navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 126   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 345965 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2015, 02:11:12 PM »

You chaps have had it far worse than us. It was a pretty nasty night hurling it down with some wicked gusts but we have had much worse last year.  Fully expected to be taking my morning coffee chez CM but everything including me remained in place.
Bit of a change of undies moment when I saw the weather warning last night, my early morning email had just said Max 50kmh, and even the lovely Carole whilst threatening damnation for Paul and Biff didn't indicate much amiss in Finisterre. wackoold
Glad everyone came through OK.

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2015, 05:15:56 PM »

There were a few buildings blown over Tod,
                                         And a few small trees but apart from the guy on Antrim, getting killed when a tree fell on his car,we seemed to have got away light this time. A lot of folks are reporting small trees falling,like the type that were blown over on Raasay near Paul but the big uns seemed to stay up. There is a big 80ft pine not too far away and it is leaning over quite badly but the bally thing refused to  to fall,You would think that the big uns would keel over first but it is the 10yr old ,x 25 footers that were coming down. We had very heavy rain for days before the big blow,so that probably loosened the ground up.
  Our older refurbished turbine was relaunched this morning and it is a pleasure to be back in business properly.
                                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Billy
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2015, 06:17:49 PM »

Peace at last, I can now hear m'self think, actually that's not that goodly.  For once in the last week we have settled down level instead of a 5 deg bend to the left.  It's a right bu$$er coming home from the pub.   help
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2015, 09:00:33 PM »

We are having some really rough weather here at the moment,
                                                The charts did not forecasts anything as strong as this.We have thunder and our turbine has been heating the water since before 6pm.
                                                                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2015, 12:25:09 PM »

More strong winds coming down from the north,
                                       Our immersions are busy heating the water and the circulation pump in the DHWT has been busy all morning. We had heavy hail showers for a while and snow but thankfully it is not lying.Somehow, I think this one os just getting started. snow freeze
                                                                    Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2015, 01:12:02 PM »

You know I'm a bit fed up with this winter!

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2015, 07:25:16 PM »

I don,t know what it is like over your way Tod,
                         But ,one moment we are having a blizzard and the next we have a golden glow of sunshine. I was visiting a neighbour who was reinforcing his barn. He turned around to me and said that it was a nasty treacherous old wind that was blowing.
  About an hour ago,I went to open our front door and snow and hail and all sorts blew in on top of me. I had a horrible time trying to get the door shut,Yet a few minutes later the place was back to normal and a nice force 6/7. My neighbour was not kidding.
                                                     Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #112 on: January 29, 2015, 05:31:15 PM »

I think hibernation has a lot going for it.

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2015, 05:45:17 PM »

Ahhh Tod,
           You would not be able to watch the amps and volts, Shocked Shocked. We have just has one of the worst storms for a long time and it is still rough.
  I got that today.Still rootling for the farm building in Fermanagh. Been hauling out old self build mags from under the eves.
           Our washing machine has been on the go all day,so the storms do bring a little silver lining. Grin
                                                                     Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2015, 06:14:16 PM »

True enough Biff but we have had it nowhere near as bad as you. Been repairing the aerator pump on the fosse. Putting it all back together in the pouring rain and gale. Not as bad as it sounds most could be done in the garage just the final bits outside.

On the good news front it works.

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2015, 06:00:59 PM »

Another little bit of wind on the way folks,
                                      It gets going on Sunday at noon and blows until Tuesday at noon. So enjoy Grin.
  Rasaay gets to be in the red once again Paul.
                                              Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2015, 06:31:05 PM »

Walked up the garden and sank!
Cold and windy and that's just Mrs T whistlie

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2015, 09:12:35 PM »

I am digging and transplanting our blackcurrant bushes  Tod,
                                The ground is easy dug. During the summer months, it is hard baked and very hard work but now it spades up easy and the weather is as such that it pays to keep moving and digging hard because it is so cold. The ground was white this evening with a couple of inches of hail and snow. In another few weeks the buds on the bushes will begin to turn onto leaves and moving things about will not be quite so easy or agreeable.
  I pruned back all our small fruit bushes ,the black/red currants, goosegogs. I have a small retaining wall to build, with a set of steps. It will be nice to pick up the trowel again and act the part of the bricklayer. But first I have a few meters of soil to dig out and strip founds to mix and pour and then I get to lay a block or two. Grin,
   The aim is also to erect a 5ft high fence to screen off the lower yard and pretty the place up but hopefully I will have the bushes started growing and producing before the screen goes up.
  In the background there is movement on the super duper wind turbine. Plans for a yaw with a series of 6 slip rings and 12 brushes,, Shocked Shocked but the measurements are taking shape and it is all doable.
                               Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2015, 11:47:45 AM »

Great wind today as well,
                        Electric fire on all night and still nice tank full of hot water this morning, so washing machine going and shortly the vacuum cleaner as well. Our turbine faces into the north west,s  steady force 8, hour after hour with barely a sideways shuffle. We had serious lightening yesterday and  our hounds were a little uncomfortable with the thunder. The sudden heavy squalls of heavy hail does not help.
 All work in the garden can come to a standstill, everything dripping wet. Even Shed projects are abandoned until after dinnertime tomorrow when the weather is supposed to ease up and let us get on with life.
                                                         Biff

camillitech

« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2015, 01:32:30 PM »

Great wind today as well,
                        Electric fire on all night and still nice tank full of hot water this morning, so washing machine going and shortly the vacuum cleaner as well. Our turbine faces into the north west,s  steady force 8, hour after hour with barely a sideways shuffle. We had serious lightening yesterday and  our hounds were a little uncomfortable with the thunder. The sudden heavy squalls of heavy hail does not help.
 All work in the garden can come to a standstill, everything dripping wet. Even Shed projects are abandoned until after dinnertime tomorrow when the weather is supposed to ease up and let us get on with life.
                                                         Biff

Few 'brown trouser' moments here yesterday Biff with the Proven pushing out over 4kW  Shocked I really am going to have to get some kind of 'dump load' to protect the inverter. Pretty fresh today and sunshine too  Cool

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 ... 126   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: