navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 [128] 129   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 367306 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1905 on: May 22, 2020, 12:56:15 PM »

About a force 7 it rained during the night just blustery now.

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1906 on: May 23, 2020, 11:47:45 AM »

Very heavy rain during the night,
             Nice new grass hammered flat. The wind is still strong. The branches on our giant Sally are drooped with fatigue but will steady up in a few days. I seem to almost  want to steer clear of our Bramley and Gala.
 My battery projects are on hold while I dutifully make progress with other more pressing needs.   
   My experiments with the desulphator are showing some success.j it does seem to work but pushing past 14.48volts is barely achievable on the 12 Ah intelligent charger so I hooked it up to one of my 14 ,180 ah chargers and  stuffed it full of charge ticking over for 15 mins but without the desulpathator connected. It is now holding a charge of 12.54 over 48 hours. I an certainly going to look into this more closely.
       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
jonsamcor

« Reply #1907 on: May 26, 2020, 10:11:42 PM »

Biff
Actually really like reading your posts......
You should think about making a (practical) diary together with your notes and publish it ... or just send them this thread...
On another topic any ash die back with you ? Just noticed we have it a couple of weeks ago and we have a lot of ash trees ....not good At all.
No further forward with getting pv on the roof without 3 phase ..... might just tramp on with batteries and say nothing we shall see ....
JC

Rural Co. Down, Proven 6kw Turbine, GSHP, Thermomax Tubes....and Total lack of technical or useful knowledge
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1908 on: May 27, 2020, 09:24:35 AM »

Thank you JC,
            Very nice of you to say so. Some years back, Paul (Camillitech) was entered for the blog of the year contest by our Navitron moderators back then, He won £10,000 which he says came in very handy. His blog is called "Life at the end of the Road" and I hope he still keeps it up. It is one of the nicest blogs you could read. Full of masses of information and great pics. Paul would also be our resident Proven expert and has flown Provens for many years. I of course fly Chinese Turbines and find them very exciting and economic. If it is about bangs for bucks, You cannot possibly beat a 2kw Chinese Yang-Shen  with low wind speed blades. Old Provens can be very boring and reliable.
      Ash Dieback has been with us for some years now, I actually cut down a large Ash tree and used it in our stove, However we have other healthy Ash that seem to be able to resist the dieback and whose leaves are fresh green and clean. I used to think that it was the salt in the wind that was burning the leaves black. It affects other shrubs as well. I did notice that the ash trees that were dieback free, were carrying a share of ivy.
                           Biff
    Ground mounted array can often supply the best all round solution
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:27:15 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1909 on: June 01, 2020, 08:35:47 PM »

A golden glaring setting sun, A harsh ivory blue sky, not a cloud to be seen and the end of a perfect Day. 
    Mrs Biff spent hours out with her camera, trapping vivid red coloured butterflies,  bees  and more bees of different skills, some in the miners union and of course the Masons the brotherhood, all on Sd. We have a quite long black bee character who is very territorial and aggressive but it is all show,  He or his offspring appear in the same spot year after year, flying about 5ft above ground.  We have never seen as many honeybees, They perform surprisingly  well for the camera and make charming short videos for our grandchildren.  The birds are not settled in, there is a lot of raucous argueing but we have not figured out what is wrong. Freda is still with us and keeps her distance. She said goodbye to her last brood some weeks ago, it must be the toughest love in existences , our cats are too fat to bother them but their survival chances are next to nil.
We don't  watch much telly anymore. It has gotten rather confusing. Yet we are hopeful that things will  come right and that this good dry breezy weather will see off the virus.
 My battery restoration or desulphator project  is running at a 50% success rate.  Yousa 100 ah No 2 has gassed equally through the 6 top holes and maintained a steady high voltage for hours on end. It should come good tomorrow being charged through my12v  pulse modulation controller and 80 watt PV panel. I used it on my digger 24v system years ago with a 35vmp pv  panel, . It never failed. It was like a form of witchcraft.
     Good evening to you all.
      Biff

Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #1910 on: June 02, 2020, 08:18:03 AM »

Living in N-E Hampshire my bit of sky was always full of planes and their trails. Since the onset of 'The Great Plague', the skies have been crystal clear, with nary a contrail in sight. These are the skies of my childhood, long summer days with only the sun in the sky; when only the wealthy traveled by plane. This afternoon before the weather breaks, I'll go up on the hill and take some pics.
On one visit to my wshop yesterday I was watching those bejeweled masterpieces of insect aviation, the blue damsel flies darting around over the longer grass. Amazing to watch, but more amazing to me was the local robin that dived from the hedge to snaffle one. It was about a third of the robin's length, but was taken back to the nest. How a chick can eat something it's own size, I don't know!
 It's lovely dying weather, clothes that dripped on the line are fresh and dry in one hour or less. The tumbler sits idle til winter, I may make a heat-exchanger for the exhaust, to retain some of the precious Wh's in the house.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
kdmnx

« Reply #1911 on: June 02, 2020, 09:35:39 AM »

Living in N-E Hampshire my bit of sky was always full of planes and their trails. Since the onset of 'The Great Plague', the skies have been crystal clear, with nary a contrail in sight. These are the skies of my childhood, long summer days with only the sun in the sky; when only the wealthy traveled by plane. This afternoon before the weather breaks, I'll go up on the hill and take some pics.
On one visit to my wshop yesterday I was watching those bejeweled masterpieces of insect aviation, the blue damsel flies darting around over the longer grass. Amazing to watch, but more amazing to me was the local robin that dived from the hedge to snaffle one. It was about a third of the robin's length, but was taken back to the nest. How a chick can eat something it's own size, I don't know!
 It's lovely dying weather, clothes that dripped on the line are fresh and dry in one hour or less. The tumbler sits idle til winter, I may make a heat-exchanger for the exhaust, to retain some of the precious Wh's in the house.

I got a heat pump tumble drier last year. It takes a very small amount of power to run and waste heat is vented to the room rather than outside. THeyve come down a lot in price recently too.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 09:38:17 AM by kdmnx » Logged

12x JA Solar 340Wp panels (total 4080Wp)
Lux Power inverter charger
5x PylonTech 2000 2.4kWh batteries (total 12kWh (11kWh usable))
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1912 on: June 02, 2020, 12:59:36 PM »

I remember those clear skies of my childhood as well N2,
  The planes bound for the states would pass over our peninsula and we would wonder who we knew might be on board. There was always a steady stream of people leaving for America.
We have our cameras ready for our Dragonfly,s entrance.
 Odd that Freda relatives would eat then but I remember one sunny day on our front street,  The dangerous Mrs Hubs , plucking one causally  from a good 6ft above her head, pulling the wings off it and giving it to her sole kitten so it looks like they have many predators.
  This morning I fitted my old PMW  30amp  solar controller to No2 100ah Yousa. It seems to be doing well  will post pic of same lanter.
        Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1913 on: June 05, 2020, 12:13:05 PM »

Thank goodness we’ve just had a proper downpour. There’s been glorious weather In Derbyshire but no rain for 2 months. The orchard again has a monster crop of little green apples but they need rain.
I believe that unusually strong winds tomorrow will test the trees now that they are in full leaf. I’m seeing major dieback of large ash trees locally. In the dales the problem is more severe and you can see different species being planted to replace them.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 12:29:36 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1914 on: June 05, 2020, 01:46:35 PM »

Pouring down steady here,
        We seem to have bumper crops on the way also but counting the chickens before they hatch is not advisable.
Our trees are in full leaf and the wind will hammer them also. Sad to say,  our good plum tree is denying us a single plum .
  80% of our ash trees or the ones that I can see are looking clean and healthy at the moment . Touch wood.
  The sun is out
    Biff

tolly

« Reply #1915 on: June 06, 2020, 10:17:02 AM »

Hi Biff, et al.
Been a long time since I wrote, or even looked at this forum, and amazed to find this thread still going strong - brilliant. I had to shelve my plans to fly my newly purchased (in 2014) Ginlong 1800 in order to build the house. After 6 years of 'never again' it's nearly finished and it's time to turn some thought to raising a turbine again. Have to prepare the site first with some concrete then construct a new head to mount the PMG and tail. My electrics are nearly complete but I still need to upgrade my power diverter from 120v to 600v. I'm lucky to have a nice spot for the turbine that's free from turbulence. Good foundations/preparation in the Hebrides are vital and I need to design an easy to operate gin pole for major gales. Having blown up over half a dozen Futurenergy PMGs (a long time ago before they recommended taking them down in + force7) I need to be able to down the turbine.
My new site is, very unfortunately, prone to lightning strikes.  I've already had several blasts, one destroyed a solar grid-tie inverter and another a water pump some 200m away. I had foolishly left excess SWA power cable to the pump coiled up on the grass, un-buried. That was hit.
Does anyone have an info or advise on lightning protection for a small scaffold pole mounted turbine?
Anyhow, just sending regards and  great to see this forum is still active.
T
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1916 on: June 06, 2020, 11:22:40 AM »

Welcome back Tolly,
                As for lightening, ?  It has a mind of it s own. We has a 2kw W/T  fried black one lightening storm, lightening does not obey anyone. It can be selective . Destroy somethings and leave other sensitive items unharmed. When the lightening fried our turbine, it struck the lawn first about 10ft from the bottom of the turbine tower. Then it went up and little triangular blue looking flames went out to the end of the tail. That was the bit that puzzled me. That tail was about 7ft long and the lightening flickered blue almost the full length . Our 5kw standby Generator  was disconnected but the large blue house socket was melted inside. The sound went on the telly for an hour. However  our controller  Inverter all continued to work perfectly. I don't  know how you could mitigate or avoid lightening strikes. We do unplug everything in the house and if lightening is forecast we lower the turbine and disconnect everything. At least we try something but lightening does not obey the rules.
   From what I remember of Ginlong, They had big oversize blades, maybe you could give me an idea of their size and a pic of the tail  and furling mechanism. I might save you a lot of grief. I hope this helps.
       Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1917 on: June 06, 2020, 12:24:53 PM »

Does anyone have an info or advise on lightning protection for a small scaffold pole mounted turbine?
Anyhow, just sending regards and  great to see this forum is still active.
T

Lucky underpants are as good as anything Tolly, those and an NFU mutual insurance policy  sh*tfan

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
tolly

« Reply #1918 on: June 06, 2020, 03:31:41 PM »

Many thanks - I searched 'Lucky underpants' in duckduckgo (a non-evasive version of Goggle?) and was, to my dismay, not pleasantly surprised. I will have to consider some mitigation. I will be adding a significantly sized copper cable clamped to the base of the tower and run into the nearby and surrounding bog. Bogs are really good at dissipating lightning compared to rock, so I believe.
I have been wondering about a copper earthing rod fixed somewhere at the very top of the turbine. Have to figure out how to fix it as the electrical cables going into the split ring won't like it. I'd prefer the copper rod to be electrically fixed to the tower and not the top generator/tail assembly. Perhaps that's just overkill, or over thinking, and I should allow the tower's pole be my lightning conductor.

As for blades, it'll be under bladed, I'll be using an old set of Futurenergy three bladers. 1kW blades on a 1.8kW PMG should minimise my concerns in high winds? The only Ginlong bit I have is the PMG - and it looks to be built like the proverbial brick * house, especially compared to the FE48s I had years ago.
My other intention is to use a set of the 'very inefficient' blade pins which will, hopefully, limit rotation in high winds.  Their inevitable loss of power at low wind speeds is tolerable compared to another burned out PMG. This means I hope I can do without furling? I hope so as furling puts huge stresss on the bearings - well everything - and creates a LOT of noise. This is going to be experimental, again.
I think 'Miniwind' worked on this principle but they have vanished, I think. Does anyone have experience of 'not furling' and the use of less-efficient blade pins?
Anyhow, back to the soldering iron, have some new FETs to play with.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1919 on: June 26, 2020, 08:52:31 AM »

Sorry Tolly, I am a little late in answering.
        However, you ask about experience in non furling W/Ts. Of which I have some. I found that stepped dump loads makes for much smoother performance, and a reduction in blade area is a must..
  Our 2kw Chinese Y/S could produce a hairy 3kw+  in a force 8.  So I swopped my 2kw blades for 1 kw ones and never looked back since  it did not affect the low start up but certainly did affect the top range. Our Y/S does have a furling mechanism but a very primitive one and we had serious issues with overspeed until I swopped props.
  Our top whack now is a respectable 1.5kw in a force 8 and winds below that remain very much the same output.
  There are no wizardry involved in the controllers in the 2kw range,  just the basic 138VDc dump load  immersions
 One for each tank. At slightly different  voltage points  so that they don't  slam on the brakes  too hard together, rather one just a split second after the other, , In very windy weather it looks like the prop is shuffling . You have to stare at the prop to see it. It's good.
    I sent some non furling 600watt Y/Ss out to the Islands years ago. Their normal prop was 1800mm, I exchanged these props for the 1500m Aelous 300 props and got excellent feedback. These Y/S turbines were the same model that Roger flew on his Greek Island. They were later  sold as 750watt Y/Ss. These were really good value for the money as long as you knew to swop the prop to 1500mm in exposed coastal areas...  The ones that I had were all 24volt.  They fitted on top of a scaffold pole and could be lowered quickly..They were one of the best bangs per buck going at that time.. I hope this helps.
    Biff

Pages: 1 ... 124 125 126 127 [128] 129   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: