navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 ... 108   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 223470 times)
freddyuk

« Reply #1515 on: June 03, 2018, 12:13:13 PM »

Our swallows have returned to the shed where last year they nested on top of the large garden umbrella which was on a couple of hooks. Made a mess of that so this year I made them a nice shelf with an old towel laid in and retrieved the umbrella. They decide to nest over on the tool rack! I have seen 6 swallows tops this year which is very disappointing but at least we could get another 6 away to Africa soon if all goes well.
Blue tits in the nesting box are feeding like mad. And we have just the one bat in our conservatory roof which has been there for some years. Comes out and does circuits outside the windows before flying over the trees where you can see a load of them flying up and down the lane under the trees.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #1516 on: June 03, 2018, 12:47:09 PM »

me  as an anti concrete person ....  did    this  with turkish white cement , my first concrete paving since am in Ireland

like it ,   or   the  choosen design ,    , i like to work with fibers mixed in  about 12 mm long polypropelene  fibres ,    50 mm thick concrete with smaller agregat  is fine for patios  and  walkways  , easy to mix with a  drill  or a "Plaster Stirrer"  , will not invest in a concrete mixer again   Smiley

Anyway , just met my "boss"  last night ,  where i was an apprentice    30 years back  , good talk about use of materials  and  to choose local materials   for landscaping , especially  in the country side , but unfortunatly   not so easy and cheap sometimes to find  

Find it funny  or sad i have to say ,  am working in Germany since  6 weeks  and  in two villages, i grew up , both  about 400 miles apart , both get their old historic  center resurfaced , both  use the same natural  pavingstone  ...................................................... from China  , looks like an industrial  concrete product  Tongue ,   but both villages have a big history of  cobble stones from the area  .

One village  near the river Rhein  and the french  border , much older than 700 years , is cobbled with  gravel cobbles from that river , like big eggs  cracked in the middle to get a flat surface ,  i think the most beautifull pavement i have ever seen  ...  still available ,  so why on earth import chinese granit ?  , i mean i have no problem to work in present times , but  to not try to interconnect  times and materials  from a planning idea  , is something that i  really dislike  , same here in Kulmbach  , where i went to school now  same paving  placed   from China , and that area is famous for its antic granit cobbles   and plenty of reclaimed ones on the parket for peanuts ( Hitler used to cobble the Autobahn  that later  got just over teamaged )  

* concrete.jpg (497.52 KB, 1969x1575 - viewed 261 times.)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 12:55:11 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1517 on: June 03, 2018, 04:06:39 PM »

Looks great Billi
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1518 on: June 09, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »

The weather stayed overcast but the rain stayed away and finally, i got to the last section beside the ramp and installed two sleeves for a small 18inch barrier next to the ramp.
   Eventually there will be a conservatory built and the rear access door will open out next tp that ramp. I am now going to investigate some block,n Beam on steel and then perhaps next year,we will build it.
There is no hurry, It might never happen but meantime, i have had enough concreting to satisfy my lust for a few months.
                                   There is no finesse about it, just raw concrete but it will serve it purpose well and a few hardy plants in planters will take the vacant look off it. the lawn has to be raised approx 250mm and the manhole adjusted to suit and the riser secured with few shovels of concrete.
 It is an interesting little bit of concreting. I would say it is the best documented little bit of concreting in New Patagonia and I have a document to prove it. Grin.
                               Biff

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 12:33:07 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1519 on: June 13, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »

Rain on the wind,
               We expected to wake to the sound of large raindrops beating on our North facing windows but instead we are having shy hesitant sessions of small timid drops that stay on the velux and refuse to run south, After weeks asleep in the sullen sultry heat, sudden bursts of wind have stirred and confused our faithful Yangzhou Shengzhou alive. It is hunting and taking wind from different direction until this mischief has passed over. The drops are larger now. Soon the brown patches on our lawns will turn green and our thirsty fruit trees will welcome real rain.
We seem to have bumper crops of everything this year, chickens hatching, spring to mind but it looks good.
I finished the lawns yesterday evening, ready for the rain today. the dry grass mows quickly and effortlessly. I have used an electric mower, an Aldi special offer, It is light and quick and cuts the tripe out of the rushes.an excellent buy for just under 40euros, We are happy with the concreting job and my plans for the new conservatory are being mulled over gently. No hurry,
 Yesterday,s post delivered a new carb for my Vantage 35. the original suffered a perforated float which could have  cost me 16 euros + 11 euros delivery from Germany, The full carb from Malayasia Hub was 8.50 and free post+ 12 weeks to get here.   
  So after the rain damps the place down, i will head off to the shed with the hounds and operate on latest 12volt charger. Unfortunately it is not the success that i hoped for.It certainly delivers a potent charge and is very comfortable delivering 600 to 750 watts+ in 230 AC but the whole design needs to be revisited, The solid coupling between the engine and the Alt has damaged the crankshaft seal, Perhaps it was originally faulty but i do not recall any oil sweats in that area before i fitted it to the charger, I am now thinking in terms of a flexible shaft or a small universal joint on a thin shaft. I did suspect a fight between the solid engine shaft and the solid alternator shaft. It is simply impossible to line them up accurately but I was keen to get it up and working ,just to see what it could deliver in Dc and in Ac. The seal on the Hyundai shaft is easily remedied for a few euros. The whole idea could be much lighter and better designed but the new coupling will have to do for now. I imagine something like a sparking plug removing tool,threaded on one end. That would protect the seal in future.
      Stornoway was not the only place that suffered a druth, We had weeks of no rain and around here that is extremely destructive for our roads. The bog contracts,,shrinks and sinks between the underground rocks, consequently the roads become bumpier and hillier.The rocks do not give and as the bogland shrinks, the roads facing the full glare of the midday sun,,stretch and crumble under the pressure but nothing that a fresh coat of tar and chips cannot cure, however some bogland bridges will have to be redone.
The place is full of visitors which is nice. Cycle road races are all the rage here,especially early morning ones.They come from all over. There are block wagons and concrete wagons on the road each day and new houses are being built. Perhaps the good times are just around the corner, Who Knows, ?
                                                                Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1520 on: June 14, 2018, 05:43:41 AM »

Rather rough right now,
         Our trees are getting thrashed. They are in full leaf and taking the full force of Hector. Everything is weighted down but our fruit trees have no protection. Fortunately, this is not a long bout and should be well settled by noon. There is plenty of hot water, Grin
     Biff

camillitech

« Reply #1521 on: June 14, 2018, 06:08:34 AM »

Rather rough right now,
         Our trees are getting thrashed. They are in full leaf and taking the full force of Hector. Everything is weighted down but our fruit trees have no protection. Fortunately, this is not a long bout and should be well settled by noon. There is plenty of hot water, Grin
     Biff

Looks like you're getting it worse than us Biff, couple of gusts during the night of 50mph but generally a mere 25mph/F5/6 from the south still https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=IHIGHLAN44#history Mind you it was almost 40 degrees last night according to my barmy Chinese temperature gauge  Grin The wind breaks and deer fencing I put up recently are doing a fine job of protecting the small trees and hedgerows we planted too.
Looks like it'll be veering westerly soon so perhaps a little more attitude with it then. For now we're just glad of that rain, been rationing water for over a week now and been showering at work.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1522 on: June 14, 2018, 06:59:35 AM »

A bit damp and blowy during the night,  nothing terrible. The worse seems heading your way Biff and Paul. I had almost forgotten about wearing dog walking waterproofs!
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1523 on: June 14, 2018, 08:19:05 AM »

I remember as a kid,
                     Spending long hot summers in the water off Culdaff on the Inisnowen peninsula.We would bike the 3 mile to the beach, swim the day away,cycle home exhausted. Laptops, iPhones and such stuff were beyond figments of the imagination.This summer is the nearest to that kind of weather that we experienced back then. 56 was the hottest dryest summer of all. Even our local Togher River dried up leaving millions s of brown trout dying in muddy holes. The winter that followed was genuine artic.
    It is not quite as noisy now but we can see broken branches on our giant Sally from our bedroom window. There are many houses without power and loads of trees down..
   Our lawns needed this rain..
                      Biff
   25 thousand homes without power but we are.not one of them. Odd, just a few weeks ago , when getting ballast delivered for concreting, the chap pointed to the W/T and aid it was a load of bother. Said he could get all the power he needed for 15 euros a week. I really could.not argue. The same  chap is a decent friend and all I could say was that I liked .my independence.,It will take a few hours to reconnect everybody, Still, each to their own. bike
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:03:18 AM by biff » Logged

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1524 on: June 14, 2018, 01:37:47 PM »

Strewth,
       It must have been rough in this corner round 4am, This morning,

, I always assumed that this area was well sheltered but some kind of mini tornado swept through here and thrashed that Sally and Ash tree, The mountain ash are Ok with little damage but quite a lot of branches were broken on the big Sally and the ash to the centre right of the pic.

Bramley in the breeze, This tree produces fantastic desert apples

The Gala seems to be fine, Good enough eating apple.

This looks like a very good crop of plums,There is a lot pf work in picking these and stoning them but it is well worth the effort, I still have a few dozen pots of Jam and fool from last year,s crop. This year I am going to try and make some kind of liquidised drink and some chutney. I have been collecting pots since last year,s jam making session. Grin

So Hector rips the branches of the ash and the sally but spares the Bramley, Gala and the Plums who are facing directly into the storm with no shelter, weird,! but I am not complaining. Grin
                                     Biff

Barrie

« Reply #1525 on: June 14, 2018, 02:08:47 PM »

You mean the plums won't go in the still??

Fortunately I still have a few bottles of the late father-in-law's Poire William, Eau de Vie and Pruneaux to keep us going.....

Milton Keynes
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1526 on: June 16, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »

Hi Barrie
There are quite a few still around here but I leave that kind of brewing to the experts. I have heard that plums make exceptional stuff but odd as it may seem, I don't touch the stuff. I made a running version of the jam with less than half the sugar (fool), great for putting on desert rice or custard. Very strong and tardy. I did notice our guests looking for more.
I have used the "Uncle Ben" type jars which seal perfectly. Very difficult to open but keeps the jam perfect. All steralised in a big pot of steam before use. It is well worth the effort.
               Biff

Tinbum

« Reply #1527 on: June 16, 2018, 09:49:08 AM »

My fruit trees are not doing so well this year.
The large and small pear trees are fine but the large apple has no fruit at all which is a great surprise as it normally bears loads.
The cherry is good but normally drops many before they are ripe and then when they are ripe you have to be incredibly quick as the birds can clear it in a matter of minutes.
The plumb has no fruit which is unusual.
The small apple tree has some fruit but its now going into flower again!!

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1528 on: June 16, 2018, 11:50:24 AM »

Hi Tinbum,
           We had years of no fruit. Nice trees but very little fruit. I read up on it and got advise.I was told that the trees needed potash..I researched "Potash" and discovered that the ashes from the ash logs makes excellent potash, so all winter I spread the contents of our ash pan around the bases of all our fruit trees and that was when we really got.bumper crops.
 It might be that simple.?
               Biff

Tinbum

« Reply #1529 on: June 16, 2018, 12:26:06 PM »

My grandad always used to go on about potash from his bonfire. Grin

I think it is is probably due to the weather as they normally bear lots of fruit. I have the trees in two different areas and often one area does better than another depending on the wind direction, the shelter they get from it, how wet it is and when the frosts come. I didn't see many flowers on the big apple and plumb tree this year.  The rhubarb has done well though.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104 105 106 ... 108   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: