navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pluto  (Read 17924 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 04:24:52 PM »

Minor or not what amazing pictures.
Makes my mind boggle.
The sheer vastness just of our little corner.
Makes you appreciate the beauty and wonder of our tiny planet and the effort we should make to try and preserve it for future generations.
gravyminer

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 04:26:59 PM »

its why I hate travelling east on the M4.

All that fuel Im burning is being put into spinning the planet and Im still going backwards  surrender

Travelling west on the other hand is awesome as I get a lift from the planet and add a further 90mph to the total.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 04:29:41 PM by gravyminer » Logged

gravyminer
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 07:17:43 PM »

I love this stuff!

We only live for less than the blink of an eye, so miss most of it.
( Makes me take a second think at 'AGW' and see if any of it fits the model)

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 09:30:43 PM »

I like the idea of Nitrogen snow Grin you'd need a good pair of gloves to throw snowballs freeze

I see the probe has reported back that the flypast was according to plan and that the data is on its way to earth as we type.
Brilliant.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »

I listened to a scientist on Radio 4 saying that New Horizons was already 2 million miles beyond Pluto. It has a little fuel remaining, enough to alter its trajectory by 2 degrees. They have another target in mind for flypast!
Stan
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:15:55 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 11:07:39 PM »

2 degrees at umpteen million miles is quite a variation. what did they have in mind?

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Ivan

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 01:11:59 AM »

I've been impatiently waiting for the Pluto images for the last few years, so very happy that we can fill a huge gap in our knowledge base about our solar system. Very little has been said about future targets, but they mention  Kuiper Belt objects:Quoar, Eris, Makemake, Haumea or Sedna. It's hard to imagine that all of these are within the potential trajectory of New Horizons, which makes me think that the press release that mentions these hasn't given serious consideration to this comment. I think New Horizons is continuing to study Pluto and take more photos as it recedes into the distance. Once they've completed this, they will need to alter their course pretty quickly if they are going to reach a new target, so it's hard to imagine that this hasn't already been discussed and concluded.

www.epogee.co.uk - Solar PV & Solar Thermal Training / MCS
Bodidly

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 10:40:06 AM »

I find the latest picture very disturbing

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 11:03:28 AM »

I feel a disturbance in the force.
 facepalm extrahappy extrahappy extrahappy extrahappy extrahappy extrahappy hysteria hysteria hysteria hysteria hysteria
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »

Do You mean to say Beau,
                      That the citizens on Pluto already have Sky tv.?
                                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 09:01:56 PM »

Apparently there are very few craters on Pluto which implies that the surface is young which in turn implies that Pluto is geologically active which is a big surprise to the astronomers. A body as small as Pluto should have lost most of its internal heat from its formation and radioactivity, it's too far away from Neptune to experience tidal heating similar to some of the Jovian moons, so what is driving the activity?? Also it is quite mountainous which again implies recent geological activity, all very mysterious.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2015, 09:17:09 PM »

I would have thought the fact that Pluto is covered in ice would be enough to explain the lack of craters.

Volunteer moderator
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2015, 10:35:47 PM »

It could I suppose, but there does seem to be a variety of surface types around the imaged areas, the mountainous areas are particularly interesting.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/frozen-plains-in-the-heart-of-pluto-s-heart

https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/the-icy-mountains-of-pluto

in any case even if it was completely covered in ice of some kind, without an energy source to renew the surface relatively quickly craters would survive for quite a long time (or at least that's how our best theory goes at the moment) Nasa are estimating that the surfaces they have imaged are less than a hundred million years old, which in astronomical terms is almost brand spanking new.

Desp
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:52:28 PM by desperate » Logged

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

Philip R

« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2015, 11:38:55 PM »

I heard it on the TV yesterday, that the satellite will pass Pluto 1 minute and 20 seconds earlier than planned, when it was launched 10 years ago.
Looks like someone will be for the high Jump fight. I was pretty impressed the arrival time was pretty well spot on, it is better than my arrival time to jobs !! whistlea

Philip R
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2015, 08:24:19 AM »

It has a lot of potential,
                          We could issue fracking licences on condition that they don,t export to earth. We could allow the GM guys to move there immediately, as long as they don,t carry any seeds and liquids with them. Then we could round it off with a dose of top bankers and politicians..errrr  wait.. That could come back to bite us. There is the making of a right monster there, facepalm
                                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: