navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 357740 times)
ecogeorge

Forest of Dean -Gloucestershire

« Reply #1875 on: March 13, 2020, 05:49:47 PM »

We all need a little pick me up in these troubled times ......
We all need to be a little healthier , and after a dry  week ,and  3lbs lighter , i have just opened a bottle of home brew  stout and an Aldi Shiraz awaits.......
A weekend of logs and allottment awaits ....... bliss .....
George
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1876 on: March 23, 2020, 09:41:06 AM »

Silence is golden,
                 That,s what they say, So my eyes can see, This morning, as I opened the gates at the top of the driveway , I could see that the traffic was non existent, no noise, my Phonacks revealed the still silent clear air, Even the songbirds are lying low. The contrary Freda is missing but she will turn up in time. The dry driveway gravel crunches underfoot, I stand still, a lone engine hums in the distance. The school at the top of the hill 300yds away is closed,
 The local shops compete to deliver. Masked drivers deliver and wave goodbye. We take it very serious up here. There are some grumblings about holiday makers moving into their holiday homes in the various Donegal communities. The fear is that they will bring the virus with them but I don,t know how we can answer that one. Everything has suddenly changed. You cannot get a driving test. A MOT or even go to a public office to meet an official.There is no point in advertising something for sale because you do not want strangers on your street and You cannot take their money. wackoold.
  We are pretty well organised, I split my time between Der Shed and the house. I am doing some plumbing alterations and redesigning a boiler which I have used for over 2 years. Der Shed is getting warmer., so I have done some small jobs like stripping out the front brake calipers on my car and freeing them to work properly. Mrs Biff suffers. Her shop is closed and she misses the interaction with folks. I miss my visits to the local engineering works. But we have projects and plans, so that is positive and productive.
      We had brilliant sunshine yesterday, The wind blew in from the Atlantic, It was different, I am not imagining this but it was different. Don,t ask me how the wind could be made cleaner after a 3,000 mile trip across the water but for some crazy reason, it felt and smelled that way to me but I may have got the wind direction wrong, That would make sense.
   I have redesigned a small Lifan 152f / valeo 180amp alternator combination to sit on a battery/inverter box. I will post pics of this if anyone is interested,? It is a really satisfying project.
                             Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Tinbum

« Reply #1877 on: March 23, 2020, 10:46:56 AM »

Sadly our road was really busy as everyone went to the coast. It's still busy today but is quieter on a night.

We have relatives that went out shopping and to the coast over the weekend and they have been 'told off' by the rest of the family.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1878 on: March 23, 2020, 01:53:31 PM »

The THING has not changed my dog-walking routine as I rarely see anyone at all on the cross-country route. At around 8am I stumble to the farm to collect 3 of the 6 collie nutters. For a couple of minutes its like a jail riot with all the barking and Tan tossing her stainless food bowl in the air repeatedly. Then were off, downhill to follow the brook. What has changed is that after 6 months the rain has stopped and the ground is drying fast. It was soul-destroying to have to walk funny through waterlogged pasture and always end up with sludge on my knees and in my wellies.
What I do differently now is to wear gloves when handling the dog cages and the catches on stiles, gates etc to reduce the risk of transmission.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1879 on: April 08, 2020, 12:31:09 PM »

From Mrs T

This is bizarre!
How smart is Your Right Foot? ?
Just try this. It is from an orthopedic Surgeon............
This will boggle your mind and you will keep trying over and over again to see if you can outsmart your foot, but you can't.
It's preprogrammed in your Brain!

1. WITHOUT anyone watching you and while sitting where you are at your desk in front of your computer, lift your right foot off the floor and make clockwise circles.

2. Now, while doing this, draw the number "6" in the air with your right hand.
Your foot will change direction.

I told you so!!!

Kidwelly South Wales
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1880 on: April 08, 2020, 01:03:16 PM »

Yup and slurped my tea!

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1881 on: April 08, 2020, 03:34:31 PM »

Yup, even with 2 titanium hips
  My eyes shut tight and half a dozen 6s committed to memory, the 6 ends up back to front if my right foot can keep circling clockwise.
  A bit  unfair,  but good to know I am not alone and moved my mug of tea out of the road.. Grin
     Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1882 on: April 09, 2020, 02:18:39 PM »

What a fabulous morning. Gin clear.
The hatchlings are early this year

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1883 on: April 09, 2020, 03:02:11 PM »

Wow Tod
         That's fantastic, a real cute little fellar.
 Our Batty has not showed yet, we have over a dozen bat boxes next door. Maybe it is colder here.
        Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1884 on: April 10, 2020, 12:58:30 PM »

There is a cool breeze,
          An Ivory sun, a silence hangs still to let the birdsong be heard from all over. Days like this as a gasur,  I remember the wind on the telegraph wire strung on crazy angled poles along the bog roads. On certain raised stretches, the wires hummed louder. The sounds dropped away at the approach of distance traffic. I am not so sure that I would welcome back those times . In truth , I would rather live in the present times but much much better managed. We have an excellent chance to live better lives and value our neighbours by demonstrating our help and value to them.
  Our Turbine is a great friend,  and has seen us through many winters but the PV is the Bee,s Knee,s and so easy managed.
 Our lockdown has gone to plan but of course there are many places I remembered that I could go, to purchase things that I don't  need. One can have great rewarding debates with one,s self during lockdown. Today is not a day for "Take your  Pick" today I rest and after a selection of Denny,s bacon butties, I will stroll to Der Shed and rootle and futter  to my heart,s content.   "Man is lucky only when he knows he is Lucky"   From the wondrous  quote of Biff the Bogman, psalm 4,  gate 5 and the first sharp turn right after Paddy,s bar.
 Stay safe everybody.
         Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1885 on: April 10, 2020, 01:57:16 PM »

After a slow start there are more queen bumble bees about. I love em. They do tend to bumble into my shed or the glasshouse, which can both be a death trap. So, on hearing the buzz its open a window and, if necessary, grab the dustpan and soft brush to help them out.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1886 on: April 11, 2020, 11:53:34 AM »

Do they sting,  Stan ?
I have always caught them in cupped hands, am I an idiot? tumble facepalm

Kidwelly South Wales
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1887 on: April 11, 2020, 01:09:07 PM »

A queen bumble bee could sting but you would have to be trying really hard to upset one. Carry on being a Good Samaritan.
https://www.bumblebee.org/bodySting.htm
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 01:27:47 PM by stannn » Logged

Philip R

South Cheshire

« Reply #1888 on: April 11, 2020, 01:27:30 PM »

Tod,
Just ahad a double take at the little hatchling on the fingertip. I thought it was a bat, but it has a tail! Is she called Idris?

I have never been stung by a bee of any type ( yet). I would never hurt one either. (Unfortunatly have splatterred many on car windscreen and motorcycle helmet visor.)

When they fly into the house, they are a bit daft and cannot easily get out. So often usher it out with the help of a clean cotton hanky.
I am not brave enough to cup one in my hands. Fear of being stung and therefore killing the bee.
Philip R
A.L.

G69, Glasgow

« Reply #1889 on: April 11, 2020, 03:03:40 PM »

Philip,

IIRC Bumblebees (workers and queens) have barbless stings, unlike worker honeybees but not queen honeybees whose stings are barbless.

Pages: 1 ... 122 123 124 125 [126] 127 128   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: