navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 323318 times)
clockmanFR

« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2015, 06:22:07 PM »

Both this morning and evening Shipping Forcast on LW R4,.......

5 Up North areas........."Gale force 10, gusting Hurricane force 12".......

Crikey Paul, do hold on to something solid. ?

Everything is possible, just give me TIME.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2015, 06:53:15 PM »

There is a marginal benefit to all this windiness.
Mr Weather tells us that the jet-stream has recently been at about 265 mph. Trans-Atlantic flights from the States have been arriving up to 90 minutes early, saving lots of fuel, and matching some of the times Concord used to achieve.  I suppose it would also be quicker to fly to the states with the jet-stream via / over the North-pole, rather than use a great circle.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2015, 07:19:14 PM »

Biff, Paul do hold tight and stay safe.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
clockmanFR

« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2015, 09:28:43 AM »

The last few hours here in Normandy we have had gusts of 100kmh, and I see Tod that Finistere area has a Government weather warning of winds of 110kmh.

Taking my 3 boys to school bus this morning, I had to dodge around fallen trees blocking the roads. But this time of year I have some serious 25mm dia rope in the boot of my very old Toyota saloon car and a Tifor winch with 12mm wire hawser, so winching one self out of problems or winching school buses out of holes is fairly normal here.

The Parisians in there 4 x 4's are the worse, but I have better things to do than help them out of their troubles, as they drive far to fast for local conditions. As the local Policeman said, "Madam it is not the fault of the road or mud conditions, here you must drive carefully"  Grin

I switched off the Tracker sun searching circuits this morning, as the wind was very strong, but its fortunate that the winds blowing from the normal south west hit the Trackers edge on when thay are parked facing East East South.

Turbines dumping an average of 3kW all night, in the pic one of my dump controllers is flashing like mad, that's the thing with Wind Turbines in stormy winds the power coming from them is RAW power. The back staircase in the main house, where the 8kW of 50vdc dump load heaters live on steel portable cradles, is like a Sauna this morning.  Grin 

* P1151063a.jpg (158.25 KB, 983x737 - viewed 256 times.)

* P1151064a.jpg (133.59 KB, 963x722 - viewed 266 times.)

Billy
« Reply #94 on: January 15, 2015, 09:54:21 AM »

Strewth, mate, you have large mushrumps agrowin down your way.
clockmanFR

« Reply #95 on: January 15, 2015, 10:04:29 AM »

We do have lots of delicacies, Puff balls,  hysteria but that particular white round object is a Football dragged down the field by the 'Dawg'.

Inside the house at the moment, its like standing on the Railway platform while a 125 train is constantly going past, any moment now I expect Tod to fly by and ask for Addlestrop.  Smiley

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #96 on: January 15, 2015, 11:07:30 AM »

Its quite rough here as well chaps hysteria
                                I went out open the gates at the head of the driveway about 10 mins ago and thought it better to leave well enough alone and get back inside as quickly as possible. Our net had been up and down like a yo-yo,
                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »

I kept our turbine tied all night,
                               While the wind was blowing from the South and hitting the back of the blades,There was a possibility that perhaps some debris might get carried down from the tree areas and strike the moving blades. This morning the wind had moved around to the west and I untied the blades during a short lull. It took off immediately like a bird and is now dishing out a peaceful 6amps+ which will increase as the wind swings further round.The dawgs were only too glad to get their business done and get back inside.Some of those gusts are really serious.
   There is a tree about 100yards away,an 80fter . It started to lean 2 days ago and now it is swaying at 10 o clock. The good news is..It is not our,s
                                                                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2015, 12:03:57 PM »

...Nice Breeze , down here  .... my undersized China Wind Gti is , for the first time , quite warm ....

Worst is over  garden

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2015, 02:20:10 PM »

It has eased off here a bit,
                              But still some serious wind, a force 6+ with big gusts every 10mins. Our bank is sitting at 134v. I have no news of damage been done anywhere yet but Mrs Biff will come back with the whole story before dark, Grin. I don,t intend to send up our turbine for a day or so,until it calms down a tad more. I have the final adjustments to make top the guys and I certainly do not want any big gusts happening in the middle of that job Shocked.
  I have our 5kva silent running geni to service. The cables to the batt are much too light,so I will renew the pair. Our 3.8kva diesel did the trick during the storm and was economical as usual. I am relocating the geni to a place where it will be well out of the road and have better shelter from the elements.It has got to look very old in a short time but I think it has degraded from lack of use more than anything else. It don,t do them any good to have them sitting there for 6 months at a time,covered in weeds,then suddenly turn the starter and put them under load @ 3,000 rpms for just 4 hours at a time.
  It will get a change of oil and the filter cleaned, then a good 6 hours running + half a cup of petrol in the full tank and 2 bars on the lecky fire,that should get rid of the deposits on the rings.
                                                                              Biff

camillitech

« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »

The first time I forgot to pack the chainsaw and a strop and I was confronted by a tree across the road this morning on the way to work  fume Pulled it out of the way no bother with a 10 ton strap but was pretty miffed at myself. The old Proven has been belting it out for weeks now and the house isn't even occupied, I've enough confidence in my system to leave the whole lot unattended even in this weather. I just pop in and have a look at the meters in the shed on my way to and from work.

Dead boring I know but it saves a lot of time watching weather forecasts and I sleep at nights.

Always meant to ask Biff, how do you charge up a two ton 120v battery with a 5kVa genny? Old Cyril is a 6kVa and he's pretty much flat out for the bulk phase of the 5 or 6 hours it needs to charge my measly half ton 48v bank.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2015, 04:34:01 PM »

Very good question Paul.
                       At the moment I have no charger as such and have not used one for years. I did have a 120volt PMG hooked up to the bank ,driven by an electric motor powered off the geni. Sounds very complicated but it was a very simple affair, i just stuck the three wires of the PMG into another controller which was directly connected to the battery. It worked fine until the motor melted.
  Our needs are few apart from the microwave in the morning, We have big reserves, There is always an 800ah x 12v bank in reserve and then there is the shed reserve which is a 400ah x 48v forklift.
 We work with the power coming in. Normally these reserves are never touched but we had to use the 800ah bank this time because our big bank went down to 122v and I don,t like to do that.
   I boost the bank by disconnecting one of the immersions in the house and leave it for a few hours or less @ 146/7/ That is my idea of an equalising charge hysteria but it works for me. It could be a question of the deaf leading the blind but the bank has been going for years now and is going better now than ever,especially since we got the PV. (almost 4kw)
                                                                                          Biff
  don,t forget that the turbine can still supply the house with all our lecky needs in its lowered position,like at the moment.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 04:36:11 PM by biff » Logged

camillitech

« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2015, 04:39:20 PM »

Could you not hook up your freshly overhauled YZ to an engine Biff.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Billy
« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2015, 04:45:37 PM »

Don't get rid of all those batteries biffffff,  Essex will sink if you do.  We're still sinking after the last ice age and I wouldn't want you to make it any worse.  Still I'll be all right.   Grin

Paul, will he need to leave the blades on to cool it?   sh*tfan
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2015, 04:55:27 PM »

Yes Paul,
          It would not be a problem. In fact all my bits and bobs for that project are ready to rumble. I have the PMG already geared down with a 6" pully and a lister that bangs away at 750rpms, The lister is very easy started but I still prefer the key. The only thing I need to get is the frame to put it into and a fan to cool the PMG. I have 3 different small listers in good condition.I also have a nest of the Chinese Cangfas but they like to run at 3,000,however I had one adjusted to run at 1500 rpms and it seemed to be fine. Not too much vibration but a tad noisy Grin.
    My original idea was to fit it to a remote 5kw job, but I am still studying that one.
                                                                   Biff

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 04:58:29 PM by biff » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: