navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 [121] 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 312182 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1800 on: September 15, 2019, 11:02:26 AM »

We had a few good weeks weather,
                                       Then things got difficult, Storms, Rain, flooding, etc, The lawn has not been mowed since and lush green swards await cutting. Our Bramley thrived with a bumper crop, The other apples have done well also, We managed a few jars of plums and for a short while I thought we might have clawed back some kilos but the rain came one hot afternoon ,ice cold ,dropping on the hot plums and that evening as I walked the hound, i was dismayed to look up into the tree and see the plums burst right round, almost turned outside in. perfect for eating but not in the dark. The following day the wasps and the birds owned the tree.
    This has been a very unsettled windy summer, with the various hurricanes giving us a sample of their tail end power. A few force 8s but nothing dramatic. Great water heating and house heat also.
 Out harvest fair has been and gone before i even remembered.I sold my Ebike to a happy lad and somehow I feel sad but wobbling along the road is no longer for me.
 My latest project has been slow. I have set about cutting down the weight and size. Using new methods and new ideas. God loves a trier. There has been so many other things to do and the shed is a draughty stand in the storms. The forecast is for improvement. I have a stretch of concreting to do and this might be my last chance before the winter sets in.
  Our turbine is doing well, steady and sure. occasionally we have had to light the stove in the dull foggy airless days but generally we rise in the morning to tanks of hot water and the house is never chill.
 Reports of more rises in electricity prices faze us not. Soon it will be Halloween and then Christmas.. fume.
                                                  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1801 on: September 15, 2019, 09:55:34 PM »

Our plum and damsons all had a very good year.......too good for them. They are young trees at 3 or 4 years. A month ago the plum started breaking branches under the load. I hastily knocked out some wooden struts to help take the load on the plum and one damson. This week we have cleared the plum and made inroads on the damsons but there are literally thousands of fruit. The wife has been making chutney all day to get rid of some.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1802 on: October 02, 2019, 11:31:15 AM »

Nobody is quite sure which way Lorenzo will track,
                                     The latest news is that 6 counties from Mayo down to Cork will bear the brunt. This came in 30 minutes ago.
 Our Turbine has been down since dinnertime yesterday a little early but better safe than sorry. once I heard that it was picking up speed, I did not dally. It takes just 3 minutes to lower our Turbine in the calm. I went off the idea od lowering in windy weather. The excitement was too much of a buzz.
  The problem with Lorenzo is that he is new and comes at a time when the trees are full leaf and the ground is at saturation point. So anyone with loads of leafy trees needs to be extra careful and park the family banger well out of reach of the falling trees and branches. Lorenzo could be a 3 day affair so it would be a good idea to grab the extra pint of milk, loaf of bread and stock up on logs for the stove.
    If you live in an area  that sometimes gets flooded, you can put weights over the manhole covers. bags of ballast or concrete blocks., It is best to be as prepared as you can and weight everything down.
  We are in the lee of the Bluestacks and the wind is shouldered up and passes high over us, creating a vortex that sucks up anything that is loose.
  One year I had a pallet of blocks at the corner of the shed, Two rounds of 44. I had a half sheet of play placed flat over the top to keep them dry. Before the storm came I placed to 18" blocks flat on top of the half sheet to keep the sheet in place during the storm. When the storm was over the newly built shed was fine but the half sheet of ply was missing with the two blocks. I fount them in the field next door with one block still on the ply  and the other lying next to the ply. The lot had traveled a minimum of 30 linear feet. The wind back then was forecast a 70 to 80 mph. The only other casualties were a end ridge tile and a set of rectifiers on an Aelous 300. That was a 3 day storm.
     As we already know, flooding is going to be a serious problem. We also know that every little helps and preparations in advance can help lessen the damage. There is nothing definite about Lorenzo and tracking forecasts for the UK are just loose guesswork but definite reliable forecasts should be available withing the next few hours.
 I suspect that the big worry is that Lorenzo could join up with other storms in the area and if the timing was right, increase in speed not decrease.
    Good luck good folks and stay safe.,
                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Moxi

« Reply #1803 on: October 02, 2019, 11:52:03 AM »

Morning Biff,

Its so calm and clear here in North wales that I can see the Wicklow mountains on the horizon over Caernarfon bay,  according to Ventusky weather pages Lorenzo will pass to the west of Ireland with 25mph winds across most of the West coast of Ireland (10m above ground) gusting to 50mph.  I hope this stays the case as it will spare many people and the environment too much damage and disruption but its moving so very slowly and it only needs to move its path slightly for the case to change dramatically.

We have our fingers firmly crossed here and hope everyone remains safe.

Moxi
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1804 on: October 02, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »

That sounds good Moxi,
        But keeping a beady eye on things. These weather men and ladies are all very worried and there is a special government task force assigned the task of worrying  extra hard.
  With that in mind, Lorenzo  would be foolish to even dream of coming  near us.
 Still t,is early yet.. I could be made to eat my words.. snow freeze winter hopefully  no.
          Biff.
  Just in from the BBC  winds on the Irish west coast  70 to 80mph.    facepalm
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 02:29:13 PM by biff » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1805 on: October 02, 2019, 02:46:13 PM »

Stay safe chaps

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1806 on: October 03, 2019, 07:47:02 AM »

5.15am saw me out and about playing with ropes , concrete blocks and bags of ballast. It was calm and silent. The hound sniffed and investigated while I did my final checks before Lorenzo arrived.
7am saw an orange red sky streaked with dark blue and 7.10 am the Sky reverted to its slate grey.
     Our weather forecasters are debating  whether or not to upgrade the coming storm to red as opposed to Amber.
Well it is supposed to be true about them rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. I can understand that.  Ahh says he, it will get worser  and worser and worser even again.
  There is wood for the stove, a full larder, and a seat by the fire . Who could ask for more.
        Biff

Moxi

« Reply #1807 on: October 03, 2019, 02:44:56 PM »

Hi Biff,

Hope things are holding up well with you, I see gusts of 50+mph for your area at present and little let up until around 7pm tonight, interestingly it looks like Larenzo more or less finishes his rampage right over your part of the world as he loses strength to the massive depression just off Greenland on Friday.

Moxi

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1808 on: October 03, 2019, 11:49:22 PM »

Aye Moxi
       That would be about right. I have just been out with the hound and it is well settled but not quite yet. We have an incredible  amount  of rain due tonight and tomorrow.
So far so good,  fingers crossed!
        Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1809 on: October 04, 2019, 08:36:49 AM »

We seem to have escaped the worst of it and I don't  think we had anything in excess of blustery force 6. We even had decent breaks between the downpours.
    They are talking now about a sting in the tail and for surfers to take the day off.
  I am truly grateful  that we got off so light but those charts that they were putting out on the news and on the net were so bad that  Mrs Biff  and myself were learning a few words in Islandic such would be the power of the storm, we could have been blown there..
 Alls well that ends well.
        Biff

Moxi

« Reply #1810 on: October 04, 2019, 09:25:02 AM »

Morning Biff,

Glad to hear things worked out for you, the West coast of Ireland seems to be seeing 65mph + gusts at the moment and over on the West Coast of Wales we are getting the rain from Lorenzo, forecasts suggest 13mm or so over the next three hours with 5mm of that in the next hour -  a quick glance outside suggests they may be quite right!

Here in the cottage the log fire is burning nicely here, my youngest son, I can hear, is playing with his toys whilst the wife sits on the settee with strict instructions NOT to go in to labour just at the moment as the roads and the weather are not best suited to a dash to the delivery suite at Bangor just now - typical that today is the due date  Roll Eyes

Moxi Smiley
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1811 on: October 04, 2019, 03:06:11 PM »

Jeepers Moxi,
  That's a tough situation. Hopefully everything  calms down before baby arrived. I recall the birth of my youngest girl. My X wanted me to welcome her into the world at the birth. I thought it was a great idea but when the time came to actually welcome her into the world. I chickened out and ran for my life. Out into the corridor and sat on this armchair type of seat which was completely shot and wobbled all over on the point of collapse. A bit like myself. In the distance I could hear my youngest bawling her head off  ,,(  she has an excellent singing voice) so I knew that everything  was good. .
   Funny old world. They grow up so quickly and you have to listen to them telling their kids. THIS IS WHA.T I HAD TO PUT UP WITH.. nodding at me and I see the sly smile on  my daughter,s son,s faces
 Then I  note the cute sneaky look about them, it's like looking in the mirror, They are charming rascals. In to everything. I sit and keep quiet wondering how I could have been so lucky.. Time is not constant. Don't  listen to anyone who tells you that time is constant. One moment you are worrying about the imminent  new arrival and next  thing you are a grandad long ago with  internet whizzkid grandkids ,Showing you their latest videos  etc..
  Everything inbetween seems insignificant but of course it's not. Humour  is the big one. The ability to say sorry even when  you are right..God but I sound like a saint but the opposite would be nearer the truth.
 Kids change your whole perspective on life. That's  the truest words I ever said.
       Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1812 on: October 04, 2019, 03:42:57 PM »

My Dad was watching Charlton Athletic play football when I was born, sent there by my Mum !
Different world then. Grin

All best wishes Moxi

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
Moxi

« Reply #1813 on: October 05, 2019, 07:41:06 PM »

Cheers chaps, as is the nature of these things we are still patiently waiting for baby to make his appearance thankfully the weather round and about has moderated nicely. 

Biff you are so right children do change your life. This will be my sixth child, five boys and a much doted upon daughter, they along with my wife are everything I could wish for and I truly am a lucky man to have such good fortune😀

I will let you know when there is news.

Moxi
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1814 on: October 07, 2019, 06:00:42 PM »

We had gale force winds all night. Today it is a steady force 6 to 7 with big gusts. Rain was forecast for the whole country but we escaped so far with a few short heavy showers. We have been very lucky with Lorenzo and today's gales are much stronger than those that Lorenzo delivered.
 Our Bramley have turned out very well and we have excellent  eating apples. The soothsayers, sheanachies, witchdoctors and medicine-men are all once again warning about the approaching winter, it is going g to be the worst winter for 30 years. Every year the story is always the same.
  We will have visitors for Halloween, excited young men running about in the dark, with torches,  looking for our bats. Board games. Piano playing, songs. The Bluestack air knocks them out. Then they are gone. The house is empty and MrsBiff and I will take a few days to recover.
My own Halloween  Hols were usually spent in Sam Hanna-Bell country. Heavy Scots accents versed the price of cattle and interrogated  me on Donegal. Were the spuds really that big up there in the hills ?  All farmers,  tied to the land, slaves to Cattle and Grain. All dead and gone, their majors, Nutfields and combines probably in some museum, I wonder how my Grandkids will remember it all.
I am cursed with a memory that remembers a song along with the company, and the smells from the time, Certain songs smell of hair Laqure and chewing gum. Others of the white flake that the put on the dance floor.  Others of cigar smoke and raw whiskey.
      The days are really getting shorter, I have weeds to kill and spring/Autumn cleaning to do.
  Roll on the Spring
           Biff

Pages: 1 ... 117 118 119 120 [121] 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: