what they understand.

If you're 'off grid' and into DC then go Outback, they were designed by 'off grid' people for 'off grid' use. It was the brains behind the original Trace Engineering that sold the company and went on to 'build a better mousetrap'.

If you want Swiss engineering in a camper or house then go Studer, they really are like a Rolex.

If you're skint, don't mind the huge losses in efficiency and don't need a charger then go UPS.

Sure, they'll all do the job and probably do it well, you 'pays your money and takes your choice' I guess, me I'm going SMA because 'AC coupling' works for me.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Eccentric Anomaly

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 09:21:59 PM »

What I may have said is that SMA and Outback have good support forums whereas Victron don't.

Ah, that was probably it - must have misread. Thanks.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: