navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 233227 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1395 on: January 25, 2018, 07:39:06 AM »

Under siege here,
                Wind non stop and very heavy rain. Must be flooding elsewhere. Walk with the hounds was short had to seek shelter behind wobbly Cypress. Turbine has been heating water steady for over 48 hours. Thankfully rain keep it cool. No express trains but next thing to it. Mrs Biff says that the wind has got worse again. It was supposed to fall back a bit.
I thank my lucky stars that I am not stuck in the middle of some job and struggling to get it finished.  This weather would bankrup the best of builders.
                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1396 on: January 28, 2018, 10:26:23 AM »

What weather,!
            Great wind and loads of mustard being cut. There was a discussion on here about measuring output and i had to admit that the only way that i could measure output was noting the lack of diesel being used + greater use of the electricity. The tools in my shed, such as my grinder , drill and sander get used a lot more through my 2kw Chinese inverter.

Still it is not great weather for the community. Work suffers. Machinery cannot go into the fields without destroying the soil, the roads get hammered. Exterior building work is just not viable. So Mrs Biff and I are lucky in one respect that we have this constant source of good clean energy that lifts the bottom few degrees out of the central heating and supplies us with piping hot water before we even go near the stove. Once the stove is fired up. The rads are warm withing 15 minutes. But it is a tad worrying, I have never known as many gales and storms coming in on the back of each other as what has happened these past few months. We had a storm after Georgina that was worse again and several storms since. The good thing is that the leaves are gone from the trees, still they suffer. Our fruit trees are taking a terrible hammering. Out plum tree is well anchored as is the Bramley but the rest are suffering. the ground gets wet and soggy and the constant rocking back and forth knocks them over..
Roll on the spring.
                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1397 on: January 28, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »

Would love to get out but as you say it is pretty dire. loads of little jobs to do but they require dry weather.
Usual beach walk, walked out about 100m (harder sand and easy walking) could hear the see but neither it, nor the dunes were visible.
Very mild and better than yesterday's continual rain and wind

As you say roll on Spring.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1398 on: January 28, 2018, 05:37:01 PM »

We are in the middle of another storm,
                                           No let up,
  It is now 10, 30ish PM and the local express trains are running every 3 minutes, We are supposed to get a rest after 12pm and then all day Wednesday is set to blow again.  Eee Ba Gum.
                                                 Biff
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 10:19:45 PM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1399 on: January 29, 2018, 12:59:04 PM »

Then the sun comes out,
                     And it is a whole different world. Loads of good PV, wind still blowing fresh from the Atlantic,
    The shed calls, Grin
                          Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1400 on: February 01, 2018, 09:05:25 AM »

T'was a beautiful sunrise today albeit with a strong cold wind. The Carsington wind turbines were mounted in the only snow to be seen. I saw the super blue moon set on the Winn right next to the Bergey and the diameter was the same as the mast height. I collected 3 collies to great excitement and off we wandered up the lane for a sniffing session.
We caused the buzzard to start his first flight of the day. He was as usual perched atop a tree on Ridge Lane but just opened his wings and slowly rose in the wind with no other movement necessary.
Stan
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:15:09 AM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1401 on: February 06, 2018, 11:26:29 AM »

I am about to issue an official complaint regarding the weather,
                                                  But I will hold back a little longer and gather more evidence that this weather forecasting lark is not everything that it is cracked up to be. They can get it right sometimes.
 Last night was -3 and arounnd 6ish this morning, as shone the light out the upstairs gable window, into the stygian gloom, I saw with my own eyes, the dusting of powered snow that heralded snow covered ice and decent walking conditions for the pups and I. Out she bounded and frolicked a few seconds before she realised that underneath was something like our modern politics . soft and sticky,,mucky and murky, and of course, if you hang around it long enough, you get sticky and mucky as well. He sedate, yet fragile, growing in confidence sallied forth and  that now he has me monitoring his poo, grooming him twice a day,,Mrs Biff substituting his treat biscuits with slices of chicken breast.  " Ah Ha" Says he, "Now that you know my value you will learn to appreciate me"  and he is right.
  The shed is a cold stand, My 12v charger project struggles forward. the cold is numbing, so cold that I leave the hounds inside with Mrs Biff. I am pleased with the project so far and the fans will arrive anytime after tomorrow, The only things missing are a horn, a steering wheel and of course the seat belt.
  The controllers are diverting the heat to the tanks as I type, With brilliant sunshine and a cutting North East wind, I could get a bit done today. The she d calls
                                     Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1402 on: February 06, 2018, 04:30:55 PM »

It is snowing quite heavily out there,
                                   The council has already gritted the roads in preparation for the freeze tonight. I hear it is quite bad all over England. This is proper snow but hopefully with the ground being wet it will turn to slush and drain away before it freezes.
                                              Biff
  Boy, did I get that wrong. It is 12.30am and everything is covered in thick ice. Even the snow.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:26:14 AM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1403 on: February 14, 2018, 10:31:58 AM »

Such wind in New Patagonia ,
          Monday had a storm from the North, Yesterday was a good force 6 + loads of brilliant sunshine with the Hot water circulating in our DHWT without the W/B being fired up. Today is quite turbulent with the wind roaring in from the south, so plenty of hot water in our tanks. A lack and A lash there is not much doing outside and the Shed sees very little of me. I put another coat of Rustoleum on my 12volt charger frame but got no farther on with it. It took 3 days to go hard. I have more pressing needs and while the sun shone yesterday, I took the Screwfix saw and whipped through a few hundred feet of pine flooring with a new blade fitted. The old blade was fine with the odd steel nail but it proved allergic to those thick heavy masonry nails.. This time I bought a set of 3 for 7, 99 I think and free delivery. They seem to be good but need a few weeks more on the rough stuff to prove themselves.
 It is a desolate time of the year and yet the mountains are full of color even if the trees are stripped bare.. Our roads are suffering from the snow. We were having all kinds of driving conditions in 24 hours,,  Slushy slippery snow, rain and flooding,Sheet black ice,, Sleet black ice with powdered snow on top which is surprisingly easy to navigate but still they odd one gets carried away and lands in a drain rubber side up. Today , only pockets of snow remain but the drains and burns are overflowing. Our feral cats are back in town and have again commandeered the green store. I have not seen them but Diesel and Angel rush to have staring matches and tail waggings. This time i will encourage them to stay about. They are sadly missed when they are absent. Diesel is back to his old self and whatever bug was passing through, he now enjoys his walks a lot better. Angel is a godsend, a glass full character who shares everything. Diesel is one lucky dug.
                                                      Biff

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1404 on: February 14, 2018, 11:23:08 AM »

It's snowing gently here. I'm watching the birdies tackling the fat balls and peanuts in their anti-squirrel globes. My favourites are the nuthatches and a group of 8 long-tailed tits. There's a very useful wind over the whole UK today giving 12.7GW currently on azps's energy.numbers and I expect that to rise through the afternoon. I lost one of the collies this morning but found it later scavenging on a piece of leather that was once a ewe!
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1405 on: February 14, 2018, 05:15:45 PM »

Don't wish to be boring but I'm getting a bit weary of winter.
The TV said that this is a very average winter.
Longing for a couple of days of non rain  Grin
Just ordered a small greenhouse. 6x8
Our garden is tiny but it is all we need!
A bit different from having 2x 20m poly tunnels​.
Today's early morning stroll had us both squinting into the rain and wind. We only do about a mile up the hill and back enough for the necessities. Elliott ears back and slit eyed  not a happy boy!
Roll on Spring 😁
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1406 on: February 14, 2018, 07:08:52 PM »

I don,t blame you for getting bored Tod,
                              Rain and grey skies get anyone down. I guess I take heart from the fact that we are getting such good input and the tanks are warm but the Shed is like a freezer and the only way that i can keep the heat up is to cut wood in the cold sunshine,,did i actually say cold sunshine, ?? goodness it was freezing but concentration on the saw does keep one warm. Mrs Biff and I went over the mountain to Killybegs. The colors were incredible and even if it was lashing rain,,it was still beautiful. I babbled on to Mrs Biff about Grace O Malley who used to pull into Killybegs and sack the place making off out to sea with all the food they could find,, till one day they appeared on the horizon and the locals lay in wait for them. They caught two of Grace,s uncles and hung them,,so she had to settle disputes on Board herself after that. She was quite a gal and hailed from Galway (?), was Captured by the British and taken prisoner to the tower of London but instead of losing her head like other pirates, she charmed Queen Elizabeth and was allowed to go free. The following year she was back on the high seas with another crew. There was no EU then but there was the Barbary Coast and the O,Driscolls of Cork and their treaty.
     I have no idea what they wanted in Killybegs,, there were no big stores like Mooneys for sailing spares. Apparently the locals raised a lot of pigs and that was what attracted Grace,s Uncles.  Costly piggies.
  I ramble,,,,,,,,,The wind never eased all day,,,Roll on spring,,
                                        Biff
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:18:06 PM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1407 on: February 15, 2018, 10:01:57 AM »

We had to shut everything down for a little while,late last night
                                        We had thunder and lightening, coming nearer and nearer and then reappearing after we started up again.  It was staying high up in the clouds and did not seem to be streaking down earthwards. The wind would have blown the socks of you, great for heating water. i don,t want to sound like I am complaining but maybe we could spread this excellent wind, out over 12 months.? Our Y/S is going strong. The blades seem to be holding up good with the latest coat of Gravid 600.
   Maybe in a few years time, we will all make it compulsory for each and every single and prospective politician to have both a domestic wind turbine and solar panels...They should have to learn how to handle them and not get into any kind of power until they can prove to the public that they are properly "Greened" Grin
                        Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1408 on: February 16, 2018, 08:13:40 AM »

Icey paths, roads,
             And chilly winds greet our morning stroll.But the days are longer and the dawn arrives quicker so there is momentum. It,s working. The world is actually tilting on it,s axis to please me.
  Still before dawn,,while the hounds refuse to stir,,they lie like logs on their beds, Looking out our north facing window into the darkness, The snow is clearly visible like artistic strokes on a black canvas, Our turbine is also asleep,,restless but with a full bank.The hounds are faking sleep and not wanting to sally forth into the biting cold. Yet they sport and play when they do. I clap my hand and shout "Action" like an ambitious film director. They hop to their feet and rattle around the floor, suddenly alive and all go.
  The wind is bracing. The road above has an exciting coat of black ice. It was running rain at bedtime and now it is worthy of a go by some South Korean skating champions. How about that for Green energy.
 The ruts are frozen but only only the top 20mm or so. The hounds don,t dally ,they know there is chicken with their nuts for breakfast. Such joy in the simple life.
                                                       Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1409 on: February 16, 2018, 09:20:38 AM »

Up on the beach just as dawn was cracking wackoteapot
Lovely to see the sun rise over the Gower. The sun almost forgotten how to spell that word, so seldom used. Dead calm but the sea was covered with white caps, just enough room on the beach sharing it with a variety of sea birds. Great to see them that close. Fresh but with no wind didn't seem that cold.
Back for breakfast and then collapse into the basket for a nap. Grin
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: