navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 ... 120   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 294563 times)
daveluck_uk

« Reply #1620 on: October 29, 2018, 07:47:11 PM »

Hope there's a pin to hold the hoist up should a hydraulic leak happen.

Or does it lift via a rotating screw?

Price?

As with pretty much all hydraulic lifts these days it engages on pawls on the way up and a lever has to be physically held (that red knob) to let it down. Methinks about 1700 + VAT. Single phase and runs fine off the inverter, though you can buy a 24v model for a few quid extra.

Very nice - do you have a link you can share please?
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1621 on: October 29, 2018, 07:54:24 PM »

I like your lift Paul,
                      Its beats the forklift with the extensions on the tynes. Grin..
  A friend of mine has a multiple sissor vehicle lift that takes 3 ton but one look at it ,terrifies me. There are too many connections and moving parts.
      It must be a night mare to maintain and cannot be legal.
            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1622 on: October 29, 2018, 08:12:08 PM »

Hope there's a pin to hold the hoist up should a hydraulic leak happen.

Or does it lift via a rotating screw?

Price?

As with pretty much all hydraulic lifts these days it engages on pawls on the way up and a lever has to be physically held (that red knob) to let it down. Methinks about 1700 + VAT. Single phase and runs fine off the inverter, though you can buy a 24v model for a few quid extra.

Very nice - do you have a link you can share please?

Got it from Sam at https://www.sjrgarageequipment.co.uk/single-post-vehicle-lifts/ Spoke to a guy selling one on eBlag second hand first. Told him I was VAT registered so wouldn't be buying his but asked him what he thought. He said he'd had it for a couple of years for a classic car rebuild and was well impressed. Also said it lifts a Range Rover no bother. His sold for 1100 with only one bid.

Been considering a two post lift for a few years now as you can get one for less than 1k new but this takes up so much less room and is movable.

And definitely better than the forklift extensions Biff, though I'd swap it any day for the telehandler, I do miss the telehandler  Cry

Even more versatile  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1623 on: October 30, 2018, 05:20:46 PM »

Starting to freeze again outside,
                                       Still clear air, Nice walking weather or working weather. I cut a slew of logs today, Nice meathy 170mm x 80mm planed  facepalm. I hate destroying good timber but the place would be all choc a block if I did not and it,s an odd size, perhaps a 100ft or so in 4ft and 6ft lengths.
 The weather has made Freda very friendly and after 3 good solid meals, I thought she would have had enough, yet about 4,30 just coming on dark and the temperature dropping as the sun was going down, She followed me around the back of the house and i gave her another meal on the window ledge, albeit a smaller one.
      You can tell by the way that she plants her feet on the cill that she is quite cocky and bossy. Mrs Biff has just come back from walking Angel and fed her again at the front of the house after Freda tried follow her in the front door,  She is well plumped out now and ready for the cold snap. Angel is quite indifferent to her. It is almost dark out there with freezing fog appearing out of nowhere.
    We have lots of new birds now, blackbirds, Thrushes loads of tiny ones. This place is like an oasis but a deadly one all the same when the Hawks regards it as their larder. They must be on holidays. It is 10 weeks to Christmas so you can all relax, Plenty of time to fill the stockings.
                                                              Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1624 on: November 04, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »

We are having plenty of wind lately,
                                      Mrs Biff said it was very bad about 4am and it is just beginning to settle down now. The place is plagued with leaves whirrling about  .,, previously dried hard and then taking to the air, powered by mini cyclones, We have had days of the wind gusting in every direction. The shed rattles and groans. the steel creaks and strains on the bolts..
  Angel and I spend golden times working on my 12volt charger. She chews on a 3 x 2, pulling strips of it and stacking them to one side. This requires study and dexterity and of course a certain amount of power in the jaw, Grin. We both agree that Freda is one deep little bird.
 I decided that I was no longer happy with only 600watts on my 12volt charger. I placed it up on the bench and got working on it, stripping out the wind tunnel that housed the alternator and of course the fans assembly. It is looking pretty bare at the moment. I also had a 165mm pulley fitted to a 105amp alternator. I have a 60mm pully to fit to the Engine shaft so the engine will have to go to the engineering works for a few hours. I will post pics of the same.
   This is not just about generating electricity but also getting the max amount of fossil fuel return on the sweet spot for both the ease of engine performance and economy. Direct drive sounded very very good in my original thinkings but the reality was very different. with anything over 500watt the engine struggled because it was geared too high. Having built a similar diesel version I know the value of selecting the right ratio to suit the required power and CCs available.. Gearing down with pulley and belt is the only way forward. A bigger engine would defeat the whole idea of economy.
  The garden has at least 6 or 7 blackbirds, thrushes and small birds of all sorts. They seem to be doing very well because they are quite noisy and do a lot of running about. Freda,s ability to communicate gets better by the day. It,s odd but large Sycamore leaves mimic her flight, or vice versa but there is no mystery there. The things you learn from a Robin.
                                              Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1625 on: November 04, 2018, 12:08:40 PM »

Well, I'm not saying it was wet and windy here but on Friday morning I parked by a pristine pallet load of briquettes at Sconser.

Kinda like that but with holes through.

On Saturday morning after an evenings power washing they were in a pretty sorry state and that was them 'shrink wrapped' too  Shocked

I got off lightly right enough with just a 're parked' trailer.

And that was it with chocks under the wheels and washing machine in the back  Grin

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1626 on: November 11, 2018, 05:49:08 PM »

Strewth, Out of one storm and into another,
                                           I must insist they improve these forecasts and give us better weather, A bit like a very distant relation many years ago. the oil light was flashing on his 1300 Crossflow Ford Cortina Mk2. After arriving down at the garage he was told that perhaps a new oil light switch on the side of the block and an oil change might improve the life expectancy of the engine and put the light out.
  The new oil was poured in , The new switch fitted and a gentle rev of the engine only made the light glow brighter and rattle the small ends and big ends alike. There was a lot going on inside there ,a bit like today,s politics,,anything could happen. He took out the new switch/ replaced the old one and took off down the road. He was back the following week to see if his tractor was fixed and still driving the Cortina. Even I could hear the knocking, But a quick glance inside at the dash revealed no light at all.  Wow i thought, Now there was an improvement. I thought it might have been 2 bottles of STP, Now that has worked now and then. STP was 6 quid a bottle back them and this guy would not part with a red cent.The mystery deepened. A few days later the engine lay down,, sized solid. pulling a trailer loaded with sheep for the mart. We got the news with some head shaking and nodding and then we heard that he has lifted out the clocks in the dash and removed the bulb from the oil light. The Mystery was no more.
Some years previously he had proved his worth as a mechanic when he bought a nice Major and drove it home. The Major was perfect in every detail he said but he could hear a slight knock in the engine. Rather than let some clown make a mess of his new Major He ordered new pistons and rings..  New gudgins or wrist pins, He had the shaft examined and was delighted to learn that it was perfect.
  The neighbors gathered round and looked on in wonder. All was not perfect. He was having trouble getting the proper wrist pins. He had arguments with Ford Tractor parts suppliers and in the end he decided that they were all a bunch of ignorant clowns.Out came the wet emery and each evening after a bit of farming he would tackle a gudgin or wrist pin at the dining table,,sanding rubbing and rubbing until,they slid neatly through the hole in the piston. It was a big job. Then he screwed the lot together and the big day arrived,The Sims pump had a new diaphragm and the Major started with the first press of the lever. The neighbors congratulated him but a few minutes later, not long maybe 4 minutes at the most, the knocking started and gradually grew unbearable till he shut the engine down. The neighbors melted into the stonework., lanes and fields. He was left on his own..The Major sat in the field for a good 18 months and then a foreigner from Cavan came and took it away on a dolly.
He took up Golf after that and was good enough to be asked to join a team who were so hard up and prepared to tolerate his condescending ways. In fact he became a kind of hustler on the course. Ever since way back then , I have always been deeply suspicious of the game of Golf.
So I think I will not complain about the forecasts after all.
                                         Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1627 on: November 11, 2018, 06:49:58 PM »

A clown indeed Biff, there were nowt wrong with his pins on that 4D engine they were matched to the piston and pressed onto the conrod with a hydraulic press so no need for a circlip in the piston or little end bush. No wonder it rattled  Roll Eyes

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1628 on: November 11, 2018, 07:52:03 PM »

True Paul,
             He is long gone now and in a place where Tractors, Cars and Golf would not find the space but he would have plenty of company to argue with. hysteria.
     He should not have died that young because he was out in all weather whacking the ball all round the golf course perfecting his stroke. He neither drank nor smoked.
  He died of a massive heart attack at 44. Him the picture of health.
                                                             Biff.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1629 on: November 14, 2018, 08:57:09 PM »

Strong wind and rain driving from the South,
                                    But good hot water and plenty of lecky, Grin. Life has been quite busy lately. Action in the shed of dreams is very limited, I am at a stage where I can get a good result in about 4 hours but I cannot find 30 minutes to sit and screw at it. My little Suzuki went through the NCT today, It needed some light welding on the rear inner cills. The chassis is good but the spot where the mud build up in front of the rear wheels seemed to degrade too quickly. So an oil change, a cill, 2 tires a set of new wiper blades and a 55euro fee for the test left me a little short of 400 euros all in.
   The last two tests only cost the price of the test but it has seen some hard work this year and it has done really well working with the trailer drawing timber and ballast mix for the concreting as well as moving loads of soil and batteries. It has been extremely reliable. It is not going to win any land speed records but it can draw a ton quite easily with no revving and horsing about. It is geared very low with 40mph @ 2000rpm and 60 @ 3,000rpm. OOoo its painful if you are in a hurry but very good for shifting heavy stuff on the trailer on bad roads.
   Mrs Biff swerved to avoid and oncoming car and took the side out of her little diesel Rio. It was quite heartbreaking to part with it but the insurance wrote it off and paid her more for it than she would have got selling it privately in good pre crash condition. The Kia Rio is a really good car,,good to drive hard and good for economy. In all the 8 years we had it, it gave no trouble at all and was 100% reliable in all weather.  So we popped out and bought a little runabout  A 2005 Sirion with a genuine full history and under 40 thou on the clock. We took it south to Sligo on Monday and it,s economy is excellent on petrol. supposed to be 62 to the gallon on its 3 cylinder 1ltr engine. It sings along happily at 60mph and is very well equipped for such a small car. Mrs Biff is very pleased with it, which is everything.
  We will miss the Kia and it,s long legged stride, 60mph @ 2000rpm, among one of the quickest accelerations from 50mph to 80 mph of any car I ever drove and i had some quick movers. It was only a 1.5 diesel turbo but goodness the pep over 50 was amazing. When it went off on the breakdown wagon, the marks where the skip,s chain lugs ripped along the side of the car were horrible . The lugs ripped the door panels open like a can opener. starting at the front wing and going right to the back of the car. Full skips have no respect. This kind of thing rarely happens to us but we have to accept it and just get on with it. The insurance company were brilliant  and the insurance on the Sirion is a lot cheaper as well.
   So with the Suzuki tested for another year and Mrs Biff happily motoring once again in her little Sirion, I will have more time to wrap up and take Angel down to the shed of dreams and get this charger up and running, then see what it will do. I am hoping for a nice effortless 1.5kw. I have a heavier 1800watt inverter if needed...
                                      Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1630 on: November 15, 2018, 06:24:32 PM »

A good blast here today chaps, cannae wait to get home and read my kWh meter.

Methinks Donald was pretty glad to get tied up today, this blast wasn't forecast, fresh aye but not the Force 9 gusting 11 that arrived.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1631 on: November 15, 2018, 07:22:45 PM »

Jeepers,
         That's riskay. Big load of nets has shifted . Been there worn the tea shirt ( and the underpants ). You are right. He must have been indeed glad to  get tied up.
         Biff
  Been very stormy  here all day with torrential  rain and flooding.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 07:24:35 PM by biff » Logged

offthegridandy

« Reply #1632 on: November 15, 2018, 09:29:05 PM »

Wonder what sort of catch wee Donald had? Looks quire exciting Paul.

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
camillitech

« Reply #1633 on: November 15, 2018, 10:06:04 PM »

Wonder what sort of catch wee Donald had? Looks quire exciting Paul.

Far too exciting for us in the BIG boat Andy, we stayed firmly tied to Scotland through the worst of it. Gusts of 60 knots on the ferry but only 50 MPH at home and 59kWh of leccy from the small Proven. Big one doesn't have a meter but it must have been at least double.

Donald mainly trawls for prawns but puts out creels for velvet crab too when the price/time is right, the prices rocket towards Christmas.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1634 on: November 16, 2018, 10:16:36 PM »

Quite serious wind tonight again,
                        Cold weather forecast but today seemed warm enough. Out Y/S Turbine is pumping the amps steady day after day.There are occasional spouts of PV brilliance but as Christmas approaches they become fewer and farther between. We still get a good 400watts continuous daily in the dull light but it is the Turbine that does the business this time of year.The new mounting bracket foe the 12v charger are complete and the whole lot is ready to rewire once again. The rough weather plays havoc with Freda,s visit. She hates the winds and it makes her uptight. We have seen very little of her today and her cheese lies untouched in the shed. The calm that follows the gales show Freda as a frisky friendly and trusting little bird but the wind changes all that. I assume that when the gales keep blowing ,she goes hungry.Christmas is creeping up on us, just 5 weeks away.
  I quite like Mrs Biff,s little Sirion. There is a 1.3 version which i might consider next year to replace the Ignis. We will not be going looking at Diesels again. the Rio was the best car we had to date. the most reliable and the most economic as well as the best gyp between 50 and 80mph, We did well from it but it will be petrol or Hybrid from now on. Diesel are quite cheap to buy at the moment. How times have changed.
             Biff

Pages: 1 ... 105 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 113 ... 120   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: