navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 ... 122   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A foul wind a blowin  (Read 323282 times)
offthegridandy

« Reply #1575 on: September 16, 2018, 07:48:03 PM »

Thanks for the advance warning Biff.

I'll check and see everything is strapped down.

Good luck.
Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1576 on: September 17, 2018, 06:07:55 PM »

The day started alright,
                     not a breeze but overcast,
  A few hours each day, but the wettings are not good. Squalls from the south, gusting seriously  but no problem, It is the wind from the west that can give us trouble., The W/B stove in the lounge is great for drying out, When i hang my costs on the brickwork, they dry quickly.
,,,,,There were some bum notes flying from this corner during the summer hols.,Happy days.
  It is getting more like winter day by day with the temperature dropping steadily. Fredarica is not putting on weight. She is excitable so maybe it is her nature. A few night ago,while I was walking down to the shed with Angel, pondering , I saw what i thought was a stone just ahead of me in the gloom, so I lifted my toe and went to flick it to the one side and it skipped away into the dark before I could get my toe to it.. I went immediately to the feeding table and called her. I carry my little canister of crumbled cheddar and she appeared like magic at my elbow. She stays closer to me in the dark and brushes against my coat before taking off into the gloom. She definitely must have night sight.
   My hardcore spreading is coming along slowly, i am in no hurry. the supply was a bit like Andy,s digger man. Circumstances arose that delayed it,s delivery by some 2 months but 2 months is nothing in Donegal. We had a case here where a neighbor, a young man of 21 went to the town for a loaf of bread and did not come back for 11 years. When he came back with the loaf of bread, he brought his new wife and 4 kids and an extra loaf and milk and they were all speaking and dressed like Americans. Yes, we are very laid back up here.

It,s very rough out there at the moment, Torrential rain with a fair old wash coming down our driveway. It has occurred to me, that i might just find all my nice new hardcore in a pile at the bottom, next to the shed., sure I can order another 3 loads and it will be spring and decent weather before they arrive.
                                             Biff

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 06:11:09 PM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1577 on: September 18, 2018, 11:09:52 PM »

Some of the heaviest rain that i have ever witnessed ,
                                  Has been falling for the past 3 hours. There is a healthy force 8 out there and little streams running in every direction. 2 days ago, I ran a cut across the driveway at an angle with the intention of preventing any rain to run down and get between the new hardcore and the original street. Fortunately for me, It is working well tonight,
 Freda went into hiding around noon, just as this wind was getting going, She will probably not emerge until,this storm is over, Strangely enough, she is not a very strong flyer and my original guess work, implying that she had flown all the way from southern Spain wackoteapot now flies out the window. She is not local but probably from the next village.
   I realised that I stood to lose the rest of our precious plums, So Angel and myself braved the wind and the rain this morning and headed off to pick the rest. They were just so ready for picking and i picked some 15 ltrs in 3 x 5ltr water containers. Not only was I stuffing my face but Angel was rootling around down below like a little pig stuffing her face with the one that kept dropping off. They are lovely and sweet. I delivered a 5ltr jar each to two neighbors. I could not stand to see them go to waste, My stepladder adventure of picking plums in a gale was exciting and each strong gust would tip the stepladder to one side, Daft , I know.Then Angel became a little hyper after 5pm, She gets very demanding when she has to go outside to do her toilet. The plums did some job on her, extrahappy.But no sooner was she inside again that she was asking for more out of the remaining jar. It has been 8 weeks since Diesel left and it is only now that she is showing a proper spark and spring in her step. It is really good to get her back. We were genuinely worried for her for a while.
  We are supposed to have a little calm before 6 am and then the real disco gets going with the grand finale around 12 noon. It looks fearsome on the charts but loads of hot water. Grin
    Good luck to one and all.
                            Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #1578 on: September 19, 2018, 08:26:35 AM »

Pretty fresh here too Biff but still from the south so not a great wind for generation as it comes off the hill. Should be veering westerly soon and getting wetter, which is good news for the turbines but not so good for the garden. Concreting cancelled for the day, too wet for digging so methinks it'll be a day in the shed.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1579 on: September 19, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/bird-and-wildlife-guides/ask-an-expert/previous/robinsmigrate.aspx

NB this refers to British robins and was written years before Brexit.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1580 on: September 19, 2018, 01:27:25 PM »

Thanks for that Stan,,
                   I have done quite a bit of reading up on Robins, Their habits, mannerisms and gene pools. And Yes our Irish Robins seem to be home lovin birds. Freda was quite desperate and weak when she came here, so I wrongly assumed (not for the first time) that she had traveled great distances , as far away as southern Spain, faint  North Afria, South Africa and with a little stretch,,the south Pole,,What a robin,!!
   Instead, I now have to content with her being one of those common old O,Birdie Robins from the next townland. It is a massive comedown for me. Joking aside, She does look a little different from the norm, especially when she come to the porch window and starts trying to get my attention, She looks more like an Indian Runner in shape than a Robin, when she hops up and down on the window cill  and she is very small. She is an absolutely lovely little creature with all kinds of built in survival instincts that take a while to decipher but make a lot of sense when you do.
 We are through the worst of the storm and in a little while I will go out and give her a shout,
                                                               Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1581 on: September 19, 2018, 01:39:31 PM »

Mrs Biff said that the storm got going around 5am,
                                                          It was lively enough around 7,30am We had a full tank of piping hot DHW. Our Turbine sailed through it all serene and calm, while the wind tore at our fruit trees , pushing them back to their limits. I have not gone out to check them yet but I know that they will all be loose in the ground, something that will come right in a few weeks time.
  The problem now is, there is a bigger more wicked storm brewing for next Sunday at noon. It seems to me that propping fruit trees can often do more harm than good. It is hard to know.
 The latest news is that a women who lived in a caravan on the coast of Galway was lost when her caravan was blown out to sea and she drowned. Not a nice way to go.
      Rough and stormy times,
   There is a window on Friday that will allow me to lower our turbine safely. I think the blow for Sunday is a little over the top. It is coming in from the North West , The red stretches right around Ireland and up the Irish sea, The eye is approx 50 miles North west from us. It is a very angry looking one.
                               Biff
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:44:19 PM by biff » Logged

camillitech

« Reply #1582 on: September 19, 2018, 02:28:44 PM »

Wow, it's really got going here, storm force 10, gusting violent storm 11. Sorry that'll be hurricane force 12 now with a sustained gust there of 74.7mph  Shocked Me, I've just come inside cos it's scary out there. Pretty much full on westerly now and just seen a gust of 82mph. Big squall racing across Loch Arnish right now and heading for the 3.2Kw turnip. That was pushing out just shy of 4kw when I came in and the steel tapered mast was bending spectacularly. Best of it is, the sun has come out too  Cool Challenging weather for charge controllers I'd say  Smiley

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1583 on: September 19, 2018, 03:56:11 PM »

It was supposed to ease off at 1pm,
                               It is almost 4pm and it is still going hammers and tongs. We have the TV switched off, Our disc is flapping about and the pic jumps all over the screen.
  My Hardcore has good drainage qualities. It seems to let the water away without turning to clabber and mud. Good job because the street would be a right mess by now.
 We get fantastic bright bursts of sunlight and then 10 minutes later the fireman,s hose is directed at our windows, the squalls are that heavy.
 Last night, around 11pm, I put out the light in the living room but the room was still brightly lit up, There was a deluge of rain beating down on the house at the time. I thought someone might have been shining a lamp on the upstairs windows from outside, but when I looked out, It was the moon shining through that heavy rain. That takes some figuring out.
   At least our turbine is happier in the rain,
                                                  Biff

Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1584 on: September 19, 2018, 05:48:18 PM »

Looks like Sunday is going to be the big one for me in NE Hants. Ventusky shows 44 MPH gusting to 70 MPH from the north.  Shocked I have not seen that wind-speed since October 1987 gales. I just hope it does not swing to the east, or next-door's silver birch will land on my shed.
Buy rope and tie stuff down. Good luck everyone! fingers crossed!

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1585 on: September 19, 2018, 09:10:41 PM »

Wow,
 We were supposed to slow back to normal around 1pm and then it would be all OK by 5pm. However, the Met Eireann replaced that forecast with the orange alerts .
 At the moment our turbine is dumping non stop and touching 142volts which means that is up above force 8. We have just had blasts of heavy rains which is good for cooling the turbine. Mrs Biff has just called my attention to a massive black cloud apparition rising up out of the sea to the north and west and closing off the last light of the day.
  Some aerated grass,
. Our poor plum tree has taken a hammering and I had to prop it or lose it. 
  A sad end to the last of the bramleys , They proved to be inedible and quite useless for cooking. The other apple trees that hardly ever bore fruit all delivered good crops. It had to do with the bramleys budding and flowering in early spring, then 3 nights of frost. Then the drought. Because the bramley was such a heavy cropper,It seems i did not give enough water during the drought. Instead of maturing to the normal dark green, they all matured to a sickly pale yellowly green and very light.
, I still have a lot of spreading and  leveling to do and roll it with a ton on the forklift but if the weather stays bad,then the ramp can wait until spring as long as the street is finished. If I were contracting this little job, I would be pretty sick of it by now. Grin
                                        Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1586 on: September 20, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »

The forecast for next Sunday has totally changed for the best which is excellent news,
              Everything is calm out there now and the sun has been drying the place. I will get busy in a few hours when it dries up a bit. Yesterday was rough enough. Freda never put in appearances yesterday ,she had more sense. Twice I call her this morning. She answered the second time flying down the drive way like a stone. That is the only way that you could describe her flight. She was anxious and haughty and i was obviously keeping her from something very important, so she just dallied long enough to gulp a little cheese and then bounced about the table before taking off again. She looked in excellent condition, so she must have had good cover during the storm.
  We seem to have escaped the worst of the storm. I have not heard from anyone else. There were some very strong gusts but we have had much worse here before.
When it dries up properly, I will investigate the fruit trees and see what i can do about our plum tree. I would hate to lose it.
          My loading shovel and dumper await, what more could a man wish for.
                        Biff

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1587 on: September 20, 2018, 11:17:23 AM »

Yesterday the forecast for Sunday was for the end of the world, now it is showers with a breeze. surrender

All the old f*rts of which I am one, who dog walk on the beech at 7am turned up this morning dressed like Nanook of the north, no rain , a slight drizzle in the mild breeze.

Just got back to the car and the heavens opened. Now looks to have settled in for the day.  hysteria

'In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act'
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1588 on: September 20, 2018, 02:02:13 PM »

Incidentally,
               The forecast for next Sunday looks to have changed once again, with Wales getting a right old hammering and Donegal getting much the same as before. sh*tfan.
  The Met Eireann boys must be partying in the office.
                                          Biff

biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #1589 on: September 21, 2018, 01:34:10 PM »

Eventually,
 I got to do a few hours work yesterday evening, The sun came out briefly. The wind dropped to a calm and then the midges got going. I completed my target and then decided to ferry in a bag of logs for the stove. Our red store is in fact a 45ft ,X parcel force container which has sat in this spot for a good 15 years. I store the logs and timber ready for cutting in here and also work in here if the weather is too bad. Freda knows it well and has several spots where I feed her in there. And so it was that while i was filling the bag with Angel looking on, we were joined by Freda, a real laid back Freda, A relaxed Freda , relaxed and friendly. Steady and still and interested.
  I did not have my her food container, So I closed the rear of the store and dropped the bag at the front steps. I left Angel inside and then grabbed Freda,s food and went to her table some 70 feet from the back of the red store. It took quite a few calls to get her to come and when she did, she was back to her jumpy demeanor and nervous mannerisms. Something was not right. I was missing something. She would hardly stay to eat a morsel. She disappeared as her Hubby arrived and he too sulked in the depth of the ivy. We have this long stringy cat that appeared a few weeks ago. He/She camps out in the clumps of rushes next door. But Angel is pretty good at tracking and sniffing it out . I thought Maybe, Just Maybe. I left the remaining cheese on the feeding table and went to carry the bag of wood inside, as i turned to look back I saw it, too big for a thrush and a different color and shape, Pecking at the remaining cheese. Do hawks eat cheese, maybe not but they eat small birds and hence the mystery was solved.
     In my blundering and crashing about, I had endangered the robins and in truth they are possibly the only two remaining small birds in our garden.
But feeding her 4 to 5 times a day, in the same spot I was making her a target that the hawk could not possibly miss. That is why she could not stay still and eat in peace like before. The safest places, were the red store and the shed. As a testament to the Hawks efficiency, the plums were dropping off,they were so ripe.The blackbirds and the thrushes had disappeared weeks ago just before the plums could make their lives a pleasure.
  I will now try and devise and fabricate some form of shelter that the robins can enter but with the gaps to small for the hawk and clear of the ground so that the cat is visible from far away. It also has to be near the safety of the undergrowth. Sounds easy enough but in truth, it will be tricky.
            During the night we had more torrential downpours and this morning it was virtually impossible to work with the hardcore. It is giving for dry conditions this evening. I can still spread the gear but not compact it. The forecast for Sunday keeps chopping and changing and now it shows a possible force 8 from the north which is fine.
         Biff

Pages: 1 ... 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 ... 122   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: