navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 121   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 307263 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2015, 03:11:17 PM »

Blimey, hard times when I lived in the soft SE we had a thermostat to set the temperature of the rain! norfolk

Hold onto your hats Paul and Biff looks a nasty blow coming your way.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
clockmanFR

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2015, 07:14:50 PM »

Found it, the loo with a view, well sort of......

* a008_thumb10.jpg (104.4 KB, 716x538 - viewed 338 times.)

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
DaveSnafu

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2015, 08:06:29 PM »

I threw a ratchet strap over mine to stop that happening.

Proven wt2500,24v batteries,running house,navitron solar thermal integrated tank, 10 x 210w eclipse italia pv, wbs,
camillitech

« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »

I've just returned from a trip to 'civilization' and they're all speaking of the 'great storm' that's on the  way. The checkout chap in the local Co op, the lifeboat coxwain who also manages the local builders merchant, the petrol station attendant and even the receptionist at ' Ferguson MacSween and Stewart'. That will be my local shark, sorry solicitor. The school is closed tomorrow and everyone bar Hamish the coxswain is convinced that 'the end is nigh', me I'd be inclined to believe Hamish of the 'RNLIB Stanley Watson Barker'. Can't remember his exact words but it was along the lines of nothing to worry about.

One thing for sure, if it does arrive we'll face the full brunt of it here at Torran

http://www.uniquescotland.com/raasayschool/index.html

our new home until Easter.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2015, 08:18:07 PM »

Bad here at the moment,
                          Net connection keeps going down,even telly pics is impossible to watch.
            when telly pic is this bad,,its force 10 Grin
                                                   Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2015, 08:40:30 PM »

Does the picture keep blowing to one side of the screen? Wink

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2015, 08:52:42 PM »

Not quite N2,
            It blows back and forth from side to side but the men in their boats are having a horrible time with the headwind and the floor in front of the telly is wet. whistlie
                                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2015, 08:58:03 PM »

C/M.
      There was someone in that toilet when it blew over. Their trousers are still hanging on the back of the door or is it a wetsuit.?
            Just think of the difficulty one would have trying to get out of your wetsuit to obey the call of nature in that little loo.

Biff                   

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2015, 09:01:53 PM »

I've never been out in a force 10. Been sea-fishing in a 5.
A couple of years ago we had a low pass through the south coast. I was in Pompey at the time; the sky itself just roared, I could not see the tops of the waves for the spray; I leaned on the wind just to see if I could. So, what better time to go up the Spinnaker tower? It rocked gently and slowly.  I could see the ground swaying through the glass floor...

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
clockmanFR

« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2015, 09:08:26 PM »

Yes Biff I think you are correct.

Probably one of Paul's Man's young lady friends, who was caught short................  Grin

Nothing more flattering than a wet suit.    whistlie

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
camillitech

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2015, 09:14:25 PM »

Nothing more flattering than a wet suit.    whistlie

Well, apart from riggers boots  hysteria  hysteria

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
gravyminer

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2015, 11:09:57 PM »

At the height of the gale, the harbourmaster radioed a coast guard and asked him to estimate the wind speed.
He replied he was sorry, but he didn't have a gauge.
However, if it was any help, the wind had just blown his Land Rover off the cliff.

( an oldie from the Aberdeen Evening Express)

gravyminer
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2015, 01:19:32 AM »

It was bad enough there for a while,
                                       It has been worse,much worse.I got the dawgs out for their toilet and they did  not hang about. Old Nat does not mind the wind or rain but Diese looks to me for assurance and when he gets the nod he is off boring into the breeze, The home run was a tail wind to which they both objected too Grin. With Diese swinging around to see who was pushing his big tail so hard.We were glad to get back inside the house. It is still a force 8/9 with scary gusts you have to give way too. It is set to lull a bit and then get going again before noon today. Everything seems to be ok. Our old tv cable was ripped out of its clips and was flapping across the roof,hitting the velux window a few times.A stack of heavy scaffold boards were scattered about a small area but nothing serious(I hope)
   I know there will be serious damage further afield. I hope everyone else is ok.! good luck,                   
                                                                                                         Biff

Billy
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2015, 10:09:28 AM »

How's the turnip biffffff?
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2015, 12:12:13 PM »

Hi Billy,
       Our turnip is fine. I am going out to untie the blades after lunch. I am glad I lowered it. The guys needed adjusting and last night about 11.30pm,t got a bit scary.
       Once I walked the dogs and had a hot drink,I slept like a log. The wind is getting up again and there are several big blows on the way. Our turnip can supply plenty of power from its lowered position.
            I have been out and about this morn and no sign of any damage. I think everyone was very well prepared.
                                                               Biff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 121   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: