navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 157443 times)
Scruff

« Reply #1125 on: August 23, 2017, 03:39:39 AM »

i read the sg,

Every day/week?  Shocked faint

i have one on the wind turbine which lets me see what we have generated without any expensive bits.

as for loss, at present we have power galore, we have been taking 24kw per day recently, even with the new air source heat pump and electric kettle etc, we are only using 15kw to 18kw ish.

True, I'm a less is more kinda guy. Makes naff all difference on a generator because the shunt losses will be directly proportionl to the generator output.
I'd stick a fancy wan on the battery..generators/single loads...not a significant loss.

The last 10% efficiency costs ~40% of the gross investment.
...that'd be my coat over there -> I'm getting.  whistlie
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:46:38 AM by Scruff » Logged
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1126 on: August 23, 2017, 11:27:28 AM »

"A foul Wind a Blowing"
  And we knew very little about it. During the night, about 3am an electrical storm passed over, we were told that the rain was ferocious and the wind really tore through the townland but we slept through it. Farther afield in Inishowen, the real damage was done, dozens of bridges have been washed away and sinkholes have opened up , just like you would see in Florida. Derry city was hit very hard and the townland of Burnfoot had a complete house washed away. At the moment there is no way through from Buncrana to Moville, all the bridges are gone. Even from the North Pole Pub to Carn, the bridges have all been washed away up on the Mountain Rd. The news is still coming in. Cars floating and being washed down the streets seem top be a common theme. I don,t remember anything like this happening before on such a scale. We had bright sunshine here this morning at 8am, Our W/T is belting out the amps and on our walks this morning I never noticed anything out of place apart from the grass being flattened, which happens here on a regular basis. I think back to a time when my son and I set the place out and cleaned out the drains,sometimes to a depth of 8ftx 6ft wide, It meant that any sudden flooding could escape, then I spent 1000,s on ferrying in loads of fill, builders fill and top soil raising the whole acre, in places, another 8ftagain  above the surrounding land. It was money well spent. At the time there were a few folks who thought that I had a screw loose but now years later as the trees mature and lend an air of respectability to the whole effort, it has all been worth it.

We had a rainbow at 8am, It started on our array and went right over the shed. I don,t know if it is still visible in the pic.
                                 Biff
  Yes, the rainbow is still visible, running from the array up to the second turbine prop, a little to the left of the prop,(the one farthest away) This is remarkably close to the house.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 11:33:43 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
eabadger

« Reply #1127 on: August 23, 2017, 06:41:45 PM »

just read this, stunned, hope all are ok.
what is happening with our world weather?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-41019610

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
camillitech

« Reply #1128 on: August 23, 2017, 08:49:34 PM »

just read this, stunned, hope all are ok.
what is happening with our world weather?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-41019610

steve

Boodly Hell  Shocked I was gonna start whinning about how wet it was here last night but not after seeing those  Lips Sealed

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, SI6.OH, WB1200, SB3800,SB2500,WB6000, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1129 on: August 23, 2017, 10:25:00 PM »

63mm of rain fell in 6 hours,
                            I doubt very much if we ever had anything like this kind of rainfall here before. There are land slides are all over Inishowen.
  Luckily enough, we seem to have got off light. We had really heavy rainfall and a real electrical storm with serious high winds,
 I think the scariest thing of all was an electrical storm that passed over a bare mountain side near Buncrana, There were a group of three bungalows being lit up by dozen lightening strikes hitting the ground around them and in between them, simultaneously. It was filmed on a mobile from a nearby road. I don,t know if there was any damage. There was lightning damage recorded on several other houses. There were record numbers of lightening strikes all over Donegal the majority just hitting empty areas. Myself and Mrs Biff slept through it all. Even the hounds did not bark. Weird.
                                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1130 on: August 24, 2017, 02:21:52 PM »

What a day,
        High,  Blustry wet winds coming in from every direction., Everything is soaking wet. The draughts and the noise in the shed makes it unwelcome. I have much to do but a relaxing day in the house is a superior choice. Our W/T is pumping out the amps and both tanks are warm.
Tomorrow,s forecast is for very heavy rainfall around 6pm, Sat and Sun are giving sunny clear skies mostly, So there is light at the end of the Tunnel or shouls I say,,sun,light.
                                                                           Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1131 on: August 25, 2017, 05:33:11 PM »

The morning was wet but we don,t complain,
                              We come out ahead most times. The windy wet weather cools the Turbine during braking, Our tanks are toasty roasty. I got fed up straying inside and legged it down to the shed. Most of the cutting and grinding was done outside yesterday, during a break between showers but today I did the rest of the cutting with the hackdaw. I am building a steel base for a tank and I stuck a bracket on the charger to hold the redirected exhaust. Now it now looks like something out of Mad Max.
 But at least it will not foul up the new controller. I also have to cover the alternator to deflect any rain,
There are some snags on the belt which need to be looked at, Somehow, the alternator now seems to be running out of line, but that is easy fixed. With the bad weather, i did not get time to install the new base, so now I have decided to lower the ground level and lay 6 x 12" x 18" x 4" foundations blocks on their flat on sand. This can be done in any kind of weather and lets the water away better. It is also better soundproofing . It might seem a lot of bother to go to but properly set up, this machine does everything that I want, all at the one time on a pittance of diesel.
                                                                                    Biff
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:35:30 PM by biff » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1132 on: August 26, 2017, 06:34:11 AM »

Autumn has arrived a few electric storms but nothing like you chaps have experienced. Stay safe.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1133 on: August 26, 2017, 10:09:47 AM »

Very unpredictable, windy and wet one minute and then sunny and bright the next,
         Reports are coming in of a serious hurricane and flooding in Texas, generally speaking we get the tail end of these within 3 days and sometimes they can be very damaging.
   There is a bit of a blow next Tuesday but it is farther North and catching Scotland. Things can change all too quickly.
                                                                                               Biff

eabadger

« Reply #1134 on: August 26, 2017, 11:51:18 AM »

very hot and humid here last few days, not sunny all day but tends to come out early afternoon, spent most of the week sorting the 4x4 for the mot, sweating my bits off and getting frustrated at wrong parts being delivered and then me being blamed by supplier!! who now admits part was for a 6 year older car but wants me to pay return postage!!

still made enough solar power to not run generator for months now, no wind to speak of but the solar keeps flooding in, soon need to change the angle again.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1135 on: August 29, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »

The day started miserable,
                          But it picked up after dinner and I did a little futtering and grunting,

These babies are guaranteed to make anyone grunt. The blocks are level and will be covered in a soft surface. the charger will sit some 3 inches lower. The concrete under the blocks is a weak mix and hopefully this will help absorb sound better and deaden the vibration. I have a metal cover to fit over the alternator and a new controller to fit and that it it done for the winter.

The lucky bag mixer. This machine may look quite threatening. It is 400watt and was bought for 240euros some years ago, new. I built the shed with it and did numerous little jobs with it. It owes me nothing. Today it ran off the house mains. When I was building the shed it ran of a 48v forklift pack
and 2 x  165watt solar panels that sat on top of an old transit.
                                Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1136 on: August 31, 2017, 10:42:44 AM »

Narry a breeze,
                Bright sunshine filtering through the trees on our morning stroll. I have been cheating Angel. She dutifully carried our bramley windfalls unto the hall, tenderly with no breaks in the apple skin and sometimes two large bramleys at a time. Her mouth is much much bigger than one would think. So for all this action and considerate care, she gets the odd treat and somehow none of the excitement that she is due, so Yesterday, solo,I used a small plastic bag to lift some apples from under the trees and plant them in rush clumps and under ordinary bushes. Hopefully not leaving my scent on them but knowing her and her nose, it will not take long for her to figure out that I have been conning her,,Still this morning she stood next to a clump of rushes and somehow ,it was wrong,, the scenery props did not match the actual story and she just stood there pointing. So on my way out and down to the shed, I will lift the other planted apples in the other 3 locations and stop the nonsense, I might just spoil something that is good and wholesome. Diesel just goes "Huh". I picked a box of Bramley yesterday and delivered them down the road. They were well received, the household had already been out picking blackberries so the Bramleys will be put to a good use. Our blackberries have ripened at last and our plums will soon be ready for processing.
My charger base is finished and ready and I am well on with the alternator cover, a simple affair..I need a few more days of good dry weather...don,t we all.
                                                      Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1137 on: August 31, 2017, 01:00:14 PM »

Looking forward to bramley apples.
When it is unobtainable there is no point hankering.
A pint of 'boys bitter' real ale not high alcohol lager!
A pork pie without having to make it.
A few of my favourite things!
Bursts into song.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1138 on: August 31, 2017, 01:58:29 PM »

hysteria

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1139 on: August 31, 2017, 05:41:20 PM »

Grin,
        I ate my first plum this evening,,, extrahappy Beautiful sunning evening here,,nice fresh breeze from the north west. Solar and wind turbine delivering loads of juice.
 I managed a cover on the alternator, A cover of sorts.
It is simple and held on with 4 x 8mm bolts. I suspected that the driving rain was getting at it, especially from the west. It is not designed to perform in the rain, so a cover is a must. I will whip the cover off tomorrow and give the steel a coat of rust proofer. Next are two little stabalising straps and a solenoid on the pump.
   The plums are quite strong this year, almost a taste of alcohol. They are also a lot bigger as well. I gave away buckets of them from the last big crop we had and it is likely we will do the same this year.
 It is quite amazing that one tree can produce so much fruit. The fruit to the west side would be normal enough but in the shaded eastern side the plums are bending the branches with their weight.
                                                                                            Biff

Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: