navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 ... 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 302033 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1455 on: March 31, 2018, 08:55:04 AM »

The weather has been kind to me,

The ground is wet and easy dug, My new digger is parked relaxed against the wheelbarrow. Somethings are good for the soul. This trench is one of them. Lumps of bog fir resisted and even the chainsaw found it hard going but reason prevailed.

650kg of ballast and a few bacgs of cement will roll around my mini mixer and the resulting brew will provide good anchorage for the manhole and the pipes. I am hoping to lay the pipes today and have it all up and running this evening. It is a nice little job and gives a certain amount of satisfaction but it also proves to me that my original layout was not that clever after all. Especially when I planted the trees all along the top of the pipe, thinking that the pipes were so far down that the roots would not interfere with them. I could have repaired the old line if I was prepared to chop down the Bramley and the Gala trees but that would be unthinkable, hence my march over the rear lawn. Our tank is in good shape and I will get it pumped our when everything has been sorted.
   Putting the towbar on the little Ignis was a good idea. It is ideally geared for a trailer and such loads are effortless to it.
To the grindstone.
                   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1456 on: April 01, 2018, 08:36:18 AM »

A happy Easter to you all,
          We are having fantastic weather here at the moment, It is cold but very dry and sunny. The forecast is for heavy rain later but at least the kids will have a spell looking for the eggs in the garden.
  Not mine,,certainly my grandchildren, I already have one pic of a Texan with his face covered in chocolate.
                  Remember Chocolate is toxic to our canine friends. My foul drain adventure is going well. I should have been finished today but I mislaid a 110 15 offset and dam,d if I can find it. Angel does run off with the wooden pegs and blocks but she would hardly chew a lump of pipe.? She normally asks..
 Again, A very happy Easter to you all.
                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1457 on: April 03, 2018, 09:37:47 AM »

Rain and more rain,
                      I cannot go near the lawn, It will turn to mud.
 I still have the pipe supports, the fine covering and the back filling to do. It was all going surprisingly well. I ran into a few lumps of bog fir but nothing that my chain saw or axe could not cure. I need some decent weather to do the concreting. If left too long the sides will close in.It will be good to get it done and dusted.

Biff

« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 09:43:21 AM by biff » Logged

camillitech

« Reply #1458 on: April 03, 2018, 11:33:49 AM »

Major concrete project here too Biff,

repairs to an old slipway so as I can launch me boat https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2018/04/02/poking-away/

Perhaps you could give me some advice Biff. I'm mixing two tons at a time using a mix of around 4.5:1 of 20mm 'all in' aggregate from the local quarry and cement. I've used loads of this stuff before (though usually leaner) but I can't seem to stop the stuff sticking to the mixer drum. The first 6 tons was no problem but the last 4 tons has been really sticky. I dunno if it's cos the aggregate is drier or the weather colder or what Biff. The job is going very well once it's out of the drum as I've got a poker but I seem to be leaving about a quarter of the stuff in me wee Belle. What am I doing wrong Biff?

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1459 on: April 03, 2018, 12:50:37 PM »

Hi Paul,
       Generally speaking,,the quarry dust in the chipping gets like putty if allowed to stick to the drum in between batches , So throw in the water which you have measured before hand and a couple of shovelfulls of pure chippings,,let them tumble around the drum for a few minutes and then start loading. The dusts builds up in sticky layers if you just start loading straight away between batches . you can also tilt the little Bell forward to help clean the mouth of the drum,It is essential that the drum be kept spotless.
You are using a lot of sand as well, That weakens the concrete,,even if it is washed.   ,  Try  2 of sand 5 of chippings and one of cement. That is an 7 to i mix and ideal for a working slipway. I wonder what Desp will say. I am sure he has had the same problem with the mix sticking in the drum.
 It is a washout here at the moment, I had a go here this morning but just got washed out of it.
                            Biff
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 12:52:53 PM by biff » Logged

Tinbum

« Reply #1460 on: April 03, 2018, 01:02:43 PM »

Agree with Biff, keep the mixer spotless and add the water first.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
camillitech

« Reply #1461 on: April 03, 2018, 01:11:04 PM »

Hi Paul,
       Generally speaking,,the quarry dust in the chipping gets like putty if allowed to stick to the drum in between batches , So throw in the water which you have measured before hand and a couple of shovelfulls of pure chippings,,let them tumble around the drum for a few minutes and then start loading. The dusts builds up in sticky layers if you just start loading straight away between batches . you can also tilt the little Bell forward to help clean the mouth of the drum,It is essential that the drum be kept spotless.
You are using a lot of sand as well, That weakens the concrete,,even if it is washed.   ,  Try  2 of sand 5 of chippings and one of cement. That is an 7 to i mix and ideal for a working slipway. I wonder what Desp will say. I am sure he has had the same problem with the mix sticking in the drum.
 It is a washout here at the moment, I had a go here this morning but just got washed out of it.
                            Biff

Thanks for that Biff,

I did try tipping the drum forward a wee but and it did help a little, will try your other tips too. Methinks when I did the first three trailer loads the quarry stuff was much wetter but we've no had much in the way of rain here this last fortnight and the stuff is much dustier.

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1462 on: April 04, 2018, 09:29:16 AM »

Yesterday was as miserable a day as I have ever known,
                              It never stopped raining,,even late last night...My filtered fan covers arrived from China and even that only lightened the frustration slightly. The rear lawn is spotted with little mini lakes and even the hounds are barred from walking on it, Getting too may soakings is not a good idea, so perhaps i am getting sensible at last in my young age. The forecast is giving good after today, the buds showed on the Bramley just before the last freeze on Sunday,Hopefully there will be no lasting damage. Our Bramley is one of the best performers in the garden.
   The sun that was struggling to push away the black clouds has given up and the rain is just hanging there waiting for me to open the front door...arrhhhhggghh.. Grin
  But the shed awaits and my new filtered fan covers will look a million dollars on my  time machine. Einstein,s theory on relativity is not a patch on my theory on revelations
    The sun struggles and bright parches chase each other over the bog towards our north gable. I go.
                                                                        Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1463 on: April 06, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »

This morning shows lakes on the rear lawn,
                                    Angel was not happy with the wind growling in the stove downstairs and her on first visit into our bedroom at 2,30am , bumped and nudged me awake, He was asleep, stretched out in the land of nod on the hall floor and if it was Ok with him,,,then it was fine with me,,Turning round to address Angel, there she was asleep on her mat or pretending to be asleep, It was rough outside, trees bending and sheets of water getting thrown at the windows,,bright flashes and I guess somewhere in the distance the rumbling that was annoying Angel. She visited the bedroom again at 5.30am and again nudge, bump and my reply was "Off you go" and the same from Mrs Biff. This morning such water,! There must be flooding locally.
Yesterday was the perfect day, A good breeze to drive the mixer
  I built the shed with it. it is surprisingly reliable and mixes really good mortar for bricklaying and can mix two decent barrowfulls of concrete perbatch,The tipping procedure into the barrow is much better than the Belle. I always had Belle mixers, even when i had the large old Lister maximix. Sold my last Maximix last summer. I found that the belle had problems with mixing semi-dry floor screeding. For that,, you need a mixer that can drop the load from the top of the drum to the bottom instead of just spinning around. The Belle also had a habit of collapsing forward and buckling the drum. The very first Belle mixer that I bought cost £74.00 in 1974. It had the four legged stand and a Briggs and Stratton. However I also bought an east European jobbie from B N Q in a big brown cardboard box, I think they were under £100,00 initially. They were an orange colour. Electric. They were surprisingly good and very versatile. I fitted one to a large 10 x 5 trailer and used it for doing footpaths. It was locked on a rail and safe from theft unless the thieves stole the whole lot..then it came to using it. It slid down to the rear of the trailer and the ballast was fired in from the front and dumped out the back. It was an excellent system. Very quick. The electric version was the best,,even if i had to run my little Honda geni. The one in the picture above has no name on it and obviously comes from Ch In A. A local sold it to me new,for 240 euros. I told him it looked like something out of a lucky bag and we both had a laugh at that..however,,again. it has remained fault free all these years..
   The rain is pelting down out there,,My backfilling will have to wait, I managed to make up some time yesterday without making too big a mess, but i need to get the turf back down before the grass takes root.

The pics may look the same but they are not. The pipes sit on a bed of fine sand, then the concrete supports go in every 3 feet but do not enclose the pipe. then when the supports set, the fine ballast if gently packed around the bottom and sides of the pipe and a final 50mm coat of sand on top of that. The idea is that because the ground here is so soft and spongy and given to constant movement, you cannot have anything too rigid, There has to be room for movement but in such a way that the pipes don,t crack or break.The top pipe pic will be under 300mm of fill when finished and there will be a coat of fine sand around the pipe to protect it.,Our tank is emptied once a year. approx and taken away to be treated. One upon a time it could be spread on the heather but those days are gone. Our percolation beds are blown out at the same time. It is a good system.
 It is still bucketing down out there,, A pie, A cuppa and a jam buttie................and the shed.
                                                                                      Biff

chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #1464 on: April 06, 2018, 02:32:47 PM »

Ah... Mixer Memory Lane...
I have and stiil use a Belle electric, bought 1981 for an ambitious crazy paving project. Can’t for the life of me what drove me to design that, but it was cheaper to buy a mixer than hire for what I correctly guessed would be a bit of a spell.
Among much info on it  there are nuggets like “ gearbox life with oil 3000+hours, without 3 minutes” and, yes, “always put water in first”. It works best jacked up a bit on timber, or it’s inclined to catch on most barrows leading to a couple of seconds of excited wrestling. They don’t mention that.

Your energy is inspirational Biff.

Cheers,
Chas
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1465 on: April 07, 2018, 08:27:30 PM »

Thank you Chas,
          Yesterday all rain, today mostly sun and the breez, It spat rain a few times but only woke me up.
, I got stage one of the New Patagonian main line completed round 2.30pm and after a freshen up,a change of clothes, I dined on a sumptuous chicken and ham pie, some plum jam butties and spent the rest of the day breaking out concrete. My breaker lies silent in the shed and I feel my way around with the hammer and chisel, all for the sake of 40euros of pipes and fitting that i will never use. however there is nothing as unsightly as a pile of broken sewer pipes attached to concrete and i would have to pay to have it all removed. In another few weeks the grass will start to show on the lawn and it should blend in ok. The babies are bored silly. She has sticks to catch, Newts to sniff and stare at and there is home brewed chicken in a pan in the feeding quarters. They get rather friendly and tail/stump waggy even known about the chicken brew. They are spoiled rotten but then they spoil us.
  It has been a nice day, Mrs Biff came back from town with a few packets of  "Aldi Creamy Butterscotch" Lord almighty, they are so addictive, there must be some kind of meths and crack in them.
And,,,for an old d like dotard me,,they are sugar free,,,,aaaaaaaaaaa.
                                                                 Biff

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1466 on: April 07, 2018, 08:42:28 PM »

I'm well impressed with that job there Biff! How did you manage to get the grass colours to match up? With that level of attention to detail, I'd warrant that you are also a champion at wallpapering, and could even hang wood-chip paper so the joints didn't show! The dogs are sat there in awe, wondering at the purpose of digging then filling-in a perfectly good hole that could have been used for bones.
(Be wary of 'sugar-free' products; to me that is like de-caf coffee, or alcohol-free whiskey)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 08:07:14 AM by Nickel2 » Logged

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Westie

« Reply #1467 on: April 07, 2018, 10:52:35 PM »

Thank you Chas,
          Yesterday all rain, today mostly sun and the breez, It spat rain a few times but only woke me up.
, I got stage one of the New Patagonian main line completed round 2.30pm and after a freshen up,a change of clothes, I dined on a sumptuous chicken and ham pie, some plum jam butties and spent the rest of the day breaking out concrete. My breaker lies silent in the shed and I feel my way around with the hammer and chisel, all for the sake of 40euros of pipes and fitting that i will never use. however there is nothing as unsightly as a pile of broken sewer pipes attached to concrete and i would have to pay to have it all removed. In another few weeks the grass will start to show on the lawn and it should blend in ok. The babies are bored silly. She has sticks to catch, Newts to sniff and stare at and there is home brewed chicken in a pan in the feeding quarters. They get rather friendly and tail/stump waggy even known about the chicken brew. They are spoiled rotten but then they spoil us.
  It has been a nice day, Mrs Biff came back from town with a few packets of  "Aldi Creamy Butterscotch" Lord almighty, they are so addictive, there must be some kind of meths and crack in them.
And,,,for an old d like dotard me,,they are sugar free,,,,aaaaaaaaaaa.
                                                                 Biff

Take it easy on the Aldi sugar free sweets Bif, they contain a sweetener called acesulfame-k which have unfortunate affects if you binge on them, I won't go into detail but it may be a good way of testing your new pipework  sh*tfan

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
camillitech

« Reply #1468 on: April 08, 2018, 06:20:46 AM »

Aye Biff,

I found that the belle had problems with mixing semi-dry floor screeding. For that,, you need a mixer that can drop the load from the top of the drum to the bottom instead of just spinning around. The Belle also had a habit of collapsing forward and buckling the drum.

Agree with the above, my drum is kept spotless and still the mix sticks to it if you're doing a strong dry one, and yes, much, much better using a small quiet genny on and electric mixer for sure. Amazing just how frugal they are though when I did the turbine base I mixed some 6 or 8 cube up at the house without ever having to start the genny. Never had any problems with that whole batch as it wasn't so dry, just needed to fill a hole really. Got 6.5 cube of 30 Newton in a batching truck to finish off.

Would have got it all done with the batching truck but he can only bring a 'half load' up to our house and that was best part of a grand  Shocked

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1469 on: April 08, 2018, 10:21:00 AM »

Morning everyone,!
                 A bright fresh sunny morning it is. The sun is going to be cracking rocks at noon and with a little but of luck. i will have my lecky lawn mower out, murdering the rest of the rushes on our rear lawn.
  A good question N2,
 I worked the first cut to the line with the spade to one side of the first 60ft and then put a plank to act as a spacer that gave me room for the full Width/depth of the spade + a inch for the sides closing in, It was barely enough. Then as the turfs were cut and lifted out, i arranged them on the back of the lawn covers in the same order so as to replace then exactly as they came out. It only takes a few minutes more but replacing them is much much quicker. It is warm today and a daffy that was in a turf relaid yesterday morning, is now in full bloom. My main aim was not to disturb the Bramley and hopefully I have succeeded in doing that. I did reach over with the forklift tines and lift out a giant dogrose that used to grow up through the Bramley. I might just regret that because it protected the Bramley during the storms. However I had no choice, i had to get down to the tank. The early buds seem to have been stifled by the hard freeze but I have seen that happen before and everything was normal enough with a bumper crop later on.
   Hi Westie,
 I had no idea that the super duper butterscotch could inflict such hardship on my new pipework,,however we seem to have survived apart from some very musical flatulencing sessions shortly before going to bed. They were luckily harmless and being a simple souls of simple means, we found them both wonderous and alarming.
 Good luck with the work Paul,
           It is nice to get it delivered and you are all prepared and ready. Weirdly,,I used to always think I had forgotten something,,,,Like washing out the mixer after all that concreting  hysteria. Such relief to get it all done to plan, yet hunting about for something to clean down like screeds,,shovels,etc. For all the years I was on the game, i would check plans and go back to the job before it had set, checking to see,,before it had all set. Years ago, concrete was very very permanent. Nowaday, they can cut through it like butter.
                                                                Biff

« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 10:23:00 AM by biff » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 ... 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: