navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 ... 121   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 307320 times)
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1485 on: April 28, 2018, 09:09:23 AM »

They have shaved Meenaroy of all it,s trees,
                             The place is so different now. Thousands of trees like stacked in giant loads ready for transport. Old homesteads now see the light of day, including ones that I never knew existed. It is almost like they have reemerged from the ground,,sticking their peaked,,roofless gables up into the sky in protest, Some are quite substantial  and might have military connections but who would want to stir it in the middle of the Derryveighs,,especially in winter.
This is the pic that I took last night, It shows some dwelling at the foot of the Bluestacks.  I have always taken pics of this lake. I know the place so well that I should be well used to it now but often in the gloaming when the shadows change color on the lake and fuse with the different surrounding hues. It give this air of mystery and haunting. Ambrose Bierce captured this feeling in one of his short stories. It just compels one to take a pic. Years ago when I first went on the net, A Texan asked me for a pic of my locality. I managed to capture the lake in a stunning pic that became her desktop and that of her company. I have no talent for taking pics. I have a cousin who takes pics for the Observer. He very recently walked 500 miles along the Rockies taking pics as he went while dodging the bears. He walked the lot on porridge and water. Now he can take pics, He never stops.
    We were promised some good weather today. To the grindstone.
                                   Biff
   The news has just come in that the EU has banned the bee killing pesticide at last.. I am sure that Martin will be happy with that result.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Westie

« Reply #1486 on: April 28, 2018, 09:32:19 AM »

Nice pic Bif. 

Yes, good news on Neonics, hopefully Glyphosate to follow.

I don't object to Glyphosate for weed control but they are now spraying maize and wheat crops with this stuff to kill them off  so they dry out faster - then they harvest it and we eat it! Mad - just not natural.

Winters returned here, cold and drizzle.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
chasfromnorfolk

« Reply #1487 on: April 28, 2018, 04:41:46 PM »

They have shaved Meenaroy of all it,s trees,

The news has just come in that the EU has banned the bee killing pesticide at last.. I am sure that Martin will be happy with that result.

Evocative pic Biff.

Coincidence you mention Martin - just now came in from the polytunnel feeling oddly disloyal Iím not growing his Harzfeur tomatoes this year...
Yes, good news on neonics. Iím down to one hive after the Easterly Beast.

Chas
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1488 on: April 28, 2018, 07:47:20 PM »

Weird weather folks,
                     Some of us are going to have more snow, wackoold. Meanwhile I soldier on. I got a nice load of hardcore and well set up to distribute it  Grin The hours pass peacefully. I have no bother keeping warm and don,t need any sleeping tablets going to bed.

I would not want anyone accusing me of not putting enough cement in the founds hysteria.

There is still a good few ton left but the chances are I will need more. This stuff sets like concrete and is ideal for metaling, drives and lanes

And then there is the outfit,,the plant, or the proper machinery for the job, There is the dumper,,The front end loader. The digger and the grader,lying parked on top of the dumper. You have to admit that it is the most compact little group of gadgets you every saw. There is no call for trackers on this machinery..Any thief who looks at these,,gets a bad shake in their hand and a twitch in their nose...

Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #1489 on: April 28, 2018, 08:24:08 PM »

Biff, I think your dust might be slightly past its sell by date whistlie, I bet your mixer doesn't like it much.....

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1490 on: April 28, 2018, 08:29:14 PM »

Wait now Desp,!
           It,s only about 8 years out and what is a few years between friends,?
                           Biff
   H,mmm You are right about the mixer not liking it,,One bag of that in the mixer and then no mixer.

Westie

« Reply #1491 on: April 29, 2018, 09:36:31 AM »

Excellent progress Biff, you putting many a man half your age to shame and certainly me who wishes he was half your age Smiley

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1492 on: April 29, 2018, 11:20:54 AM »

Blimey Biff
You are a human whirlwind. You certainly put me to shame, I've been pottering for the last 3 days weeding the front garden. I find endless excuses to rather be doing something else!

Lovely here this morning just had a great walk on the beech.

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
supremetwo

« Reply #1493 on: April 29, 2018, 01:25:55 PM »

Blimey Biff
You are a human whirlwind.

Just maybe??

Let grasses grow and waters flow
In a free and easy way,
But give me enough of the rare old stuff
That's made near Galway Bay,
Come gangers all from Donegal,
Sligo and Leitrim too,
Oh, we'll give the slip and we'll take a sip
Of the rare old Mountain Dew

There's a neat little still at the foot of the hill,
Where the smoke curls up to the sky,
By a whiff of the smell you can plainly tell
That there's poitin, boys, close by.
For it fills the air with a perfume rare,
And betwixt both me and you,
As home we roll, we can drink a bowl,
Or a bucketful of Mountain Dew

Now learned men as use the pen,
Have writ the praises high
Of the rare poitin from Ireland green,
Distilled from wheat and rye.
Away with yer pills, it'll cure all ills,
Be ye Pagan, Christian or Jew,
So take off your coat and grease your throat
With a bucketful of Mountain Dew
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 01:27:58 PM by supremetwo » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1494 on: April 29, 2018, 01:47:21 PM »

This morning on Meenaroy, I never saw this house before. It is 50 yards from the main road on a bad bend. Now that all the trees have been cut down, The bend is no longer blind. Years ago, I used to watch the rain go vertical on this same bend. The summit is only half a mile and what ever way the air currents behave, the lift the rain and blow it upwards. I remember describing this to different folks and even Mrs Biff, Then one day were were heading home past this same spot and there was again,, Large drops of rain rising up into the trees, Incidentally,,a dozen or so of those same trees had turned brown and looked dead. I have no idea why that should be.

The Lower Bridge, It must be 20 years since my son rolled his fiat Uno down this hillside. He could not get round the Bridge, his front nearside wheel dropped in off the tar and the car flipped,,cartwheeled several times,,back and forth across the road and then rolled down the hill, ending up in a drain a hundred yards down on the right hand side. He is like what his Grandad was,,that kind of luck. The biggest job he had was trying to get out of the car because the doors were buckled shut,,the tailgate flapped open so he crawled along the roof and stood up,,there on the road above were the sightseers ,with their mouths hanging open.The steering wheel was buckled,,his seat was collapsed to the floor but he did not have a mark on him. That was a good little car,,strong and well put together.The doors did not burst and it was still towable. He drove ZXs after that,,another brilliant car,then he went and spent almost 50 grand on a merc before heading to Houston and buying a 12 pot Hemi,, My old man all over again. These days he drives a Fiat 500 Abarth and often tells me that he has never enjoyed a car like the 500abarth.

, The town was quiet this morning, This is the square and during the summer Fleadhs,,it is peppered with musicians from all over the globe,,some really good ones. the bronze figures are a monument to the children who were hired out annually to farmers as was the custom here many years ago. In fact it is not that long ago. The Cathedral spire is in the background. And they were upset and praying for Alfie here as well.

The lake again, The little white dot away in the distance is the same house on the other pics. It is a glorious sunny day and all the visitors are out in shorts. There was a suicidal bike race going on as I was leaving town,,The wobblers were on the point of collapsing and all over the white line. the Marshalls were just a bit too laid back and leaving the safety aspects to us motorists which was a bit unfair..Some of the contestants should never ever get on a bike. Getting stuck behind a few weighty ones, i was amazed at the shape of some of their rear differentials, Their cheeks were hanging down past the seat and it seemed to me that there could possibly be some kind of seat extraction service after the race.
There could be no other way,,physics makes the rules. There is something badly wrong. It is a town of two halfs,  On one side you have the keep fits fanatics,,winter and summer running the roads like lost souls and on the other side, you have a town with a serious drug problem,,so bad that you can buy anything on the main street in the middle of the day.
           Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1495 on: April 29, 2018, 01:55:39 PM »

Well put Supremetwo,
                      They make famous stuff here, In fact a Japanese lady asked my son for a bottle of the local brew. She had heard that it was a cure for all kinds of ailments. She took it to a posh gathering in Strasbourg and when my son asked her how it went, She said   "Great,,Great,,we had Great time"  but  "Great Nobody seems to remember much about it"
  My cousin Rog, the Rockies walker ,,plays that on his tin whistlie,,H,Mmmmmm.
                         Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1496 on: April 29, 2018, 02:08:50 PM »

Nicely said Supreme 2

Great to see the pics Biff Grin

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1497 on: May 01, 2018, 11:37:27 AM »

Just google "Snow joke Donegal" and see how things were a few hours after I returned up the mountain on Sunday afternoon last, the 29th,
  This is quite a famous stretch of road, It is frankly addictive and if you wanted to know what your car was like and how it could handle, this is the road that can show you.
  The photo taken in the "Show Joke Donegal "approx 6pm on Sunday evening shows the top of this particular bray or hill with the cars descending through the snow. When I passed down through this area yesterday some 24 hours later, I had no idea what had happened but I did notice that all the drains and grasses were flattened,,Normally the sides of the drains would be covered in dead grass or shrubs but the sides went straight down ,,some 20 ft to the bottom. There was this little niggle in the back of my mind,,something was not right but I did not know what it was, Then i found out this morning when a neighbour was telling me that he got bogged in the snow in Meenaroy, Sunday evening,,, I thought he was joking,,then he ranted about the 40 cars in a hotel carpark down south that had all their windscreens shattered by hail stones as big as golf balls. I tried to copy and past that Snow joke pic but it was too big.
   The pics may not look steep but believe me, it falls away at an alarming rate and if you are coming down fast and not paying attention, meeting another car on the bridge is simple Russian Roulette. Gravity can be a buxxer. I have lost count of the foreign drivers who have crashed into this bridge, We do our best for them and phone for help but I recall an Italian group who had just hired their Focus in L,Kenny 30 minutes previously, the driver hit the bottom, right hand corner of the bridge, bounced of it and struck a car coming down on the driver,s door. She was a nurse and seemed to be fine while she tended to the Italians ,,2 of whome were lying stretched out in a small slap entry into a field to the left below the bridge, It was a terrible start to their holiday,, no booze just a sensible group in their mid 20s early 30s. All I could do was just wait with them till the medics arrived, They had no English at all. Their is no forgivness in that concrete bridge.
 It is bucketing down out there, My toys must feel unwanted and unloved, My digger, Dumper and Front end Loader will depreciate in value.
                                Biff
  Such rain, non stop, My gullies and drain are working. The local roads are all flooded,,just a nasty miserable day,,,sniff sniff sniff
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:59:52 PM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1498 on: May 08, 2018, 09:22:16 AM »

A week later and the weather has been excellent for RE,
                                                  Our Tanks have been kept toasty roasty. My travels over Meenaroy are no longer required and life at New Patagonia returns to normal. And it is windy, I have never known it as windy as this. The excavations and tribulations at the rear of our house have been progressing slowly but surely and has become a kind of open air home gym. No sooner had I begun than I had to trip daily north to L,Kenny. and now we have visitors and on top of all that, poor Angel has gone into heat.We can cope. The weather may be windy but it is warm and her kennel is comfortable. He sang the whole night long, The boards in the downstairs lounge vibrate as the sound passes through his chest which rests on the floor..They are walked separately , He first. He leaves messages for her doing body rolls at the very bottom of our rear lawn, She checks all the peemails and then races to copy his roll. It is all not jolly good fun and Diesel does suffer but he obeys without histronics. She gets time with me in the evenings in the shed. The shed is her paradise and she spend her time checking everything to see if it is int he right place, then fetching all the different little logs that i leave for her. It is a dam,d good job that she does not do phantom pregnancies or I would have real trouble. She is in fact the most normal Bytch that I have ever owned in that respect. She would dearly love a family but resigns herself to spinsterhood . I do promise to have her spayed but am loath to do so because she is such a valuable dog and I know I would instantly regret it. As long as I water down the peemails and walk her first, Diesel can cruise through it all and a few days without food will do him no harm. I seldom if ever ,deny him anything and in the evenings when I watch the tv, He occasionally comes over and places his big paw on my knee and sticks the back of his head on my chest. Our visitors are curious and ask what is wrong but I just shake my head and say "Ah,ha" quietly and he glides away across the floor to the corner, hurt. He just wanted to see her,,just once, just for a minute, Life is brutal,.
I tell him that in a weeks time ,everything will be fine and that they will be playing as usual on the rear lawn once again. He understands every word.
 The misty rain is clearing up and hopefully I will get out and get on with the hardcore spreading and screed laying.. All is good..
                                        Biff
 I had to correct this because I had written that she was walked first which was wrong. wackoold  It is important to walk him first and if it don't rain, take a watering can and dilute the messages. He still finds them but they have much less power. Happy to report, we are coming out of the woods and things will return to normal shortly.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 11:02:07 AM by biff » Logged

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1499 on: May 09, 2018, 09:15:57 AM »

You could get drunk on the beauty and scents. This year, the apple trees and cherry trees have blossom at the same time. They could not be carrying more blossom. The insects are happy and so the birds are happy. You have to leave windows/doors open in this warm weather and so the bees come into the house for some reason and have to be guided out through an opening with a postcard! I've stopped feeding the birds as they should have plenty of choice now.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 98 99 [100] 101 102 103 104 ... 121   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: