navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windoze - how do people put up with it?  (Read 62873 times)
Heinz

« Reply #90 on: April 20, 2014, 09:58:13 AM »

I've just been given a laptop, Dell d630 2gHz cpu and 2gb ram. It's running win7 which surprises me with just how fast it is compared to my other computers running XP and how well it copes with websites which cause all kinds of problems on XP. e.g. Facebook on XP is slow to load and often causes a freeze despite using the most up to date Javascript and Opera browser for XP, Win7 opens it damn near instantly every time!
I don't like win7 particularly, but it was on the Laptop and I've not got the time to mess around at the moment and it works. I was going to wipe it and XP it so I could run my accounts program on it but discovered that win7 will run XP as a virtual operating system. The accounts prog (QuickBooks simple start 2006) runs perfectly on the virtual XP and I can pretend I'm still in XP land. Wonder if it will run win 3:11 ??

H

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
Mostie

« Reply #91 on: April 20, 2014, 02:16:03 PM »

Billi, your hard disc might be failing

2x Solis PV = 1.875 kW, Mitsubishi inverter heat pump. Yorkshire Boiler Stove.
billt

« Reply #92 on: April 20, 2014, 06:35:39 PM »

Heinz, you might not need a virtual machine.

I use Quicken 6 (vintage about 1997) and used to run it in a virtual machine, as it wouldn't install under W7. If you copy the programme directory from a working installation to somewhere visible to W7/8 it will run without needing a VM.
Heinz

« Reply #93 on: April 20, 2014, 09:27:48 PM »

Good idea ! Tried dumping the whole folder into Win7 and after adding InetClnt.dll to the system32 folder, it seems to be working fine. Found a problem with the VM version, can't email invoices from it. Starts to email, then thinks it's printing and tells me the paper size is wrong.....
Just need to pick a simple email program for Win7 now, Thunderbird perhaps? or I wonder if Opera does one? Off to google...
Thanks,

H

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: