navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pros & cons of using GAHP including install costs ?  (Read 1580 times)
efficiencyman

« on: June 16, 2014, 08:52:55 PM »

Several companies are now producing a better combination of Gas burning / absorption with heat pump tech, ( I think ) will this be the way forward for many or not ?
 These GAHP units can be 150% more efficient in Gas consumption, that`s about a 50% improvement on the best condensing HE boilers, but (as yet ) they are not supported with RHI incentives.
 Is this another abnomally when the government have recognised that GAHP`s have an important role to play in decarbonising heating boilers.
Apparently the units use Gas for the heat transfer process providing a higher grade heat for Hot water and space heating, is that right ?   how ?
I am not sure of the full process, or why "heat pump" does anyone on here know how or why it`s more efficient ? 
Is this hybrid use a good way forward for domestic use or only commercial use ? Anyone know costs ?
I have a website link but not sure if I am allowed to mention it, please let me know.

Wet underfloor & multi zone Hybrid heating. Gas & 15Kw Heat Pump, Heat Stores 20 Evac Tube Solar Thermal. LED Lighting throughout.  Nissan Leaf Tecna Zero Emision Car.
nickhlx

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 09:24:01 PM »

With gas at around 4p/kWh and electricity at around 14p/kWh, surely the average CoP figure has to be better than about 3:1 to make it viable, assuming you are paying for grid electricity ?

Nick

System:   7.5 kWp, 2 SamilPower 4500 Inverters, array bearing 145 / 43 deg slope.
               Two 200L DHW cylinders fed via Intelligent Immersion I3, using
               Willis (external) heaters, 2nd I3 diverter for space heating.
                Now looking to add wind turbines
Eccentric Anomaly

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:49:21 PM »

I'm imagining something like a gas fridge but for heating a house. Is this something like that?

He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense - John McCarthy.
Ivan

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »

Gas Absorption Heat Pumps - use gas rather than electricity as the prime mover. It's certainly a promising technology, but a long way to go. The principles have been around for years, but like Stirling engines, they have never been mass-produced on a reliable and affordable, practical scale, though hopefully it will improve with time. The COP would be around 1.5 - so nothing like the efficiency of electric heatpumps, but of course, the prime mover (gas) is a fair bit cheaper.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: