navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Advice needed over going full solar Electric  (Read 2955 times)
stephendv

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 09:44:07 PM »

Quote from: peterfc on Today at 08:47:50 PM
It say i used from the 13th Dec to 17th March 1378 KWH. Would i be better counting each electrical item and there usage?

So about 39kWh per day.  In off-grid standards that's HUGE.

Probably i am wrong , Stephan , but i only see  about 15 kwh a day in winter !

cause  .... 3 month    @ 30 days @  15 kWh  make 30 x3 (month) x15 = about 1350 kWh

Doh!  yes, you're entirely right.  I mistook March for January  facepalm  15kwh/day is not that bad especially if it's mostly heating which will be replaced by the wood stove.  A 2-4kW array could do nicely.

http://www.casanogaldelasbrujas.com
2.8kW PV, SMA Sunny Island 5048, 5 PzS 700 battery bank, stinky diesel.
oliver90owner

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 10:12:26 PM »

Dunno about Portugal, but here in the UK, the best and worst months are likely a factor of four or five different.  And the lowest generation is likely when it is most needed.

Sure, PV can be easily be switched off if not needed, but it must rankle just a bit!

Some considerable thought needs to go into sizing the array.  Fuel for a stand-by generator keeps adding up if used on a regular basis!  But waste veggie oil can be virtually free, so not able to quantify.

I would love to put two fingers up to the grid, but economics are not nearly good enough in the UK yet.  The 'middle men' will make sure it just stays that way.  But grid security of supply might be a factor in the future.  That may be an issue in Portugal.  Completely off-grid would mean they have no hold on you, presumably, and would not know how much power you might have generated.  Roll on that day in the UK, even if it means the power companies will be over-charging.  They are already!  Huge profits paid to the shareholders.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 11:18:17 PM »

I would love to put two fingers up to the grid, but economics are not nearly good enough in the UK yet.

soft eg

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 11:20:34 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
brackwell

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 07:10:24 AM »

Billi, You have not suggested this yet? 
http://www.studer-inno.com/upload/folders/2502.pdf
Eccentric Anomaly

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 08:11:13 AM »

Dunno about Portugal, but here in the UK, the best and worst months are likely a factor of four or five different.  And the lowest generation is likely when it is most needed.

Much smaller difference. Picking a point on the headland south of Lisbon (to avoid horizon issues - should have looked at the horizon for the “arbitrary point” in my earlier post but didn't think of it) with panels at 70° the lowest month is December with 3.26 kWh/day whereas the highest is September with 4.26 kWh/day.

He who refuses to do arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense - John McCarthy.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2014, 08:58:40 AM »

There is a lot to be said for staying totally off grid,
                                        The summers are twice as enjoyable Grin and you get a nice warm glow when you hear folks complain about the price of electricity. As has been often been discussed here on Navitron, The storage is a problem.We hear about the breakthroughs in different types of batteries. We have yet to see anything that we lay persons can lay our hands on but they will come. In a few years time the competition will hot up and like the solar panels the prices will drop (hopefully).
          At the moment our 2ton+ bank never drops below 126Vs and we have decent reserve for an easy 48 hours. Our turbine will not go back up until September. There is no point,it just spends the day stopping and starting with every sunburst,so it will last a lot longer lowered and waiting for the long winter months when the sun don,t shine.
  Our Generator is again all overgrown  reindeer from lack of use. I am seriously thinking of relocating it but it is always there if needed.
  Some years ago we invested in a 600watt Dyson vacuum cleaner. It worked fine for a few years but now it seems to leak air from every angle and has lost its "suck" errrrrr ( I know,,no such thing as "Suck") ,so we sent to to the casulty corner until I can figure out some way to fix the thing. Meanwhile my son let me have a £64.99 Vax from BnQ and it is a brilliant article with loads of power. It is also soft start so it don,t knock our inverter out (2kw). So if anyone is interested in a soft start vacuum cleaner, I can provide the details. I know that it is soft start because it starts up softly genuflect.It is not advertised as such but it has an excellent soft start.
    Yes Off-grid is good. You become very aware of what power you use and that must be a good thing.
  There is only one way that you will know if Off-grid suits your lifestyle and that is to do it. Just get off grid.
                                                                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2014, 09:20:35 AM »

Billi, You have not suggested this yet? 
http://www.studer-inno.com/upload/folders/2502.pdf

I know !

But everything has its drawback  , and i will not suggest THAT Studer idea too often , cause  in my opinion   its better to leave the Grid out and only utilise it if needed (or kick it out entirely  hysteria )

The Studer are great inverters and  like explained in the PDF link  very flexible to  use ( they surely work  without the grid as well )

so one can undersize an off grid inverter  and keep the loads stable
and showed SMA  and Victron , that they have to go to school again  genuflect

But , My believe is , that a 3-5 kw Inverter can drive a complete household close to 100%

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: