navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 ... 87   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 157453 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1065 on: June 15, 2017, 07:00:09 AM »

Blimey Biff, missed your previous post, so glad Angel is well on the way to recovery!
I would love to be a fly on your RE talks!
Just how much electricity do you use each year on the big fans in the garden to stir the midge, why do you have them so high!!! ralph
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1066 on: June 15, 2017, 11:37:37 AM »

Aye Tod,
      You do get the odd one like that. However I have had a few visitors lately who caught the wind turbine bug and it is nice to see, They live on Islands that have 30 knot winds, day after day. Everything has to be pretty heavy duty but luckily enough, you find that such folks have expert welders among them and have a good grasp of electronics.
 It is great to see Angel using that leg properly again. The stairs are out for the time being but they get one trip up and one trip down in the late evening. She is more annoyed than he is and really gave out about it after a few days but she has settled down again and has come to accept the rule. She is that odd mixture of a very strong willed but biddable lady. If she thinks she is right she will keep pushing it but that goes with the type of dog that she is. If you send her off looking for something, she will persist until she succeeds, so I have to make allowances on those grounds. She is also very physical and if I am not paying proper attention to her, she will nut me on the kneecap and look me straight in the face,then show me what she is after. hysteria. Diesel is a big fan.
    Very windy here,,squalls and bluster,,with a promise of better weather ahead.
                                                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1067 on: June 15, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »

She is that odd mixture of a very strong willed but biddable lady
Could be Mrs T !

Just ebiked to the shops very stiff breeze so was very glad of help up the hill on the way home wind straight in the face. 19c and dry .
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1068 on: June 18, 2017, 10:19:43 AM »

Oh Yee of little faith, Lift your eyes heavenwards,
                  Just lead with one foot first, it is tricky trying to lead with two, Think positive, bear no malice and all will be well. It is that simple. For further revealing juicy revelations, just invest 150 euros in my future bestseller,    "The Joys of being Poor and Penniless". It will be a full four pages, including the covers and with a full six pages left for adding notes. Payment in advance if you please.
The local midge population is exploding as I type, Who could believe that such small creatures could invoke such uncomfortability and spasms of unkindly foul language. But they do. I am looking quite pale and drawn and each morning I search for those telltale two little bite marks on my jugular and the bed is surrounded by a 3 ft high barrier of garlic cloves,
,, Eh ,! He says. your kidding,!
 We are getting used to the excellent wind and sun but I have to add that yesterday morning was mostly wind only. I am slicing through reclaimed timbers at present. Having murdered two aldi circular saws, I turned my attention to the Lidl electric chain saw. The proper oil is rather sticky, so i mixed in  some Ducks 15 40 and it seems to work that bit better,. Normally the moisture in the green timbers helps to cool the chain and bar but, Hard dry timbers,Oak, Pine and godknowswhat need to be well oiled. It is not quite as straight forward as it seems. I need to inspect each length for nails and pull any nail that looks dodgy(them all) that takes longer than the cutting, But I did a ton Bag + yesterday and the chain and bar were fine. No missing teeth. The house was cooler than usual last night which reminded me that the saw was 2kw+ and instead of heating water yesterday the solar and the wind were powering the saw. We still have plenty of hot water for showers etc.
  The lawns need cutting again but it is still too damp, The fruit trees are thriving,

Even the plums are getting fatter and fatter,
This is one of my favorite displays and i am not even a gardner.
I have no idea what kind of apples these are and this is the first year of 7 that they have even tried to grow and apple, I put this down to the winter dosing with potash. The ones below are fantastic Bramley,,a great tart filler and desert apple

I will settle for a dozen bags like this,

and of course a pic of her ladyship herself, who has recovered well from her bout of sore leg. She is still annoyed that she is no longer allowed to skip up and down the stairs, but she will get over that.

Biff

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 10:30:58 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1069 on: June 18, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »

You're upping your game on the photos Biff. Well done. We shall not have many apples this year.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1070 on: June 19, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »

Fiendish,
      Is the only way i can describe these little winged beasties. I had a nail pulling session yesterday and whatever kind of a rush I was in, I crocked my back for a while, so i am in no hurry to venture forth this morning. As I drifted off to sleep last night, I fabricated a backpack containing a lightweight battery pack and a base plate for a tubular steel swan neck that could hold a 12volt car radiator fan above my head. The fan would be encased in a rigid mesh to prevent the blades from giving me an unnecessary haircut. These fans are very light and extremely powerful ,so i would have to have some kind of a dimmer of heater fan control switch as well. Any kind of a decent breeze will send the midge packing.
 I am not sure if it would be safe,, whistlie, I might make a headline like , "Andsome Oirish lad,drops from 10,000ft with flat battery on his back."   
I dunno, I might leave it till I get a bit more mature.
                                                  Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1071 on: June 19, 2017, 01:15:19 PM »

Stan +1
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1072 on: June 19, 2017, 01:19:07 PM »

Biff, Mrs T bought me a fan all encased that runs off the usb port of the computer. Cheap as chips light weight and surprisingly powerful.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1073 on: June 19, 2017, 07:10:43 PM »

Come to think of it Tod,
                        I have a half dozen of controller fans, all 12volt and also quite powerful.
  I did saunter forth after 10am ish and cut another half bag of wood, The midge must have been reading my morning post and decided to give me a break.
, Look what happens to the junkers. This stuff is badly scratched but I still have two complete floors of the stuff. Today I did a trial run cutting it with the chain saw and it cut ,no problem at all. As long as the oil is wet on the chain, it sails through it like butter. It seems a sin to destroy this wood in this fashion. I forget how many times I advised young couple against buying junkers. They never ever listened but instead went ahead and put themselves into debt to floor their lounge in this stuff. Oak is not easy to grow and takes years to mature. It should not end up getting treated like this.
                                                                                               Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1074 on: June 19, 2017, 11:07:54 PM »

After the third really humid day in a row, a breeze began about an hour ago, bringing much-needed relief, and the local windfarm has sprung into life. Yippee!

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1075 on: June 20, 2017, 01:44:14 PM »

Phewwww!
            The foggy wet has disappeared to be replaced by a glaring sunny thirst. I ask you,, Is there not a happy medium, The hounds spent most of the morning in the cool rear of the shed. I have a fan that can be set up in the hall and directed from the cool side to the warm side of the house with the hounds in between. The hall rads have been turned off and other ones turned on.
My nail pulling and timber cutting has been put on hold. Sanctions have been put on me. Mr Biff is not at all happy about me crocking my back, so I have to be a good gasur and cease all heavy activity. The lawns need to be cut banghead,,Yet I did get some satisfaction, I spent a while sitting on my shed chair and rolling a magnet on a string  along the floor of the trailer to pick up the hundreds of nails that I pulled. I filled a 5ltr plastic jar with them. I will have to think of some better way of yanking them out of the wood.
 So all is good on the edge of the Atlantic,
                                                 Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1076 on: June 22, 2017, 08:00:08 AM »

I am spending far too much time watching the bird table, non stop entertainment. We have guests for most of the next month which is stopping me from getting on and painting the house. At the moment the weather is very nice decent sun with a light breeze, the forecast is for end of the world storms over the weekend. We shall see!
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1077 on: August 02, 2017, 07:16:52 PM »

Rain, wind, dust devils and yet it is warm,
                                        My large bags of timber are slow to fill, Stacking the stuff inside is backbreaking work but I want the stuff to last over winter. I birrled the starter on the forklift for a minute to send the oil to the top of the engine and then released the fuel. It is a reliable old girl. Very powerful for it,s size and handy too. I have 4 bags completed, 2 very big ones and 2 normal ones, i cannot wait to get them out of the shed and into the red store. I just hope that the bags are strong enough and don,t dump the stuff in the middle of the street.Then I will start and spring clean the whole place.
   I have learned a little about circular saws. The aldi ones are not suitable. They just cannot stand the abuse. I ordered a blue 185 screwfix one and it is doing remarkably well. I gave up on the chainsaw because it was just hard work, The screwfis 185 just zipps through everything.
 Our Rasbers disappeared weeks ago, We had a great crop with daily desert of Yogurt and rasbers,,we were getting posh but when you show a gal like Angel how to take them off the stalk, the low level ones start disappearing very quickly. She is very keen on apples as well and will pick them off the tree and carry them into the house to eat them gripped in her claws like a monkey.
There are times when i arrive in for lunch, he snoozes at the bottom of the stairs and somehow she decides to camp out on the landing above, The moment, she hears the key in the lock, she struggles awake and heads down before I see her but then i am in and talking to Diese and out of the corner of my eye, She tries and succeeds to back up the stairs quietly,, She is no lightweigh and is built like a sack of spuds on 4 legs,with her massive chest to the front,,so backing up the stairs, from half way down is no mean feat. Then he asks to go up and join me for lunch, Oh Yes, and on the 3rd request and my 3rd yes,! "Up yee go", he winds his spring and then she comes clumping down the stairs,,,She wants to go up as well, He lopes up in 2 bounds and she clambers up like a horse. It never occurred to her that she was already up  and did not need to go down but the joy she experiences heading up, ahead of me is too great to be missed.
 We have loads of apples, and the plums seem to be looking good. The weather is unsettled, The wobblers clog the roads in the multi- colored outfits and posh bikes,,I never seem to hear of any serious accidents which is a miracle in itself because some of these cyclists actually fall into the hedge or the road completely on their own free will with nobody near them. Some couple think it is a spiffing great idea to buy new bikes and head off to Donegal and wobble all over our roads, maybe only having been on a bike twice in their entire lives. But the locals stop and take them into town, point them towards the doc for a sticky plaster and a hug,,There might even be drink on the job.
 It is 7pm ish and the light is fading,2 days into the 8th month and the light is fading.. It must have something to do with Bexit.
                                                          Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1078 on: August 02, 2017, 10:58:42 PM »

The screwfix 185 just zipps through everything.

Including scaffold poles, I kid you not  Shocked Cuts them a treat, as well as PV mounting rail  genuflect Fine day here Biffer, fine couple of days in fact but the whole of July was a 'washout'. Pretty good PV production right enough, which is a little strange considering how wet it's been but tomorrow looks good too. Shame really cos we're heading east for the weekend to http://www.tartanheartfestival.co.uk/ and the weather looks awful over in Beauly. Still, I'll no be caring cos I'll be mashed  bike bike

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, SI6.OH, WB1200, SB3800,SB2500,WB6000, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1079 on: August 03, 2017, 08:52:35 AM »

Those names don,t half ring a bell, Paul,
                                  But they are some 40 yrs old at least, Maybe it,s their grandkids . There are names there from the 60s. "Make Love Not  War" I even wore that tea shirt, I was desperately living in hope, Grin  Good luck at the bash, it does sound exciting.
                                                   Biff

Pages: 1 ... 68 69 70 71 [72] 73 74 75 76 ... 87   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: