navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 ... 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 313103 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1440 on: March 16, 2018, 04:46:17 PM »

Is he back on 4 legs now Paul?
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
camillitech

« Reply #1441 on: March 16, 2018, 06:07:55 PM »

Is he back on 4 legs now Paul?
Stan

Aye Stann,

Wee dug is on 4 when she remembers Grin Vet says I gotta keep her on the lead cos she uses all her legs when walking slow. She was in the cage so long her muscles need building back up but she’s getting there. There are some nice walks along the shore here for an old duffer and a dug with a sore leg   Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1442 on: March 16, 2018, 07:17:39 PM »

You beat me too it Stann,
                                I am glad to hear she is on the med Paul. These wee dugs don,t half pull the heart strings and it is terrible to have to say NO, especially when they dunt you with their head like Angel does.
  Grin
                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1443 on: March 16, 2018, 07:32:56 PM »

Aye Biff,

the 'wee dug' certainly 'pulled at the heart strings' when she was in 'the cage'

but she's well on the mend now.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:34:44 PM by camillitech » Logged

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
offthegridandy

« Reply #1444 on: March 16, 2018, 08:14:45 PM »

Biff; as of your post this Pm
« Reply #1438 on: Today at 12:35:19 PM »

what ever your on I'll have a double please.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1445 on: March 16, 2018, 08:54:07 PM »

Thank you Andy,
          Yee canae beat the good cuppa o Lyons Green Label.
  bike.  Dee Yee see thee footwork only I am on the bike,, I,de b walking.
      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1446 on: March 17, 2018, 07:07:24 AM »

Terrific​ news that the 'wee dug' is well on the mend.
Congratulations for your patience the both of you. Grin

England v Ireland 17 March, St Patrick’s Day, Twickenham
This may be of interest to one of you. A friend of mine has two tickets in a corporate box for England v Ireland 17th Mar. He paid £300 each, but he didn't realise when he bought them months ago that it was going to be the same day as his wedding. If you are interested, he is looking for someone to take his place.
 It's at Marylebone Registry Office, at 4.30pm. The bride's name is Nicole -- she's 5'4", about 8 stone, quite pretty, has her own income and is a really good cook.

Really hoping for a good game!  Don't care who wins.
Hoping that England show some imagination.

Out to walk Elliott before the snow is scheduled.  snow

Mostly going to fall East and North of us stay safe chaps.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1447 on: March 17, 2018, 10:09:56 AM »

A Happy St Pats to each and every one of you,
                                  I sincerely hope the day goes well for everyone. As for rugger, We shared some fantastic nights with Welsh Rugger fans in the Belvedere Hotel in Dublin some 50 years ago, in the days of the Great McGonagall,,the poet. I shared a house with Two Welsh sisters who were rugger mad and would take me everywhere with them. Their uncle was the Bishop of Liverpool so my sanctity was guaranteed to remain undefiled. After every match it was the Belvedere,, then Donehy and Nesbitts,,then back to Rathgar and the poets corner in the bay window,where the stage was a coffee table and introductions were made by pulling apart the massive curtains that spanned the complete bay., More than often, we pulled the curtain back and unintentionally pulled the potential speaker down on top of ourselves but it was straight back up and on with the show. It was a bit like Pompey before the dust landed,
But actual rugger,?  No, not really. It is a bit like watching your best sons go off to the war, You know in your heart and soul that they are going to get hurt,,some so badly damaged by it that they will carry the injuries to the day they die. So I would never dream of playing the game, getting into the ring on a one to one is fine and when my son was being pressurised to join a team by his headmaster, I paid him a visit at his home and told him to lay off. He did and my son traveled the length and breath of the Uk with his ABC club. At least he knew who was targeting him and defend accordingly.
This is just my take on it, maybe I am mean spirited but then I grew up in an environment where it took very little to leave blood on the floor and the wall. It is an astonishing admission but I look back and wonder at the mentality of those that could not care less if we chopped the head of each other with the hurley as long as our team won. And they were evil,,not clever evil but just arrogant, blunt,creepy touchy and lost. They were UK rejects and bundled across the border to us before they could do any more harm in the North. I learned a lot from them. I learned to look and sound truthful while being the opposite. I learned how to talk a lot and say nothing but buying time. In retro, I know now that these base animals of the cloth were prisoners in their own world. The qualities in some of my classmates,,that attracted them and repelled them at the same time left them feeling frustrated and violent towards these unsuspecting victims.
  I would like Ireland to win today, I would like it to be a good honorable match with no bad feelings. I will be down in the shed for the duration of it. Mrs Biff knits at twice the speed of sound during the rugger matches but sometimes her socks could reach the back door.,, so she jokes. Angel has learned to stick her head under her bed blanket and Diese will creep away to a quiet corner and chill out.
  As for St Patrick, I think he was born outside Carlisle near the old A74, (I am not kidding). His trip to Ireland to banish the snakes might have been temporally successful but of course the snakes in question were the same ones that are so prevalent in the cloth these days. There were never any non metaphorical snakes in Ireland at any time. That is my take on it and the great thing about my take is that anyone can pop up and contradict it any time, It is not set in stone.
    Cheers to you all.
                        Biff
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:35:39 AM by biff » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1448 on: March 17, 2018, 11:35:43 AM »

Used to play rugby in my youth just at school stopping at 16, was never that much in love with it,during A levels continued to play cricket but whimped out of winter sport!!
At the risk of sounding a complete old *art, I don't like the modern game. The variety has gone, just heavy weight super fit players all 6 foot plus. When they get a bit tired they get substituted. Nobody wants to see a player with an injury playing on, but the systemic swapping of players is a bore and stops the superior side profiting from a more open game in the last 20 minutes having worn down the opposition. Scrums are no longer contested, why?  banghead banghead banghead I have no doubt the modern players would beat a team of old timers but they would never appreciate the joy of watching a Barry John ghosting through the opposition. Memories that stay in the mind years after the event.
I would love an open game today. May the best side win.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1449 on: March 18, 2018, 07:57:19 AM »

It looks like a beautiful morning out there,
                                          It is 7.15am and the sky is clear and bright. Our array has a veneer of ice on it, it must be well down in the minus. Last night the temperature dropped very suddenly. I kept a half bucket of water next to our front door. We do have an external thermometer but I stopped believing it a few weeks back. However, If it can freeze the water in the bucket right next to the front door, then we best be wary of freezing pipes and keep the stove going. Last night, the water in the bucket was frozen. I have not been out and about yet but I cannae see it thawing immediately. Grin
  The party is over. There will be many a sore head struggling to survive and recover. We tend to go off the rails on the booze in this neck of the woods but I don,t think it is as bad now as it used to be. Years ago, I got a knock on the door following one St Patrick,s night. It was a friend and he was looking the worst for wear. We took him in and tried to get him to eat but all he would take was tea and toast. He had a problem. He could not find his car when he woke up this morning. He could not remember where he left it. Neither could he remember the company he was keeping when he was drinking. So he dearly wanted me to take him and look for his car. I soon discovered  that it was not as simple as you might think. I had to ask people in a certain polite way, "Listen,, did you see where J parked his car last night"  or "  Hi,, Did you see who J loaned his car to last night" Or  "Did you see J last night".. After a good few mile,,I got a response with the 3rd question but only when i stopped on a crooked bridge where people were looking down into a ravine at a maroon Hillman Avenger, that looked suspiciously like J,s. It had crashed through the bridge wall and plunged down into the trees on the side of the ravine and was being supported there. J was quite annoyed. If he could get his hands on the barsteward that did that to his car,,he would wring his neck,,right there on the spot. But it was not that simple. The bridge began to fill up with people and next thing,, some one exclaimed " she was glad that J was safe and not harmed,," " M and S are down in so n so house ", "They are fine"  "Wee Jimmy got the tea and did not stay"  "But you J  ,!  we looked for you everywhere . "We thought you could have been lying in the river down there,."
  She was clearly upset. These folks loved one another to bits and then J asked me,,"what is she trying to say Biff"
  It was a morning just like this one,,bright,,sunny but very cold. I got J into the car and left him home. The Avenger was a total write off, All the doors had popped open when it hit the bridge and when the car landed on the trees, sideways,,the women all slid off the back seat and landed gently on the ground which was a handy few feet below. The area was densely populated with the illegal rhododendrons and that broke their fall. The normally ferocious brambles were at their weakest because of this time of year and they made it back up to the road with very little effort. A large tractor with a winch hauled the Avenger away and a plank was laid across the hole in the bridge wall.
  To this day, J cannot remember how he got to my house which was a good 5 mile away and a good half mile from his own. He never touched alcohol after that. St Patrick was busy that night.
                                 Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1450 on: March 18, 2018, 09:46:52 AM »

terrific story Biff.

Well played Ireland deserved winners.

We have a light dusting of snow and a perishing wind.

Westie

« Reply #1451 on: March 18, 2018, 10:05:39 AM »

Hats off to Ireland, brilliant performance. Best match of the day tho was Italy v Scotland,  wonderful game.

Being Welsh, I have to say I am reveling in a 'schadenfreude' moment after Eddie Jones' dissing  Ireland as 'Scummy' and Wales as a 'Shi*hole',  yet we finish winners and runners up with England languishing fifth stir

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1452 on: March 20, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »

Fantastic weather here at the moment,
    All the wind and solar we want. It was freezing last night and our windscreens were covered with a layer of white furze but easily removed.
  Still the ground was frozen solid, so it must have been at least -2.
                                                Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1453 on: March 25, 2018, 12:00:40 PM »

Beautiful morning here,
                               Happy solar and a little wind. Who could ask for more.
   The hounds are now starting to ignore this early morning bird with the football clicker for song. It started up a few weeks back, really loud. The moment we headed off up the drive, it was almost in our ear.
 I could see nothing but the hounds were looking into the greenery in the bog next door. Perhaps it is raunchy raucous randy singing,,looking for a mate. Good luck to him.
  I will be out with the lawn mower shortly, the new one. i have a 100ft x 6ft wide path to cut across the rear lawn. Mrs Biff and i will be taking some levels after tea and the plan is to dig a trench for the new line to the septic tank (treatment plant). The old line ran parallel to the road to the shed and for some strange reason, i planted apple/pear and cherry trees all along it, The years went by and the roots went down and encircled the pipe,,resulting in blockages becoming more frequent. All in all I need 25 mtrs= approx 82 ft some fine gravel mix a small inspection manhole and a small spade. The quicker I get it done, The quicker I can restore the lawn to normal. I will just leave the old line where it is and switch to the new one when everything is ready to go. You would hardly believe it but years ago,there was good money in such simple jobs. I recall the oldies trying to hold on to their haunching and flaunching skills. i had no such qualms. I would quote by the meter and throw the orange plastic down..It was absolutely brilliant. There was more forgiveness in one 100mtr length of 100mm  orange Wavin than a 10 3ft clay pipes...You could become a wizard overnight. This was 50 years ago.
    tea bacon butties and off we go down the garden with pegs hammer and level..
                              Biff
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:03:51 PM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1454 on: March 29, 2018, 08:41:14 AM »

The hounds were excited,
                             The cold air hugged the ground. The email and PM from alien species had them tracking back and forth across our rear lawn. Up above in the sharp cold air, The geese were getting organised on their journey to Newfoundland, (I think). I am guessing that they rose of Lough Eske, You will see from the pic that they are still getting organised and trying to streamline their V. a few moments after this pic the V had become more defined. Or maybe they take turns to lead like Cycling teams.
 The cold air is ideal for them and they also have the wind in their favour.
  Then in the dying days of March,,
 Jack Frost left me this beautiful design on my car bonnet. The detail is incredibly complex and reminds me of my Mother,s lace workings, a talent her family were famous for. Her family home photo had seen groups of women busy outside in the sunlight, working on lace, resulting in intricate table cloths,,Bedspreads all ironed and folded away in giant drawers in their embroidery room. Yet interest was only aroused when later a relative moved in and stacked the lot on top of a bonfire in the early 80s.
The outrage was palatable and agreeable but the balance weighed towards the future which denied such time to luxuries, They in their time could never have guess the outrage against the modern data thieves. I imagine the conversations would have been romance, farming ,Land  and peppered with profound Burns snippets. " Aye,, tee see yerselles as other,s   .......
 I have attacked the lawn with my new digger. It is extremely easy on fuel, The microwave just delivered a bowl of it, The digger is not Spear and Jackson but some other oriental version, from on the banks of the Whang Dong river in Yangzhou in the Province of Germany (wishfull thinking) It was after all,delivered with a good coat of Hammerite.. It does work really well.
         To a dawning day.
                            Biff
This must have happened suddenly a few hours earlier. It was all gone 30 after i took the pic this morning.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 06:01:24 PM by biff » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 ... 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: