navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 323281 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »

Thanks Tod,
            It was just very bad management on my part. She herself says,it would have sailed through these latest gales without a bother but there you are,! Instead I took a chance and wrecked the lot.
       Yes,,I will be back with a new plan,,
                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Billy
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2014, 06:14:06 PM »

What any bits biff, the wee 300 will be coming down, soon as they've build the new one for me.   whistlie
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2014, 06:32:42 PM »

Billy,
      That is extremely kind and considerate of you. I think the big EU sticker got blown off mine and I am wondering if your,s still has one. I am not trying to cheat anyone  but I would feel much safer with that sticker on the turnip. Tongue
                                Biff
  Wow,,Our mobile phone signal has just gone down.The weather is really wicked outside. I hope Paul is OK. His internet connection might be knocked out as well.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:44:35 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Billy
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2014, 06:59:25 PM »

I know a good website where you can download and print off a nice new sticker if it will make you feel better.

On this side where the little winds blow all has gone menacingly quiet.  Even Mrs B has taken her hard hat off when she goes under the blades of doom.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2014, 07:11:12 PM »

It is still blowing hard here,force 8,
                         The deep red looks like it is heading off into the north sea but Paul still has light red but it is clearing up a bit sooner than expected.
   The sea is really rough around Antrim.Some of the biggest waves ever recorded off Portrush. Shocked
                                                                                Biff

Billy
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2014, 07:19:31 PM »

Are the waves blowing in off the Atlantic and round the top or up from the S'West, or both?  I don't like Atlantic waves, fear me they do.   help
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »

Both at the moment but it is a changing scene,
                            This whole weather pattern can change very quickly.
                                                     Biff

martin

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2014, 08:59:35 PM »

I don't like Atlantic waves, fear me they do
........ I'll tell you a little story...........I spent quite a lot of time in, on and around boats in the 70's, and lived on one for a while, I was used to small boats and the way they rode, and for a while ran my friends Mitchell 23' as a fishing party boat - my forte with a bunch of moaners was to anchor just off the point of Beachy Head (where you told them it was a wonderful fishing mark), and go down in the cabin and do a fry-up - usually it took 20 minutes, they'd turn green and would shamefacedly ask me to take them straight back to dry land......... hysteria
But Neptune wreaked ghastly kharmic revenge on me - I booked to cross the Atlantic on a Polish Ocean Lines Boat, the "Stefan Batory" (which was rumoured to be spying on the allied Atlantic sea traffic in 1976 when I went) - we just get past Land's End, and for the first time in my life I felt and was terribly, terribly seasick - for days on end - somehow I existed on 200 Polish ciggies and a bottle of Scotch (the only treatment offered was an apparent vast injection of something untranslatable, which apparently wiped you out for days, and was probably administered by Rosa Klebb in the "Szpital", which I decided to forgo....)  facepalm - Then one night the charming Polish steward came into the cabin, and screwed the porthole cover down - he explained carefully we were about to go through a hurricane.........could it get any worse? Over the next few hours it got a lot lumpier, and they put the stabilisers out, which imparted a horrible juddering to the whole boat - then (as I later learnt), fearing for the safety of the stabilisers, they retracted them - in a few minutes, I was back off Beachy Head in a force 7 in a 23-footer! I recovered almost instantly due to the familiar movement of bucking and plunging...... Having not eaten for days I made my gingerly way to the dining room, and looked at the menu - the first item was translated as "roast turbot in lard" Lips Sealed  I managed a few bits of bread and some plonk, wrapped my legs round the table support, and engaged in conversation with a couple of sheepish Canadians. As those who go to sea know, you get used to the natural rhythm of the boat, and there was that pregnant pause that says "oh sh*t", here comes a biggie" - I clung on ferociously to my glass of plonk, and the stanchion with my legs as the ship lurched what felt like 90 degrees to starboard - diners, dinner, waiting staff and food all went airborne, and someone's spaghetti ended up adhering to the wall....... When they resumed their seats the other diners were somewhat downcast, so I lifted my glass in a toast to one of the ladies and grinned "at least I didn't spill the wine" who very flatteringly remarked "my you English are so cooool" (made my trip)
When daylight came I went up as high as I could get and still see out forwards  - never seen anything like it in my life - one minute all you can see is sky, then you're confronted with a seeming never-ending mountain of water straight ahead as you plunge down into it - then the plucky little liner hauls herself up for the next one...........

I've stayed away from big floating things ever since (apart from a few car ferries) -and as Billy says, angry Atlantic seas have to be experienced to be believed......................
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 09:17:07 PM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
camillitech

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2014, 09:17:27 PM »

I had a mate just the same, he was fine in anything smaller than 30', stick him aboard anything much bigger and he'd turn himself inside out before leaving harbour  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
camillitech

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2014, 09:26:14 PM »

Which one is you Martin,

hysteria  hysteria

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
martin

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2014, 10:11:52 PM »

The one leaning over the back of the lifeboat chundering........... vomit2

They were strange times, as I previously alluded, many people confirmed that they too had suspicions about the Stefan Batory's "sidelines" in the cold war - the out of bounds area at the top of the ship was bristling with an awful lot of radio and radar aerials (far more than an average small liner's usual quota), and the crew were in several distinct strata - the "officers" - young hard-faced over-smart b*stards who pretended not to speak English, but whose ears did a lot of flapping - the Polish "workers" were obviously in fear and trembling of them, a few "polished" senior officers who did the glad-handing of the mug punters, and some real Giles cartoon "russians in overcoats" who'd "just happen" to stand next to anyone having a conversation out on deck (again who pretended to have no English.......) whistlie
As soon as you got on board, there wasn't just a quick shooftie at your passport, they nicked it for the duration, and I did wonder why they found it necessary way back then to have full colour offset litho printing facilities on board.......
After I got home, I got hold of plans of the boat, and reckoned the best part of a deck and a half was "unaccounted for" - I think the smart money was that it was spying on allied ship movements in the North Atlantic............ wackoold
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 10:39:32 PM by martin » Logged

Unpaid volunteer administrator and moderator (not employed by Navitron) - Views expressed are my own - curmudgeonly babyboomer! - http://www.farmco.co.uk
agrarian

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2014, 09:54:49 AM »

Oh dear Biff, so sorry to learn of your downed turbine. There's really no need to lower it in a storm, except to minimise yaw bearing wear perhaps. The lighter tail and a 3KW braking load do it for me.

Ag

2 x Yangzhou Shenzhou 2KW , 1.2KW pv, 540Ah@120v deep cycle, 2 x 2KW sine wave, off grid on a Snowdonia mountain. Never forget that the power varies as the CUBE of the windspeed.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2015, 11:31:11 PM »

We are having a real storm here at the moment,
                                        I wonder how Paul is faring.
                                                         Biff

camillitech

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2015, 07:43:17 AM »

Paul is just about to stick his head outside Biff and go and feed the hens. It's pretty wild here with a good eight gusting nine or ten from the west.

Cheers, Paul

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2015, 09:07:04 AM »

Not nice Paul,Not nice,
                  Ours has eased off slightly but you seem to get it pretty rough around 6 this evening.
                                                                               Biff

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: