navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: type of wind turbine required  (Read 2109 times)
scart

« on: July 28, 2006, 04:12:25 PM »

I currently live off mains, and the electricity is supplied via a diesel generator/Trace inverter/and battery pack. I'm now hoping to add a wind turbine to the system, but I'm not sure whether I need a 220v version or a 48v one.

I currently have two generators wired into the inverter, (1 as a spare/back-up) To use a 220v wind turbine I imagine I need to disconnect one and add the turbine.  Alternatively, if I use a 48v one, it'll connect to the batteries, but I'm worried about over-charging.

Also the wind-turbine kits advertised on your site come with an inverter, which I don't think I need, but I imagine I need some form of charge controller to prevent over-charging.

I have a quote form a company to install a turbine (Proven 2.5KW) but even with the available grants taken into consideration, its hugely more expensive than yours.

What would you suggest as the best option?

many thanks

Stephen
Ian
installers

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 04:47:16 PM »

Really to answer your question we would need a bit more information. But, making a few assumptions, there is a recommendation at the end...

The assumptions are :
1). Your system is currently working fine and you have no immediate plans to replace any of it.
2). Your battery set is 48v
3). Your generators are 48 - 50v; or they are transformed down and rectified to around 50 volts; or they are DC generators of around 50v.
4). You think it would be a good idea to add a wind generator and you will not rely totally on this wind capacity but it may reduce your reliance on the generators a little.
5). Your battery bank is large so you do not run your generators all the time.
6). You live in a windy area where the average wind speed is at least 5 m/s at 10m above ground level.
7). You do not currently have any separate diversion load controllers or charge controllers as the generators have these built in.

My recommendation is that you go for a 48 v wind generator and diversion load controller. You will need some kind of dump load too.

As power from wind generation varies so much you cannot rely upon it. The diversion load controller will make sure your batteries are not overcharged. Most people try to harness the power under dump load conditions and mostly, they use it to pre-heat water in some way.

Regarding the inverter that comes with the kit - I would always want a spare as this is the bottle neck in your current system. Whilst they are generlly reliable, a spare is always useful.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Ian
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: