navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victron Multiplus, SMA PV, Honda EU20i generator + On grid. What Batteries?  (Read 15369 times)
camillitech

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2014, 12:02:07 PM »

There are cheaper alternatives available, I have found a company based in britain that assembles components from greece and offers a five year warranty, the prices are very reasonable.
Being off grid and having broken versions of all the top brands, outback, victron and mastervolt, all beyond "economic" repair, I have decided that the only thing that makes any sense is to have a spare for everything, obviously this is very expensive to do. especially using the big brands, the big brand warranties are pretty much useless for off grid folks as by the time the replacement is here the freezer has defrosted.
So, I am going to flog my two big victrons,(one running, one as a spare), and with the dosh I am going to invest in a load of "british built" inverter chargers.
IF it is ok with the management,(navitron) then I will divulge the name of company, if not then PM me for details.

What are you doing to them Dave?? I've been 'off grid' 29 years, had one of the very first inverters ever made (a mechanical one crica WW2) and a solid state one dating back to the early eighties. That was the size of a microwave oven, hummed like a beehive and surged to an incredible 1kW  Shocked The only ones I've ever fecked was a Studer I fried when connecting up the wrong way round and the one off the Lancaster bomber that I cremated on a bonfire. Never had a power outage for more than a few minutes since 1985 and never carried a spare.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:03:44 PM by camillitech » Logged

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
DaveSnafu

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2014, 01:52:22 PM »

We have been hit by lightning twice this year, once here in wales, (january) and in portugal, (july), other than that I just use this stuff till it fails and then get another, same as everyone else.
I would say that you have been very lucky to not need spares.
Back on topic................the price of some of the gear needed for a successfull long term back up to the grid (that may never be needed) is off putting, especially if you go with the big names.
There are far eastern and european assembled units with all the bells and whistles available at hobby or project prices, for instance a clone sunny island can be had for under a grand, a 5kva inverter charger for half that.
At prices like that more folk would be willing to take a punt at renewables.

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
Billy
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2014, 01:55:08 PM »

Paul et al,

I have now topped up the Hydro Capped Rolls.  I found some data that told me how much the wet stuff should be above the perforated blue separator.  It was down a bit, maybe 20 - 25mm.  Took a few litres but considering the years they have been left.  Checked they were but not often, once they'd proved themselves not to drink.  Grin
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2014, 02:04:33 PM »

If you carry spares,
                   The chances are you will never need them. If you don,t carry spares,that,s the time you will get caught out. (Murphy,s law)The jam butty will always end up stuck to the floor.
         No disrespect aimed at the owners of these valuable boxs of kit but I find them way over the top money wise.
      My multiple Chinese controllers do the same job and if  had the most expensive box of tricks on the market,My short tail would still have scuppered our nice new wind turbine Cry.
                                                                                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
DaveSnafu

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2014, 03:02:27 PM »

Apparently the cure to lightning strikes is to get insured, once insured you'll never be hit again, (except by the insurance company once a year).

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
camillitech

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 05:17:17 PM »

Apparently the cure to lightning strikes is to get insured, once insured you'll never be hit again, (except by the insurance company once a year).

The cure for lightning strikes is 'Lucky Underpants'

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
al_uk

« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2014, 11:15:26 PM »

Right. I'm back.

From the discussion in this thread I've given up on the battery and Multiplus/Sunny Island idea, until battery cost per kWH improves.

However I am now looking at adding more PV. I can use almost all of it on site through Immersun etc. I also have water pumps and heat pumps to run for a small pool.

Back in October I asked SSE how much extra PV I could add. I've now had the reply back as follows.

Option 1

The existing LV network will permit a maximum of 3kw plus existing 3.68kw = 6.68kw of generation connected into the existing single phase supply. - At a cost of 250.00 + VAT

Option 2

If you reduce the generation to 4kW on the existing single phase supply, as we do not currently charge for this size system you can connect without any charges. - However please me know if you wish to take this option up, as you will still require a connection offer issued for this - At a cost of 0.00

Option 3

To allow 6kw plus existing 3.68kw to be connected on a single phase supply, we would need to upgrade the overhead network. The cost to provide this option will not be less than 4000.0 + VAT 

I won't be doing option 3.

If I follow the full MCS route for option 1, what is the definition of the "3kW" these days. Is it panel rating, or Inverter rating - ie. if the Inverter was a 3kW but I had 4kW panel capacity, would that be acceptable?

Do I have a sensible DIY option? ie. buying 2nd hand panels and inverter and connecting via option 1? I know I won't get FITS. Or getting an Inverter that will prevent export, so I can ignore the DNO?

10kW PV. Rainwater collection-14 IBCs. Custom Arduino based Immersun type PV diversion. HomeSeer home automation, Househeat/Conrad TRV radiator actuators + FHEM. SageTV
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: