navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 ... 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 316782 times)
mr_magicfingers

« Reply #1425 on: March 01, 2018, 03:46:07 PM »

-6 in North Devon and we're just finally getting some snow that's settling. Been a good couple of weeks for solar, being cold and sunny and the ground, which has been sodden since about last May is finally hard and dry for a lovely change. I've just brought in a couple of barrows of logs to fill the stack in the conservatory, both fires are lit, the thermal store is maxed and I've brought the little honda generator into the mudroom with a couple of long extension reels so we're prepared if the power goes out. Might even cook the dinner on the woodburner later, just because I can Cheesy

Solar PV: 6kw (24 x REC 250w), Sunny Boy 3600TL-21, roof facing 178 at 40 slope.
300l Thermal Store, 2 x 3kw immersions via Immersun + Dunsley Yorkshire WBS
Woodwarm Double sided 6kw WBS
7 acres of old woodland I'm slowly bringing back into order.
linesrg

« Reply #1426 on: March 01, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »

mr_magicfingers,

Snowing and blizzarding here at the other end of the country but apparently +4 degrees C, it didn't feel anything like that when I went to the door to see a DPD man making a delivery...........

Regards

Richard

1.28kW on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000 + 1.44kW/ SB3000TL-21 (FIT), 1.28kW/ SB1700 (ROO/FIT). CTC GSi12 heat pump/Ecosol/Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL Solar ET & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.375kW/ SMA SB3600TL-21 and a Sunny Island 4.4M-12 c/w 15.2kWh battery and a Renault Zoe.
heatherhopper

« Reply #1427 on: March 01, 2018, 05:17:35 PM »

Worst little spell we've had since 2012/13. Wind chill at -18c. Wind currently a steady 25-30 mph (east is our only really clean wind direction) so enough to pile up the snow into some nice drifts which will be very picturesque when it all calms down a bit. Not sure how you measure the depth of snow that has fallen when the wind is blowing but I would say we've had enough for now. This is the road drift adjacent to us - about 8ft high and three times as deep I think but it is not easy to see anything out there properly at the moment. There will be similar every 30m or so further down and the road over the top will have simply merged with the fell.
We will not be going anywhere until they send the blower and this road is well down the list so maybe next week - might need milk by then.
The PV has not seen the light of day these past two days and I wouldn't know where to start digging for it. Turbine just soldiers on and everything is full up although we are now going through a fair amount of boiler feed.
The joys of spring Smiley

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1428 on: March 01, 2018, 08:55:10 PM »

Goodness me HH,
                 Thou art in the middle of it without a doubt. Yon is some serious snow.
  We have a slight uphill,100yard drive from the shed to the main road and even with a bad snow in 2012/13 I always found traction and the roads were gritted. So far this time, we have only a light smidgeen of the stuff but the whole area is dark and deserted almost like the Martians have landed and everyone is in hiding.It is just gone 8.15 and the wind is supposed to be going hammer and tongs by now. It will more than likely bring down the net this time. The power lines are all coming down with the weight of the ice. Our government has issued a notice for everyone to stay indoors until 10am tomorrow morning.
 Our Turbine is belting it out and today our PV gave a great return.
    The first day of spring facepalm
                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1429 on: March 02, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »

Just love it Spring in the air facepalm
Blimey HH!
Not a lot of snow a couple of inches, full blown gale last night which was fairly unpleasant.
No cars are moving as the road is solid ice covered with snow.
Out with Elliott , jolly glad of my Swedish bug boots good to -20c with little tungsten spikes for grip. Didn't think I would be wearing them in Wales!   Better grip than a 4x4 collie. Add to this my dad's sheepskin jacket good imitation of a 70's football manager. We climbed to the top of the hill. Spectacular views under a leaden sky.
Making sure the bird feeders are full.
Keep safe and warm

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1430 on: March 02, 2018, 10:13:10 AM »

Grin  Same here Tod,
                     Bracing breezes and a few inches of powdery snow that swirls around the hounds as they sport and play.
  Out roads seem to be nice and clear and it is not as cold,,even if the temperature is showing -4.  There is a hell of a lot of outage about Grin and the power companies are racing about trying to put things right. Out turbine is cruising but out array is locket solid in ice and covered in snow.. in fact the array has the most snow of all a. I will venture forth and get my special extendable array wipe, genuflect .
genuflect. This time I will be more careful ,,last time, I pulled down a large sheet of ice that dropped down on my toes,, garden.
                                                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1431 on: March 03, 2018, 08:12:36 AM »

- 8 this morning,
                   No thaw as yet but not a lot of snow either. It seems as if the few paltry inches that we got, is all that we are due. So far the snow forecasts has been spot on to withing a few snowflakes.
 Our government has decreed that we spend another day indoor and desist from making unnecessary, silly trips into town. So here in New Patagonia, we all bunkered down and waited for the worst.
So far,, "So far"  we seem to have got away with it.
                                  Biff

Westie

« Reply #1432 on: March 03, 2018, 08:49:13 AM »

Well it's not very often I get to 'out weather' Bif so I'll take the opportunity😂

We had 50cm yesterday followed by another 5cm overnight, severe drifting too....

Forecast was for rain today but it's still light snow🙄

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1433 on: March 03, 2018, 11:51:01 AM »

Not a lot you can do with a day like this,
                                       Except walk about and keep warm.
     Up the road

Down the road

and down to the river

It has risen a degree,  but still freezy and breezy
                                                         Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1434 on: March 08, 2018, 08:34:42 AM »

Beautiful bright sunny weather,
                           The hounds, like me were distracted by the loud ruckus that passes for birdsong. I think they were fighting over their back garden fences with some behaving like the neighbors from hell.  The music was loud and not at all pleasant. I did think that maybe Mr Mink was on patrol and maybe he would be the source of alarm.
I am preparing Mr Biff,s little Kia for the NCT. New tires all round Tongue and a good steam wash underneath. The test is not due for another 2 weeks so we have plenty of time.
Hopefully I will get some time to put the final touches on my new 12 volt charger. I have not had much time recently but will post some pics on the same.
It is a lovely project to get involved in. There are so many options and additions and there is no hurry.
                                     Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1435 on: March 08, 2018, 09:44:40 AM »

Same here Biff, good wind, good sun, hydro turbines thawed out and finally we are showering and washing again  bike Been a great spell of weather here just feckin cold, had three outside taps burst but no snow and it's been so dry that there wasn't even ice on the windscreens. Been deer fencing and creosoting this last few days but it's now warm and wet enough for concreting  extrahappy Lost a couple of dozen hens to that unwelcome American import over the years but not seen one for over a year, vicious wee feckers they are, specially when cornered. One of them killed 11 hens one night and when I went into the shed he was sat 'cute as you like' in one of the nesting boxes next to a hen laying an egg  Shocked

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1436 on: March 08, 2018, 02:40:48 PM »

Sunny with occasional heavy showers. Perishing wind . Good to get outside walking with the right kit

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1437 on: March 09, 2018, 08:17:25 AM »

Fantastic sunlight hitting our array
             No rain during the night but my little Ignis, parked next to the shed  was covered in dirty grey ice
  which I thought strainge., 2 to 5mm thick..roof bonnet and windscreen.
 Spring is definitely here.
       Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1438 on: March 16, 2018, 12:35:19 PM »

The Wind driven rain is lashing the south gable,
                                         And everything is wet and miserable. The Hounds hunt in their sleep,,Dogs like their dreams, Mostly. His limbs tremble with exertion and his nails rattle on the flooring as he scrabbles, looking for purchase on the corners. Sometimes a gasp of frustration escapes and we tell him it is Ok as he struggles to get back into it. Her dreams are more intent and she rolls onto her back, 4 feet in the air as the going gets too rough. Sometimes she sleeps so deep that it is difficult to wake her, he heart just bumping slowly along. Our turbine has had very productive days lately. We cannot complain because when it is windy and wet, we get tons of hot water and the stove has very little to do to heat the rads. I may lower it in May for the duration of the summer and do a change of prop and a new tail swivel. It spent part of last summer fighting with the PV and coming off second best until i lowered it.
The whole country goes mad tomorrow. Leo the lad was in the White House with  Pressie Trump. Trump says he loves Ireland. He says that Ireland is a place where he can get things done and then some clown asked him what kind of things and Trump who does not waste his time being modest,,reminded everyone that Leo, some  4 years ago,,when he was just an ordinary TD (MP), Took a call from Mr Trump and was asked to intervene in the installation of a wind farm near his golf course in Co Clare.And guess what,,The wind farm was denied planning. So Leo is now a person of special interest to Pressie Trump but even more so,,to his own party members and Feel and Fail, FF. So Leo the man will enjoy St Pats for all he is worth before he lands home to face the music,,if there is any playing.Trump and he shook hands and congratulated one another warmly. However, Leo Varadkar is still Dr Varadkar and after the talking was done, Trump wanted further discussions but out of sight and away from the cameras and sound people. Trump told Leo that these new latest parabolics can pick up a fleah,s phart from 10 mile away..so without any further prostrations they disappeared from . The examination did not take long and it was all good news for Trump and Ireland. They walked out onto the balcony and viewed the thongs of revelers down below, A massive cheer went up when the first of the parade appeared in the distance, One thousand red bearded identical twins of Conor McGregor in skin tight briefs and full body art, Dancing the Rakes of Mallow, Hip hopping over the telegraph wires and swinging each other, till out of sight without seeming the least bit out of breath. It was totally unbelievable, I myself find it hard to believe.
Then they talked borders and walls and somehow the wires got crossed and Leo modestly declined any argument because the great day was just around the corner..Trump is coming to Ireland and lucky us will be rolling in it for ever and ever till the cows come home , tomorrow night, After that, it is anybody,s guess. It is cold and damp and the forecast for tomorrow is -6 and snow in England. We don,t bother with that silly stuff but all the same it is possible, we might get nostalgic,
    Have a good one good folks,
                              Biff
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 01:03:39 PM by biff » Logged

camillitech

« Reply #1439 on: March 16, 2018, 01:50:37 PM »

Fine breezy day here in The Sound of Mull, no phone reception, TV or radio with just The Biffer to keep me up to speed with the World news. Wife reports full batteries and a warm house, me I am in my wee caravan with the wee dug as a hot water bottle, pure bliss and Im getting paid too  bike

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 ... 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: