navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonderful close-ups of Rosetta's comet  (Read 29429 times)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 09:27:43 PM »

ESA are saying it might have buonced as it landed, also comms are a bit intermittant and now it has lost comms as it is below the horizon in relation to Rosetta, hopefully to be re-established soon.
Hope it ain't fallen down a hole fingers crossed!

Desp

buonced??
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 07:45:33 AM by desperate » Logged

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Ivan

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 11:07:43 PM »

Watched the ESA live transmission as it happened. Shame they did not have more coverage of stats and photos - which I'm sure they had access to.

Very pleased to know it landed safely. Sadly they did not release the panorama image that they had promised. Hoping that will come out tomorrow morning, after they have finished 'processing' the image (=photoshopping out the aliens?).

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 07:52:56 AM »

Oh dear, it seems it did bounce twice the first lasting a couple of hours and the second seven minutes, the latest I have heard is that ESA are waiting to re-establish comms when Pilae can see Rosetta above the horizon again. Idon't know why that would take so long though, surely the orbital period of Rosetta around a comet of such low mass would be pretty short. I hope it hasn't fallen over so that the antenna cant "see" Rosetta. Or maybe those aliens are pikeys who have already weighed it in the scrappy ralph

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Bodidly

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 08:06:41 AM »

Amazing achievement but ahh erm why?

OK we learn more about our universe but to what end? From the the perspective of a non scientist this sort of space exploration is as batty as it gets. I can't say I don't marvel at the ingenuity to achieve landing a probe on a comet stupidly far away but would it not be better to put these great minds and money to work on problems closer to home?

Sorry about the grizzle as I have mixed feeling over this  Smiley

desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 08:24:21 AM »

Human nature  Bo, it's in our nature to be inquisitive that's just the way genes work I guess.

Some of the tech probably filters down to the everyday world, how good a value that represents is always open to arguement.
I'm not sure how many scientists we need to work on our earth bound problems, most of them seem political "arrangements" rather than lack of knowledge to me.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

martin

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 10:34:11 AM »

I see where Bo is coming from - we have food banks, people dying of the cold, or just committing suicide from utter despair (and that's in this "developed" country), so to see such projects as this leaves one torn as to the proper use of resources - the cerne abbas haddocks thing is another - gazillions spent on finding yet another brick wall in the loopy laws of physics (according to Stephen Hawking, God may be pis*ed off at being prodded and may explode). There's a whole raft of similar lunacies (often involving "flight" in some way or another) - more runways when we clearly need less (and less flights), and probably one of the sickest - the odious Branson's "nip into space" trips for the ego-trippers with more money than sense...... fume

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 10:53:44 AM »

It looks a bit rough, out there.....
http://www.theguardian.com/science/across-the-universe/live/2014/nov/13/rosetta-mission-philae-lander-live-coverage-comet-esa
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 10:59:56 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
dhaslam

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 11:42:21 AM »

It doesn't do much harm to push the limits of  human achievement.    The  camera  used was four megapixel which was a good standard ten years ago.  Now  similar sized   cameras are common place. Part of the development is in coping with large amounts of data and a similar  machine now could  probably recognize  a good landing spot itself and could be much more energy efficient.     One of the biggest changes in  modern  industry is  robotic production of parts and  3D  printing of small components.   Space exploration has always had to use reliable robots, other developments that have partly come from space exploration  are PV and lightweight batteries.       

DHW 250 litre cylinder  60 X 47mm tubes
Heating  180,000 litre straw insulated seasonal store, 90X58mm tubes + 7 sqm flat collectors, 1 kW VAWT, 3 kW heatpump plus Walltherm gasifying stove
nowty

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 09:33:12 PM »

From the Guardian article,
“In the shadow of a rocky outcropping, Esa will attempt to adjust Philae’s solar panels to get as much sunlight as possible, having so far generated just 90 minutes of power out of a hoped for 6-7 hours. Philae’s battery is predicted to run out some time on Saturday.”

And even though this is not an astrophysics forum, there probably is no other forum where some of us can truly understand the issue and sympathise about the reduced solar power, shading issues and reduced battery life. I’ve even had to manually switch my own off grid inverter to standby this evening to conserve my battery SOC during the current poor weather.  help

I only got 1kWh today and I'm 200 million miles closer to the sun !  wackoold
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 09:36:01 PM by nowty » Logged

11kW+ of PV installed and 56+ MWh generated.
Lithium battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Hot water storage of 15+ kWh.
Heat storage of 15+ kWh.
6kW Ground source heatpump.
EV BMW i3 (another 30+ kWh's of storage).
260,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
Home grown Fruit and Veg.
clockmanFR

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 08:58:11 AM »

Gosh!

I am with 'Bodidly' on this one.    

My Boys and I have discussed this on the way back and forwards to respective schools/buses.

We came to the conclusion that there are an awful lot of folk making a ruddy good living on the back of this project.

And all those paid scientists a whole career in administration.  fume

A decade or two ago, as a Micro Engineer, http://www.bryanhorology.com , I was asked by a good friend who happened to be as mad as a hatter but was head of Marconi electronics R&D, "CM if I pay you for your time will you come and sit in on a few of our Blue sky meetings as we need some serious re-ality."

All highly intellectual so beyond me,  and some folk from NASA were there, in the end I was scribbling designs on the back of envelopes and explaining that "yes a die can be made for Alli bar extraction for mini radar systems with out to much costs, and yes those micro complicated transducers at 1mm dia, can be mechanical made by the watch industry by a particular auto machine but tooling up could be expensive, etc etc.

After 5 or 6 years all the wise mad hatters slowly retired and the Mediocrity Administrators took over. Things went down hill and I just stepped away from the new incompetents that were supposed to know so much.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 09:02:37 AM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2014, 05:53:59 PM »

Gosh!

I am with 'Bodidly' on this one.    

My Boys and I have discussed this on the way back and forwards to respective schools/buses.

We came to the conclusion that there are an awful lot of folk making a ruddy good living on the back of this project.

And all those paid scientists a whole career in administration.  fume

A decade or two ago, as a Micro Engineer, http://www.bryanhorology.com , I was asked by a good friend who happened to be as mad as a hatter but was head of Marconi electronics R&D, "CM if I pay you for your time will you come and sit in on a few of our Blue sky meetings as we need some serious re-ality."

All highly intellectual so beyond me,  and some folk from NASA were there, in the end I was scribbling designs on the back of envelopes and explaining that "yes a die can be made for Alli bar extraction for mini radar systems with out to much costs, and yes those micro complicated transducers at 1mm dia, can be mechanical made by the watch industry by a particular auto machine but tooling up could be expensive, etc etc.

After 5 or 6 years all the wise mad hatters slowly retired and the Mediocrity Administrators took over. Things went down hill and I just stepped away from the new incompetents that were supposed to know so much.

Well here's your chance to make a difference Mr Clockman, that poor little Philea is stuck between a rock and a dark place, it is only getting a measly one and a half hours of sun a day(67P day) because the panels are facing the wrong way......................they need a TRACKER. You should stop moaning about everyone else and give them a quote for one of your custom installations, I'll do the labouring for you if you want.  ralph

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

clockmanFR

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2014, 06:11:46 PM »

Roger Desp.

You will of course need transport.

May I suggest 'Biff' Enterprises Transportations,   Grin along with cooperation from 'Clivejo' electronics  Grin.

You will also need 'Greenbeast' for welding up a reasonable vacuum vessel for the ride  angel.

As regards command and control, I would on this occasion suggest 'Martin' as he can bark orders at a million miles away.  hysteria

So that should do it 'Desp', don't forget Mr Lumpy.

Suggestions for Launch site Please.  help

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
M

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 06:12:06 PM »

that poor little Philea is stuck between a rock and a dark place,

Desp

Very nice. Very nice.  genuflect

Mart.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Bodidly

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 06:14:25 PM »

Roger Desp.

May I suggest 'Biff' Enterprises Transportations,   Grin along with cooperation from 'Clivejo' electronics  Grin.

You will also need 'Greenbeast' for welding up a reasonable vacuum vessel for the ride  angel.

As regards command and control, I would on this occasion suggest 'Martin' as he can bark orders at a million miles away.  hysteria

You can launch from our field. We are up at 700' so saves a bit of fuel  Grin
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 06:53:14 PM »

Roger Desp.

You can launch from our field. We are up at 700' so saves a bit of fuel  Grin

Looks like we have ourselves a work team Mr CM, isn't the vacuum vessel full of soup for the dragon Though? Might need a radio too, I'm told the local music is a bit tedious, come on then we'd better hop to it, It wont hang around for long. Sorry for the skidmarks in your field Beau whistlie

Mart   Wink Wink

Desp

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: