navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 157447 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1080 on: August 03, 2017, 09:29:43 AM »

Sounds like a lot of fun. Paul. 

We had Suzanne Vega at a summer festival about 1km down the road practically alcohol free.

Rain stop play on my painting today
camillitech

« Reply #1081 on: August 03, 2017, 09:34:06 AM »

Strewf Biff, the 'wee devils' are out in force this morning at home, just packing up to head eastwards and getting eaten alive by the dreaded midge  surrender

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, SI6.OH, WB1200, SB3800,SB2500,WB6000, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1082 on: August 03, 2017, 09:51:19 AM »

I know all about your "Wee devils Paul,
                            Moons ago, I stayed on Skye for a few weeks. The X came out in big white lumps. Our own midges were bad enough but yours are sheer torture.
   Sprays and potions were useless. Grin
                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1083 on: August 03, 2017, 10:17:57 AM »

Sounds like a lot of fun. Paul. 

We had Suzanne Vega at a summer festival about 1km down the road practically alcohol free.

Rain stop play on my painting today

Was just listening to her last night Tod, probably the first time I've heard the name in twenty years. Darling wife trying on 'summer of love' outfits, son is shaking his head in despair  hysteria

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, SI6.OH, WB1200, SB3800,SB2500,WB6000, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1084 on: August 03, 2017, 11:36:22 AM »

The banana tree, the orange bushes and the pineapple tree are at the back,

This is either Gala or Pink lady and is the very first time that this tree has produced anything. I put it down to the amount of Ash log ashes that I put round the apple trees over winter. I just emptied the ash pan every few days round the base of the tree,

This is the Bramley and a super duper desert apple. I know i should have removed some of those apples to allow the fruit to get bigger, But i can do it now and still use the ones that i take off.

These are a cracking little eating apple that leave a very pleasant aftertaste. They store very well. The red color from the skin seeps into the white of the apple and for some reason improves the taste. I have no idea what they are called. When the apples started forming, Angel knew they were there and started pulling and munching at the end of a few Bramley branches. I gave her a gentle telling off and now she goes over the the tree with the red apples and sit looking up at them every few days. She can smell them getting ripe. She used to go round the back of the tree from me and look guilty as hell when i told her to "get out of there" To be honest, I think she likes winding me up, I fact I know she does. Eating apples does not seem to affect her in the least,,No runs or anything like that, no wind breaking. So Her insides must be genetically capable of digesting the acid in the apples. Diese might struggle with half an apple core just to annoy her but there is no way that he could tackle eating a full sized apple with relish like she does. He would be lucky to get sick and avoid the runs. She is no way infantile like pups who eat apples and carrots, This must be in her breed, It,s something that I have not encountered before.
  Our big fat plums also benefited from the ash log ashes. We have loads of sealed jars for the microwave jam and a better microwave as well.
  Junkers, both solid and engineered. This is a shame and only a small amount of the pile that i have cut up into 340mm lengths. I felt bad about doing this because Junkers was not cheap 12 years ago. I would have gladly given it away to some one to make a floor but no one was interested.
The blue screwfix goes through it like butter, The chain on the electric chain saw needs lots of oil to stay cool so the circular saw won in the end.
 The rain is clearing up..  Tea,,pie,,cheese cracker buttie and out to play.
                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1085 on: August 03, 2017, 11:57:29 AM »

It's a good idea to dissuade your dogs from eating apples whole. Skin and pulp can be good in reasonable amounts as they deliver vitamin C. It's the pips you need to worry about as like a lot of fruit pips and stones they contain cyanide. (not good, make best friend poorly). Most larger dogs would likely swallow the pips whole and they would go straight through and out the other end without bother.  Dogs that eat for the sake of chewing and crunching are more likely to break the seed cases open and suffer the effects. Same thing goes for cherries. There are several things toxic to dogs, like all grape-products, chocolate, onions, garlic etc.
N

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
2 ten year old Armasafe tank batteries
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1086 on: August 03, 2017, 05:06:02 PM »

Good advice N2,
                She has rheumatism as well and the acid from the apples will not help her joints. For some daft reason she likes the taste of apples,
  However, they will be getting scarce from now on.
                                                       Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1087 on: August 03, 2017, 09:23:50 PM »

It's a good idea to dissuade your dogs from eating apples whole. Skin and pulp can be good in reasonable amounts as they deliver vitamin C. It's the pips you need to worry about as like a lot of fruit pips and stones they contain cyanide. (not good, make best friend poorly).

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Well that's me fecked N, the only thing I don't eat off an apple is the stalk, always eat the whole core and chew up the pips, have done for thirty or forty years. Was always led to believe it was good ruffage, you got me worried now. That probably explains why I never took any ill from using Super glue to stitch deep cuts. Stopped doing that a few years ago when I realized that it had cyanide in it  wackoold I guess I must have built up a tolerance from all the apple pips and treated fence posts I've eaten and or handled  Grin Was feeding me 'wee dug' grapes and raisins for years too but I think that's OK, apparently it's like a nut allergy to dugs, if they don't die the first time then they're OK. Don't do it any more right enough 'just in case', I do love the 'wee dug'.  Grin

Nickel2

« Reply #1088 on: August 04, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »

We all eat a little poison every day as part of our regular diet. Nature puts poisons into plants to stop us eating them; if we die from eating a food item the message is carried verbally between members of the species. Most dogs obtain all of their food from humans, so eat what they are given or what they learn to like from the choices available.

https://www.foodbeast.com/news/12-human-foods-that-could-kill-your-dog/

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/27/father-of-three-almost-died-from-cyanide-poisoning-after-eating-cherry-stones-6810221/

There are many things we should not eat, that our parents tell us about. Some parents are either too lazy to do so, or were never told themselves.
By the way, garden plants also hold risks for you and your children!

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=524

Live long and prosper!   fingers crossed!

EpEver 4210A at 24v
camillitech

« Reply #1089 on: August 04, 2017, 10:38:24 AM »

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked Well I never, that's quite scary, I often used to swallow the stones whole when I was a child, good job none were broken or digested. Looking back on some of the things I've eaten it's a miracle I reached my sixties.

Pure miserable here at Belladrum just now, so glad I'm in a caravan and not a tent. Saw Sister Sledge last night, was never really my thing but they were boodly amazing  extrahappy

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1090 on: August 04, 2017, 01:31:31 PM »

What a bit of reading Paul,
                     The two at the bus stop going hammer and tongs, advice on not to glue your Urethra shut and more on where not to put a ladies make up sponge.
 This must be the site where Peter Kay gets his ideas.
Reminds me of the old one about the dad mowing the lawn and the next doors neighbour,s dog is trying to mount their family dog,,So his young son asked him what the dogs are doing and the dad says,,
  "Ah,, Our dog has run out of petrol and their dog is kindly giving our,s a push,,"
  So off he goes on a working trip away from home and a few nights later he rings home and his son answers the phone..
 "Ah good son,, Now where yer Mam"
 "She is out of petrol Dad"
 "whatayamean she is outa petrol son",,,(Getting annoyed like we would)
 " She is in bed, outsa petrol and John Next door is kindly giving her a push Dad,"

I know, I should,nt but there is a chance some of you might have forgotten it.   facepalm  My old man would say,,"Ach,,there is a beard on that one"
                                                                                Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1091 on: August 04, 2017, 06:30:51 PM »

Old faithful with a bag, packed solid with recycled timbers, I may have to get out the electric chainsaw and fell an old ash to make up the difference..

Angel,s treasures, Every week or so, I clear the window ledge and she starts looking all over again. She is banned from pulling apples off the trees but she can find these little old ones, each time i chuck them into the long grass These are the ones she got passed me in the dark. She considers it a victory of sorts to dump them on the floor and then I have to go and take them off her. Happiness is a rock to cuddle and snore next to but not too pleasant for us humans to step on in the dark.

The pair waiting to get in. The years fly by. They get stiff and sore, just like us.
                                                         Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1092 on: August 06, 2017, 10:24:31 AM »

A solid wall of misty pea soup drives in from the west,
                      I had plans, Yesterday was a good breezy drying day with plenty of sunshine, hot water,loads of power for the washing machine and I mowed the rear lawn. The warm blustry breeze shook the droplets of most of the grass and made it all possible to mow. I finished the rear one, in round the fruit trees and all the tricky places I get to know so well. The final assault should have overpowered the front lawn but a tasty curry dinner followed by a fruit and yogurt desert while watching Usain trying to defend his years with dignity and marveling at his good spirited nature. Usain will always be a champion and may have saved the sport from a slow death. I sympathised, He did say that he was having trouble getting away from the blocks, I know all about it, Getting up out of the armchair after hours on the mower is tricky too. The legs just don,t obey, They have an unwilling mind of their own and they take that extra time to conform to command..it is something that youth has yet to experience.
   Visibility is down to approx 50 yards. Not a good day for PV, Grin
                                                 Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1093 on: August 06, 2017, 12:19:05 PM »

What you need is a sit on mower. It just so happens that I have one for sale!  You know I just had the thought of driving it from Sweden to Ireland. If you ignored the pollution, noise etc progressing at 4mph along the back roads could be very agreeable. You could take your ebike to meet us😀

Reaching 'maturity' can be a b* gg*r telling the knees that descending a ladder is a shrewd move can be problematic.  Still being able to moan about it is a big plus denied to many!! Grin

Still painting and dodging showers.

Sharing the bed with a border collie and a cat. No Mrs T in the house and discipline goes to pot.
Nickel2

« Reply #1094 on: August 06, 2017, 12:41:46 PM »

...'driving it from Sweden to Ireland'...
Perhaps a sponsored lawnmower trip in aid of... nah, maybe not  laugh

EpEver 4210A at 24v
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 71 72 [73] 74 75 76 77 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: