navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: APC 1.6kw inverter/ups deep cycle battery help needed  (Read 2260 times)
reeeow

« on: October 11, 2014, 02:02:17 PM »

Hi
I have purchased a APC SU2200INET from ebay earlier this year, and also some marathon m12 deepcycle battery's the ups doesnt seem to charge the battery's and I am looking at a very cheap way to do this (it's a 48v system) but cannot find a decent charger at a cheap price anyone can help me with this?
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 06:09:32 PM »

Hi
I have purchased a APC SU2200INET from ebay earlier this year, and also some marathon m12 deepcycle battery's the ups doesnt seem to charge the battery's and I am looking at a very cheap way to do this (it's a 48v system) but cannot find a decent charger at a cheap price anyone can help me with this?

Hi Reeeeow and welcome,

decent chargers and cheap price generally don't go together but keep and eye on eBay for the chargers mentioned in this thread http://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,23485.0.html

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 06:19:12 PM »

Hello Reeeow and welcome to the forum,
                           I am not too clued up on chargers,I do know that UPSs never charge external Battery banks properly,In fact you would be lucky to find any UPS that could charge up an external bank.
  It might be a good idea for you to invest in a couple of solar panels that will keep your bank filled and leave very little work for your charger.
  The price of PV has dropped dramatically and there are s/h panels available on Fleabay, They may not be as expensive as you think,+ they charge for free.
                                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
reeeow

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 06:58:32 PM »

Is it possible to use the charge controller to charge from uk mains? i have solar pv already on roof 3kw, i want to charge the battery's with this system however i own a enphase microinverters system so its coming down from the roof as AC, if i could put mains 240v or even 12v from a psu into the charge controller and that filter it so my battery's don't get wrecked it would be a great idea. my battery bank is 48v as well so how would i go about this..
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 07:25:30 PM »

I will have to think about that one Reeeow,
                                         Paul is pretty clued up on charging and maybe he would be able to suggest some type of immersun type charger which only works when the full load is being more than supplied to the grid, I don,t know how you would go about this but the immersun which takes the excess grid power and heats the domestic hot water tanks is a big success.
  Done this way,the charging would be free.
                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
reeeow

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 08:10:27 PM »

I do actually have an immersun mk2 fitted. just need the charger i can easily wire into one of them inputs currently using it to supply 3 electric radiators. Combi boiler is hardly getting used nowdays
Tiff

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:58:38 PM »

I dont think a charger will like being connected to the ouput from an immersun. Certainly not a switch mode type, might get away with it on a transformer type - I came close to trying it once but decided it was not worth the risk.
baker

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 10:08:51 PM »

I tried the same to run my external  garden lights charging the bank from the grid when sunny
and found the ups useless unable to charge the bank, waste of time and money
 bells/ fans running/  alarms/ pulling  200 watts on standby,
. inverter chargers  combined , with 20amp charge , worked for me and I changed the bank to 12 volt
 and happy so far
baker     
clockmanFR

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 09:35:26 AM »

reeeow, welcome to this strange, but very informative Forum.

I have wondered for some time about Grid tied PV installation then also charging batteries.

I am at the present taking a 2.5kW static PV array that charges a separate, (separate system to my 48v 1300ah), 24v 400ah batteries, see pic.

And changing it over to a Grid tied system with a Sunny Boy, however the Grid will be my own grid being created by a Sunny Island that allows AC coupling of separate entities/installations into this new Mini Grid.

Now, what I have been thinking is that at present 120vdc arrives at the MPPT controller and converts it to 24vdc to charge my batteries correctly.

1..... At Present, the PV is arranged with just 9 panels working and divided into 3 strings so I am getting 114vdc into my Tristar MPPT battery charger controller set at charging rate of 24vdc.
2..... The grid tie will be all panels connected in series ie, one string, giving with all ten panels 380vdc into the Sunny Boy grid tied inverter, (my New Mini Grid) and will output, in its special re-settings, 220vac -240vac.
3.....  I will keep the present PV Panel output cables and fit a changeover switch that I can manually switch over to battery charger when required, at present manual but could be automated.

Note, I have not done this arrangement yet and I might have to think about it a bit more.

But personally reeeow, keep an eye out for a ELTEK 48v battery charger around the 45amp range on output.

PS ,don't forget now, the higher the voltage the less you loose in cable losses and you can use thinner cables. I am told.        

* PA250430a.jpg (103.48 KB, 507x676 - viewed 367 times.)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 10:07:40 AM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
Tinbum

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »

I charge a 48v battery bank using chargers and a home made Arduino diverter system that is very successful.

I doubt very much you will find a charger that will work off your Immerson. Some of the Eltek chargers I use do have a voltage range of about 110v to 240v but I doubt they would like the waveform coming from the Immerson and the Immerson probably wouldn't be happy and I'm sure you'd void any warranty.

Transformer chargers would be a big no because of the inductance. It may be possible to switch the dc from those but I've not tried it.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: