navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 ... 125   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 340347 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1410 on: February 16, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »

Glorious sun here today, like yesterday. The 3 collies arrive in my garden earlier and earlier as the sheep station takes advantage of the early daylight. They have 2200 ewes this time and the scanner revealed a lot of triplets, even quads. After some kibble we're off up the lane to get on the traffic-free ridge lane. Once again, Kim is uncontrollable when she smells the sheep carcass and I continue with the other 2 for a mile before turning back. This lane has the solar farm on one side and the word is that pikeys have paid a visit in the last few days to steal cable from it. We meet Kim near where we left her, looking pleased, crunching a rib in her mouth.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Westie

« Reply #1411 on: February 16, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »

Up on the beach just as dawn was cracking wackoteapot
Lovely to see the sun rise over the Gower. The sun almost forgotten how to spell that word, so seldom used. Dead calm but the sea was covered with white caps, just enough room on the beach sharing it with a variety of sea birds. Great to see them that close. Fresh but with no wind didn't seem that cold.
Back for breakfast and then collapse into the basket for a nap. Grin

Nice, shows your definitely a basket case, that's why you've ended up in Wales  hysteria

When we were kids we would slowly edge up the feeding flocks on the beaches of the gower, you could get quite close moving slowly, then when they started to get edgy we would rush forward shouting and waving our arms and take huge joy in the resulting screaming  birdy blizzard..... Now we're older and more sensible we just watch them but I still get the urge....

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #1412 on: February 17, 2018, 03:44:56 PM »

Looks like we just had a small earthquake here about an hour ago.  BBC reports it as 4.4 magnitude and 20km NNE of Swansea. We just felt a low rumble that lasted maybe 20 seconds.

Volunteer moderator
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1413 on: February 17, 2018, 06:14:46 PM »

It,s just Tod,
          Rushing to get the.new house finished. surrender
       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

North-East Hampshire

« Reply #1414 on: February 17, 2018, 06:39:51 PM »

Didn't feel a thing here in NE Hants. There is an old fire bell in my wshop set horizontally so the clapper rattles the gong when a steam-loco or other out-of-balance train is getting near. Not a tinkle.  tumble

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
Nearly dead 24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1415 on: February 18, 2018, 07:57:16 AM »

'The earth moved for me darling!'  facepalm
Deep rumble accompanied by a vibration for a few seconds.

Very odd thought it was the military trying out some big bomb. They have a range a few  miles away and we occasionally​ hear a boom.

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1416 on: February 21, 2018, 02:30:45 PM »

Then we has a day like today,
                        A foggy start around 6am,  Out and on the road at 8am, heading south through the lands between Benbulbin and the lake district, with it ancient woodlands , holly birch Oak and Hawthorn edging the roads to keep them from sinking. Through Kinlough, Glenade and Mullies were fast asleep, The roads were iced in the shade and the rising sun was blinding through the fog patches.
  By 12pm,we were heading home after a meal in Manor , the road clear and dry as the little Kia wound it,s way homewards. The beauty of this countryside is stunning, especially south of Glenade where time seems to have stood still. Farther north in Kinlough,,the houses are barns of debt but well kept. How could one build such houses out in the wilds but then it is only a short drive to Sligo ,the financial hub of the North West.
     Clivejo would only have been a short detour but I was pushed for time. The journey was not without incident , some poor unfortunate motorist collided with a truck, flipped over onto it,s roof and as we passed by the ambulance men were directing traffic and no Gardai present. The driver was still in the car. upside down. For some reason the councils had not gritted the roads and the black ice could be extremely treacherous. We were home by 12.15 with the hounds ecstatic and Angel more clingy than usual. It was walks in the brilliant sunshine immediately where she skipped and frolicked like a lamb or a lamb that looked like a sack of spuds on 4 short stiff legs. She pounds the ground with delight, her ears shooting up and down like Mable Lucie Attwell,s dogs . Real joy.
  The sunshine never let up. Our tanks are full of hot water, the big DHWT is piping hot on the verge of dumping heat into the rads..In another few weeks when the days are a little longer, that will be the case with the stove warm to the touch and the firebox empty.
  The daffies and croakies are out

The montbretia is lying defeated from numerous storms and lashing of rain,,then ice and hail and just about everything that mother nature can throw at it,,but in another few weeks,,they will rise from the beaten brown mat and vanquish the crocuses .
  Xena near the gate to keep a watchful eye.. Natily nearer the camera and 4 legged Biff asleep between them. Our Mountain Ash is bare to the bone with the odd bud but after today there will be a drive to burst forth..Roll on the spring.

There is still a few hours left to take Angel and visit the shed,,who knows I might develop "perpetual motion" on a commercial scale.  Strewth,,I do remember a time that there was a prize for the first person who could invent a perpetual motion machine but that was years ago..There are loads of them now.,even ones that run led lights Shocked Shocked Shocked,
   To Der Shed.......
                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1417 on: February 24, 2018, 10:34:26 AM »

Great dry weather ..good RE weather,,sunshine and great wind,
                                             It been dry these past few days. No rain just a good constant wind that sends the turbine into dump load mode and our immersions do the business. But it is cold. The oil in our 120dc charger has been reading -1 all day yesterday but it is located in a very cold wind tunnel so maybe that has some bearing on the readings. The wind is set to drop and clear skies are forecast to next Wednesday.
  The hounds enjoy this weather. Angel has a spring in her step and even Diesel is feeling perky and happier.
                                                   Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1418 on: February 26, 2018, 08:40:10 AM »

This dry spell is preparing the ground for the snow.
                                The temperature has seldom been above freezing these past few days. It is lovely weather.  Great for our Wind turbine and PV array, both are performing to the max. Our tanks are full of nice hot water, the fans are blowing constantly. Any kind of a small fire in the Stove sends the heat around the rads within minutes. The house is toasty roasty.
 We are clear of snow until Wednesday noon but by Thursday we will have a blizzard with force 8 winds, howling in from the East and even Raasay will have snow. So when they talk about "Disruption", They mean it.
   A few years back we has weeks of minus 8 and even minus 14. The ice was that thick that the local lads were driving on the lakes and posting videos on Tube. Luckily they were no incidents. But Lough Eske is pretty deep and final..For weeks on end we had to drive over 4" of diamond hard ice which coated our roads, neither grit nor salt made any difference to it. I guess it don,t work under minus 8.
       So City or country, stock up on good tinned grub like Sardines, Mackerel and Newfoundland Salmon. and of course mushy peas , beans and porridge. Matches and a candle. (and a shovel for her as well)You might have forgotten that ice and snow take down power lines very quickly. So think ahead and have your favorite little geni handy with enough fuel for a few weeks or so. Such simple precautions will save you from having to go out in the car,,getting stuck and having to try to explain all the mysterious little dents from helpful people.
           71 years ago the snow lasted to May. and hundreds of souls lost their lives because they were not prepared..These days we don,t have any excuses. We have the normally accurate forecasts. We have access to food and shelter. All we have to do it put the lot together and wait it out.
               Good luck.
                     Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1419 on: March 01, 2018, 09:39:45 AM »

We have real blizzard conditions here with the wind picking up the powdery snow and dumping it in strange shapes. The snow on my PV panels lies only in an ellipse in the centre of each one.
Walking 3 collies, my cheeks were really painful at one exposed point. The dogs however love it. Moll and Kim knock seven bells out of each other for half the way whilst Bet runs circles around them like the referee, moving in for the odd crafty nip or a quick rogering. They know where an old lady puts out meat for stray cats and cake for the birds, so I keep getting phone calls about its theft!
They all ran off home, half a mile before we got there. Each of their water buckets in their barn had half an inch of ice which I broke again. The water tap in the barn is frozen as is the one on the house. Mind you, this is nothing compared with keeping the farm animals watered but that's a job for other people.
Stan
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 09:41:24 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1420 on: March 01, 2018, 10:26:08 AM »

Minus 10 here,
              Bone dry Alpine weather. Yesterday,We drove over the mountain to town some 22 mile away..left a freezing -4 conditions and 15mile later we entered a slush wet area where the snow was falling steady, around 12noon it got steadily worse, so we finished up our business and headed home, coming down this side of the Derryveighs, the temperature just dropped like a stone back down to -6 but no snow worth talking about. A mile from home, the grey snow filled sky let loose with powdered hail and fine grain snow, It barralled along in 2ft diameter hollow angled waves before the car while white dust devils played back and forth across the road beneath the waves. It lasted for about 3 minutes. It was strange, very dramatic but not unpleasant. Later on, the wind has cleared the road bare and deposited the powdered snow in different pockets along the gaps in the hedges..
 I banked up the stove before bedtime and this morning it was still alive and the house warm. I was worried that the pipes might freeze and give us trouble after the thaw. Our bank is still functioning properly and taking the charge like it should. I had covered it with layers of large canvas sacks to act as insulation and it seems to have worked so far. Some years ago, the whole 2 ton froze and it would neither accept charge from the Turbine or power the inverter, We had 10 days of that but luckily i still had our  original 12v x 800amp yousa installation which was good enough for 400watts 230ac supply.  and of course our small 3kw diesel geni. After the thaw,,the 2 ton bank was just as good if not better than before Shocked. I need not have worried. I do believe it is snowing at the moment, at least it will get a bit warmer,
                                                  Biff
  5 pallets of these are coming in very handy.

camillitech

« Reply #1421 on: March 01, 2018, 11:32:10 AM »

Weather? what weather  Cool

OK, the hydro turbine froze and I'm drinking coffee made with deionized water cos the water is off but apart from that all is peachy.

fine weather for a spot of deer fencing

20kWh of wind, 5kWh PV so far and 3 kWh of solar HW if the controller is to be believed.

Now it's time to go back out and break into that frozen ground with my pinch bar, deionized water really does make a pish cup of coffee  Sad
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:37:08 AM by camillitech » Logged

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 8kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1422 on: March 01, 2018, 02:03:31 PM »

Been in to the village for a few bare necessities,
                                The Postie is closing down and all the shops will be shut until Monday. Apparently Emma is going to be rough.
  We has a few feeble showers to interrupt the brilliant sunshine but nothing lying on the ground. It is just like Raasay.
 We have some serious wind coming tonight but nothing that should bother us.
 The maps say that we should remain relatively clear of snow however we are getting pics sent to us from Kildare and Cork where they have already had 400mm of snow and are expecting the same again.
  Kildare has been hit quite badly but the biggest headache is the power disruption, Thousands of homes are in outage.
The long term forecast is low temperatures so the snow is no where near finished.
                                                   Biff

offthegridandy

« Reply #1423 on: March 01, 2018, 03:25:33 PM »

Hi Biff glad to hear your all good.

We've got minus 3 just now. not much snow but it's grey and the wind is up drifting stuff about.

Just done a 60 mile round trip to get 200 litre of heating oil. The main roads are clear but the depot is closed to all trucks over 3.5 tonne and our lane is snow bound.  I got 10 x 20 litre cans of 28 sec oil back and carted them round to the tank and poured them all in with out mishap.

Then found the boiler wouldn't fire as the the fire check valve is frozen down, the last oil through the pipe must have had some watery slush in it.  So outside again for an hr to fit an alternative then back in and got the burners running.

I'm thawing out now and the house can start to warm up again.  We've had oil  on order for a week and when I got up this AM I knew we'd not see a tanker until the middle of next week so thought I'd  best make the effort and get over to the depot whilst it was still possible.

Keep safe all.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1424 on: March 01, 2018, 03:26:49 PM »

Grey and chilly. Stormy night for fast snow and wind. So far flurries of snow nothing settling

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 99 ... 125   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: