navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 129   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 379666 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2015, 02:31:26 PM »

Back in the middle of it again,
                             There is a good healthy force 8 blowing out there. I was going to untie the blades but I could not even stand in the spot so I thought it better to give it another few hours.
     The guys are holding it from side to side, The tower is tied to the resting trestle,The winch is taking the weight and the hub is a good 10 ft off the ground.
       But by gum it is rough.
                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
supremetwo

« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2015, 02:46:14 PM »

Looks even worse in the Raasay area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-30726678
140 mph recorded at the summit of Cairngorm.

camillitech

« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2015, 10:25:18 PM »

Looks even worse in the Raasay area.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-30726678
140 mph recorded at the summit of Cairngorm.

It must have been bad through the night right enough,

the wife's old hen hoose got squashed

and the garden wall collapsed  Cry

https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2015/01/09/a-touch-of-willy-willy/

Luckily it's not my problem any more as I've sold the house but I feel sorry for the new owners, still, I have been on a 'dry stane' dyking course and the old Proven 2.5kW continued belting out the amps throughout.

These two trees came down within 100m of the nine year old turbine that has been lowered around nine times.

Apparently it's supposed to be worse tomorrow  sh*tfan

Take care peeps.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
camillitech

« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2015, 10:28:16 PM »

And CM, if you think you've got problems with hand grenades, I've got a mine in my garden  hysteria  hysteria Sorry, my neighbours garden  Grin

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Billy
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2015, 11:55:12 PM »

You're only supposed to blow the bl00dy doors off. Grin
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2015, 08:56:15 AM »

This is simply not acceptable,
                              I am going to sit down and draught a letter to my TD, (mp).This wind blowing is totally uncalled for and if the government took measures to regulate it,there would be enough to keep all out turbines happy throughout the year.
       But it were rough last night, Diese is a little sensitive to the wind once it starts flapping the letterbox flaps x 2. So he will come up and tell me about it. Then when he goes to do his toilet,the wind waits until he is comfortable and tries to blow him over. He don,t like that at all at all. Old Nats just soldiers on and it would take a lot more than a little wind to blow her off course.
        But it is rough out there still. You know it is bad when it is able to blow you over if you don,t duck out off the road.
       It is going to be very hard to duck out of the road next wed/thurs .We have a real mother of all storms landing on us. The dark red is inland and the purple is just off our coast. So those are hurricane winds without doubt. Hopefully the pattern might change before it hits us. There is no point in sending up our turbine until things settle down a bit or else give Paul 100euros for his Proven and hope he has left a decent set of those troublesome springs in it.
                                                            Biff
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:57:28 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2015, 04:52:01 PM »

Aye, worse today, or at least more visible, another tree with a split trunk through the day, this time an ancient hazel, probably only 16" in diameter but that's probably over a hundred and fifty years here. We're freezing in a draughty old schoolhouse burning half a bag of coal and 15lts of kerro a day  snow Meanwhile the old house is roasting and even the caravan up at the new house toasty with all the electric heaters going. Put a new set of springs on the Proven a couple of weeks ago for the new owners, the first ones I've ever bought. In fact it's the first money I've spent on it in 9 years, well apart from grease and cable ties.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2015, 10:16:15 PM »

The wind eased off around 3pm for a little while,
                                          I untied the blades and made myself scarse, There are no weights on the tail to make it face up to the wind so when the extreme gusts push too hard,the tail lifts and the blades gently tilt parallel to the ground, a form of horizontal furling,if you like. It is not ideal but it works well for me.  Despite the storm,the rain and hail,we also had brilliant strong sunshine and the bank was well up before the blades were untied but a short while later we were up in the dump load voltage.
   Some of the strongest gusts hit us around 5pm,just when it was coming on dark. They were long and ferocious ,like express trains meeting at full speed. Everything was going mad. The place is littered with bits of broken branches. The turbine was fine and was putting out between 4 and 7 amps x 138v at that time, The bank is now showing 131v on the house controller so it has eased off or the wind has
 has shifted round to the south west, I am not going out to look Grin..
                                                                             Biff

camillitech

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2015, 11:07:09 PM »

Just realized it was a willow.

Billy
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2015, 11:12:35 PM »

Peace at last, a weld broke on the panel mount last night.  The one that alters the altitude, squawk, squeak, squawk all flippin' night.  Peak gust was 53.2mph and the boat was a rockin' and a rollin' when the tide was in, right queasy I was, might of been the beer mind......  vomit2

Nothing like biff and paul like but enough for the misty marshes.   surrender
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2015, 10:11:12 AM »

These are rather prolonged storms,
                      We are having a bit of a break at the moment with as steady force 6 and big heaves every 10 minutes. The real blow is set to return after dinner. I slept like a log last night and had a little lie in. I normally leave the bedroom door slightly ajar and if anything goes wrong or any thing is happening outside,Diese will come up and wake me. He don,t like the big gusts at all and so when a real one comes screaming past the house,he likes to tell me about it by bumping the bed,while he lies beside it on the floor.He was 69kgs 2 years ago and you really feel it when he bumps the bed,He normally sleeps in the hall/porch.If I did not make him lie in the floor by the bed,he would be up and down the stairs all night. So last night I shut the bedroom door and there he was at 9.15am snoring up against the outside of it.I often tell old Nat that she is the only proper dog in the place and that her boyfriend is a lamb in sheeps clothing.She agrees 100% and always keeps her place next to the tall window looking up the driveway.When she give out,there is something to bark about.But all the same the big lump is her Romeo who would do anything for her.
This morning our turbine was cruising and the bank sitting in 131v. I like my microwave porrige Grin. I was hoping to get a lull to tie the blades before Thursday arrives.
  She herself has missed much of this,taking the airs in Kildare but will be home before the big one on Thursday if it don,t snow in the meantime.
                                                         Biff

« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:14:42 AM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2015, 10:29:17 AM »

Still rough here but easing off,
                         We still had express trains at 9am. I have checked the maps and the red is pushing around, past Malin ,heading for Raasay. Raasay will be in the red by noon once again. Our turbine eased off for a while overnight when the wind switched round to the south for a few hours but now it is coming in from the west and our turbine is still clocking up the amps.
 I am sure it makes a difference but our array seems to channel the wind towards the lowered turbine head,increasing the output. I did  not intend it like that and at the time of construction,thought that it might detract from the lowered turbine,s performance.But I have noticed now that any winds from the west( or the north) even light breezes seem to have an increased force on the turbine. What ever kind of a spot it is,you would not need a tower there or just high enough to be safe.
                                                                                   Biff

camillitech

« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »

No let up at all here Biff, roofing sheet came off the boat shed yesterday so I'm going to have a go at repairing that today. Luckily it's only a 6' sheet and not very high off the ground, even so I'm not taking any chances. A concrete skoo (dunno what you call em in Irish but it's that casting on the gable ends to keep the slates on) came off the the house next door yesterday. It's in bits on the track with a few slates, was probably made with beach sand 150 years ago so not the best of jobs, but even so pretty scary.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2015, 05:30:59 PM »

Our storm is getting getting started,
                            It is a rough gusty force 8 already, set to peak between midnight and 6am tomorrow,
   Baker, If you are reading this,take note,the purple is circling round your area,offshore, with the arrows tight together. Raasay and Paul are getting very much the same as us,except the purple is very close to our shoreline within the next 12 hours. Everyone,locally is worried about this one.
                                                                                                      Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2015, 05:38:11 PM »

It seems Paul,
             According to the news.,that Scotland is getting more than its fair share of storms this time.
  If the Skoo was lifted off during the storm,it means that the whole roofing timbers must have been on the verge of taking off at one point. That roof needs bags of sand and ropes going up the front and over the roof and down the back with the bags of sand trapped in between the roof and the ropes. I guess it is a bit late in the day to mention it but bags of sand are really effective.
  But maybe this time it might be different because the winds are coming from a different angle.
                                                                                         Biff

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 ... 129   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: