navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 128 [129] 130   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 387413 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1920 on: June 28, 2020, 05:58:39 PM »

We had very early morning  warnings of flooding, particularly in Donegal.
  Indeed, by 9am the skies had closed in and the north wind began hurling large waving sheets of white water at our north facing patio doors. We had breakfast at 7 and after a few hours of catching up on world news, I retired to bed and slept to 1pm. What is seldom is wonderful but lying in bed was never my forte.
It is almost 6pm and the rain is still coming down the same, streaming down the patio doors without letup.
       So I would guess that our PV is well scoured and the grass well flattened. There is also a good strong shot of wind. Our Turbine has been plumping out the amps steady
 What's not to like. There is not a lot one can do on a day like today. I sincerely hope this rain does not inconvenient
 you. Our farmers will have plenty to complain about this June.
        Biff
  It has just gone 10pm and our local waterfall, Assaranca is spouting volumes never seen before. This must be some kind of record rainfall..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:03:51 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1921 on: August 18, 2020, 11:43:08 AM »

The skies are on the floor, darkness comes early to hot sweaty nights that deny sleep.
  With the low clouds and lack of sunshine our PV  struggles to stay above 139vdc so water heating has not been as efficient as normal. The forecast for the next week is "more of the same",  Our Turbine sits motionless.
   We all wear masks here now. Well, we are supposed to.
 My battery strings are mostly balanced now and ready for installation as a standby during the winter months. I had kept 5 strings of 4 (48v) topped up since last summer so the batts seem to be very near 12.80 or 128vdc after a week sitting unconnected.
 I allowed our Symmetra Rm to languish unloved and now I am in the process of sorting through the battery modules and replacing any duds. In truth,  Our need for the Symnetra is the same as our need for a Rolls Royce,  The bells and whistles and class of workmanship are a race apart from anything else on the market. But I am not using it. Our house is run by our old faithful Chinese low frequency 2kw Inverter and it's  little smiling chinaman who guards against overload. If we want some more power I can thrown in one of our Powerware Compaq 3,000 to drive the lawnmower.. one push of the button and they are up and off like a Co-ck at a gooseberry . They don't  entertain language like "Graceful reboot".  David Walliams must have been thinking of the Symmetra rm when he wrote that sketch "The computer says No".. The Symnetra takes it's time and tells you exactly what it wants you to hear. That's why they last so long and they are still making them.. I will put it on Fleaybay in the near future and get a good home and happy owner for it.
  Our apples are doing well but our Plum tree has decided that we only deserve a few dozen plums. Our lawns have gone back to nature with a vengeance. I have never seen briers grow with such speed. I have come to the conclusion that they definitely have some form of intelligence because they can await the right winds and launch themselves across gaps of up to 4ft successfully. ( too much lockdown here).
       I think that most of us have come to accept that the virus is never going to be far away. We have always adapted in the past and we will adapt once again. The unforeseen effects on our social skills and our  young people,s education is something that we have all underestimated but will have to learn to live with. We know what we have to do.
  Stay safe everyone.
      Biff

« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 12:25:57 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1922 on: August 20, 2020, 11:22:31 AM »

Ellen, Arrived last night,
           Our local news said that lots of trees are down and quite a bit of damage. I have to admit, I got caught napping this time but the wind was from the south and  being in the lee of the mountain, I assumed It would fizzle out before it got to us,
  Something woke me at 4, the hall controller was clocking 141 steady,    whoops, I was glad for the small blades . I remembered that I had not dropped the shed roller door on it's  bottom seal. Out I went and down to the shed.  Thankfully not a lot of water had got in, I got it in time. The real blow was around 6am. I just happened to have a lot of electrical gear on low tables inside the roller door and  damp conditions does not suit .
    There is still a decent breeze out there now and our Turbine is still clocking a useful 141vdc.
  Did I mention that Wind Turbines are addictive,  You really get to feel for them  battling away and doing the business.
  H,mmm, after a few years, the warm grease stains the sides of the casing. The bevelled tail pin rattles during braking,  The blades get pitted and demand another coat if Gravid600.  Like an eternal boxer dodging the blows and swinging around to counter yet no escape untill the wind decides to settle and has had enough.
    I must post a pic of an FD200, windings fried black with the salt spray and lightening strike. Talk about a hard life but its owner wanted the same again. He spoke of how, after a day,s fishing he would sit over dinner and watch his turbine flying in the breeze., Shuffling, hunting and doing the business. I understood perfectly. I gave him a bargain and  took his FD200 in part exchange. There is something about Wind Turbines, healthy, wholesome and at peace with nature.
      Biff
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 05:26:07 PM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1923 on: August 20, 2020, 05:53:18 PM »

An FD 200 in repose,

How else would a fisherman give you a turbine but in a fishbox,  The handiest way of all,  Note the charred remains of the windings,

Apparently the one of dem magnets popped out of the PMG , so They stripped it down and put is back in place with epoxy resin, A nice job and well done, Then a set of good bearings and sadly there was something more serious wrong, It was the heat of the lightening strike that popped the magnet and of course fried the lot and then it just turned slowly, with the insulation burned off the copper, in a short out.

I did a lot of these props, cutting them down and tapering the ends, I had two templates, one for 9" and one for 6". They don,t stand a chance of survival with the full 1mtr blade but by gum they give some bang per buck before they give up. With the blades cut back and a set of good bearings, they will last indefinitely.     

I am not sure if they were trying to save the seagulls or not but that black paint would definitely protect the blades from the sand in the wind.
    It was a good one and there are loads of it,s brothers still going strong,,
    Biff

supremetwo

« Reply #1924 on: August 20, 2020, 11:24:18 PM »

Hi, Biff

Do you have a coil winder?

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1925 on: August 21, 2020, 09:22:27 AM »

Good morning Supremetwo,
          Unfortunately No,  This Turbine was a 24volt one that could clock an impressive 300watt.
   It would be quite something if I could do a rewind job on it. To be honest, it never occurred to me, till you asked.
         Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1926 on: August 25, 2020, 07:35:49 AM »

Turbine lowered,
          Everything weighed down but I cannot do much about our fruit trees which are weighed down with fruit.
  We are supposed to get the heaviest rainfall and winds of 110km per hour, good luck everyone.
      Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1927 on: August 25, 2020, 12:18:59 PM »

Not sure if I've been blown inside out or back the right way!
We got half way on our walk when Elliott took the decision unbidded surrender of turning around and heading back. Gusting to 90kph, quite a stiff breeze.
I'm just glad we no longer keep pigs we would always try and send them on their 'holidays' prior to the big Atlantic storms rolling in early October.
Thank goodness we have Trump's advice that climate change is fake news. fume
So sorry for the poor blighters that are going to get flooded again
Stay safe folk
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 12:25:33 PM by todthedog » Logged

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1928 on: September 05, 2020, 03:58:06 PM »

Over a week later,
       And the wind is still going strong, The forecasts says moderate  32 to 34 but the controllers are all on their dump loads, the rain keeps the PMG cool as the voltage stays up on the 141vdc area, except for the washing Machine which took it down to 123vdc (heater) after the 3rd wash so not only is it driving the washing machine it was also heating the tanks. There is of course the steady 400 to 500 watt of PV also.
  I reorganised my  batts and toys with my pet Symmetra shelved and insulated, hung below is a 120v controller with its warm air ducted to rise and warm the Symmetra to keep it damp free. It now has it's own 65ah external bank and hopefully some lucky person will buy it. It was simply too good for the life that I intended for it but I still have my old one which is still going strong.
     A week or so ago, I had the Symmetra  connected up to this 65ah bank and taking power from a small 660 watt array through a 120v controller.
 I had the large 2kw+ green resistor dump loads bypassed and connected to a canister of 5mm limestone chippings.
  The canister, 200 x 200mm x 500mm was sat upright on a skate and the leads plumbed into the controller.
  Very simple.  This canister was rated at 1.5kw in AC and I knew that it might be risky leaving it alone because the canister was only worth a 5th of its dumpload in DC.
  On the first day of testing it took a few hours for the canister to even get handwarm. The following day was sunny and bright, The canister began to heat up within 2 hours and by 2pm, the voltage was creeping up past 144vdc , it was time to put the cardboard  covers on the small array. I was very impressed. I believe that the 200 x 200 x 500mm measurements, must be the one that gives the best result.
  I see no reason why such a set up could not be scaled up and used in a new passhause construction. A purpose built cavity underneath  the hall floor and insulated to the hilt then packed with such canisters leaving small gaps between them so that the air could be heated as the fan drives it out to heat the house or a liquid filled copper pipe trapped tight  between the canisters to act as a heat exchanger. Heating those small chips certainly works well.
   I am positive that there is a very good move in this one.
  We can thank Jonathen Howes for it. Everyone has used it at one time or another but it still has Jonathen,s name on the patent. I believe it would serve as an ideal application in Passivehause construction. (Or any construction),  
   It looks like winter is back. Tomorrow is giving a sunny outlook but now it is already getting dark, misty and miserable. Our faithful turbine is clocking good amps in the north wind. Something are cheery and our Turbine doing the business is certainly one of them.
    Biff
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 04:03:15 PM by biff » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1929 on: September 29, 2020, 12:32:10 PM »

A woman brought a very limp duck into a veterinary surgeon.

As she laid her pet on the table, the vet pulled out his stethoscope and carefully listened to the bird's chest.

After a moment or two, the vet shook his head and sadly said, "I'm sorry, your duck, Cuddles, has passed away."

The distressed woman wailed, "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I am sure. Your duck is dead," replied the vet..

"How can you be so sure?" she protested. "I mean you haven't done any testing on him or anything. He might just be in a coma or something."

The vet rolled his eyes, turned around and left the room, and returned a few minutes later with a black Labrador Retriever.

As the duck's owner looked on in amazement, the dog stood on his hind legs, put his front paws on the examination table and sniffed the duck from top to bottom. He then looked up at the vet with sad eyes and shook his head.

The vet patted the dog on the head and took it out of the room.

A few minutes later he returned with a cat. The cat jumped on the table and also delicately sniffed the bird from head to foot. The cat sat back on its haunches, shook its head, meowed softly and strolled out of the room.

The vet looked at the woman and said, "I'm so sorry, but as I said, this is most definitely, 100% certifiably, a dead duck."

The vet turned to his computer terminal, hit a few keys and produced a bill, which he handed to the woman..

The duck's owner, still in shock, took the bill.

"£450!" she cried, "£450 just to tell me my duck is dead!"

The vet shrugged, "I'm sorry. If you had just taken my word for it, the bill would have been £30, but with the Lab Report and the Cat Scan, it's now £450..."

snow reindeer banghead bike

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1930 on: September 29, 2020, 08:00:14 PM »

Good one Tod, Gave Mrs Biff a good hearty laugh.
             There is a bully force 8 battering away out there.  The Met Eireann forecast a moderate wind but this one has the controller filling the clock, steady at 140/141.
We lost all our lovely Bramley and now the weight of our eating apples will surely snap the branches. It has been a hell of a cruel devious year for fruit trees.
   Still we should have tons of nice hot water wackoold
     Biff
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 01:22:55 AM by biff » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1931 on: September 30, 2020, 06:30:50 AM »

hysteria

Kidwelly South Wales
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #1932 on: October 01, 2020, 08:12:39 AM »

Good one Tod, Gave Mrs Biff a good hearty laugh.
             There is a bully force 8 battering away out there.  The Met Eireann forecast a moderate wind but this one has the controller filling the clock, steady at 140/141.
We lost all our lovely Bramley and now the weight of our eating apples will surely snap the branches. It has been a hell of a cruel devious year for fruit trees.
   Still we should have tons of nice hot water wackoold
     Biff

Mornin’ Biff...
earlier in the year I took three barrowloads of immature apples from the Russets to lighten their load and improve the chances of a harvest without breaking the small trees.
After this latest ‘blow’, the fully ripe ones are in the wet grass and only wizened useless ones remain on the branches.

A ‘cruel and devious’ fruit year indeed...

Cheers - and stay safe - Chas
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1933 on: October 01, 2020, 09:04:55 AM »

Aye, Chas,
        It's  a horrible shocking feeling to see all the good apples on the grass . However, despite my dread with the last storm, we did not lose all our eating apples and my favourite tree that produces the little dark red apple seems to have come through unscathed.
But,, but there is another storm on the way and our forecasters are calling this one STRONG WIND which means we are on for a proper hammering.
   Stay safe
       Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1934 on: October 01, 2020, 10:59:06 AM »

We’ve had a monstrous crop of apples with both the eaters and cookers and they are big. The warm Spring was the main reason. This year I did go around pulling off the cracked and smaller ones regularly and I do believe that it was effective. There is a limit to how many apples you can eat! Fortunately, the Worcester is ready to eat very early but now we are into Discovery, Ellison’s Orange and Sunset with dear Wifey doing her best to simmer and freeze them. They are lovely later with blackberries.
We save the firm fruit in those stacking plastic mushroom trays to be eaten or to be put out through winter for the blackbirds.
This year is a disaster for cider makers as a big part of sales is at the events which Covid has cancelled.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 11:03:17 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 128 [129] 130   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: