navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 379667 times)
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #1890 on: April 11, 2020, 04:19:07 PM »

...'Just had a double take at the little hatchling on the fingertip. I thought it was a bat, but it has a tail! Is she called Idris?'...
If it was a boy, it might be a 'Norbert'.
With bumbly beebs, I just open a window and gently scoosh them towards it with a cupped hand. No sudden movements usually leads to compliance.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1891 on: April 11, 2020, 05:34:25 PM »

It is indeed a little Norbert, friendly little creatures, at worse slightly burnt fingers if they get scared and breathe out too quick.

As far as bumblebees are concerned, it is just the silly *uggers get themselves stuck in the greenhouse, and I've  always helped them out with my hands

Kidwelly South Wales
MR GUS

Officially "Awesome" because Frotter said so!

« Reply #1892 on: April 11, 2020, 06:03:34 PM »

Another vote for the cupped hand.

However if its been "banging around" lots whilst we've been out / unawares a wide glass & a slip of paper to slip over & under.

My wife wryly comments how I "brake for butterflies" (yes, even the cabbage white).

Austroflamm stove & lot's of Lowe alpine fleeces, A "finger" of Solar Sad
Noli Timere Messorem
Screw FITS
Leaf Owner (1st gen)
+a shed full of solar panels
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1893 on: April 12, 2020, 09:55:54 AM »

Out and about, sunshine, birdsong   
   But something missing,
  After listening to Frank Ryan, the weather map came on the screen, ahhh there is was,  looking fluffy   reams of it.
RAIN,  rain,  speeding towards us.  Glory be
        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1894 on: April 15, 2020, 10:15:57 AM »

It's  a good job that we have
    Mobile phones during lockdown.
  In our case, we direct one supplier to a  certain drop spot on the property and our posty to a bench in the green store. Really weird.
      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1895 on: April 28, 2020, 06:01:11 PM »

It snowed apple blossoms yesterday in the noon sunshine,
                                The Bramley will blossom later, My rush cutting is on hold, I need to recover from the first lot. It is a bit like the 3 day week,  3 days rooting and cutting and 4 days groaning and recovering. There is rain out there now, A misty drizzle that floats down in the still air, badly needed by our fruit trees and shrubs. There are loads of different bees about, masons  have returned to the dead pine trunk next to the burn, The Bumbles wander into the shed and I give them a helping hand back out again.I will leave the swards of yellow dandies alone for the honey bees. We have bees and wasps here that I don,t have a name for. They were here before me and will be here when I am gone. I am looking forward to the return of our large dragon flies. They are quite exotic with very predictable flight paths. Our thermal store sits partially dismantled but thankfully ,it will not take long to put it back working properly when the Earlybird stats arrive.
    My small 12volt Lifan powered charger sits pride of position on my work bench.It is small, compact, rubber mounted on two 25mm square galvanised runners. It is quiet and produces approx 1kw of power. drives small grinders and drills on low revs. I have shown this one before but it has been reconfigured quite a few times since and will probably be redone again. Grin.The alternator can pump out a decent 2kw on a bigger engine but what is there at the moment is very thrifty on petrol and behave remarkably well on thr low revs. satisfying project.

I originally intended to build it on a 400mm x 300mm x 12mm alloy plate base, The problem was that a lot of it was guess work.Working with the 40mm angle iron, I could make a mistake and chuck a piece away and recuse it later. not so with the alloy base. A the moment it weighs under 40kgs but not by much, I need to put lifting handles on it and a handy small dash, It runs surprisingly smooth and quiet on the rubber mountings. The ribbed belt also helps damp the noise down. It might seem mean and frugal but such a combi could do well on an off-grid sutuation running on propane. Even a 24v version would be a winner. It runs for ages on a half cupful of juice long enough to booste a battery bank.  The sun is spreading a golden ivory over the bogland, Great growing weather. The weeds will be laughing at me.
                                  Biff

pantsmachine

« Reply #1896 on: April 28, 2020, 09:56:12 PM »

Love it! An excellent project.  genuflect

8.045kWh PV system with Solar edge
7.2kWh Pylon tech battery storage
18kWh Heater Storage
Solar I boost charging 12kWh 210 ltr OSO system tank
Deep insulation, air leak controlled home
Zoned & Balanced CH wet system
Hive 2
Low energy bulbs
24 kW Leaf
Masanobu Fukuoka garden & wooden hot tu
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1897 on: May 08, 2020, 05:31:24 PM »

We had some gentle rain during the night,
    It left no trace on the street but the taller grass was damp.  I am working with a 45euro Aldi mower and a  180euro Aldi petrol geni which we have for the past 8 years. It's only 2 8w and the simplest  geni I ever owned.
I would give it 10 out of 10 for performance, economy and being easy to start.
While dodging around one of our mountain ash, I managed to cut the lead right through.  A quick job with a strip connector got me back in action. That must be the very first time that I ever sliced through a lead .
This evening our front lawn is starting to look respectable.
A few hours tomorrow and it should be finished. With this weather, anything is possible.
   Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1898 on: May 11, 2020, 11:49:16 AM »

The lawns are scutched  bare,
           Different grasses,  rushes, dandies, Thistle, Docken fall to the little Aldi mower . A  3" deep mix of above lie drying in  the sun, we will wait just before the weather breaks and scoop it on to a large canvas sheet and tow it off to to as compost. My second early bird stat never arrived , I ordered a posher version . I will find another use for the second  Earlybird stat some other time.
   It has been quite a while since I have been as busy as this. My shed waits. I have other outside projects in progress . Trees to cut, firebreaks to create. My lecky chainsaws are quick and efficient.  No good waiting for the gorse to start smoking to think about it.
This incredibly  good weather make anything doable.
Our lockdown has been eased, we can walk a couple of Kms or drive 4 but not get out of the car. We have not ventured forth yet. Food supplies, etc are well organised by the community. We miss Aldi and Lidl. Im Donegal,  we have 400 odd souls affected by the virus but again the response had been pretty good.
   Our tanks are piping hot by 2pm and the rads and stove throw the excess heat around the house . I check the T/S for overheating and manually trigger the pump when needed. Hopefully the posh Stat will arrive soon. It has large digital figures that can be read from 10ft away and a light to say that the pump is on . The Earlybird stat that I fitted to the freezer is the best one yet but you have to get very close to read the temperature which is a nuisance.
    I keep checking for the return of our bats but sadly they are absent. There are no midge either.. maybe that is why our bats are not visiting.  Onwards and upwards.
      Biff

jonsamcor

« Reply #1899 on: May 13, 2020, 09:57:35 PM »

ballspin :almost fell for the Norbert.....
All good here in Co Down hope all are safe and well, staff furloughed Iím still trying to work
Loving the weather and the lack of grass cutting many projects in the garden, still cannot sort pv to house without massive infrastructure outlay ..... hopefully solar water now sorted ....had a nut hatch within touching distance in the garden picking nesting materials .....nice !

Rural Co. Down, Proven 6kw Turbine, GSHP, Thermomax Tubes....and Total lack of technical or useful knowledge
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1900 on: May 16, 2020, 11:02:36 AM »

Proper rain at last,
    Blowing in from the north west, our lawns turn green before our eyes.  At least I got the chance to put a shape on them before they got out of control.
    Our Turbine upps the pace and cruises in the stiff breeze,
      In my futtering and rootlings I chanced across an old Yousa Battery buried deep under leaves and a birds nests in an old fiat car. A friend from bygone days. Absolutely stone dead and has been in the one position for a good 6 years.I hardwired an anderson type connector to the car and battery and plugged in my 180amp charger, Incredibly as it may sound, The little fiat started on the first turn of the engine, I suspect the heat that day was sending the fuel up toward the engine in a form of gas but I was caught by surprise. The terminal to the live on the car battery was eaten through also.
  I put air in the tires and drove it out with another battery fitted.
 Now the old battery that came out of the car looked pretty recent before the car was laid up. I stuck it on charge. On a 12amp fan cooled intelligent charger. I bought 2 of these from a chap called Martin Hewitt sometime back around 2007, one blew black smoke at me but this one seemd to be indestructable. Because there was nothing in the old battery, The charger should not have worked like it did, I left it for half an hour and then forgot all about it untill the next day and low and behold it was up to 3 yellow light points on the charger. I let it sit for a day and then put the meter on it, It read 12.14. Then I charged it for another 8 hours and left it overnight,, let it sit overnight and it showed 12.28, the days go by and now it can hold 12,35 overnight.
  Which brings me to  "The Infinitum Battery Life Span Maximizer". I bought one of these back in 2008 with the intention of overhalling 100amp x 12v Yousa batts, 20 in number facepalm. When the item arrived in the post it sat in the palm of my hand. There were no reviews back then ans nobody knew a lot about them. So last night I googled it and was surprised to find that it actually worked and that it kept the plates clean by pulse modulating. Now i know quite a bit about pulse modulating and how it can booste the power of a battery. It really can and a 12 volt x 80 watt solar PV panel with a small 8amp controller can get the best out of most batteries. So naturally enough I am going to stick it on this old car battery and see if it cleans the plates. One of the things necessary to get it to work properly is to have a charger that can sit just on or above 12.9 charge, or maybe it is 13,9 Roll Eyes but I have that. So i will post a pic if it works and sling it if it don,t. If this works, It will be the first time any of my battery experiments came good. You never know till you try and Yousa is good to start with.
                                              Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1901 on: May 21, 2020, 11:02:47 PM »

Quite windy,
                  W/T cruising and heating water.,The net coming and going ., so It is indeed rather breezy. I spent 30minutes this evening weighing everything down. Out trees are inn full leaf and I could see a few struggling to stay upright. The leaves are heavy, green and strong.. There definitely will be changes to see tomorrow.
    .The grass is ready for cutting again, Our fruit trees are getting hammered as I type. I guess ther is a lot of luck in growing fruit trees.
                                          Biff

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1902 on: May 22, 2020, 05:21:10 AM »

Indeed Biff  ,  here at the South coast  the wind is hammering   the plants , that just recovering from winter ....
I just can only wish and hope that the wind did not pick up to much salt from the sea while , while creating a rough sea  and its spray
That salt sits then on the leaves  ....

Hopefully the soft rain  tomorrow /today   will wash parts of that  off !  As the high salt concentration on the leaves will  dry out the soil arround the roots too , very fast , cause the plant  lives on osmosis , so each plant cell is basically a battery cell with a concentration of salts ( or say  plantfood)  , so each cell  passes on the higher concentration to the next , thats usually how fertilizer is transported upwards into the higher plant parts , so the high concentration of  salt on the leaves will rush the plant to sent lower concentrated water up to the leaves  by osmosis to balance the liquids out in concentration .... theory thinking  garden

I have to plant 2 new gardens here next to the sea , in south-west cork , this summer , as much as i like my  architectural design approach , but not useful only on paper .... , seems the winter weather here in Ireland is shifting   since i am gardening here ( since 30 years)  more in to the  the late spring month ...
I might be wrong on that , but its rough on all those new buds coming into leaf   , then burnt , than try to recover ....

In Germany seems to be the past years the scenario , nearly no spring .... from winter into a hot summer ,  many  conifer forests needs adjusting , to more  resistant  ideas

https://www.trtworld.com/europe/lack-of-rain-puts-germany-s-forests-in-danger-35750

Pretty rough morning now while i type  .... better brew a tea now

billi

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 05:33:00 AM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
camillitech

« Reply #1903 on: May 22, 2020, 06:06:28 AM »

Aye Billi,

that salt laden air followed by sunshine is a killer in these parts, methinks we're in for a blast of it today judging by last night's sky and today's fore cast  fingers crossed!

Stay safe peeps.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1904 on: May 22, 2020, 12:21:07 PM »

Everything going good,
            A blustery force 7 going strong.  W/T cruising, very heavy rain for a few hours. Shed too noisy, creaking  and groaning, steel on steel.
As the years went by, our fruit trees managed to put down good roots and with a bit of luck, will come through this, unfortunately, the blossoms on the Bramley have been mostly destroyed.
 This breeze is supposed to peak around 4pm today and maintain that overnight. Plenty of nice hot water.  Grin
      Biff

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 125 126 [127] 128 129   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: