navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 ... 125   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 340343 times)
supremetwo

« Reply #1380 on: January 18, 2018, 04:38:39 PM »

Wolf loose in Berks this morning but encouraged back into a trailer by its owner.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-42730984

An animal capture expert who was tracking Torak said police would have shot to kill if the wolf had run on to the motorway.

Mike Allison, from Animal Capture UK, said: "That would have been the only option available to prevent human injury or loss of life."

But he added that Torak "looks the most unaggressive wolf I have ever seen".

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1381 on: January 18, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »

I am not sure what the law is at the present time,
                                                     But I knew quite a few people who kept wolves on an ordinary dog licence. A friend of mine kept a Canadian Timber Wolf (called Wolfie Grin) He was massive, grey /white/brown. He was very quiet and dignified and when he went to the vets for a checkup, the vets from other field stations used to come down to see him. He was a very calm character and was bred in Blessington by people who kept a proper wolf pack. Wolfie did not look big at a distance but when you got up close beside him,,he was simply massive. Frank kept him on an ordinary dog licence.
 Wolfie could stand on his hind legs and gently rest his chin on the top of Franks head, Frank was 6.2.  Wolfie needed a lot of exercise and his trips to the vet were because he grew too quickly and they had to regulate the calcium to his bones. In the wild he would have been a big wolf but not as big as he grew with the good steady diet that Frank fed him. He behaved very like a dog would but you were always aware that he was a genuine wolf and was just trying to get along and be nice,expecting to be treated nice in return. I would not support the idea of any tom dick and harry getting a wolf. It is a massive responsibility and one that frankly, I would avoid at all costs. Years ago in Kent, I adopted Dakota in the Wildwoods and when I was in the locality, i would travel there and talk to the folks who would take her and her pack out for walks, They were European wolves and quite a bit smaller than the Canadian timber wolves,,yet more aggressive. They would be the same strain that roam from N Italy through to Romania and beyond.
 Dakota was an Omega and quite low in the pecking order. Very friendly and licky.I left the area years ago and lost touch. The wildwoods has since expanded to keep bears and lots of other animals,,
                                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1382 on: January 19, 2018, 08:22:45 AM »

Wonderful.
Saw a lovely film featuring Hélène Grimaud and her wolf sanctuary.
Absolutely fabulous animals.
Would love to see them in the wild.

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1383 on: January 19, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »

Somewhere there is a book Tod,
                    It is the true story of a Croat soldier who adopted a wolf but unlike any other adoption,he went on the trial with the wolf, here there and everywhere, braving sub zero temperatures. He found her a mate who had pups and it was during that period that he was attacked. He recovered and patched up his relationship with his wolf but he was secondary. The jist of it was,, he released the pups into the wild after giving them short lessons. He returned to the same spot in the wild some months later and 2 of his pups came on call..I don,t think there was a happy ending but it is a very interesting, revealing kind of story..
   Maybe if we google it using different cross references, it might crop up.
  Or google,,"My Dad tried to tame a wolf" sh*tfan  Even I don,t play roughhouse games with my dogs,,,never mind a wolf reindeer/
 It is so easy to get romantic and join the people who want to reintroduce the wolves to Scotland but I have my doubts.  To me, one of the telling signs that people are getting carried away and losing their senses is when they start saying that "They are beautiful" or "he is beautiful". When they start saying that, then they have been charmed (Like me) and are vulnerable, The wolf is special in many ways and he tells us more about ourselves than about himself. They can read your mind and view things through your eyes..By that i mean,,they can use your eyes to see exactly what you are seeing and how you see it. My friend Frank said" That is a kind of scary is it not,?" Frank was a big strong man, a good honest man without a bad bone in his body and yet there he was telling me all about Wolfie and his talent for camouflage in seemingly impossible situations. I explained that Timothy Dalton the actor would agree with him because he had similar experience. Even Jack London wrote about the way that Wolves seemed to know too much. It is not just their super intelligence and planning ability but also what we call the 6th sense. If you saw the film where the wolf pack laid a trap for a coyote and knew exactly what the foolish coyote would do before they caught him,making it look so easy with the minimum of exertion . You had to feel sorry for the coyote.
   Wolves are fine in their own environment but outside of that, they are just too dangerous. They are free spirits ans want to stay that way. 
They say that we can breed back to the wolf in 10 generations of domestic dogs of any breed. I sincerely doubt that.
                                             Biff
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:53:14 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1384 on: January 20, 2018, 10:36:03 AM »

A mild Saturday morn,
                Even a little sun getting through but the freeze has lifted. Spare a thought for the residents of Houston, Texas who were in lock down for 2 days this week. Their normal climate has deserted them and they are still getting hit with freak freezing conditions. Heavy rain fell and as it hit the ground,,froze immediately, leaving the streets and play areas like skating rinks. There was nothing anyone could do but stay inside and wait for it to lift which took 48 hours. Traffic moved on the Beltway but elsewhere was frozen solid.
Today I will venture into the shed with the hounds. I have tested my 12v charging design and I am delighted to report that vibration is minimal even with the frame bare, so it should be very quiet and smooth with the battery and toys on board and of course a set of vibration absorbing wheels. The idea of the pull start is fine  but i would prefer a key start. It is something that i will look into at a later date. The big thing is reliability and fool proof starting. The modern 4stroke engine are a marvel of simplicity but I need something that can sit for months on end and start with the first suggestion.
  The frame as i said is 610mmm long and 400 x 400mm deep/wide. I think it is big enough but I can still cut it down length ways if not needed. You really don,t know how these things will turn out until you put them together and bring them to life.
         Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1385 on: January 21, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »

"Sniff  Sniff"
          Rain,,great big flapping sheets of it lashing the house, I had the towels ready for drying down but luckily it eased off to a heavy mist and our walk was short and sweet. Our controller in the hall is blowing off steadily, so we have plenty of hot water and lecky, even if we don,t have sunshine. Diesel twisted the two outside toes on his front left paw,,It reminds me of how vulnerable big dogs are to an injury on their feet. They have to be kept active but at the same time the paw has to be rested.  So last thing at night,I put a dash of Hibiscrub in to a basin and dangled the big paw into the liquid,,teasing any dirt out from between the swollen pads. It was sore. He has a very high pain threshold but still it bothered him. Once The paw was clean and dried, i got him to take one Nurofen 200mg Capsule and settled him down for the night. Bur even before Mrs Biff and i went to bed, The swelling had gone down noticeably. He stays between 65kgs and 70+kgs and he is not fat or overweight but you can understand why the paws and pads are of great importance. There were no cuts or joints out of place,,it was just a sprain. Angel worries for him and sleeps next to him,,head to head and that bothers me..(slightly, it reminds me to keep a closer eye on him)
   My shed is just too draughty and dark and even the Babes sit waiting with their wooden tokens,,ready to sprint for home. There must be some one on the net whome we could contact who would send us a better forecast..It does not have to be 100% correct, Maybe when my hero Donald retires,, he will take up weather forecasting and perhaps give the relations in Tong a decent all round sunny 365 day year. He could introduce himself as Greatest Weather forecaster on the planet and the music and song would start immediately,  "lay the win blow high",,"lay the win blow low,", "dun tha streit in ma kilt a go," " All the lassies say hello"  " Donald hes yer forecast"
  On a more serious note,,Mrs Biff and i used to take off for foreign places this time of year but the last place we went was Morroco and things were not bad back then but looking at the carnage on the telly, I am safer in the shed, inventing perpetual motion and i think i have it soused,,All I need is an unlimited supply of hot air and petrol.. I have already sourced the first but the second  needs to be studied further.  I am going back to bed before I annoy myself any more,,,,maybe.
                                                                      Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1386 on: January 23, 2018, 06:26:53 PM »

More storms,
         Great turbine output for the past few days but a real humdinger of a blow is heading in directly from the Atlantic. Tony, Your new turnip should be well tested by 6am tomorrow morning.
 It should cope without any trouble. The wind will switch direction several times in the next 12 hours, so you get a good variation. You will get your water heated tonight.
                                                                                  Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1387 on: January 23, 2018, 06:45:30 PM »

I had a busy day,
                No peace for the wicked. Yesterday,I went and got a stonking great trailer load of timber.  Loads of pine flooring. Dozens of long hardwood spindles,,some 20ft+ of hardwood handrail,and base plate and reams of 4 x4s and all kinds,,finished off with a few pallets on top. I left it overnight in the lee of the rear of the red container, and today i looked out, the place was dry and i decided to get my saw,,hammers barrow and get cracking. i took the covers off,,and just as i began to unload it into the rear of the red container,,a storm got up and it rained cats ,dogs and ducks..The container which had shielded me now became my enemy and allowed the wind to blow the water all along it,s 45 ft roof and dumps copious amounts of water down the back of my neck as I rushed to unload the trailer into the rear of the container. My nice dry timber was getting power washed big time, The water that missed me fell straight into the trailer and of course I got soaked to the skin. Cry Cry
  After I got it all sorted and went inside to change and rest..The rain stopped.. No the sun did not come out but a very strong wind upped the tempo, like now. We could do with a name change here,, something like "New Patagonia",
                                                     Biff

Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #1388 on: January 23, 2018, 06:54:01 PM »

Perhaps when the wind howls and the rain threatens to drown even the hardiest of souls, the surplus electricity could be used to run a fan-heater/blower to dry the wood before the water soaks in. 
(Fan draws air through the heater and warms the shed, then the warm air from the shed gets exhausted through the wood-storage. Two birds one stone).

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1389 on: January 24, 2018, 07:57:43 AM »

No shortage of rain or wind here. norfolk

Kidwelly South Wales
Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #1390 on: January 24, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »

Biff,
I have been informed that at the bottom of S America, aroud Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego, 3 low pressure systems can pass in a day. So the weather varies quickly and varidly. A bit like where you reside.
Saying that, it was blowing a hoolie here at 5am this morning.
Philip R
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1391 on: January 24, 2018, 09:50:40 AM »

We had the same hoolie Philip,
                                and it is still going strong. Force 8/9 sucks the manhole covers off the foul drains. This morning the one next to the house was lying a few feet away, upside down.  Grin
  OurTV pic starts getting the stutters in a force 9+. Last night the "Special victims Unit" members including Benson, Elliot and Rollins were all getting strokes with frozen faces that lasted for a minute at a time,They still manage to speak without moving their lips though..So old repeats get an interesting remake and Mrs Biff and I say to one another,, "I don,t remember it this part,,do you?"
    Tod,,Its only a drop of rain. I am sure you missed the real rain when you were sunning yourself in Sweden,  garden
  N2, Oddly enough, I managed to get a handy barrowfull of handy cuts already boiler sized, soaked of course but once o got the stove up and running it burned really well. I am starting to believe that maybe I am keeping the wood too dry,  We had to damp down the stove completely last night,,the wind even sucked the ashes out of the pan,, These things have their benefits,, freeze
                        Biff
   The hounds used to get unsettled and bark like mad during a storm and then I happened to hear the deep growling noise in the lounge . It was the wind sucking air up the  narrow 5" flue and once i let them investigate it properly, They settled down. Oh Boyoho,, we are having real rain right now,,It is just a firemans hose on all our windows..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:55:39 AM by biff » Logged

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1392 on: January 24, 2018, 11:28:03 AM »

We've had to delay dog-walking today. None of us like walking in horizontal rain.
I can't say that the wind has ever emptied my ashpan although it does sound like a good selling point Smiley. What always amazes me with my Clearview is that I only have to empty the ashpan twice per week; that is with burning logs 24/7. It all gets put around the fruit bushes.
Stan
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:37:27 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1393 on: January 24, 2018, 12:34:54 PM »

No chance of a delayed dog walk Stan.
Mrs T away visiting her Mum, protection gone,  Elliott climbs onto the bed at 7 am sticks his nose in my face and then sits on me. wackoold
I think this passes as a collie hint.
I think the bu**er can read the clock!
Full waterproofs and off we go.
He walks up the hill road with his eyes screwed shut, I really don't think it can pass as pleasure even for him.
Don't mind the rain but it it is a bit depressing to go out into the storm rather than the rain arrive when you are walking.
The grotty bit is getting back to disrobe me, and then towel him to pass muster takes almost as long as the walk. Aided by the cat who is jealous of the attention that Elliott is receiving!

On the other hand beach walking is a pleasure no matter what the weather. Yesterday someone had removed the Gower Peninsular but the waves and wind made up for its loss. Sometimes think we are getting second hand weather Biff having had first use Grin

« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 12:54:24 PM by todthedog » Logged

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1394 on: January 24, 2018, 05:18:01 PM »

Georgina,
       That is what she is called, We never even knew she was coming to visit until after she raved it up here last night.
   All is good here. I have a confession Stann, Georgina lifted the ashes out of the basket complete but did leave some behind in the ash pan.
 I spent an hours enclosed in the red store,,beating nails,, pulling nails and leaving it handy for cutting..Mrs Biff had the washing machine going all day and the saw would have been too much for the 2kw inverter. It is an excellent saw but it needs the 5kw generator..So if tomorrow calms down a bit I will start cutting again.

Biff

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 ... 125   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: