navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hutchinson tower convert to hydraulic  (Read 2796 times)
offthegridandy

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2020, 05:10:08 PM »

PDF file sent

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
https://www.redwoodretreat.uk/
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood sto
jhinshel

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 07:47:16 PM »

Thanks for all your posts, questions and responses.
The current system (2.5kw proven on the 18m tower) relies on two 3.2 tonne turfors which are operated from adjacent anchor points. It takes 4 people to operate the turfors - one pushing and one pulling on each winch. the operation is fine aslong as there are 5 or 6 people available

I am upgrading to a 6kw proven on a 17m tower. the two turfors will struggle with this heavier turbine and heavier tower. I could use different winches but I am at a loss to identify a cost effective way to do this with a hydraulic winch. I could use pulleys with existing winches but this would be even more hazardous in my opinion. i have to make an adapter for the new tower and I am planning on making this a hinge pedestal. it is not much more engineering to incorporate the hydraulic mounting and strengthening on the pedestal. I have identifed a hydraulic ram from a telehandler which is more than capable of the 22ton force required for the lift. I am still to work out how to power the ram. I am modelling the whole system in CAD and running FEA analysis to check for the structural integrity of the design. I'm hoping that I can service the machine on my own and can continue to do so for the next couple of decades.

Regards,
Justin

off grid 4 years: 2.5kw pv,sunny island 5048, 2 mx 60s, proven 2.5 48v, home made charge controller, 1500Ah fork lift batteries, 60 evacuated tube solar heating, vigas 40 kw biomas boiler, 3000l thermal store
Gareth J

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2020, 08:04:21 PM »

For anyone curios, Interfluid will supply the required rams and associated check valves for a mere 475 + VAT ea. (2required)
GilleRuadh

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2021, 07:46:39 PM »

Hi Gareth, I spoke to Interfluid today, for the Evance 5kW R9000 they quoted:
cylinders inc safety valves, quick release. power pack trolly (petrol) harness, hose fitting and throttle kit stops 2995 plus VAT. This excludes the brackets. Leadtime 6 weeks. They require an engineering drawing of the tower and bracket arrangements before accepting an order (apparently confusion on the part of clients has led to the wrong rams being supplied in the past)
So that means a drawing for my 18m tower would need to be obtained from Hutchinsons unless anyone else has one?
Cheers
Gareth J

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2021, 01:55:38 PM »

A lot of outlay for just your own maintenance!

Unless you need a powerpack elsewhere, you could consider hiring one or bribing a neighbor with a tractor. They're also an expensive thing to have sat around doing nothing most of the time.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: