navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 149279 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1200 on: October 03, 2017, 07:06:24 PM »

I guess I do ramble on a bit,
                         I can look back now and smile sometimes, But P was a handful. N2 had his witch next door and I had my Bogle but by and by these things level out. Maybe I should use the present tense because he was still working away here in the rain and the wind at 4.30pm, I got off light and got it all sorted eventually. In the middle of all this he fell out with another neighbor and that cost him a lot more than his antics with me. I have great neighbors and do what i can for them,help wise. Yet, I have P to thank for my off grid successes, I never did ask for a connection and I never will.
                                                                            Biff
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:07:05 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1201 on: October 03, 2017, 09:05:46 PM »

I guess I do ramble on a bit,
                         I can look back now and smile sometimes, But P was a handful. N2 had his witch next door and I had my Bogle but by and by these things level out. Maybe I should use the present tense because he was still working away here in the rain and the wind at 4.30pm, I got off light and got it all sorted eventually. In the middle of all this he fell out with another neighbour and that cost him a lot more than his antics with me. I have great neighbors and do what i can for them,help wise. Yet, I have P to thank for my off grid successes, I never did ask for a connection and I never will.
                                                                            Biff

Epic tale Biff, better than the BBC short story awards I just listened to and they were good  Grin

Cheers, Paul
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 10:08:09 AM by biff » Logged

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, SI6.OH, WB1200, SB3800,SB2500,WB6000, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1202 on: October 04, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »

We have excellent wind here,
                                Our turbine is still grounded. I have to say that the weather forecasts have been pretty accurate with the times etc. there is a lull coming up in the next few days so i will launch the turbine then, as it is, the wind is blowing from the west and blowing quite strong. I am naturally wary of getting assistance from the wind over the last 10ft. I must be getting sense at last.
Before the storm got up, I worried a little about the effect on the fruit trees. I lost a few some years back. it rained solid for three days, the waterlogged ground gave way to the wind and some of the trees leaned over, including my favorite plum tree. I built a support for it but it has since outgrown the support. So i had an idea, i took my two stage 24ft alloy ladder and jammed it in the plum tree at a low angle . I did the same to the Bramley with the other half. It certainly stopped them leaning over as much as they would have ,without the support. It is not a bad idea to offer assistance just for the duration of the storm. The really damaging wind comes directly in from the west, so I am considering some kind of multiple connecting harness to attache to the tree and anchored to the western side of it rather than propping a ladder against the east side of it.. We lost a pear tree and one never fully recovered from getting blown flat ans then we lost a pair of 3 year old apple trees, So in that context such a harness which would only take minutes to set up once it was organised has to be a "must"
  Rain on the wind here,,not nice, Hounds drying out,dull and overcast but still plenty of juice coming in from the PV.We only need 10% of the 3.8kw to run the place. today is particularly overcast and could be a first of the seasons serious use of the charger
                                                      Biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1203 on: October 09, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »

Our turbine is now back up and running,
                                   I got decent drying and a bit of sunshine yesterday afternoon which enabled me to sand the leading edges of the blades and put a coat of Gravid 600, just one ocat on the leading edges,,then got a further 2 hours and up into the evening calm, to shuffle and hunt for a non existent wind.
The edges were just beginning to get pitted,

It don,t look too fancy but it does the trick and does not break loose.In fact ,it is only stuff that i have ever used that managed a season without any flaking or deterioration, so it has to be good.
                                                                                                         Biff
 To Anyone who is thinking of using Gravid600, You need to wear glasses or use a magnifying glass to find the specs on this stuff, It is hidden in among other different languages and to be honest, the warning would put you off buying it because it is evil stuff to get on to your skin or breath the vapors. You need to wear good gloves and work in a well ventilated spot, I did the blades out in the open garden and wore gloves. The brush and the little measure that i used were destroyed, It is a bit late in life to worry but still no point in taking needless risks. I found Prop tape useless,, even patches stuck on the back of the blades had the corners lifting. The Gravid must be the best that I have ever used. Pity about the evil effects on us humans and living crittirs.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 11:48:02 AM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1204 on: October 11, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »

There has been excellent output from our Turbine,
                                                     Since it went aloft on the evening of the 9th. The wind was just a gale yesterday evening, of around force 6 but was steady and increased as the evening grew dark. It was cold wet and miserable outside and I used two fire boxs full, Then then the tanks got hot enough to circulate and we let the fire die out around 8ish. The dump load immersions will always deliver their quantity of heat as long as the Turbine is braking. It may not be too obvious sometimes but when you light the stove you notice how quickly the C/H pump is triggered and that is because the Turbine has lifted the temperature those few important degrees from the bottom.
 A thermal camera will deliver good info on running methods. I was fortunate enough to be able to place several sensors on my PMG charger and when the PMG would reach 31C, the fans will kick in and force the cold air between the surrounding 2l2 and the finned channels on the PMG housing,,cooling it quickly. It takes a good 20 minutes or so before the temp rises enough for the first blast of the fan but after 100 minutes the fan is coming on every few minutes, The different sensors tell me that the temperature is well within the safety margins. So between these different PMG applications I got to know what to expect. Unlike the wind turbine controllers, There is no dump loads on the charger.The controllers delivers the DC directly to the bank, There are no reins,except when the bank itself starts creeping up around 144vdc, Of course a load in the house would free the engine/PMG to produce more amps and you can hear it freeing up and see the amps on the charger, controller increasing.
  I have seen the results of overspeeding on different turbines from the small fds to the larger 3kw babies, It,s not pretty, Over speed simply has to be avoided. Strange as it may seem, The rear of the prop can be quite calm in strong winds and the fins on the PMG are there for a very good reason. I am always glad to see rain during a storm, whatever little does fall on the PMG does have a good cooling effect.
  The satisfaction on getting things tweaked to deliver and last the distance is immense. It takes time but we will get there.
                                                                             Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1205 on: October 12, 2017, 11:40:18 AM »

We woke this morning to a full bank,
                                           And nice tanks full of hot water, Diese and Angi sported and played in the gusting gangs of leaves that swirled around the street, or rather she played and took the Michael out of him. The ground was dry even, if it was trying to spit and always,,always this time of year and these conditions remind me of the essays we, in our innocent early teens, were condemned to write. They all had to start with versions of the line, " And autumn approaches, the leaves turn brown, The old people feel the need of prayer and salvation as the brown withered leaves ,shrivel and fall before the north wind, so too must they prepare for the life thereafter" That was utter carp.   Rock Hudson was chasing Doris Day for some big love in the local 3, o, clock flix on saturday,s matinee in our local fleapit. Oh Yes,,we had better things to do than wait around for the guy with the hooked nose and the scythe on his shoulder. The world was our oxter. Yet strolling through the swirling leaves, there is a foreboding or a hint of it, of a life ruled by black crows who did their very best to peck any kind of humanity out of us. Their creed said one thing, Their actions said the opposite. They were so modern and so destructive.
    My back was playing up, I don,t recall doing any stupid lifting, so I must have slept in an awkward position, I brought Mrs Biff her morning tea and buttered crackers and settled back in bed to read the news and finish my porrige. Mrs Biff always gets two small dog biscuits to hand out to either side of the bed when breakfast is over and a small low call brings the troops galloping up the stairs to collect their biscuits from Mrs Biff and then settled down on the floor space either side of the bed. It,s their routine and it is important. They normally stay at the foot of the stairs until called. In the morning they have their meals after us and then they spend the day in between walks and strolls outside in the hall. However this morning Angel decided that she could not wait for her breakfast. She walked around from one side of the bed to the other throwing our elbows up and reminding us that she had to eat. My back was tender and Angel is very strong and physical, so after a few dunts too many I got up out of the bed,went to the top of the stairs and ordered her down stairs. Down she went in half expectation of getting her breakfast but then,when told to"stay", she had to listen to my footsteps retreating back to bed and silence, thereof. 15 minutes later it was time for their breakfast and off I went,heading down the stairs but one look at angels,s upturned face reduced me to such painful laughter, that I think she well got her own back on me. She looked so sad and forlorn,,sitting looking up at me that i got out a tin of mackerel in sunflower oil and split it between them into their meal. Her mood turned to one of sheer elation when she saw the tin of Mackerel, both of them love Mackerel as much as i do. She is a rare character and soul mates to each other He is so sensible and she is so extrovert and knock him off his perch in the most outlandish way. His custom has always been to greet me in the morning at the bottom of the stairs. First he drums the floor and as i step onto the floor, he rolls over exposing his 42" chest for a scratch and a neck rub. She felt somewhat neglected by this macho display among males,,despite getting a pat on the head first, so the moment he rolled on his back, she darted over and dunted him on his large wedding tackle, causing his to leap up in alarm..So these morning i step in front of her as i stroke his chest and he does not get too alarmed if she does dart past me the odd time and score a goal. She is aware of where everything sits in the yard and if something has been moved or knocked over, she will point it out. dogs,, I ramble.
                                                                                              Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1206 on: October 12, 2017, 05:58:11 PM »

The forecast for the weekend is a kind of brutal,
                                     We will get a shove but the main brunt will be borne down south around Billi,s place and Wexford.
   Andy, You are going to get a right shot of wind on Monday around 6ish. If you can lower your turbine ,,do it, If not you might be able to lock the phases off the controller  and the battery. The wind is coming directly up from the south so maybe you could also get a rope over the tail like Billi does and face the turbine North.
  This is as bad a breeze as i have seen for a few years.. At least we have time to prepare for it and going by the charts we are looking not too bad but that can change very very quickly.
                                                                   Biff.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1207 on: October 14, 2017, 09:01:13 AM »

Dry underfoot,
                 Calm but overcast. Warm. Last night was similar and our walk was pleasant and strange. The hounds got busy on the scents and pointed a strange cat under the old transit. The Turbine was stopped but the different leaves still swirrled down and around us on the ground, I have never seen so many bats. We have two types, a very small one and a quite large one with a span of about 4 to 5 inches across. The smaller ones are just a little bigger than a large butterfly. Angel never saw bats before she arrived here and in the beginning she was totally mystified, swinging around to try and focus on them to the point of getting dizzy and almost falling over. Now she just watched them as they flit and dive about us on our passage past the fruit trees. The larger bat is more wary of us but the smaller ones flits out and in between us below shoulder height. What ever was going on last night must have been some kind of special disco or bat rave because there were more last night than ever I saw before.
Mrs Biff is guessing that the falling leaves are disturbing the hiding places of the different bugs and flies and because it is so warm,they can still get up and fly, so hence the bat party. It was nice to see them, 15 years ago we only had a single bat called "Batsy" and it was a good 4 years before he was joined by a friend, He was still "Batsy". Back then, I could stand at the head of the drive in the gloamin and wait for Batsy to appear and sure enough, he would zig and zag from side to side up the driveway toward Xena, Biff and myself, circle us and them head back down round the house down the garden and all the way back up. I actually talked to him and I believe he responded. I remember my daughter and the kids arriving for a holiday. the evening was closing in and the kids were bored. I explained that i kept pet bats but only very talented and well behaved children were allowed near them. After the sniggering stopped,they insisted on seeing the pet bats. So we trooped up the drive and waited with our torches. The torches do attract the bugs and things on wings and of course,there in the distance,quite clearly was Batsy coming up past the house with his zig zag gait, taking his time. He even impressed my daughter who asked where the rest of them were. i explained that that was Granddad Bat who was looking us over to see if we were carrying offensive weapons of mass destruction and he will go and report back to head quarters. So Batsy did me proud and I became one of those very special "Bat Whisperers ".  There were not many who could chat up a bat but there you are.
                                                                          Biff

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1208 on: October 14, 2017, 09:44:22 AM »

... secujred turbine last eve , will see what monday brings ,  forcast looks brutal  snow

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1209 on: October 14, 2017, 06:39:00 PM »

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=39.5;-15.7;3&l=wind

https://www.ventusky.com/?p=55.0;-8.5;4&l=wind&t=20171016/17

I don't know if anyone has tried this site, but it is certainly well worth a look where it comes to wind, rain, etc. It showed the US hurricanes exactly over the last few weeks. There are a number of toys to play with at the side, including the ability to show different dates and times, or play a forecast sequence.
The first link shows current winds, 2nd link shows forecast wind.

From what it shows, I'd be inclined to tie down what isn't already bolted down. Be safe.
N2
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 06:41:55 PM by Nickel2 » Logged

Of course it'll work. (I hope).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1210 on: October 14, 2017, 07:53:41 PM »

It is getting worse every 6 hour update,
                                    24 hours ago or even this morning, we were in the center of an area approx 30 x 40 mile which seemed to be the eye of the storm but now that has moved south west out into the Atlantic and the least we will be getting will be a serious force 8+.  Ireland is  actually surrounded by the red apart from one area North of the isle o man to Malin head. The red comes ashore at Billi,s place and just off our coast up here. In all the times that I have been looking at these charts, I have never seen so much red so close to land and on land. There is still the best part of 40 hours for things to change but the reports have stated that it is increasing in strength. Tricky.!
                                                     Biff

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1211 on: October 15, 2017, 09:30:24 AM »

....forcast for midday Monday looks indeed scary , gusts over 150 km/h expected here

today its dead calm ...

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
eabadger

« Reply #1212 on: October 15, 2017, 09:38:12 AM »

keep safe you guys!
we may looking at chrts get the outer edge, yesterday i was outside in shorts and no shirt and still sweating buckets.
today forecast warmer still and Monday, then rain and storm.
they recon this storm/huricane started where most other end, this weather is getting freakier still.

again keep your heads down.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1213 on: October 15, 2017, 09:54:31 AM »

will do  knee down and do a few m2 of cobbling today   Smiley  have to finnish that path before  the storm comes ....

* go1tmkyl.jpg (423.48 KB, 714x960 - viewed 58 times.)

eabadger

« Reply #1214 on: October 15, 2017, 10:11:33 AM »

look great!

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83 84 85   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: