navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 316297 times)
renewablejohn

« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2015, 11:15:46 AM »

Just lost 3 bays of a 15 bay polytunnel. Was going to replace this year anyway so no real damage done.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2015, 02:21:52 PM »

Sorry to hear that R/J,
                     Very rough here as well.
                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2015, 11:18:02 PM »

Very rough weather here at the moment.
                                      Heavy hail and very violent gusts that would knock you off your feet. Great lecky output though and lecky fires very welcome.
             Refurbished turbine cruising through it,without a bother. I hate the thought of that heavy hail ,pitting the leading edges of my nice new blades,, Roll Eyes
                                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
AndrewE

« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2015, 09:05:37 PM »

This one didn't survive it...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-30667411
A
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2015, 09:13:28 PM »

Wow, What a mess,
                      It would be nearly impossible to tell what happened to that one.
                                                                         Biff

clockmanFR

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2015, 09:20:56 PM »

Looks like the tower tube has crumpled a few meters of the base?  1.39 in the vid.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 09:22:55 PM by clockmanFR » Logged

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
AndrewE

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2015, 09:39:17 PM »

The neighbour describes a day of battering noise.  Could it have been bearing or brake failure causing oscillation which overwhelmed the strength of the tower?  It looks to have folded at the bottom rather than snapped...

Unlike this one, which was rattling in the morning but down by the afternoon: I guess it had work-hardened the pole/tube base as there was a bright snapped-off fracture visible all round.

A
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2015, 07:54:39 AM »

We are getting a fair old shot of wind this morning,
                               Two separate winds are coming together above our area,from the south and from the west so maybe this is why our turbine is running max. It is not a problem,
             Today I return to the stores by the sea,that sells everything from needles to an anchors, Where trawlers that fish the antarctic and the arctic come home to get their refits.
       Where the language can be anything from Russian to Korean and the feisty Grace lost her two uncles to multiple hangmen,
            MY humble needs are few,a special bearing and tight fitting cap for it.I have already sorted the method of restraint.
             I may take a pic or two. These are the kinds of stores that you dream about.
                                                                 Biff

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 07:56:26 AM by biff » Logged

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2015, 10:25:31 PM »

I've just been looking at < xcweather.co.uk >, the forecast map shows some very tight isobars over Scotland tomorrow night; 60mbars difference from north to south of the British isles. Batten-down tight, and the best of luck to all up there!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:28:07 PM by Nickel2 » Logged

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2015, 10:55:06 PM »

It will be very stormy around midnight,Tomorrow night,big wind this time.
                                             Biff

baker

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2015, 11:10:11 AM »

last night
out of the blue a gust of wind appeared with out any warning about 9 pm
it was calm before and after
the turbine noise brought it to my attention/ trying to yaw in each direction to catch up with the wind direction
this was a one off  power full gust ,and the tree tossed around in circles

first time I seen this, luckey had everything right
baker

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2015, 12:01:51 PM »

Strong wind here last night as well,
                                 It is kind of warming up for midnight tonight. Gusts of 80mph on the way, I lowered our turbine and its blades are tied now.
        Guys need to be reset and everything in general checked over. New guy set-up better to work with and new winch is good.
                                                             Biff

clockmanFR

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2015, 12:18:06 PM »

I trust Paul will have his exterior WC Shed well secured this time around, it has a fantastic view, but needs some securing down......

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2015, 12:47:45 PM »

I think he has the pan strung to the sterling board floor with high tensile bull wire,
                  So if you see this tartan clad figure,surfing the north sea, sitting on a potty with his drawers down round his ankles,you will know who it is.
                                                         Biff

martin

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »

We've just had a positively silly amount of rain down here in the soft south - drove up this lane, an hour later this is what I found when I returned (around 3' deep) - entailing a long detour...... facepalm

* flood.jpg (270.6 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 262 times.)

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: