navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 413004 times)
Nickel2

Sunny North-East Hampshire

« Reply #1965 on: December 07, 2020, 11:09:18 AM »

Hi Biff.
Next time you have the turnip down on the trestle, remove the bolts, wire-brush back to clean-as-possible and give a coat of 'Galvafroid'.
They used it on steel equipment chassis' (when I was doing my apprenticeship), to help prevent crevice-corrosion at spot-welded metal joints.
I seemed to work as a cold galvanising layer. I don't know if it is still available in the same form (brush-on), but I'm sure there is a modern equivalent.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
New (Old) 8S7P LiFe battery, 105Ah @ 26.4V
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Nissan micra Spirita   (Short range)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1966 on: December 07, 2020, 11:56:09 AM »

Thank you N2
        I will do a search for it.
 I did spray all the usual suspects with a couple of coats of WD 40, which is a help of a kind and also  acts as lock on the nuts, I mean the nuts on the bolts.
        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1967 on: December 15, 2020, 11:05:18 AM »

Christmas is almost upon us,.   
               With all the ramifications in rearranging Europe, the dreaded  virus and now that old goat with the reindeer and the sledge, its mind numbing,  We are all making a genuine attempt to cover up and wear masks, wash hands properly and keep them away from our faces.  But we are still Ireland,s proportionately highest rate of Covid 19 infections. The vaccine is way off sometime in 2021.
   We are having very good turbine weather and sunny days like today are averaging 2 a week which is surprisingly good. We blotted our copy book with the latest virus outbreaks and some of our hospitals are full to capacity .
  I dread to think what will happen over Christmas and the new year. We are very fond of our parties and sing songs.
    Freda is rather wild these days, I think she is ready to take off for her 2 month retreat. I have never known any animal, never mind a small bird like Freda that evolution had been so unkind to and short circuits her thinking.
   She cannot have family gatherings or visits from grandchildren,  instead she rejects her children after 3 days out of the nest. Very very few survive to adulthood like Freda. Her jealousy knows no bounds.  She will pick fights with other birds much bigger than her. The miracle is, that she has survived for so long. Our present bunch of felines, A mum and 2 beautiful glossy kittens  control the area around my shed. The score of blackbirds in our fruit bushes are no longer.  And Mum leaves the odd perfect rat with its skull cracked like a nut for me to find as a trade off. Freda is right to avoid that area. Mum is all white with some black on her face and rump. We also have a skinny fox hanging about which annoys the hound.
   Our new bank is exceeding all our expectations. It works very well and the management method is working out to be a lot smarter than I first realised. It is a bit like the time I sewed the hole in my pocket as a kid, It stopped the draught but it also saved me money.
     Hang in there everybody, no matter how strong in the head you are  Lockdown will take its toll. So stick it out and look for the dawn. This is something that we will never forget and quite frankly, find hard to believe that we could find it so difficult to cope with.Amazon and Fleabay must be making a fortune out of us. Yet I am grateful to them because I am never stuck for any electrical bits and Bob's.
  Our local shops and volunteers delivered to our house through the worst of the lockdown. They do a great job.
But the worst thing that I find is that I cannot stay  and talk to my friends in their workshops, I arrive with my mask and visor, push a couple of masks into their hands and tell them to wear them. A modern day Buzz Lightyesr.. I want them still there when this damd virus is gone. I simply cannot afford to lose them.
  Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1968 on: December 16, 2020, 08:23:23 AM »

Our storm is not too bad,
          The main thrust is much farther South,
  However, reports are coming in that hospitals in NI are being overrun  with Covid 19 patients,  Antrim Hosp, are trying to treat their Covid 19 patients in their car park.
  We know that Letterkenny Hosp, on the ROI  side is also full, Things have really taken a turn for the worst.
  Discussion are taking place in Stormount as to what action must be taken.
    Farther south in the ROI  again, The Department of Education has ordered Mr Loftus, a school principal in Claremorris to reopen his school but he is preparing to resign because of the serious outbreak of Covid19 among his pupils. Only 7  pupils turned up yesterday morning. He has the full support of the parents (bar 7).
    It is going to be a different kind of Christmas folks.
 We need to forgo this one, so that we can live to enjoy the next ones.
     Biff

Fintray

« Reply #1969 on: December 16, 2020, 09:48:04 AM »

Hi Biff.
Next time you have the turnip down on the trestle, remove the bolts, wire-brush back to clean-as-possible and give a coat of 'Galvafroid'.
They used it on steel equipment chassis' (when I was doing my apprenticeship), to help prevent crevice-corrosion at spot-welded metal joints.
I seemed to work as a cold galvanising layer. I don't know if it is still available in the same form (brush-on), but I'm sure there is a modern equivalent.

It's still available, a couple of alternatives are Zinga and Bilt Hamber Electrox.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1970 on: December 16, 2020, 09:57:15 AM »

Thank you Both👍
         Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1971 on: December 16, 2020, 02:26:35 PM »

We had planned to visit Mrs T's mum now abandoned, locally 900+ NHS staff off sick, we go back into lockdown on 28th.
Very High infection rate locally,  Christmas is a no go stay at home for us.
Stay safe folk.

Kidwelly South Wales
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1972 on: December 22, 2020, 03:12:27 PM »

A CHRISTMAS STORY.
The early morning pale watery sunshine, has improved to a full on icy glare. It is doing the business beautifully.
   Freda must be reading my derogatory posts. All my bletering about abandoning her young after 3 days is on hold. She is now turning up at our feeding stations  with a very aggressive tiny Robin and her reserved hubby. Freda is easily recognisable not as tame as before unless she is very hungry, however the kid is very bold. It's  nice to see them. We are missing 2 kittens. Our latest white cat had two very glossy sleek kits, we came back from shopping in town and noticed that her rear end was covered in mud and that she was visibly upset. She lay in the middle of our driveway until I unlocked the gates and moved the car towards the house. It did occur to me that she was probably in a fight but they are always fighting and ripping lumps out of each other. We have not seen the kits since.
  This place is rather sore on cats. She gets well fed but never responds to sweet talk  even from Mrs Biff. The hounds heard nothing. It might be the council bailiff who gathers ip the cats but I doubt it. You would need a 10 man squad to catch that lot.
 Yesterday, I did an early morning shop in Aldi. In early, wearing my mask and visor, everything listed and mapped out for a speedy in and out job, there in the Isle next to the milk were a group of 40years  olds, chatting away at the top of their voices. Some wearing their masks properly and others with them pulled down. I grabbed my items and headed off. There were plenty of empty tills which was good. It is not my job to give out, however when a Sister in the Hosp decided to start giving out to other nurses , using the back of my bench to swing on, I got up and quietly told her to go and get a mask." I don't  understand" she said.
  So I put her in the picture in no uncertain terms and she stormed off in a huff. I use no inappropriate language but left her in no doubt that she and the 3 other nurses that she was giving out to were acting against everything we are being told to do. I have cancelled 2 other appointments since. I always believed until now that you go to the hospital to improve your health not to catch a virus that can kill you and those you love. It is quite a shock to watch patients parking up their cars and getting out with masks in their hands like me, All walking towards the Hospital either wearing masks or carrying them in their hands. Then inside  you see these airheads, trotting about with no masks.
 The worst thing about this is that I have history here,  At the beginning of summer, I was given an appointment to appear at a certain spot in the hospital, at a certain time.
  Outside te consultant room at 2,10 precisely. The doc would come out immediately and draw me into the safety  of  the consultants room.. Lucky me?? You would think.
  Oh not at all, The nurses who had previously been charming and helpful, were now angry bunch like the Legion Of Mary catching me in  Brothel. Maybe my fly was open, Maybe a few of them were related to my X. Finally after about an hour of being bandied about from pillar to post, I ended up outside the consultants door. There was a group of between 6 and 8 nurses hanging bout outside the consultants door, but they were arguing with a member of the administration who was trying calm them. So I am sitting there like an idiot getting these dirty looks and quite certain that there is a case of mistaken identity going down.   I Get up after another 20 minutes of this nonsense and heads off walking down the corridor towards home.
  Then my name rang out, So I trudged back towards her door but it was not my consultant. It was this other tall blond whose face was streaked with tears and she was visibly angry. As she turned away from me to look at her monitor, he began talking and me being a right old deafy,
told he, "Excuse me but I am quite deaf" which resulted in her turning around quickly and roaring into my face.
   Not good,  she calmed down an wrote me a prescription,  dithered,  blagged, She knew I had  had an eye opp, but could not work out what was what. She did take my pressure and they were correct. I get these checked independently.I thanked her profusely and dashed off home.
 My mother was a nurse, as was my sister , my cousin, my aunts and my wife. Nurses are good. I know Nurses are good. It so happens that the first patient to die of the virus had just passed away a couple of hours before I walked into the Hospital. Hence the panic,  the Mutiny. They had no masks,  no protection and in walks Joseph Soap wearing a nice clean mask with a proper filter..Am I lucky that they did not  try and euthanase me and pinch my mask. Joking aside, They pulled the same trick on me 2 months later. Turn up at exactly 2, 15 and the Doc will take you in immediate.of course not but at least this time the nurses were civil. Still no consultant, just a nice Belgian girl who took pressures. The consultant was in the next room but refused to see me. I had watched him earlier  walking up and down the full length of the corridors, chin on chest and the weight of the whole world on his shoulders, He had more problems  than I had. His boss was the one who had operated on my eye. She had disappeared  of the face of the earth an being a world leader in her field, every one was afraid to touch me.She has been missing since February last.
  Goodness Biff, what a story,, EH,,?
  So that nice Sister who leaned that bit too close to me, left me wit no choice but to let her know that she was doing wrong..I have not been back since, I got a few appointments, sure, but I phone up and leave a message that I have a cough,  They phone me back to check and I
 cough down the phone. Probably when she puts the phone down, she tells her sidekick , "cheasuss, Mary O,Typhoid  we keep missing that old bholloks from Donegal. We must try harder."
I had a timing belt and pump delivered for Mrs Biffs little Clio. I have made room in the shed for it. I can look down now. My right eye dont go out of focus as much as it did in February, I can enjoy fitting the belt now.  There are 4 stitches holding the inside of the eye together. 2 on either side.. I can now hold my head looking down without my eye misbehaving,  which is good.
  Before I went down to the hospital last, I visited my optician and he took the pressures., yes there were 4 stitches in there. This time, I was promised a proper consultant, she took the pressures, OK. then she said that there were 2 stitches just hanging there doing nothing ,
 Oh I know, since February? So She removed them like magic, what skill? She did have a slight  fearful  look,
   A month later, when I visited my optician, we were delighted to see that my pressures were stsying down with 50% less eye drops  ( eye drops are bad stuff).
  But I still have 4 stitches in my right eye., where they should be. The other 2 magical ones that were just hanging there I'll remain a mystery..I am a little sad about that.
    I had over 20 micro stitches removed from my right eye
 Most were removed in the days following the opp. The few that had to be removed 2 weeks later were growing into the eye and required some effort from my original consultant to remove them...She was incredibly good.
  To remove ones just hanging there for 6 months,, well,,,    But why???. Thats the mystery.
    Biff

« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:16:52 AM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1973 on: December 26, 2020, 12:21:18 PM »

Bella is busy outside,
             And heating water inside. She will be at her strongest around 3pm and easing off at 8pm. We have a nice 300watt load which keeps the blades turning and prevents them from stopping completely. Many years ago,
 We had a member in Cornwall who lowered his turbine before a storm, He tied the blades but when the storm abated, he discovered that the wind had ripped 2 of the blades off. As long as the blades are spinning they are cutting a path through the air and capable of holding their own but when they are stopped and facing the wind with full blade width, then they are just as liable to be damaged as any other item that is sticking up, unprotected. Heavy rain is imminent so that will keep our baby cool. Water cooled wind turbine. They do get warm braking.
    Mrs Biff,s little Clio is in bits in the shed. Work is progressing slowly. So far so good, I have not encountered in real obstacles. Locking the flywheel and removing the pulley nut was simple enough, both the tensioner and pump are well shot. However the belt  though brittle and glazed, and almost transparent in places, has not frayed. There is no way of identifying it, the writing has long disappeared.
  I will eat a hell of a lot less for my next few rounds as I grapple with fitting the new pump, tensioner and belt. I discovered that rolling around the shed floor  and leaning down into the Clio engine bay are not good for the contents of the tummy and the tummy itself.
   Back in March last, I could not have done this kind of work. I could not do any kind of work that entailed, me looking down, the stitches that held the inside of my right eye together had barely succeeded in holding things together. I had been told that I could work normally but that was not the case my eye behaved like a crazy zoom lens, with sickening effect and temporary loss of sight in both. Unnerving stuff. Things are not too bad now. All I have to do now is stay away from the Christmas Pudden and the Chocolate Gateaux until the Clio fires up.
   We are back in a strict lockdown and oddly enough, I am not bothered in the slightest. I am glad. We don't  have a chance unless we hold the line and follow the plan. The vaccine is working  so we just have to be patient.
   Biff
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 01:11:35 PM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1974 on: December 26, 2020, 03:18:53 PM »

H,mmmm
     This is pretty rough, I should have lowered the tower  but it is a little late now. I can barely open our front door.
  Our stove is shut down but still the lot gets sucked up the chimney. The forecast was giving this as a breeze of 36mph but I reckon it is 60mph at least. Our tower is bending even with 8 guys. Fortunately the wind is supposed to start easing of around 5 pm.
  It's bad all along th west coast right down to Cork.
   Keep safe folks
      Biff.
  Strewth ,,  I just discovered a parallel  Met Eireann forecast  that gives the wind force for the next 2 hours. There is a small circle on the map with the figure 9 inside it , right over us on the map, for the next 2 hours, Aaarrrggghh, it is just like the old days.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 05:05:24 PM by biff » Logged

Nickel2

« Reply #1975 on: December 27, 2020, 10:18:22 AM »

After the last SW blow, I tied what was left of shed No.1 roof down with blue BT rope and bits of wood to spread the load.
https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32404.msg364001.html#msg364001
I only have your best interests at heart!

EpEver 4210A at 24v
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1976 on: December 27, 2020, 12:47:27 PM »

Thank you most graciously N2,
  I had a walk about the estate, checked the livestock, ,the Banana bushes, the pineapple Trees and all is well.
 Our banks are full to the gills of amps, Our tanks are full of piping hot water. The house may be toasty  but it is still rather draughty outside. There is still loads of amps left in this wind. It is a day of repose, contentment and contemplation, beside the stove.
         Biff,
   Of course, the storm is far from finished,  it's now kicked off again and set to peak at 10pm. Not quite as strong as the first blow but still dangerous.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 06:55:47 PM by biff » Logged

Nickel2

« Reply #1977 on: December 28, 2020, 08:05:25 AM »

Update on No1 shed roof:
The bits of roof between the blue BT rope caught the wind and broke apart.  Sad

EpEver 4210A at 24v
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1978 on: December 28, 2020, 08:22:48 AM »

This is quite a storm. N2,
          We had a calm break of about 40 minutes yesterday and then it got going again, peaking sometime around 2 to 3am,  Around 6am, Mrs Biff said that the house controller was acting strange, The wind was still below 20mph but the Turbine was spinning freely and not dumping, The
house controller was reading 133vdc but not moving, we were on the old bank only. I covered up and raced down to the outside control house and switched over to the new bank and controller and immediately everything came under control with fans going mad and breathing hard.
  We are now winding up for another serious blow which is supposed to last for another 4 hours, the storm itself is supposed to blow till 10pm this evening. The rain is very heavy with sleet and snow forecast.
   Loads more outages across the country, Kerry seems to have suffered a lot of trees getting blown over, Bella is not giving up easy.
      Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1979 on: December 28, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »

That was a bit wet and breezy, thankfully no damage done. Lasted from about 10pm to 3am before abating  surrender

Kidwelly South Wales
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 130 131 [132] 133 134 135 136   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: