navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 ... 85   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 150715 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1110 on: August 13, 2017, 09:01:32 AM »

The mists,rain and wind have cleared away,
                                     Sunlight, dapples the shade in the light sea breezes, We had our first windfall, a small cluster of Bramelys fail to hang tight as the latest winds scoured the rear lawn. Angel was spoiled for choice, lifting her left paw and pointing to them lying under the tree, Then being left poorer for it when the 5 plum Bramleys were coveted into my large coat pocket. It was a terrible injustice and she let me know it. "There must be some mistake" her eyes said as they roamed my face. "Your joking,, You gotta be kidding" She wheeled around several times,,, A few minutes later,she was happy enough to know they were safe and secure in my pocket. Diese,sniffed the breeze as usual with raised head, pulling this way and that, like an old sea dog trying to impress the company,taking his wet finger from his mouth and holding it up..But he sniffed the kittens and was trying to steady their position in his head, Then a little black and white one broke cover beside Angel and she nearly fell over, spinning for traction. The Kitten was in no hurry. Born wise they do not last long otherwise. Then from the apples to under the rear of an old transit that has been refuge to dozen and dozen of feral cats down the generations, Angel gets down on her elbows under the rear of the van and tries to look friendly and encouraging. We were told that she did not like cats but having lived in the middle of the county,s biggest feline raves and discos, she got to learn that there were certain cats that she must not try and catch, perhaps match them step for step but not get too close. She has cornered a few and backed off when ordered so she is not bad at all. Diesel is indifferent. He will amble after them. He knows Blink and would not do anything to panic her.
The sun is pouring down on our array, Our W/T is having a rest. The Plums are starting to ripen. We have stacks of jars with good sealed lids. Even the Bramelys are ready. I gave boxes and bags of Bramelys away last year to the neighbours. Solar powered Microwave plum jam is a world beater. This year I will use less sugar and no lemon. Our harvest fair is just 4 weeks away.
 A year gone, just like that.
                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1111 on: August 13, 2017, 10:34:29 AM »

Nearly finished the painting. Hurrah. Beautiful early Autumn day full sunshine and a decent breeze just about perfect for wind and solar. Noticeable that the sun is already lower night and morning. The woods are full of fungi some edible all beautiful. I am told that Wednesday is the first day of deer hunting in Sweden so back to wearing high visibility vest when dog walking. 
Where does the time go?
eabadger

« Reply #1112 on: August 13, 2017, 04:20:59 PM »

sun out, been in garden for first time in a few days due to rain.
the courgettes are taking over, the pees are finished by the mildew bought on with the rain and then heat.
some of the cucumbers finished, chilies going red Smiley first time got them to do that, peppers still stubbornly green, french beens almost over, broad beens over.
very true where has the last year gone?
still not got the extension started, any clues as to whether we will get a good winter?
started to get he winter wood ready, got 3qmtrs of oak for 100 3 years old, and done deal for 4qmtr of false acacia , with what we had left over should see us though a normal winter.
with the new solar arrays our oil consumption has gone down by about 80%  extrahappy

now to walk the dogs with kids, pack my car and go back to work Huh for the week
lots of fungai in our wood, but i have not got a clue, have the book but too scared to risk it.

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1113 on: August 19, 2017, 10:35:00 AM »

Maybe summer is over for now,
                 We have been having heavy rain and strong winds and just over half way through August. The trees are still carrying their full load of leaves so the wind is more obvious and damaging. We have been lucky with the showers, getting caught only twice. The hounds sniff the confusing breezes, It was very blustry last night, Our big willow over the sun seat near the front lawn, lowered one of it,s limbs down over the brick retaining wall and slightly over the drive way, The constant to and frowing , back and forth weakened the long 12ft limb and it curved down over the wall, Like it is supposed to do. The solar light on top of the wall shine up and of course as the willow swept back and forth in the dark, it looked so much like some one was on the driveway with a flash light as the wet leaves picked up the solar and flickered in the dark. Angel got annoyed and sounded her " Halt,! Who goes there" but Diese was silent and laid back. Of course we had to investigate the naughty willow and then she was happy enough to continue our wanderings. It is a special window in the year that only lasts a few weeks, when the trees are heavy with fruit and green is rampant everywhere and yet it is turning cold, perhaps we will have a little frost soon and then the apples will be ready as winter silently approaches.
Our w/t has been cutting the mustard, delivering hot water and keeping the house at a nice stable temperature, with next to no wood burned.  It has been an excellent year for our solar and wind energy returns, especially keeping the house warm. We did have a few weeks where we kept the windows open but overall it was not too uncomfortable so we must have the balance near enough right. We are still not ready to light the stove yet, as long as the w.t and solar can deliver the hot water to the tanks and the hall stays warm, we will be comfy but that can change rather quick.
                                                                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1114 on: August 22, 2017, 11:44:55 AM »

Round 7ish was dry yet fresh,
                      With a breeze blowing down from the mountain. The hills looked too close and a few dark clouds scudded north. We managed our walk rain free but no sooner were we in the door than the skies opened to produce a torrential downpour that lasted a good 10 minutes. So everything is squeaky clean. the roads,car parks and roof tops included.
 Angel is getting depressed, Her constant effort to salvage an apple from the windfalls are leaving her feeling betrayed and used. She still come when she is called,apple in mouth,head lowered and trying to will me to let it go, her look says "for god,s sake, can I not have just one please". She would turn a stone heart to jelly.
 My DC charger is in dry dock. I wheeled it inside the shed on Sunday evening. I was quite surprised by the way that all the little faults combined together to give me a right headache but nothing that I cannot cure. It worked first class and is one of the most satisfying projects that i ever accomplished so i cannot grumble too much.
  Yet there are niggles, I used 10" pneumatic tires on Plastic wheels with 20mm axle holes and full width roller bearings. The tires were checked and left at 20lbs psi, not flat but capable of absorbing any rocking motion or engine vibration. For some strange reason, one tire blew within the first few weeks of use, no more than 10 hours combined. That one was renewed with a 4 ply tire version.
The winter passed peacefully and the charger became used a lot less. Back in June i took a little peek at things and discovered that the other 3 wheels were also flat. Somehow the tires has become full of holes,right round. My efforts in experimenting with expanding foam to blow up the tires and hope they stayed up met with abject failure..disaster was is a better word. So I rang a friend and he suggested solid heavy duty 8" jockey wheels. I fitted these in July and was quite happy with the result. However I never ran the charger for more than 5 minutes. Then last week i decided to examine things a lot closer and ran the charger until the bank was showing 147vdc. The resistance is high at that point and the engine comes under full load, a good thing. This time however, i noted that the vibrations and knocking, were not to my liking The heavy steel jockey wheels were some how beating on the axles. So off came the jockeys wheels and a new set of 3new x 4ply x 10" on the other 3 plastic rims were refitted on the axles. The charger was restarted and left to run the volatage up to 150vdc which was easily achieved without any bad knocks or vibrations like before. Then the controller was examined and found to have sucked in the diesel fumes at the real and deposited all the gunge over the boards and resistors, Not a pleasant sight. I have no idea as to how i could clean this mess but i know that it is not good to keep using it, so I will need another controller unless I can find a way to clean it up. I have used the large heavy block rectifiers with excellent results and just sent the charge directly into the bank, letting the other two controllers manage it, but still it is nice to see what the charger is doing at the point of generation. There is no panic, The charger is back in the shed, I have to rub down the metalwork and redirect the exhaust away from the area where the controller is sited. This is something that i should have done on day one. We live and learn.
 I have a small concrete base to install below the area where the charger  sits, approx 75mm of concrete sitting on 50mm of kingspan. My idea of siting the charger,s tires on loose limestone chippings was not a very clever one, hence the multiple holes right round the tires. I would never have believed that that would happen while it was sitting running stationary, but it did. The replaced 4th tire with the 4 ply rating, did not have a problem. (to be honest,these tires are a (Un) lucky dip).
  I have figured out a good way to remove the exhaust fumes/smoke from the controller area without too much hassle, so that,s a +.
 It would be nice If I had a relay of sorts that would switch off the pump@ 148vdc. I have a 12volt solenoid of a central locking mechanism which can bolt on to the pump and some how be operated manually by remote control,, Just to switch it off. I prefer to start it with the key and check everything first but stopping it by remote would be a bonus.H,mmmmmmm
 I will post some pics of the baby later. Roll Eyes
                                                                      Biff

« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 05:54:06 PM by biff » Logged

eabadger

« Reply #1115 on: August 22, 2017, 12:05:57 PM »

biff
these have setpoint voltage and current setting to fire a relay, they also do a pretty good accumulative gauge on charge current and discharge, about 24. with not a bad shunt included.
do you run your charger at 3000rpm? i always find that seems a harsh speed, 1500rpm much more gentle but with little engines effects HP dramatically.

steve

* IMG_0338.JPG (91.67 KB, 640x480 - viewed 90 times.)

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
Scruff

« Reply #1116 on: August 22, 2017, 01:05:18 PM »

with not a bad shunt included.

300A 75mV?
eabadger

« Reply #1117 on: August 22, 2017, 01:15:59 PM »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-400V-300A-DC-Wireless-Voltmeter-Ammeter-Power-Meter-Charge-discharge-capacity-/331918460214?epid=2059781685&hash=item4d47e1c536:g:rWcAAOSwARZXlewI

i have a few dotted around, useful tool, wife understands battery looks half full turn on generator or dont use dishwasher 5 times a day!!
no adjustment i can find, tested against calibrated flute, and ok, good enough.
the wireless bit i dont use, but....
the data transmission appears to be rs485/422 so can be sent a long way.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1118 on: August 22, 2017, 01:30:36 PM »

Hi Steve,
     The Engine runs at half revs approx 1500rpm. I fitted a blower which never gets activated.
 I find it hard to get any kind of relay that can cope with 120vdc,,,,,150vdc Grin
  The PMG runs between 350 to 400rpm and the engine comes under load as the voltage climbs and the resistance increases in the bank. If the bank gets low, the engine can race a little ,say 10 maybe 12 amps max @140volts then it starts climbing over a period of 2 hours,while running the house at the same time. Very seldom has it needed to go beyond 2 hours then the bank is fine for at least 4 hours afterwards, never going below 124volts under a constant load of say 300watts min. Its controller has the fans running non stop because the dump load has been removed and the charge goes direct to the bank. It is a really simple effort. The charger controller just rectifies the PMG output and tells me what is happening down at the charger which is a good distance from the other two controllers.
It is a really simple basic affair which is made possible by the high voltage and low amps. 140volt @ 10 amps is an easy steady 1kw.+ . It behaves the opposite to an ordinary generator. The more you load it,the easier it is for the engine to race and fill the bank again, the more the charger produces. but you cannot have the engine fighting the house dump load immersion with too high a voltage and too big a load on the little diesel. hence the max time of 2 hours which was learned by just running it for dozens of evenings,even when it was not needed. The end result means that you get 6 hours power for 2 hours charging on an engine running at 50% revs, the overall saving on fuel running at 1500rpm would not be as great as one would think but when you add the other 4 hours which still leaves the bank well above the 124vdc ,still under house load, the vast improvement in economy becomes very clear.
                                                        Biff

eabadger

« Reply #1119 on: August 22, 2017, 01:40:44 PM »

i would have thought at 1500 it would not eat tyres?
you tried big dc contactors or solenoids?
i wasnt suggesting runing the high dc through the ebay thing, just use that to switch somthing bigger.

too blooming hot here today, was mending the 4x4 brakes and have given up for a cold drink and sit down.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1120 on: August 22, 2017, 02:00:28 PM »

Yup I understand now,
                     Would the wireless remote control cover 75 yards,? If it were 12v, I could power it of the charger,s 12v starting battery. Just using it to power the solenoid back and forth.
                              Biff

eabadger

« Reply #1121 on: August 22, 2017, 02:41:10 PM »

re wireless, no idea, sorry, but if you cut the lead and extend then yes, as instructions state it is rs422/485.
it may work wireless, the thing can use the tested voltage or external lower supply, i will try and post copy of instructions that came with it.
you can set the relay to trigger at a certain low or high voltage or when current high or low, so versatile.
you can see current and power going in or out and set capacity of battery bank to get an idea of what you have used, the wife useful bit.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
Scruff

« Reply #1122 on: August 22, 2017, 03:16:48 PM »

22.5Watt losses across the shunt per shunt at full load Steve.  police
{Edit}; You only need one shunt though, just wire all the sense connections from the same terminal pair.

Bog standard to be honest.  tomatosplat
No offence I use them for non-essential systems.

' course the wife would probably waste more power without it. Tongue

I'm more of a 50mV 500A fancier myself with nominal design load ~65A: 3W parasitic instead.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 03:43:24 PM by Scruff » Logged
eabadger

« Reply #1123 on: August 22, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »

i only use an an indicator, i read the sg, the wife cant?!?!
but handy when i walk in shed to see, i have one on the wind turbine which lets me see what we have generated without any expensive bits.
as for loss, at present we have power galore, we have been taking 24kw per day recently, even with the new air source heat pump and electric kettle etc, we are only using 15kw to 18kw ish.

1kw wind turbine.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1124 on: August 22, 2017, 05:52:22 PM »

The sad controller, with exhaust stains on the back next to the intake vents

.     The big resistor fans were strong enough to pull the exhaust smoke in the back of the controller as it sat on the shelf boarded off from the engine below, however, I had to have a vent on the back. During testing the wind seemed to always draw the smoke away from the area, however I did not realise that the exhaust waste was in fact being draw in and deposited inside the controller . The front looked fine.

This is where the mistake was made. The exhaust pointed up and of course it is much too near the controller. I intend to chop the last bend off and take it out straight parallel to the body some 6ft with stays to secure it next to the alternator. The wind on the other side should pick it up and disperse it properly, well away from the charger and controls.

One very posh elegant remote digital de-compression arrangement, you can push your little digit into the washer on the end of the  string,Then a little tug and spin the engine on the flattest of batteries and it will start,, Not to be mistaken for the cheap complicated modern arrangement. Grin

The simple blower thermostatically controlled by the oil temperature.
                                                        Biff

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 [75] 76 77 78 79 ... 85   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: