navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 126   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 346233 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2015, 10:34:07 AM »

I cannot complain,
                       We are having strong wind now for weeks on end, but the driving rain is spoiling the show. At the moment there board meeting up there where they will decide which way to blow, but I already have inside knowledge which is pretty accurate and we should be having loadsa hot water by 6pm.
  BAKER,!!! If you are reading this please note that there are freakish conditions heading your way and the red is directly over you between 12 noon and 6pm this evening, so you are in for a pretty rough few hours.
  For a while the parts of the lawn which I wanted to dig were just perfect but now it has reached saturation point and there is danger of the lot turning into a mud bath. However, I had a rare stroke of genius and devised a method of ripping out those horrible alder saplings that decided to congregate around the turbine resting area. They were going to pose a serious problem to the mower,, strimmer, etc.
  I looped a good strong rope, tight around the base of each sapling , Passed the scaffold bar, a 10ft length through the loop, which was of such clever and acutely intelligent design that it tightened and griped the sapling like a vice as I lifted the far end of the scaffold bar, So with a little 4" x 2" wooden pad at the low end, under the scaffold pole and me the donkey ,lifting at the other end, the saplings were wrenched from the ground, with as much of the roots as possible. I simply refuse to patent this design but I will gladly post it to mine enemies, because after wrestling with a dozen of these bally little pastards, I feel like I have fallen down 10 fights of stairs this morning. The problem with this brilliant idea is that it pushs you on to greater achievements  until you are almost ready to crumple over on your head, like I was. There is no fool like a old fool. Still, She herself landed back from the shops and Yo-Ho,d me a cupa which I gladly thumbed up and staggered into the house after her, leaving a few of the little twisters behind until today when the rain clears away and I have enough puff to go back and slaughter them.
                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2015, 09:40:51 AM »

The sun is up,
                    But the bank is already full to the gills. I did not get my head out the door yesterday to battle with the remaining saplings instead, I dodged out a few times to take the hounds to their toilet area and each time had to dry them down (which they enjoy). The wind did not ease off, Instead the red came close to the shore and we got a right old pounding from 6pm until about 2am. Just before the real blow got going, Diese got quite unsettled, I believe it is the sudden change in the atmospheric pressure, Yet he is fine outside with gusts almost lifting him off the ground.
  So while the storm raged outside and Diese and Nat slept at out feet. We watched Carl Frampton retain his world title in Belfast in one of his most convincing displays of his career to date. We had all the lights on in the house but we had no room left for drying more clothes and the excess hot water went to be heat exchanged into the C/H system.
  Outside, the grass is flattened, The street is scoured and the tarmac on the roads is drying out a light grey colour.. Some of the sustained gusts last night were rattling the tiles on our roof and it is a long time since that happened. However Carl Frampton took out minds off it and there was almost as much noise in the 5th round inside the house as there was outside ,with Diese and Nat giving me looks that said,,"awwwwwwwwwww cop on will ya"
  It is the 1st of March, I always say that March is the month that blows the controllers. So for all you recent installers of new gadgetry , Now is the time to be very wary because the combination of the extra wind and soaring extra power from the pv,  catches the controllers by surprise. All my old 12v controllers were blown in March so that is how I know this. I once had cloud shield explained to me, where the suns rays are magnified through the edge of  cloud giving a serious boost to the PV . Be it right,, or be it wrong, It certainly made sense to me at the time. The magic,Smelly, Grey/Black smoke hung around the room for days despite some nice scented candles. We live, We learn.
                                                                         Biff
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:47:45 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2015, 10:31:48 AM »

It is the 1st of March, I always say that March is the month that blows the controllers. So for all you recent installers of new gadgetry , Now is the time to be very wary because the combination of the extra wind and soaring extra power from the pv,  catches the controllers by surprise. All my old 12v controllers were blown in March so that is how I know this. I once had cloud shield explained to me, where the suns rays are magnified through the edge of  cloud giving a serious boost to the PV . Be it right,, or be it wrong, It certainly made sense to me at the time. The magic,Smelly, Grey/Black smoke hung around the room for days despite some nice scented candles. We live, We learn.
                                                                         Biff

Yes Biff, I was just thinking the same last night and will be keeping a close eye on things, up until now 'wind has been king' by a long shot averaging almost 20kWh per day, hydro 2nd at 18.5kWh per day from one turbine. I can't measure the other one as it's supplying the old house at the moment but it should be similar and the 4.75kW of solar a measly 4kWh per day. I checked the PVGIS last night and that's just about average at this latitude, but it leaps up to over double that this month. Couple that with the equinoctial gales and it's gonna be an interesting month  fingers crossed!

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Billy
« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2015, 10:34:36 AM »

biiifffff,

mad March days indeed.  Even on the quiet side it is chuffing a little bit.  The littLE turnip goes rather well in a blow and you can't hear it until it slows down.   Grin  The little dog needs his lead coat on and face the wind or he is rolled like tumbleweed, which is rather embarassing for him, being royalty like.

Hang onto your hat.   snow

an' Paul, how about plugging your ferry into your extra.   Grin
Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2015, 10:35:30 AM »

Woss 'cloud shield'?
I g**gled it, but all I got was some technology company. Has it got another name?

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »

Hi N2,
     Some years back, the term "Cloud shield" was being bandied about to describe what happens when the sun shines through the edge of a cloud and the effect magnifies the suns rays. So perhaps they were talking about the clouds full of water/moisture/etc and the light being reflected much brighter down onto the PV.
  I don,t know how much scientific value this has but I do know that I had a series of controllers that would flash the red light like mad in March while I stood looking on like an idiot as the 12v controller fried once more.
                                                        Biff

Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2015, 10:58:47 AM »

Cheers Biff, I looked up 'edge of cloud effect' for info. I learn something new every day; a day without learning is a day wasted.

https://solarhomenews.wordpress.com/2009/09/03/edge-of-cloud-effect-may-not-be-what-you-think-it-is/

EpEver 4210A at 24v
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #127 on: March 01, 2015, 02:41:19 PM »

The remaining saplings were rooted out this morning,
                                    Bright sunshine flooded the garden. The hounds frolicked and played hide and seek with each other. It was good to dispatch the last of the saplings and hopefully I will get to transplant our fruit bushes shortly. Our turbine and PV are really pumping out the juice today and our tanks are full of hot water.The weather closed in and the snow and hail drove us inside. Still, it is good to get outside and stretch the legs a bit.
                                                                         Biff

Billy
« Reply #128 on: March 01, 2015, 06:08:06 PM »

I thought the "Wrack" were for stretching the legs biffffffff.  Or aint you bin awatchin WolfHall?
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2015, 06:20:06 PM »

Errr Billy,
               I meant to say,, take the sea airs, angel
                                        Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2015, 11:24:48 AM »

March is everything that I said it was,
                        The wind is relentless and keeps our turbine up on a steady 139/40v overnight, Then when the sun rises, the extra PV power goes straight into the water tanks. Each morning the water in our DHW tank circulates that bit earlier and by noon the C/H pump comes on and pushes the excess underneath the floors, not quite reaching the rads to make a difference but it will not be long before the rads will begin to get warm, I would say another month at the most.
  This system has multiple backups. There is two of everything, 2 x immersions, 2 x tanks, 2 x c//h pumps with the temp on one set slightly higher than the other,in case of pump failure. In all there are 3 pumps dealing with the excess heat, including the Bronze innard,s one circulating the hot ( in the dhwt) from the top of the tank through the solar coil at the bottom and back to the top again, even the pumps act as ac dump loads.
   Outside now, is a white out, The snow has not left the mountains all week and more snow is forecast.
  fruit bushes?,, digging ?,  NOPE,"!! Visibility is down to 20 yards, My faithful hounds snore gently, This is a day for the fireside.
                                                                      Biff

« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 11:28:13 AM by biff » Logged

Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »

Do soft fruits grow well in snow?
'Scotland is famous for its raspberry growing and in the late fifties raspberries were taken from Scotland to Covent Garden on a steam train known as the Raspberry Special.'

EpEver 4210A at 24v
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #132 on: March 02, 2015, 12:04:46 PM »

Many years ago,
                I used to listen to that special news edition which featured the latest news on the "Phantom Raspberry blower of Old London Town"
             Could their be a Scottish connection N2,?
                                             Biff

camillitech

« Reply #133 on: March 02, 2015, 12:35:04 PM »

Last I saw at 6:00am my panels were covered in snow  Cry Maybe the sun has melted it by now, I hope so, yesterday's solar generation was a pathetic 4kWh with solar and hydro combining to make ten times that  extrahappy

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #134 on: March 02, 2015, 01:09:54 PM »

I found it on the internet, so it must be true Wink
Just looked at the fruit season, and it's a bit later. Do they have sun that far north?

http://www.britishsummerfruits.co.uk/html/raspberries.htm

EpEver 4210A at 24v
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 126   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: