navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half built Hugh Piggot turbine.  (Read 58493 times)
offthegridandy

« Reply #375 on: November 26, 2018, 08:45:42 PM »

Paul, the parcel arrived today with the interface and cables, thanks very much. I expect I'll be a couple of weeks before I'm needing them and I'll let you know how I get on.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
camillitech

« Reply #376 on: November 27, 2018, 05:29:53 AM »

Paul, the parcel arrived today with the interface and cables, thanks very much. I expect I'll be a couple of weeks before I'm needing them and I'll let you know how I get on.

Andy

No rush at all Andy,

the cables are, red, black, green left to right on the last four terminals with no cable on the fourth if that makes sense.

Cheers, Paul, and good luck

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #377 on: December 02, 2018, 06:04:54 PM »

Cable pulling that's today's job. All done.

On Friday I got the alternator disassembled and got the alternator frame of the tower top section where it was temporarily stood in the shed.  Then got outside and fixed the tower top section onto the 12 mtr mast.  All the (10) 12mm holes lined up easily with the studs so nuts + washers on and torqued down plus lock nuts plus threadlock.

Today I've been cable pulling. First of the 3 Nos 6mm Trirated cables down the tower leaving ample spare cable at top and bottom of tower for terminating. As the turbine has no slip rings, the slack inside the tower allows for the cables to twist as the turbine rotates at the tower top.  To allow for unwinding the twists in the future the cables finish on a plug and socket at the base to allow for easy unwinding in the future.  The existing turbine gets maybe 6 twists in the cables in a year so the WT sits steadily in the prevailing wind and rarely turns through 360'.

I next pulled the armoured cable round to the base point and pulled it through the ducting which went in before the concrete and was left with a cord in for cabling.  As I pulled the cable through I attached some more cord so should I need to pull more cables through there is a line in place ready.

At the tower base I used a spare switch box that I found in my "box of bits" and used that as a junction between the Trirated cable and the armoured cable.  The armoured cable is 10mm copper and a bit of a fight to fit neatly inside the box. But all done in the end; and then the rain came back.

Last job was to cut the cable a bit over length and then feed through a hole in the garage wall and get the cable through ready for installing the Inverter etc.  I'll have to have a search for some suitable clips to keep the armoured cable tidy and out of the way.

Most of the coming week is already spoken for but I may get a chance to work in the dry fixing the GTI etc in place.

I picked up a snatch block whilst out and about last week so I think I've got all I need now for getting the rigging done ready for the 1st tower lift, probably next week end.

Only boring piccies of cables today chaps.

Tower top fitted with cable

Switch box at tower base

Plug to release cable twists

I'll be putting isolater switches and also the brake switch in the garage with the GTI for easier access (should it be needed), rather than the tower base in the dark and rain.

I'll need to put an earth strap on the tower as well before I get too  much older.

So faint stirrings of excitement as the big day is deffinatley visible on the horizon now.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #378 on: December 02, 2018, 11:42:42 PM »

Exciting it certainly is Andy.
             When I put up my turbine. I worried a bit about the weight of the cable pulling on the wires that exited the turbine. So I clamped a flat plastic  band to the cable just below the yaw and made sure that it took the full weight  of the 10mtrs of cable by trapping the end between the flanges below the  yaw. I used that flat plastic  for strapping  rounds of blocks and bales of timber.
  Just  an idea Andy.
             Cheers. Biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #379 on: December 03, 2018, 06:07:15 PM »

Thanks for the info Biff, I'll make sure all is tied down, no sheets of tin lying about loose etc.

Got the afternoon in the shed, with a heater on for company.

I started by getting all of the separate electrical components out and having checked for sufficient clearances around the invertor marked all the box positions on the wall.  Then got the incoming AC junction box positioned and tidied up and terminated the armoured cable.  Even found some nice clips to persuade the cable to go where I want it.

I got all the boxes on the wall ready for cabling up.  I seem to have found an error in the install manual for the Aurora Invertor. The text on page 26 says.

Connect the three wires as follows: 
-
terminal 2 to Line
-
terminal 3 to Neutral
-
Terminal 4 no connection
-
Screw terminal        Protection earth 

The illustration shows 1 = earth, 2 = Neutral and 3 = Live. Curious and confusing. Can't copy the pic cos it's embedded in a PDF doc.

The wiring sequence is, Wild AC in from WT, Brake switch, Isolator switch, AC in to Wind save box. DC out to GT Invertor, Ac grid voltage out to meter then AC isolator then connect into home mini grid.  I'll put some trunking in and run single cables through that to connect the boxes.

I've 3 X 1kw heater elements for  fit in yet.  They connect to the Wind save and if the DCV out exceeds 530V the Windsave dumps power to the heaters.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
camillitech

« Reply #380 on: December 03, 2018, 06:29:27 PM »

Great stuff Andy,

were those 1kW elements supplied with the inverter and wind interface? cos you have to be a little careful when matching the impedance of the elements to the output of the turbine. I seem to remember the interface manual being a little vague on the subject. I guess what I'm saying is, if they were supplied with the unit they're probably OK, if they are out of your electric fire then perhaps not  Wink

Good luck, Paul

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #381 on: December 03, 2018, 07:52:02 PM »

Cheers Paul,  I've been in touch with Hugh along the way; and after discussion on predicted or best guess on ultimate turbine output, I got what he suggested from an online store. I say best guess output because I don't know the TRS for the blades I'm using. I have purchased a weather station which I'll put the anemometer up on the tower so I'll have a better idea of actual wind speed.

Paul do you have any passwords for the Aurora. I think I'll need something to access the wind speed curve table.  The GTI had a curve for the Sirocco 6Kw jobby that had died when I got the kit. So I assume that will still be in place when I power up.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
camillitech

« Reply #382 on: December 03, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »

Hi Andy, 05591 is the 'Installer' password.

Cheers, Paul

offthegridandy

« Reply #383 on: December 04, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »

Hi, anybody able to help me with this?  As posted above I seem to have an error in the Aurora Ver2 manual I'm using.

https://voltsys.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Aurora-3.6-manual.pdf

See link to manual, find page 26 and see illustration.  Text appears to contradict piccy with regards AC out connections.  Any ides anyone.  I'm inclined to use illustration.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
Tinbum

« Reply #384 on: December 04, 2018, 09:56:31 AM »

What does it show on the actual inverter?

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
camillitech

« Reply #385 on: December 04, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »

Hi, anybody able to help me with this?  As posted above I seem to have an error in the Aurora Ver2 manual I'm using.

https://voltsys.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Aurora-3.6-manual.pdf

See link to manual, find page 26 and see illustration.  Text appears to contradict piccy with regards AC out connections.  Any ides anyone.  I'm inclined to use illustration.

Cheers.

Andy

Hi Andy, I'd go with the picture, mine is actually different with 1 to neutral and 2 to live but it's only got three connections and they are all clearly labelled on the PCB.

offthegridandy

« Reply #386 on: December 04, 2018, 03:20:03 PM »

Thank you all,  I've just had an email from Voltsys in Ireland, who reassure me that A the literature is wrong in text so go by the picture of the PCB, plus B in my installation it makes no difference, which I kind of thought but wanted reassurance.

Cheers.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
offthegridandy

« Reply #387 on: December 07, 2018, 08:45:02 PM »

A few hours in the shed this PM with the wind starting to get up outside.  I got the trunking and all the cabling up  done except for the diversion load and the final "grid" connection to be made. Whilst inside the invertor I thought I'd check the battery.  It's a Lithium iron 3.6v and on inspection it's dated 2007; offload it's showing 3.61v.  I think I'll replace it just to be sure.  Not worried if I loose any data as it's not mine or from this site.

When I got this gear a couple of years ago I got a generation meter so I've put it in the cicuit.  I'll finally have access to continous accurate readings of wind generation.

Andy

Outback VFX3024
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #388 on: December 08, 2018, 06:37:16 AM »

I'm started to get excited for you Andy! Looking good.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 [26]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: