navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 128 [129]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 373112 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1920 on: June 28, 2020, 05:58:39 PM »

We had very early morning  warnings of flooding, particularly in Donegal.
  Indeed, by 9am the skies had closed in and the north wind began hurling large waving sheets of white water at our north facing patio doors. We had breakfast at 7 and after a few hours of catching up on world news, I retired to bed and slept to 1pm. What is seldom is wonderful but lying in bed was never my forte.
It is almost 6pm and the rain is still coming down the same, streaming down the patio doors without letup.
       So I would guess that our PV is well scoured and the grass well flattened. There is also a good strong shot of wind. Our Turbine has been plumping out the amps steady
 What's not to like. There is not a lot one can do on a day like today. I sincerely hope this rain does not inconvenient
 you. Our farmers will have plenty to complain about this June.
        Biff
  It has just gone 10pm and our local waterfall, Assaranca is spouting volumes never seen before. This must be some kind of record rainfall..
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:03:51 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1921 on: August 04, 2020, 01:29:02 PM »

Strewth!,
        Rain and wind,? Oh, I almost forgot, some sun as well.
 Yet we cannot complain. When the wind blows strong and the amp come pouring in, the steady drizzle keeps our Wind Turbine cool. At the same time, our solar PV plays second fiddle as our wind turbine soars uninterrupted.
  We have had summers of strong wind and bright sunshine and our confused wind turbine struggled to fly only to be shut down by the PV and forced to settle for frustrating short bursts, then lowered to wait out that odd spell. I know that there are magic portions of electrical wizardry  to cope with such situations but deep inside there is the formula of robbing Peter to pay Paul and that I do not need.
    Tinbum,s close shave, reminds us of how fragile we all are, I had an eye operation on the 5th of February this year.
 It entailed drilling a hole down into my eyeball to relieve the pressure. There were over 20 micro stitches around the bubble or flap on top and my consultant spent the following days tweaking the eye and adjusting the pressure by removing the stitches from the flap over the hole on the top of my eyeball.
  She is incredibly skillful,  tall, willowly and confident, she talked to me as she lifted out the stitches. Mrs Biff and her
chatting away and her student looking on. She saved the sight of my right eye. I returned twice after and then she disappeared of the face of the earth.
  I still needed the remaining stitches out but consequent visits were met by doctors acting as consultants and I had a problem with that.
I was reassured that my Consultant who was rather ill, thankfully did not have the dreaded virus.
Still, my appointments meant going into a hospital where the nurses and staff,s moral was and is very low. Some wear masks and some don't. Not good. The weeks and months dragged on and my eye was being irritated by the presence of the stitches. Finally Mrs Biff rang the hospital and explained the situation in detail.
On my last appointment  on July the 20th a consultant removed 2 stitches " that were just hanging there", my eye is much more comfortable now and thankfully I will have someone ready to complete the rest of the work on my right eye. Mrs Biff and I were hoping that our first consultant could have completed the job. Not just for me but also for her because she worked so hard. We live in hope.
  Life has changed dramatically,  I wear a mask and visor now in the shed while conducting business. The islanders  are quick on the uptake and arrive with their masks and keep their distance. A recent spate of lightening strikes  sent some unhappy turbineers my way. I take their old turbines in part exchange, I am now the proud owner of a plucky, game but fried, little FD 200.. it gave great service and will join my other friends in my casualty ward.
  Navitron 60watt panels are surprisingly powerful and a pair strapped to the roof of a 130ex with a little blue 30amp Chinese controller has become quite popular.
 The controller even has the USP socket for the digger drivers phone and a switch for internal led lights load.
  Oh yee modern world,!!
       Stick to the plan good folks,, stay safe.
         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 127 128 [129]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: