navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 ... 103   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 199662 times)
camillitech

« Reply #1365 on: January 08, 2018, 10:33:12 AM »

Peach of a day here too but 10 degrees warmer, not that you would know with the bitter southerly wind. Both turbines been milling away but there's just no energy in this direction for us. You would swear they were producing well to look at and hear them but the wind comes down a hill behind the house that must sap the energy out of it. Quite bizarre really as they seem to be 'cutting the mustard' but then you looks at the meters and they've produced very little. Having said that the wind is now gusting Force 7 so I'm sure that'll improve the figures.

What's a clabber Biff?

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1366 on: January 08, 2018, 11:22:42 AM »

Watery mud,
           Or mud churned to liquid.,
  It is a.common building site term.
Excellent output here in both pv and wind
            Biff
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 02:18:32 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1367 on: January 08, 2018, 11:03:07 PM »

Fair old blow here tonight,
                            No leaves on the trees but they are still bending over. Our controllers are blowing off like mad, so plenty-o-ot-water, Still -4.
 Our roads are dry but foolish motorists drive round the bend at the head of our drive like it is normal, the slightest little scud of freezing fog and they will sail off into the bog.(where dozens and dozens have gone before.) Freezing fog can happen quite quickly,,no rain needed.One moment the gravel crunches underfoot and next it is silently bonded together by the mystery fog..the tarmac becomes an ice rink.
    I had no time for my shed today,  The shed roller door creaks and crashes ,even when I stack the cross panels, The roof groans like it is carrying a heavy load, They are used to the groans and creaks but still, they fret and it is cold, freeze. After a few visits, we retreat over the ice and frozen ground to the warmth of the house without any loss of dignity.
                                Biff
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:16:29 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1368 on: January 08, 2018, 11:22:27 PM »

Fresh here too Biff but still 6 degrees and we managed a respectable 23kWh from the small turnip in the end. Had it been a SW through to NE it would have been double that and more I'm sure. At least it's dry and clabber free  Grin

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1369 on: January 09, 2018, 11:00:02 AM »

The originals of the word "Clabber" are surely Scottish but somehow became more used in Ulster than anywhere else. It surfaced in the Appalachian Mts among the Ulster Scots communities who settled there to mine coal. Then it comes up again in Alice Munroe,s older folks with Nova Scota forbearance. Believe me there is little or no humor in either.
But it surfaces in N Ireland in different works,,writings and poetry. W.F.Marshall. If you google the "Bard of Tyrone" you will see his poem, "Me and Me Da" or "Drumlister" but you need to push farther down the page to get the 12 verses or so to fully enjoy it. Marshall is not given credit for being an educated man which is surprising unless you look deeper into his background. He was a dean and somehow "Clabber" would not mean "cow dung as it did to my uncles.
           However I was lucky enough to (or unfortunate enough  Grin) to spend a lot of my childhood among fans of "Robbie" whose little red dog eared books of poetry were just out of my reach until i was tall enough at 10 years old and drove my uncles mad following them around asking  what certain words meant as they regarded me as lacking any brains worth talking about. Their dialect was pure Scottish but they did not like to be reminded of it,,even if it were 400 years ago and their ancestors marched with Charles the 1st. on the wrong side. Strange to say the Scottish dialect in the Glens of Antrim is very different to that at the tip pf the Ards Peninsula, so the explanation must be, that they were planted at different times from different parts of Scotland.
  Stranger still is the fact that one such word can pinpoint it,s origins on the globe.
                                                         Biff

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1370 on: January 09, 2018, 11:42:39 AM »

My mother used to refer to us as kids 'clabbered up to the waist' when we came home muddy from the playing fields of my childhood.
A quick cut-and-paste from the web revealed the following:

Irish and Gaelic clabar "mud."

Clabber was brought to the South by the Ulster Scots who settled in the Appalachian Mountains. Clabber is still sometimes referred to as bonny clabber (originally "bainne clábair", from Irish bainne — milk, and clábair — sour milk). Clabber passed into Scots and Hiberno-English dialects meaning wet, gooey mud, though it is commonly used now in the noun form to refer to the food or in the verb form "to curdle".

Clabber was sometimes served with a specialized spoon. This is a serving utensil formed with the handle made at a 90 degree angle from the spoon bowl, to accommodate the manner in which clabber had to be ladled out of the container in which it formed.

With the rise of pasteurization the making of clabber virtually stopped, except on farms that had easy access to unprocessed cow's milk. A somewhat similar food can be made from pasteurized milk by adding a couple of tablespoons of commercial buttermilk or sour milk to a glass of milk.'

I've learned a new word today.  Smiley

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
2 ten year old Armasafe tank batteries plus a 130 Ah starter battery and a 92 Ah yellow gel item
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
camillitech

« Reply #1371 on: January 09, 2018, 07:51:06 PM »

Well 'clabber me'  Grin

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1372 on: January 11, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »

We got diddled,
                 The forecast said Temperatures of 1C,, But this morning everything was frozen solid once again and the oil in the charger is reading -5.9...
   The hounds meanwhile skippered and slidthered round the bare apple trees, Whatever it was ,,was not visible in my headlight. But it was not one of our cats,,they command a lot of respect and are no laughing matter. Their steam rose slowly in the dark giving the impression that maybe there was some kind of thermal spring present. Such is the joy of a breakfast of munched bar b Cue Chicken and soaked nuts..The sun rose in a milky blue sky once again,,It promises loadsa sun but someone mentioned fog and that is extremely unfair..
  I might get a chance to work on my new 12volt charger today,,Minus  2 ,3 or 4 is not a problem when drilling steel but the wind cuts to the bone and means frequent trips inside for hot soup and a warm up. My supply of recycled wood is going down fast with the stove on 16 hours a day but I don,t have far to go for a refill. Grin.
  Incredibly,,we have bit of a blow tomorrow at noon and a real humdinger at 6pm on Monday but if it is anything like today,s temperature forecast ,,,,,anything could happen. sh*tfan
                                                                                             Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1373 on: January 13, 2018, 10:25:38 AM »

More serious bad weather on the way,
                              Storm from Sunday to next Wednesday. This has been one of the stormiest season on record. For weeks on end we have had sudden blows lasting for 6 hour periods,,then a calm of maybe 12 hours and another blast for 6 hours and so on, This latest offering is a steady blanket of red over 3 days. The wind is coming directly in from the west and the Atlantic ,so no shelter.
  Sudden blasts for 12 hours or 24hours are not a problem but when it stretches out non stop over 3 days, it punishes the Turbine and shortens it,s life span. Everything suffers and for no benefit.
 There are turbines that can handle it like the Provens but they don,t perform well in low winds like mine does. I guess we cannot have it every way.
             Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1374 on: January 16, 2018, 10:59:06 AM »

Heavy snow here at present,
                              Wind was force 8+ during the night. Bank full and turbine braking. The snow is the sleety type and sprays the North facing windows reducing the light within seconds It  is a white out at the moment and visibility is down to 50 yds but then it clears up and melts in another 10 minutes,,so lots of sogggy roads and lanes. The wind is forecast to east off about now and then get going for real again around 4pm..Still a lot of red and deep red on the map. It is a good time of year to have a storm,,all the leaves are gone from the trees but the pines can still take a tumble,,usually in rows. Even Wales gets a touch of red at midnight tonight.
                                             Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1375 on: January 16, 2018, 01:28:46 PM »

Can't beat that Biff, we are topping out at about 60 mph. No snow but driving rain aplenty. Putting up pictures all morning, Mrs T braving the beach with Elliott she is fully waterproofed up and hoping for  dry walk!!  I'm watching the weather sweep over the hills near a warm radiator keeping the cat company.

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1376 on: January 17, 2018, 09:36:11 AM »

The express trains are still passing the house but not as frequent as last night  or this morning about 1am,
               The snow did not lie for long but higher up the mountain, it will be dodgy. The hailstones were particularly bad this time. We feared for our velux at one point around 11pm. The big gusts were coming every 5 minutes and lasting for approx 1 minute, very regular at one point. The hounds have a great way of coping, They curl up and slow down their heartbeat to ticking over and can go for 10 hours + without venturing outside for their toilet and even then,they are not stretched. They don,t hang around though. Grin.Our net connection failed for a short while last night. Last night would have been the worst storm here in well over 2 years,,easily. The storm with no name.
                                                                Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1377 on: January 18, 2018, 08:39:14 AM »

Clint ?? Grin Grin

The wind was howling during the night, must be the shape of the bungalow. Topping out gusts about 70 mph. Nothing like Ireland.

Got a walk on the beach yesterday. Elliott met Rocky an 18 month old collie. Not often he meets another idiot.  So the game is we run around you flat out, up to you to get out the way, (we are not looking) then I nip your bum and now you chase me. Then we play chicken sitting 20m away and both run straight at you swerving at the last moment. Elliott is now 8 and was visibly slowing as we came away. We had a very quiet evening he flopped in his bed and slept the the sleep of the exhausted.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1378 on: January 18, 2018, 09:38:51 AM »

You paint a vivid image of the collies there Tod; wonderful. We too had the express trains rushing by at 3am and they kept me awake for some time.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1379 on: January 18, 2018, 02:47:42 PM »

Still draughty,
              Good wind and believe it or not,,we had brilliant sunshine for an hour or so. Can you imagine how the welsh immigrants who landed in Chubut felt,,The wind never stops blowing. they founded several town and cities and hold the record as the most peaceful colonisers , They got on so well with the local Indians that when the weather turned nasty with the constant non stop storms and winds,,the Indians taught them how to survive. The founded different towns like Gaiman and Trelew and have thousands of welsh speakers, If you would like to go and visit them and fly a turbine there  norfolk be sure to visit Trelew like Harry Longabaugh and Robert Le,Roy Parker did. They stayed in the local touring hotel,,You can actually stay in their room. You will not get to meet the young Catherine Ross but the decor is still the same,,H,mmm.Trelew ie a 21hour bus ride from the capitol, If you don,t take the express bus but if you take the express,,it gets their some 5 hours earlier.
 Now I know you are all Queing up to go to Trelew and fly a turbine in the constant strong winds, But there is a good few thousands miles to fly to the capitol before you hop on the bus to Trelew. All in all, You will get to visit a peaceful culture that could teach the world a thing or two.
  Once upon a time,,many years ago, I had an interest in their local wolf, Their red manes Pampas wolf. Their was a debate on the evolutionary steps,,how close was it to out European wolves or the Canadian Timber wolves. Back then,I was deep into wolves,,from the singing Dhole Dogs to the Masai lion dogs,,from their attachment to society and their desire to stay independent at the same time.  Yet here was a deep red wolf the same color as our Irish red setter,, with big long legs and flowing mane. His long legs were not for running,they were designed as springs and on the paws that had fat pads full of blood that acted as shock absorbers  which also on landing sent massive shot of blood into it,s heart as the pads compacted, giving it extra energy boosts, yet it,s prey was only small, animals ,voles, mice and rats. It turned out to be a completely new species. A big shy softie.
  Dna should have put an end to any arguing by now but the years go by and the interest wanes.
  The wind has picked up again, The bank is full and the water is heating. That cannot be bad.
                                                               Biff
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 07:33:41 PM by biff » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 90 91 [92] 93 94 95 96 ... 103   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: