navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 199663 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« on: October 20, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »

Hello good folks,
               We have a bit of a blow starting up within the next few hours,
                                               It looks like it is just getting going about now, Members living on Sky,Raasay and in that general area need to keep a close eye in this one and take all the necessary precautions possible. The west coast of Ireland here is also coming in for a fair bit of the stick. Baker,s area will get a fair shot  and Billi will get it as well,
     The forecast says that we will not get it too bad but the wind is pushing down from the north west spread over a wide area from Cork to Malin and things can change for the worst very quickly.
       So everyone needs to keep an eye on this one.
                                    Good luck
                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 01:51:31 AM »

It is pretty bad out there at the moment,
                             Our number 2 controller in the house is registering 1.5amps now and then. This means,I think that the turbine is clocking over 2kw on the number 1 controller outside so the surplus is being diverted to the controller in the house to power the hall immersion.There is no way that I am going outside to peep at the number 1.The tv pic shudders in a force 8 but this time the pic is blurring quite a bit. We can hear the roar from outside. It would be much more noisy if the leaves were still on the trees but thankfully that is not the case. Early on, I went and weighed everything down but I can still hear things hitting of our north gable. The storm is just barrelling straight in across the bog,from the Atlantic and I have no doubt that there will be damage tonight and certainly outage.
            The Turbine seems comfortable,but it is depending on the dump loads to keep it under control,It is at times like this that the folly of the small tail becomes evident. However we have come through force 8s with the big blades and I assumed that the small blades would not be too stressed but tonight they are being tested to the limit.
   The forecast says that this should run steady for another 4 hours,till 6am and then it is supposed to ease of a bit and continue round to Scotland. It is pretty bad when the air pressure in the room changes. The dogs are asleep or pretending to be. They were last outside around 8pm and they won,t have a problem holding out to 6am.
                          Cheers folks,
                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 01:24:36 PM »

Nigel's had another bad night.......seems like every 5 minutes bonehead calls him up on his new iphone 6 to tell him that UK wind has broken some new record or other. "Dammit man, can't you privatise the people who feed these lies to the press or stop the wind blowing or something?" says Nige. "I'll ask Dave, says bonehead, but in the meantime have you looked at Gridwatch Templar today?" fume

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:29:17 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 05:40:12 PM »

This week must be one of the most productive weeks for wind power,  Apart from old Nige,s record breaking wind breaking.
                                 There is still a good blow out there,a nice steady force 6to7 with gusts still reaching force 8. Paul must be feeling the brunt of it at the moment and there is even isolated storms heading towards AG. There is quite a bad patch over the Isle O Man with another about 50miles south heading into Wales.
      This recent forecast has been accurate to the hour and the charts are quite something but only showing the positions every 6 hours.
    Our turbine did well,Steady and untroubled throughout the worst parts.I never saw it furl once,It was depending 100% on the dump loads but thankfully the fact that the second immersion kicked in that bit later,meant that the braking was smooth and gentle. I never got out to watch controller number 1 during the height of the storm. I used to do that some years ago,however knowing that controller number 2 was registering 1.5amps in the house, meant that the first 2kw dump load was being over run and that would have taken at least 14+amps@140vdc. I have witnessed 20amps+ on the same controller flying the big blades and that was kind of scary. I was expecting some respite from the wind this evening,where I could lower the turbine and carry out my first checks but it is just too rough out there and it looks like I will have to wait another 24 hours to do that. All is good.
                                                                         Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:31:44 AM »

We are supposed to have a bit of a lull on Fridaym
                                              But Saturday and Sunday get a bit exciting once again.
             Meanwhile the wind spins the blades,The tanks stay warm and the house cosy. Its a pity I could not adjust the setting slightly and get rid of that peasoup sky and horrible rain.
                                                                  Biff

heatherhopper

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »

Sorry Biff - I'm looking for something a bit different from the weather at the moment as we still have what passes for a drought in this temperate land!
I watched Gonzalo's progress across the Atlantic with great expectations and was thoroughly let down - 2.8mm of rain and winds barely getting up to 60mph. Turbine had a minor workout but water is still in short supply.
Probably all on my own wishing this but nice though summer was I want autumn to be - er - well typically British so that "the old cow may drink again" (acknowlegements to some 1950s western I think).
I know - my tune may be different come March but eastern reservoirs are still relatively low, SE providers are already applying for drought extraction licences (just precautionary I'm sure) and the fells are still behaving like massive sponges so there may be a few more rain dancing by then.

Off grid 6kW Proven 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 03:04:50 PM »

Most humble apploggs Heatherhopper,
                                My wishes were granted and the rain is now winging its way toward you, The wind stepped up its good work and a few moments ago I took a pic of controller number 2 which is quite a long way from the turbine.

This one directs the power into a dc immersion in our hall water storage/heater. One of my better moves.
                                                    Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 08:18:47 PM »

Big blow,
       Pushing in to the west of Ireland on Tuesday evening and  pushing up the coast across the North and straight into the western Isles.
          This looks to be a pretty rough one.Force 9+. I will be lowering our baby and tying everything down for this one.
            So anyone in the path of this blow should be well prepared for at least 36 hours of strong stormy weather during which the wind is set to reach speeds of 80mph+
                                                                         Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 12:30:36 PM »

And there was me,
                Telling everyone to get ready for the big blow and I am sure you all did just that but somehow or other my labour of love took a disasterous turn for the worst, I was waiting patiently for a letter from Scoraig, It would Hugh himself asking me over to solve a few problems. Well why not,??  We turbaneers stick together and learn of each other. So Here I was this morning in Castlebiff,I had planned to lower our exceedingly fine turbine just before 11am today,because yesterday ,while studying the weather maps,I noted a window where the wind would ease and then start up again. Now Don,t mention Mice and Gangways but anyhow,I spent the morning trotting around checking on this and that till finally I could wait no longer and decided to lower the baby.
So before I continue,just let me say that my visit to Scoraig was not impossible before this disaster struck. Accepting my invite from Hugh, I could have landed in Scoraig and immediately boarded the Biffmobile, The band would strike up and play "Men of the West" and I would continue travelling around the island and solving all the wind turbine problems ,one after the other.It would probably make the "News Of the World" if the anti-wind lobby crowd did not block it.
  Anyhow,,There I was at the bottom of the winching tree waiting for the perfect moment to begin lowering. I remember looking up through the blinding rain and thinking,"Jeeeze This one could be tricky". There were other ones that were tricky too but i got away with it,apart from a change of trousers.,So alang,,(As Hugh would say) came a lull,,a calm and I hit the button,all went well and I am 20 ft at least off the top,then a long gust or heave came directly out of the North west and the turbine began to climb straight back upright,It did and it hit the top with a bang,Now I am not so slow. I have been here before,so I am reeling in as much of the cable as I could before the turbine began to fall again and when it did,I hit the release button at the same time as it slammed down at the end of a 10ft drop..I held the button down and watched the turbine decend back down to almost a 50% angle where I thought we would be safe. But by now the wind was roaring and the turbine has started to climb back up again,,I could almost describe it motion as something akin to an evil elegance, So here I am reeling in the cable again but the turbine is already slamming off the top, The 50 kgs weights on the safety rope are usless,absolutely usless, Then down it comes again,fast this time,,so by now I have no idea how much cable has been fed out,so all I can do is just hold the button on and hope for the best. I almost made it,The clutch screamed before but this time it just made a horrible ripping noise and the turbine dropped on to the tresle from about40%, It demolished the tresle ,bouncing up and down and finally the turbine hit the ground with a very quiet thump,breaking 2 blades.

So Scoraig is out of the question now, She and I will still go there but in disguise. As for my turbineering efforts..Well the weather will mend. the sun will come out again. the grass will dry long enough for me to whip the damaged prop off,fit the new one which is sitting ready in the loft and install a new winch with a secondary breaking system. No I am not giving up,, no way.
   Still, I could have done without making a total hames of it.
                                                                             Biff

camillitech

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 12:39:51 PM »

The 'Big blow' arrived early here Biff, ferry off, power cuts in the village but all fine here so far. Hope YZ is OK, sure she will be, just a PITA balancing the blades.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
clockmanFR

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »

Flippin eck Biff.  Cry

I will scrag my kitty.

So sorry.

No wind here, but the sun is out.... extrahappy

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 01:58:09 PM »

I have managed to source a replacement winch,
                                            It should be here sometime tomorrow bit somehow the couriers will not be travelling these roads tomorrow..I will have to devise some method of taking the slack out of the cable between the tree and the top of the tower,so that when such a wind blows the tower back upright in future,It will be held steady and only allowed to descend gently. Incredibly,,the weight on the safety rope did more harm than good because it only speeded up the destruction. So the weight needs to be a good 4 times more. So now I an thinking in terms of just adding the weights before the lowering process begins.
                     One other thing that beat me was the fact that the turbine was braking as it was being lowered. Previous times I have asked herself to turn on the Microwave oven inside the house to keep the blades biting into the wind on the overrun. This time She was not at home and I decided to chance it. So when the Turbine braked at the wrong moment,The wind was able to use the blades to blow the thing back upright. Learning curve,? norfolk
                                                            Biff

DaveSnafu

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »

That is a damn shame biff, good job you have a set of spare blades, it is just getting up here, southerly, but cold.
Your story reminds me of the time a few years ago when I decided to service the proven.........but not using tirfor winch and all it entails, instead I decided to build my new scaffold tower around the mast and service it in situ........
Once built I climbed to the top..........and crouched quivering in fright, no chance of standing up and taking cowl off turbine, the whole thing was shaking about and when I grabbed the mast in fright, that started shaking as well.......THEN a huge gust came out of nowhere and the turbine started up with the brake on, squealing like a banshee, the rotor just a few inches from disaster, I scampered down the tower and heaved on brake rope, just then a mate turned up and helped me get it stopped, it was the most frightened I have been for a while.
Since then I use a tirfor and lower it once a year.

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
boltonboy

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 05:20:27 PM »

OOOO just read that sat on the edge of my seat!

Just glad your all ok and no injuries that's the main thing.

Repair will be nothing for a man of your talents.

Stay safe folks
rogeriko

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 10:55:25 PM »

Biff you need 2 winches 1 to lower it and 1 to pull it down so it cant go back up again. The second one that pulls it down can be connected to its own pulling wire not the main guy wire so it would be really easy to install. Connect the 2 motors together so they work at the same time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: