navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 ... 85   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 150717 times)
camillitech

« Reply #1095 on: August 06, 2017, 04:13:51 PM »

What you need is a sit on mower. It just so happens that I have one for sale!  You know I just had the thought of driving it from Sweden to Ireland. If you ignored the pollution, noise etc progressing at 4mph along the back roads could be very agreeable. You could take your ebike to meet us😀

Reaching 'maturity' can be a b* gg*r telling the knees that descending a ladder is a shrewd move can be problematic.  Still being able to moan about it is a big plus denied to many!! Grin

Still painting and dodging showers.

Sharing the bed with a border collie and a cat. No Mrs T in the house and discipline goes to pot.

Hi Tod, if you want know about growing old and 'sit mowers' then watch this film https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Straight_Story Outsatanding  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, SI6.OH, WB1200, SB3800,SB2500,WB6000, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1096 on: August 06, 2017, 05:39:06 PM »

Read the review Paul, will keep my eyes open. Like David Lynch movies always interesting.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1097 on: August 06, 2017, 07:49:28 PM »

I have a confession to make,
                    It is nearly 10 years since I bought a brand new ride on mower from B,n Q. It was an end of season bargain. a proper tractor mower. petrol 4strole key start with a large cut.. It was delivered here to my house, all in for 650.00. My son was keen to use it but the only lawn we had was a small front one some 35ft x 50ft, In order to keep him off it and horsing the life out of it, I told him it was for sale, It sat through the winter and never went outside the red store. When the spring came, I put it up for sale and the first guy that saw it had to have it...
That autumn, I went back looking for another but the prices had climbed by a good 250.00. I could still have made a few pound but crash had soaked up all the spare cash in the country, so I left it. The S/H ones are cheap now.The little blue Hyundai that I use is very reliable,I also use an electric one when the grass is very dry and it is a brilliant thing but the blue Hyundai run on the smell of petrol and I can cut the front and rear lawns on one small tankfull.. I can whizz in around the appletrees and cut the tripe out of the rushes ,just as long as the weather is dry. The rpm are set so no trottle and you cannot flog the life out of it. That is why it is so economical. It is also the easiest little machine to start of all time..
Cutting the lawn also tells me how I am doing fitness wise. There was a time a few years back when I was unable to cut the lawn, so I am really grateful now to push and sweat and shower afterwards. Mrs Biff gave out a little but she is OK now, I used to have to watch these lazy louts with strimmers pretending to be working. Mrs Biff would fork out the 30 + euros per lawn. That galled me. Once I got stronger and began knocking it all into shape, the money stayed with us. It is not that I resented paying the money. It was because Mrs Biff has to virtually beg them and when they got here, they dossed and wasted time,,still getting the 30+. I had to keep quiet Grin. but things have improved.
  I have considered getting a goat on a tether but i believe that can be quite risky. hysteria
                                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
supremetwo

« Reply #1098 on: August 07, 2017, 02:01:37 AM »

The little blue Hyundai that I use is very reliable,I also use an electric one when the grass is very dry and it is a brilliant thing but the blue Hyundai run on the smell of petrol and I can cut the front and rear lawns on one small tankfull.. I can whizz in around the appletrees and cut the tripe out of the rushes ,just as long as the weather is dry. The rpm are set so no trottle and you cannot flog the life out of it. That is why it is so economical. It is also the easiest little machine to start of all time.

Hi, Biff

My mower has been playing up today.

Can't really complain as it was given to me some 10 years ago when my neighbour moved.
It is 'difficult to start', he said and no wonder as the carb was full of rubbish.

Anyhow, it seems to now be low on compression so considering a new one as replacement engine bits cost an arm and a leg.

I looked up blue Hyundai and find:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hyundai-Petrol-Rotary-Lightweight-Handle/dp/B00JF345UY

Is this the same or similar to your model?

Best,

Malcolm

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1099 on: August 07, 2017, 06:07:26 AM »

Ouessant sheep tough as anything weigh about 20 kg about the same size as a collie. Cost about 60 euro 

https://www.leboncoin.fr/animaux/1171580969.htm?ca=6_s

Work rain or shine, need shearing once a year.

If the experience is not good, delicious.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1100 on: August 07, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »

That,s the one Supremetwo,
                     Its looks identical. The base is rigid metal and it is so easy started. The dead man lever is always a nusance, i use a stiff cable wrap which is easily pulled off. Our,s was around the same price back then if you exchanged the euro. I know they never designed it for cutting clumps of rushes but this ones has been slicing the tops of rushes since we got it.,
 It cuts perfectly in the dry but the wet fouls up the grass exit next to the blade.
It is an ideal mower for someone who does not want to fiddle with carbs or settings,, You just prime with the little red button, hold the D/M lever on the handle, give it half a pull and off it goes. The only real care this one gets is an oil change each year. It is a great buy @ that price.
                                                                               Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1101 on: August 10, 2017, 08:39:43 AM »

Last night had a harvest moon,
                         Clear as could be with registration number plates clearly readable at midnight. The smell of fresh cut grass mixed with the musk of ripening apples is too much for Angel. She is skittish and playful and Diese has that "Oh No!" hang dog look about him as she gallops in and out between the fruit trees. Its a ruse, a clever one. The seemingly, perfectly innocent, she slows to a walk and sniffs indirectly towards the blind side of the apple trees, Then she is off down the lawn with Diese in tow. It is hard to tell from that distance if she scored and apple from the lower branches. I call her and she gallops back without an apple..Maybe not Maybe she is trying to be good,, she wheels round and dashes off down the rear lawn again.. Our walk takes just some 15mins. I figured out a way to tell if she had an apple in her mouth. If her tongue hung out, then no apple, If her mouth is shut and her head down,, yes .she has. I have been getting it wrong lately and she has been able to balance the apple in her closed mouth with her tongue still hanging out..Even holding onto it long enough so that i don,t feel the bump on the wooden floor as she drops it in the darkness of the hall. She cannot be that cute,,,,but she is. She made off with two mice Bramley yesterday. I put it down to attention seeing. She does not profit by it but finding the apple stalk in the hall yesterday morning meant that I have not been winning every time. I processed a trailer load of recycled timbers yesterday and cut the front lawn in the cool of the evening. My screwfix 185 is working well but it is way way more than 1200watt, It draws at least 2.5kw on start-up. It draws more than our 2.2kw electric chainsaw. I have to run our diesel generator for an hour at a time and a gallon of red goes a long way. I have a oil dipped sponge which i wipe over the blade every 5 mins, It only takes a few secs but it lets the saw spin for freely through the hardwoods. It is a powerful thing and the odd nail does not seem to bother it at all. I had my shed all nicely cleaned up and then i got word to come and collect some "Good stuff" and indeed it is excellent gear, next to no nails and good and chunky, easy to process.
Yesterday,s solar input to the house must have been on of our best, Somewhere in the world a religious zealot adviser to the president of the USA told everyone that according to the bible god had given Mr Trump the right to attack N Korea but then some other zealot, a senator said that they need to dump Trump because of his mental issues, before he starts WW3 and he has backing.. Thousands of miles away a happy haircut if plotting a course some 40km round Guam,telling Trump that he is talking tosh.. Could we not employ a coalition of N Koreans and American to rustle the pair of them, cover them in baby oil and let them fight it out between themselves in a padded cage. The world has gone mad..to mention trump and religion in the on the one page should be listed as a crime against humanity, A really gross,dirty trick. I wonder how Alec Baldwin is feeling now.
                                                                           Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1102 on: August 11, 2017, 09:15:08 AM »

Blustry rain from the west at 8am,
                                   Now it has swung round to the south east, perhaps we are in the eye of it. The rain is warm on the face, not unpleasant. It is a real peasouper and still closing in.
 The hounds dodge the puddles and look quite sad. No roll overs on the lawn, next to no reading of peemails.  We are indeed in the eye as the winds shift direction.
  There will be very little PV today but enough to drive the necessities. The wobblers head up the hill past our house, It must be a horrible affliction to be so ill that you are forced to pedal a bike up a Mountain in pouring rain, laden down with tents, pots and pans and maybe there is the odd large flatscreen balanced on the odd carrier,, Surely, it must be some kind of illness. On reflection, perhaps it is penance, that would make sense. Maybe they were cruel to their spouses and feel bad so they say to themselves. " I must punish myself severely ,,,I will pedal over the bluestacks in an appalling headwind laden with appalling heavy rain and appalling mist that hides every vehicle hurtling towards me, SOB,,"  
 I,m not sure but there is something wrong somewhere.
                                                                             Biff
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 05:23:20 PM by biff » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1103 on: August 11, 2017, 02:20:57 PM »

Still waiting for Summer, as the first hint of gold appears in the trees. Admittedly Sweden but the first time ever that I don't have that tan ending at the tee shirt neck and sleeves. I have spent the best part of a month painting outside (ok only in 3 hour tranches) only twice taking off my jumper.
Last year it regularly topped 30c between May and September, reverting to norm perhaps?

Cycling with full kit has never struck me as joyous!
supremetwo

« Reply #1104 on: August 11, 2017, 09:07:44 PM »

That,s the one Supremetwo, Its looks identical. The base is rigid metal and it is so easy started. The dead man lever is always a nusance, i use a stiff cable wrap which is easily pulled off. Our,s was around the same price back then if you exchanged the euro. I know they never designed it for cutting clumps of rushes but this ones has been slicing the tops of rushes since we got it.,
 It cuts perfectly in the dry but the wet fouls up the grass exit next to the blade.
It is an ideal mower for someone who does not want to fiddle with carbs or settings,, You just prime with the little red button, hold the D/M lever on the handle, give it half a pull and off it goes. The only real care this one gets is an oil change each year. It is a great buy @ that price.
Biff

Thanks for the details, Biff

However, the mystery of the low compression on my mower has today been solved. Smiley

It started fine today but stopped again after an hour or so and little compression again, so I decided to unbolt bits and investigate.

The inlet valve was not closing properly, so off with the head.

A screw was discovered between the valve and its seat holding the inlet valve open, fortunately not small enough to be sucked into the cylinder.

Turns out it was the screw holding the carb butterfly onto its spindle. The screw must have dropped back into the inlet manifold, when I was testing the compression on Monday, hence the OK start today..

How the engine was running at all with a loose butterfly beats me  - possibly the butterfly was jamming open at just about the right revs, which also explains why the mower was hunting when cutting a section of longer grass before it cut out on Monday.

Now all back together and the mower saved from the tip once more.  fingers crossed!

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1105 on: August 12, 2017, 09:31:42 AM »

Well done Supremetwo,
                           It certainly gives sweet satisfaction to discover a fault like that and fix it . I had a slight problem with a very reliable Yanmar160 clone. The decompression lever seems to flop about and then fall off, shortly after that, The engine became hard to start. The little shaft that carried the decompression lever to the rocker had broken and a round piece some 20mm in diameter had dropped down beside a valve stem,wearing a grove in the head and impeding the performance. A no 10 ring and a pair of fine pliers solved the problem, I replaced the rocker cap and decompression lever with a good secondhand one and all went well after that.
 It might be a good idea to spend the 105.00 on that mower because I sincerely doubt that you will find one better for that kind of money. I don,t know why they sell them so cheaply but if you look at their site and the next models up, you will see that they are quite an expensive mower normally. In careful hands, you would never have to buy another one. The problem with this kind of bargain is that normally it is not available when you are stuck and buying one now and tucking it away carefully for the day that you need it, is not a bad idea,especially when they deliver right to the door for the 105.00
                                                                      Biff

supremetwo

« Reply #1106 on: August 12, 2017, 11:34:15 AM »

Hi, Biff

Must be the popularity of Navitron and all your followers as the price has now been upped by 10.
Amazon do this automatically if there are many clicks on a product.

However, the cutting size is smaller than mine and I need the larger model.

I do have other mowers - an old huge wheeled Flymo for rough, a cylinder mower for fine (but never enough time to use it regularly enough) plus a tractor mower for the large areas.

In this area, we are plagued with moss and, when I was younger and keen, I spent loads of time scarifying and re-seeding but the moss just comes back when treatment stops. Neighbour spent a fortune on Green Thumb regular treatments - then you have to be careful in composting the cuttings, also with the regular fertilisation, you need to cut more often.

As long as my lawn is green, I no longer worry if it's not pure grass.

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1107 on: August 12, 2017, 12:56:31 PM »

Clear your cookies.
supremetwo

« Reply #1108 on: August 12, 2017, 02:06:16 PM »

Clear your cookies.

Me???

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1109 on: August 13, 2017, 05:54:38 AM »

When living in France Mrs T used to book flights and ferries. If you looked at one company and then checked against another, if you returned to the first the price would have gone up a couple of quid !
Clear the tracking cookies and look and behold the price dropped again.
Not always the case but worth a try.

Ccleaner is pretty good for this.

Camelcamelcamel  will track the price history on the big River site.

Sorry to be so abrupt before but typing on my phone is tricky. I would love to be able to use my thumbs like the kids but that is beyond me
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73 [74] 75 76 77 78 ... 85   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: