navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 ... 107   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 216784 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1020 on: May 13, 2017, 12:26:52 PM »

Dry here, leaves nearly all out the pale green beech woods are delightful.
Do you think friend Putin is behind these attacks? stir
eabadger

« Reply #1021 on: May 13, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »

bad storm here yesterday, biblical rain fall, sun out today and windy.
trees that bright not dark green, forest back to life.

russia was one of the worst hit, so maybe not putin.
from what i here it is old xp and 2003 servers that have been hit, went end of life so no patches, so who is to blame? i say microsoft, how can you sell something and not support critical patches?

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
eabadger

« Reply #1022 on: May 13, 2017, 01:43:39 PM »

microsoft have now said they will release patch for xp and the ilk,

horse bolt door?

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
Sean

« Reply #1023 on: May 13, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »

so who is to blame? i say microsoft, how can you sell something and not support critical patches?

steve

They gave plenty of notice that support and patch release was stopping - would you expect them to be still keeping Windows for Workgroups secure ?

eabadger

« Reply #1024 on: May 13, 2017, 03:10:20 PM »

not on same scale as xp.
and they know many are out there working away, to keep critical updates going seems like good customer service to me.
lots of these are used on legacy stuff which wont migrate.

renew repair, dont bin!

1kw wind turbine.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1025 on: May 13, 2017, 08:40:40 PM »

A wonderful result from a few shovelfuls of potash ( the ashes from ash logs that were burned in the stove over winter)..

Silver looks better. I am almost there. I have to seal all the rivet holes and fit the new cable and plug.

She looks a bit fed up and he looks happy enough but a few moments before this pic was taken,  the two of them were haring around the lawn like pups. He came in for a rest. She tires him out but at the same time is very respectful towards him, like old Nat was. She is also quietly and discreetly, creeping into the driving seat which we do not mind in the least because she is so biddable and honest. She is quite a character. She is a sniffer and a pointer and the whole shebang rolled into one. She tells us a lot and finds things in the yard like bottle tops and special bits of wood, She sniffs out bees and frogs and points to things that she never saw before. She is used to the cats now and they are no longer worth chasing or getting worked up about. The all night feline street raves outside our front door would have cured any dog with an aversion to cats. She is no longer interested, she has had enough of cats to do her several lifetimes. About a months ago, i was working in the shed,,screwing at something or other, sitting on my chair at my portable bench not far from the roller door. It did not take her long to learn that I am deaf, so her body language is a little exaggerated. She is all tensed up and staring down into the right hand corner next to the roller door, in behind the planks stacked up on their ends,, Her left paw is lifted high and she is pointing down at an exact spot where the sun,s rays strike the floor between the upright planks. I cannot ignore her, so i go and have a look, She gets excited and dives into the corner as to drive out or frighten out whatever is in there,,so straight away i thought it was Mr Rat but no,,back she came to the same spot and I am kneeling on the ground staring at the exact spot that she is looking at..I was beat, i knew that she was watching something intently and was bursting for me to see it. So i slowed down and stared at the bright sun rays hitting the spot and there almost impossible to see was this newt about 4" long,, Inside my shed the same color as the planks. It was looking straight up at the two of us from a distance of 18", so I guessed that there was a family in there or others in behind the stacked wood. I thanked her and patted her and hauled her away a few feet. These little newts are quite rare and I never knew that they would actually come inside my shed,,but the wind from the west drives the rain down that side of the door and perhaps the mix of cold damp floor and the suns rays striking the spot in that area attracted them, So I am very careful now when I move stuff in that area. We feel so sorry for her at the moment but another couple of weeks it will all be past her. Dogs,,,,,,ahhhhhh
                                                                     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1026 on: May 14, 2017, 07:03:11 AM »

Nice work with the trailer Biff,

we have a family of newts nearby too, lovely creatures living in our neighbours well but not in ours. I was told they only live in the cleanest of water but find that hard to believe, not that I've ever had our water tested, other than by the generations before me who drunk it all their lives and lived to a ripe old age.

Rum do about the ransomware, probably some spotty yoof in Rickmansworth rather than a global conspiracy by the New World Order though.

I just don't get this total obsession with IT and the Internet, my employer has spent 23,000,000 on trying to get full connectivity throughout it's vessels and harbours and has 34 people in the IT department. Though for some reason they now call it the IS department  whistlie I still find my 10 a month 3G dongle far superior to their gazillion dollar system  Roll Eyes Thing is we are a ferry company with a virtual monopoly, it's not like the customers can use another ferry company cos they cannot access the Internet for 15 minutes  banghead

Well, I managed to get almost 4 tons of concrete mixed and poured yesterday with the trusty electric Belle and the genny never fired up. Much to my surprise the SOC never went below 90% all day. Either the mixer uses less power than I thought or the cloud was thinner than it looked.

You can see when the wife arrives home and switches both the immersion and washing machine on (German logic shows charging as a negative value) Roll Eyes I manually fired up the Lister for an hour then but it wasn't really required, batteries are still of 90% this morning.

And me concrete has no deer or cat prints in it  extrahappy
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:07:25 AM by camillitech » Logged

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1027 on: May 14, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »

tumble  Electric mixer is a brilliant idea, Paul, You will have to try the EBike, Grin
                                    Like you say,,no noise, nor no fuel either, no lube oil just a cable that you have to keep an eye on. I bought one of the very first petrol Belle mixers that was ever delivered from Buxton down to Birkenhead in 1974. I paid 74.00 for it and mounted it on the rear of my 10 x 5 trailer. The last mixer I bought was another electric one,,bought locally for 240,00euros. The little motor is 400watt and I did reams of work with it, Built the shed,etc, It,s motor is east european, a bit like the B,n,Q electric mixers that came in a cardboard box. You can push the wheel barrow in under neath it.
        The newts are strange little fellows. We don,t use any weedkiller and leave clumps of rushes here and there. There was one year we had the perfect lawn.  Dead level and no cover. The feral cats were catching them out in the open and eating their tails. Then letting them escape. So we were finding these ones with the missing tails, still alive. I have no idea as to how they got on. Maybe they grow their tails again. There is excellent cover now and they can live in the stonework that borders the apple trees. It would be virtually impossible to catch them in there. We have bats here that fly round my head. If i use the lamp, it attracts the moths and midges and then the bats swoop. Years ago, I was given this clicker that was able to tell me if the bats were nearby but i never needed it. Old Nat could track them and point  them out till she got dizzy. Back then there was only one or two. now there are at least 2 different types and at least 8 in number. It is hard to tell. They do a circuit through the trees and then zig zag up the driveway. The hounds and I attract the midge and then they home in on us. They do make mistakes and unless i am very much mistaken,they have a degree of intelligence that recognises the hounds and me and are unafraid of us. My grandsons were very impressed that Granddad had his own pet bats.
                                                                         Biff
  NB  You will have to damp down your concrete today or else it will shrink and crack, freeze

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1028 on: May 14, 2017, 10:20:22 AM »

NB  You will have to damp down your concrete today or else it will shrink and crack, freeze

Cheers Biff, off outside now with a hose pipe, tis damp just now but 'wall to wall' sunshine on the way apparantly.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
eabadger

« Reply #1029 on: May 14, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »

Morning, i rate electric mixers and have a belle, but find the putting on the stand a pain, literally, took end of my finger off few years back.
also it may just be me, but i find i "miss" with the belle, i had a great ELKO with like a ships wheel on side, much more accurate, but center bearing died and i could not get it out without killing it.
am going to buy another of that ilk soon locally bricodepot do some nice looking ones.

re IT/IS i work in that sort of now, every one wants to be connected, ferrys i use are 90mins so being on wifi takes away time but so does a book, DFDS system failed the other month, i turned up at calais and they said all system down, i thought what a pain, they said have you booked? yes i replied, they said get on the boat then, very quick that day, normally with my season ticket they search and stare at screen for ages, PO now as DFDS decided my season ticket only lasted until December 31st instead of 12 months, which if i had booked on dfds.co.uk instead of .fr it would have?!?!!?

anyway off to work now.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
Westie

« Reply #1030 on: May 14, 2017, 10:32:21 AM »

We have a long dry stone wall down one side of the house which used to be home to many lizards and shrews, then we had two cats and haven't seen any wall based wildlife since  Sad

Cracking trailer Biff.  Fancy doing one myself.  Are there any 'legal' hoops to jump through to use it on the road?  What do you reckon the max weight is it loaded and unloaded.  I guess you could increase
the loaded weight by fitting a brake override coupling?

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1031 on: May 14, 2017, 01:41:46 PM »

Hi Westie,
         I think the weight will be around 350kgs, Maybe less but I am guessing.  I will be getting it weighed when I install the plug and cable for the lights.
You can make these trailers and keep them for your own use. It is only when you start making them to sell that you have to jump through the hoops
There are a few for sale on our Done Deal but they are Partner and Caddy conversions with much heavier bodies and a lot less room internally. This one is 6ft long x 5ft wide.(4ft between the arches) and over 4ft high. Of course if you are traveling along the road and the bill stops and examines your vehicle and finds fault, then you get done like anyone else. As long as it is respectable and fit for purpose and within the weight limit,then there should be no cause for worry. It did bother me at the start and then I did a little research.
When I get it finished and weighed, I will make inquiries about getting it registered even if it is well below the 750kg mark.
                                                            Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1032 on: May 14, 2017, 04:14:54 PM »

Paul and Biff what can I say?  genuflect genuflect genuflect Cracking trailer and mighty impressed with the pad. Do you two stop and sniff the flowers. I have not seen a newt but slow worms a plenty.
fourfootfarm

« Reply #1033 on: May 14, 2017, 05:38:52 PM »

XP went off general sale in 2008 and is not really compatible which the architecture of modern computers. Supporting it for another 6 years should have been plenty. It limped on for much longer than it should have anyway. When XP first came out I was using a 28k modem, still limping along with a 350mhz pentium 2 and desperately saving up my pocket money for an athlon 1500 with a mighty 256mb of RAM. Now my phone is significantly more powerful.

Make do and mend has its place but in tech obsolescence is inevitable.

That said at work we're still using machines which accept paper tape programming...

Trailer looks great, I'm trying to think of an economical way to make a new bale trailer. Preferably twin axle to take at least 12 round bales. Didn't think about van axles as a possibility.

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1034 on: May 14, 2017, 10:58:10 PM »

Yo Tod,
       I may have sniffed a flower or two but I hugged a load of trees in my time, Especially ,just before I  started the saw. Grin
 The thing about newts is that they stay absolutely still and blend into the background, making it almost to see them. Angel has acute eyesight and hearing, so She probably saw the newt blinking or moving and because she never saw one before ,she got worried, I get the feeling that if she saw one of those golden slow worms she would get very agitated indeed.

Biff

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 ... 107   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: